Ebola in US

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/10/06/thomas-eric-duncan-ebola-patient-dallas-hospital/16798391/

ArtificialGlory
Gah, what a ghastly disease. At least those people have a chance in the US.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Gah, what a ghastly disease. At least those people have a chance in the US.

Its starting to show up here more and more.

Omega Vision
It isn't time to panic yet. Take precautions, yes, but it hasn't officially spread to America until someone is infected on American soil.

Mr. Duncan was infected in Liberia then came to America while incubating the virus. All the people he had significant contact with are under isolation.

Stoic
The man from Texas just died of the virus. The virus was allowed to cross international shores. This is what troubles me the most.

Omega Vision
The one silver lining about ebola is that it doesn't become contagious until after it enters the active phase and the infected manifest symptoms.

So it's not like tuberculosis where someone perfectly healthy can be a carrier spreading it around.

With diligence, attention, modern medical equipment, and proper protocols it can be stopped, it's just all of these things are lacking in the countries where it's reached epidemic levels.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Stoic
The man from Texas just died of the virus. The virus was allowed to cross international shores. This is what troubles me the most.

Yup

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The one silver lining about ebola is that it doesn't become contagious until after it enters the active phase and the infected manifest symptoms.

So it's not like tuberculosis where someone perfectly healthy can be a carrier spreading it around.

With diligence, attention, modern medical equipment, and proper protocols it can be stopped, it's just all of these things are lacking in the countries where it's reached epidemic levels.

Thats good to know.

Dramatic Gecko
Unfortunately anyone gets it has a 75% chance of dying. I don't like the sounds of that. If it got to Australia, the Northern Territory would be a great Incubator, its kinda scary.

Stoic

I'm not trying to raise the fear level, or be a fear monger, but the man in Texas just died of the virus despite being in America, and treated. How he was permitted to enter the country, or fly at all? This is the thing that has me truly worried about how easily something like this could happen again. What if the next invasion comes in the form of an airborne strain of something just as bad as the Ebola virus?

Could this have been a test to see how easily something like this can spread over here? With the things that are currently going on in the world, I'm not sure what to expect next.

Robtard
Originally posted by Stoic

From what I understand, he wasn't sick/showing signs while traveling. So until we have bio-scanners of some sort and everyone travelling gets scanned, it's going to happen.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
From what I understand, he wasn't sick/showing signs while traveling. So until we have bio-scanners of some sort and everyone travelling gets scanned, it's going to happen.
As I mentioned above, ebola doesn't spread until the infectee is showing symptoms. The problem is that the early symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. Just be very, very suspicious of anyone who's sick.

Robtard
As I mentioned above, ebola doesn't spread until the infectee is showing symptoms. The problem is that the early symptoms are indistinguishable from the flu. Just be very, very suspicious of anyone who's sick.

Roger that, anyone I see sneezing and coughing, I'm dousing them in lighter fluid and throwing a match.

Stoic
Roger that, anyone I see sneezing and coughing, I'm dousing them in lighter fluid and throwing a match.

You better hope it's not COPD.

Lestov16
It isn't time to panic yet. Take precautions, yes, but it hasn't officially spread to America until someone is infected on American soil.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/12/ebola-texas_n_5972246.html

It's happened

AbnormalButSane
I'm slightly worried since I'm immune suppressed, but I think with the right precautions it can be contained fairly well.

But still, worried.

AsbestosFlaygon
All countries should ban flights to and from Africa.

Isolate and contain the epidemic.

Bardock42
Yeah, and Europe and the US.

Asia is our only hope! We are done for.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, and Europe and the US.

Asia is our only hope! We are done for.
Africa is the source of the virus.

Eliminate the contagion from the source.

Bardock42
That's not how viruses work. Since the virus has spread in both Europe and the US, and they are considerably better connected, it can spread from there as well now. Africa, America and Europe have to be quarantined together, if the human race wants any chance of survival.

Unless the danger is blown out of proportion by a fearmongering media...but that seems absurd.

Lestov16
Second infected. Somehow I don't think Rick Perry doesn't have a hand in this....
http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/health/texas-ebola-outbreak/index.html

Robtard
"It's the same hospital that initially sent Duncan home, even though he had a fever and had traveled from West Africa. By the time he returned to the hospital, his symptoms had worsened."

So I think the lesson here is: Any patients that check into a hospital with fever and such and state "I recently travelled to West Africa", they need to not be sent home with a couple aspirin and "Drink plenty of fluids" prescription.

On a happier note, some nutters are blaming Obama for allowing the virus on US soil. Reasons include, Obama wants: a Civil War. To stay in office longer. To make things fair for all. To take people's guns away. Destroy the economy as payback.

Time Immemorial
And why is Obama not stopping flights in the US from Africa when other countries in NATO have?

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
And why is Obama not stopping flights in the US from Africa when other countries in NATO have?
Because he is African-American by nature.

Mindset
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Because he is African-American by nature. ...what?

Robtard

The obvious answer: Because Obama wants to make things fair for all by destroying the economy so a Civil War starts so he can stay in office longer and then take everyone's guns away.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Mindset
...what?
Grassroots mentality of most Negroid people.

Seems like Obama has the same mentality. That, or he doesn't want to offend the black community in the US.

marwash22
Thread title is a lie. There's no ebola in me.

Mindset

Seems like Obama has the same mentality. That, or he doesn't want to offend the black community in the US. Oh, so what you're saying is that you're stupid.

I agree. thumb up

Mindset
Originally posted by marwash22
Thread title is a lie. There's no ebola in me. I actually nicknamed my dick "Ebola".

AsbestosFlaygon
Oh, so what you're saying is that you're stupid.

I agree. thumb up

Mindset
He's, obviously, hoping you contract Ebola.

AsbestosFlaygon
He's, obviously, hoping you contract Ebola.
My posts were intended to diss the Obama administration for not taking any action on preventing future contamination on US soil from flights coming from Africa.

Easy solution is to ban the flights from Africa temporarily.

marwash22
I actually nicknamed my dick "Ebola". because no one wants it, but it forces it's way into people anyway?

Mindset
Originally posted by marwash22
because no one wants it, but it forces it's way into people anyway? You can run, and you can hide, but this dick is gonna get inside.

thumb up

Time Immemorial

Seems like Obama has the same mentality. That, or he doesn't want to offend the black community in the US.

Restrict public flights and use charter flights for the sick would be a good solution but the CDC chairmen says "that will only make the spread in America worse"

How does that even make sense?

Time Immemorial
Est. med cost for Thomas duncan $ 500,000+ add civil cost. Police, clean up etc.

Total cost could approach a ,$1,000,000 per patient. Imagine 100,000 affected then you would need to add the cost of social disruption, $UNKNOWN

TPTP would have to impose a LIFE VALUE formula to manage treatment and cost.

Blogger comment on video

am0uqvvjgxw

Time Immemorial
Fcking world is going to shit.

Time Immemorial
Est. med cost for Thomas duncan $ 500,000+ add civil cost. Police, clean up etc.

Total cost could approach a ,$1,000,000 per patient. Imagine 100,000 affected then you would need to add the cost of social disruption, $UNKNOWN

TPTP would have to impose a LIFE VALUE formula to manage treatment and cost.

Blogger comment on video

am0uqvvjgxw

This guy is a complete moron.

"We will stop the outbreak and protect america and africa, but we won't stop the commercial flights from Africa!"

Adam_PoE
Restrict public flights and use charter flights for the sick would be a good solution but the CDC chairmen says "that will only make the spread in America worse"

How does that even make sense?

Imagine you are driving home from work and the road is blocked due to construction. Would you say, "Oh, well. I guess I will just turn around and go back to work." No, you would take a detour so you could get home.

If we stop all flights from West Africa, people from countries in those regions will simply take detours through other countries. So instead of taking direct flights to the U.S. and being screened before entering the country, they will simply fly to the U.S. via London or Johannesburg and enter the country with no screening at all.

That is how it will make things worse.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lestov16
Second infected. Somehow I don't think Rick Perry doesn't have a hand in this....

Somehow I don't think Rick Perry doesn't have a hand in this..at all.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
Imagine you are driving home from work and the road is blocked due to construction. Would you say, "Oh, well. I guess I will just turn around and go back to work." No, you would take a detour so you could get home.

If we stop all flights from West Africa, people from countries in those regions will simply take detours through other countries. So instead of taking direct flights to the U.S. and being screened before entering the country, they will simply fly to the U.S. via London or Johannesburg and enter the country with no screening at all.

That is how it will make things worse.

Charter flights can still be used. Its called containment, what sort of containment plan is this to not stop it.

If this is the case then why are France, Germany and other countries banning flights from Africa?

Adam_PoE
Charter flights can still be used. Its called containment, what sort of containment plan is this to not stop it.

If this is the case then why are France, Germany and other countries banning flights from Africa?

Stopping flights from West Africa does not stop people from entering the country from West Africa.

It only stops the government from identifying and screening these travelers before they enter the country.

Stopping flights from this region does not achieve your purported goal.

It only succeeds in creating a false sense of security, because you have taken a "preventative" measure.

Mindset
Somehow I don't think Rick Perry doesn't have a hand in this..at all. So you think Rick Perry does have a hand in this?

Time Immemorial
So you think Rick Perry does have a hand in this?

Can you read?

Robtard

There's a patient in France believed to possibly have Ebola. So it seems (if she does indeed have it) their "ban flights" didn't work.

Time Immemorial
There's a patient in France believed to possibly have Ebola. So it seems (if she does indeed have it) their "ban flights" didn't work.

We all know this happened before the flight ban.

Robtard

I believe this happened today.

COG Veteran
So what ever happened to Duncan's gf and her kids? They've fallen off the map completely.

Time Immemorial

Takes time for the virus to present itself. Who knows when the person actually got infected.

Are you suggesting keeping commercial flights into this country?

This is borderline treasonous thinking.

Time Immemorial
Anyone who agrees to keep the airlines coming in from that area is a ****ing fool.

Robtard
Takes time for the virus to present itself. Who knows when the person actually got infected.

Are you suggesting keeping commercial flights into this country?

Yeah possibly. It also seems France didn't stop flights from Guinea.

I'd not be ready to stop commercial air traffic just yet. All in all, it seems fairly contained in the United States, one death and a few people infected and this was due to the Texas hospital originally acting like idiots. Knowledge is out now and better measures are being taken.

Nah, it's pragmatic thinking and not knee-jerking.

marwash22
ebola never hurt anyone.

you guys are diseaseists. erm

Time Immemorial
Yeah possibly. It also seems France didn't stop flights from Guinea.

I'd not be ready to stop commercial air traffic just yet. All in all, it seems fairly contained in the United States, one death and a few people infected and this was due to the Texas hospital originally acting like idiots. Knowledge is out now and better measures are being taken.

Nah, it's pragmatic thinking and not knee-jerking.

So why not agree that public flights outside of private charters be banned from entering the country?

Robtard
So why not agree that public flights outside of private charters be banned from entering the country?

I'm confused how banning public flights but allowing private flights would stop ebola if the method of stopping ebola is cutting all contact. A person on a private flight could just as easily spread the disease it seems.

It seems like it would have to be an all or nothing approach and I'd not be willing to suspend all air travel just yet.

Bardock42

lol

ares834
Because he is African-American by nature.

Holy shit.

MF DELPH
Can't confirm the veracity of this interview, but tossing this in here:

i8m4ZpkXObo

Shabazz916

bcuz that is not helpful... ppl in sneak into the country everyday... you wanna have them sneak in sick ???

Time Immemorial
I'm confused how banning public flights but allowing private flights would stop ebola if the method of stopping ebola is cutting all contact. A person on a private flight could just as easily spread the disease it seems.

It seems like it would have to be an all or nothing approach and I'd not be willing to suspend all air travel just yet.

How would it not stop the possibility of influx directly into America?

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Shabazz916
bcuz that is not helpful... ppl in sneak into the country everyday... you wanna have them sneak in sick ???
Things like those happen even without a ban.

It's better to have a preventative measure, than nothing at all.

Mindset
Can you read? Yes, I can.

Time Immemorial
Yes, I can.

Ur a fool, I was adding in my thoughts as I don't think he has a hand in it..at all..

Do you understand now drone?

Originally posted by Lestov16

Mindset
Ur a fool, I was adding in my thoughts as I don't think he has a hand in it..at all..

Do you understand now drone? Do you know what a double negative is?

Time Immemorial
Do you know what a double negative is?

Yes and quit acting like you know what I mean to change the meaning to your favor. Of coarse its not rick perry's fault. Pull the liberal out ur ass, it stinks.

Mindset
Yes and quit acting like you know what I mean to change the meaning to your favor. Of coarse its not rick perry's fault. Pull the liberal out ur ass, it stinks. Is English not your first language?

Time Immemorial
Is English not your first language?

Obviously not urs monkey man.

Good trolling bro.

Mindset

Good trolling bro. You seem upset.

Time Immemorial
You seem upset.

Sometimes all you have left is your rage.

U done?

Impediment
Back to topic.

Time Immemorial
Thanks Imp

Here we go another Czar from Obama

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-czar-ron-klain/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Robtard
Thanks Imp

Here we go another Czar from Obama

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/17/politics/ebola-czar-ron-klain/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Does this move by Obama not go over well with you?

Time Immemorial
Does this move by Obama upset you?

I'm wondering what he really does, he keeps giving away his job to other people, meanwhile he just hit 192 tee times.

http://obamagolfcounter.com/

Robtard
I'm wondering what he really does, he keeps giving away his job to other people, meanwhile he just hit 192 tee times.

http://obamagolfcounter.com/

It seems like right now he was doing his job, he set up a person to coordinate with the government, CDC and hospitals in regards to a possible Ebola epidemic and set up contingency measures.

Do you really think the President himself should personally be handling this?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems you like to shit on Obama for anything and everything. First you were critical because "Obama hasn't done anything" in regards to the Ebola threat. Now that he has, it seems you're still not happy.

Time Immemorial
It seems like right now he was doing his job, he set up a person to coordinate with the government, CDC and hospitals in regards to a possible Ebola epidemic and set up contingency measures.

Do you really think the President himself should personally be handling this?

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems you like to shit on Obama for anything and everything. First you were critical because "Obama hasn't done anything" in regards to the Ebola threat. Now that he has, it seems you're still not happy.

I want him to shut the flights down. I don't see why that is to much to ask considering our other nato allies have. Leaving charter flights open that are aware and we know who is on them and have proper care ready is ok?

Bardock42

As far as I am aware Germany has not banned flights from Africa, do you have a source for that?

Shabazz916
stuff like this is happening because ppl are cutting down too many forest..

Time Immemorial
As far as I am aware Germany has not banned flights from Africa, do you have a source for that?

I guess Germany has not, thought they had, considering this is all about polical correctness. Mexico has banned all flights as well.

Galan007

Good trolling bro. thumb up

Bardock42
Rwanda To Screen U.S. And Spanish Visitors To Keep Out Ebola

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/21/rwanda-us-ebola_n_6022032.html

Good, finally something is done about these virus spreading nations.

ArtificialGlory
Rwanda To Screen U.S. And Spanish Visitors To Keep Out Ebola

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/21/rwanda-us-ebola_n_6022032.html

Good, finally something is done about these virus spreading nations.

Dunno why, but this reeks of good ol' fashioned butthurt to me.

Bardock42
I think it's a great way to point out some of US Americas hypocrisy, myopia and arrogance.

red g jacks
shit, now i have to cancel my trip to rwanda. is haiti still open to us?

ArtificialGlory
I think it's a great way to point out some of US Americas hypocrisy, myopia and arrogance.

I don't think it behooves a national government to act like a whiny teenager.

Robtard

Why do you hate America?

Bardock42
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I don't think it behooves a national government to act like a whiny teenager.
So it's whiny when Rwanda does it, but when members of US government openly talk about cutting of Africa (sometimes as a whole), that's just fine?

ArtificialGlory
So it's whiny when Rwanda does it, but when members of US government openly talk about cutting of Africa (sometimes as a whole), that's just fine?

Neither the US nor Spain are active hotspots for Ebola; West Africa is. So I think it's reasonable for the US to at least consider cutting off West Africa(not the whole continent though), but for Rwanda to act like the US and Spain are in any realistic danger of spreading Ebola is just... dumb. The chances that somebody coming from those countries is infected with Ebola are like 1:10,000,000 if not outright nil. It reminds me of the times when North Korea attempts to moralize the US. It's Whataboutism.

Mindset
Dr. in NY has ebola, he was recently in West Africa.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/242/631/382.gif

Jmanghan
...The whole of West Africa needs to be contained, I'm not saying treat them like animals, but... If this shit spreads, WE DIE. People don't seem to get that. I'm scared to death for my family cause of this shit.

Mindset
We should destroy West Africa.

Jmanghan
We should destroy West Africa. A BIT MUCH, LOL.

No, but we should come to an agreement to have them quarantined.

Jmanghan
Ebola has been around since 1979, I think. The only reason people are freaking out now, is because it's actually able to kill people.

Shakyamunison
We should destroy West Africa.

Didn't we already do that?

Mindset
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Didn't we already do that? Not well enough, apparently.Originally posted by Jmanghan
Ebola has been around since 1979, I think. The only reason people are freaking out now, is because it's actually able to kill people. It's always been able to kill people.

What do you mean?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Ebola has been around since 1979, I think. The only reason people are freaking out now, is because it's actually able to kill people.
Way before that.

Omega Vision
They also banned all flights from ebola-stricken nations, so I think it's mostly just Rwanda being overly cautious.

AsbestosFlaygon
LOL @ Rwanda banning the US.

Chances are high they'll contract the virus from their neighboring countries soon.

Omega Vision
LOL @ Rwanda banning the US.

Chances are high they'll contract the virus from their neighboring countries soon.
Do you know where Rwanda is in Africa? It's not really close at all to the countries affected by the ebola epidemic.

BlackZero30x
The only thing I have to say is It feels like that doctor in NY should have been red flagged. I mean considering he was in west Africa trying to help treat it and the "Ebola scare" the US already had you would think that was something they would have wanted to check him for....

jinXed by JaNx
I still believe al flights from Africa need to be quarantined. As well as with anyone who has been in contact with with, Africa, recently. If its a no joke scenario then treat it as such, Not as one that gets people used to the idea of having Ebola in the country. This administration has really let things go. You have Ebola? Yea, let it in the country, we can beat it. Bullshit.

Bardock42
Medical advisors to the administration suggest that doing what you propose would have negative consequences both for the situation worldwide and potentially the situation in the US.

Omega Vision
Quarantining flights from ebola-stricken countries will mean that medical volunteers who go there will be unable to come back.

Ergo, no one will volunteer to help said ebola-stricken countries and the situation will just get worse.

Omega Vision
I think that medical professionals returning from ebola-effected regions should be expected to adhere to reasonable standards of hygiene and should be required to check in with medical professionals regularly after coming back to America until such time as the window of infection has passed, but a full quarantine is too much.

Mindset
I think they should be put in a bubble for 30 days.

Omega Vision
In your basement?

Genesis-Soldier
yo omega vision i have a question,
i havent been paying to much attention to ebola is the US but has there been any confermed cases.

in Australia we have 9 asylum seekers who have been placed under quarantine stricter then that of the usual asylum seeker standards...

so basically, hows your end going

Mindset
In your basement? My lawyer advised me not to answer that question.

But yes.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
yo omega vision i have a question,
i havent been paying to much attention to ebola is the US but has there been any confermed cases.

in Australia we have 9 asylum seekers who have been placed under quarantine stricter then that of the usual asylum seeker standards...

so basically, hows your end going
There have been several cases in America. In all but one case the patients were coming from West Africa, while in one case a nurse was infected while treating one of the aforementioned infectees in a hospital in Dallas, Texas.

It's under control. So far 2 or 3 people treated for ebola in America have made full recoveries.

Lek Kuen
There have been several cases in America. In all but one case the patients were coming from West Africa, while in one case a nurse was infected while treating one of the aforementioned infectees in a hospital in Dallas, Texas.

It's under control. So far 2 or 3 people treated for ebola in America have made full recoveries.

You're supposed to tell everyone we are doomed and will all die

Mindset
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
You're supposed to tell everyone we are doomed and will all die Well, we are all doomed and will die, just probably not from ebola.

Stoic
A new case just came to the front today. A 5 yr old was diagnosed, and has the virus.

Omega Vision
Where?

Mindset
Where? Earth, obviously, you big dummy. babby

Stoic
Where?

It was stated on the news, but they were wrong. The child was exhibiting signs of the virus, but they did not have it. False alarm. The child lives in NYC.

Time Immemorial
I think Bardock started the Ebola.

jinXed by JaNx
It's all about the elections. Well, that and the ******* that didnt wash his hands before using the, soda fountain at the local fast food establishment.

AsbestosFlaygon
Quarantine all infected individuals in an isolated island.

Food, shelter, and medical facilities will be provided for free by the US government and health organizations.

Research for a cure can be conducted on those infected.

ares834
Thank god Obama stopped all flights from Africa or we would all be choking on our blood right now. Right? Right?!

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by ares834
Thank god Obama stopped all flights from Africa or we would all be choking on our blood right now. Right? Right?!

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/4422899+_1ce3bc42c5a9922084540b038cc18882.jpg

Mindset

Food, shelter, and medical facilities will be provided for free by the US government and health organizations.

Research for a cure can be conducted on those infected. I thought there was a cure?

Bardock42

Research for a cure can be conducted on those infected. If they flee do we shoot them or do we just let the sharks with lasers on their heads that spit piranhas at them take care of it?

Robtard
I thought there was a cure?

It's Chinese

AsbestosFlaygon
If they flee do we shoot them or do we just let the sharks with lasers on their heads that spit piranhas at them take care of it?
Then we let the piranha-spitting sharks with lasers deal with them.

AsbestosFlaygon
I thought there was a cure?
It's a contingency plan to contain the virus in one place.

It's xyz!
Reactionary scare mongering republican dickheads tend to be like "OMG EBOLA KILLING US ALL, KILL EVERYTHING NOT US"

Everywhere else be like "Nothing happened, get back to being honest"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.