Cyberbullying

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

konfetka
Some of the threads here seem to be a sodomy of bullying. Where are the mods?
Why is a bunch of "brave" men allowed to bully and call others names? mad

dadudemon
It is not bullying if it runs 2 ways (or, in this case, 5-10 ways).

silver_tears
I don't understand the whole cyber-bullying thing, just get off the computer. You can survive without social media, delete your accounts, shut down the computer, and problem solved.

NemeBro
I don't get the whole IRL bullying thing. Just don't leave your house. You can survive without friends. Just work from home, always eat out, and problem solved.

Robtard
Originally posted by konfetka
a sodomy of bullying

http://d2tq98mqfjyz2l.cloudfront.net/image_cache/1341996135552762_animate.gif

NemeBro
It was a fairly amusing analogy.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
It is not bullying if it runs 2 ways (or, in this case, 5-10 ways).

It can be, if it is disproportionate or at the expense of someone vulnerable.

Originally posted by silver_tears
I don't understand the whole cyber-bullying thing, just get off the computer. You can survive without social media, delete your accounts, shut down the computer, and problem solved.

It can be hard to do something like that, perhaps you have friends only available through these means, or more often, you also know the people irl. At any rate I don't think victims of bullying should have to change their behaviour. Bullies (and abusers generally) should be stopped and punished appropriately, both in real life and online.

riv6672
Why is a bunch of "brave" men allowed to bully and call others names? mad

Ha, i wouldnt call what happens here bullying, BUT if someone's annoying you, i'll tell you what the mods told me: ignore button. Use it.

dadudemon

If you have to do that then it is Cyberbullying. No one should have to live as a recluse because 1 person follows them around, bullying them. Your same statement can be changed to show where it may have a weak argument:

"I don't understand the whole school-bullying thing. Just stop going to school. You can survive without going to school. Un-enroll, let your parents know, stay at home in your room, and problem solved."

One of the beautiful things about social media is it allows people who could not economically interact with each other, in the past, now be able to stay in touch. You no longer have to drive 3000 km to see grandma. Your best friend from elementary school? You can still talk to her without having to take a plane somewhere. A person should not be kicked off of those things because of 1 or 2 bad people. They shouldn't have to.

Freedom of speech is not universal. When you say stuff that, regardless of the location or medium, that harms someone (such as their ability to get jobs, make friends, or even when those words cause problems in relationships between loved ones (such as lies)), that is bullying. It does not matter than the person was not physically harmed.

People have literally committed suicide over internet bullies. Their lives were directly ruined by them. Not saying suicide was the correct answer but for some, that is the only way they can see to end their troubles. I know of a KMC poster that has caused at least 2 gals to cry with his bullying.

I know of some people that tried to use me to bully others, as well, on Facebook. I wasn't having it nor would I play their games. Cyberbullies are being researched and one of the things they have discovered is that they are psychopaths and narcissists. Cyberbullying should be taken seriously. It should not be hand-waived and the victims blamed.

That's just my 2 cents.

NemeBro
Originally posted by NemeBro
I don't get the whole IRL bullying thing. Just don't leave your house. You can survive without friends. Just work from home, always order out for food, and problem solved. Fixed, ****ed my wording up originally.

NemeBro
Originally posted by dadudemon
I know of a KMC poster that has caused at least 2 gals to cry with his bullying. Was it me?

focus4chumps?

RJ?

quanchi112?

Blax?

AsbestosFlaygon
I don't get the whole IRL bullying thing. Just don't leave your house. You can survive without friends. Just work from home, always order out for food, and problem solved.

Sad part is, this method actually helped me cope with my depression, back in my "being bullied" days, minus the "work from home" part.

NemeBro
But you shouldn't have had to do it, regardless of whether or not it worked.

AsbestosFlaygon
Do you know how it feels like to be bullied, physically and mentally? To not have any friends at all?

Not to mention the depression and the social traumas it led to.

Those apathetic ****ers back then would do crazy shit to me everyday repeatedly.

They purposely isolated me.

I'm sure some poor kid somewhere is going through that same phase as well right now, with no inkling as to what the reason(s) was/were why they are being treated like shit this way.

The Scenario
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Sad part is, this method actually helped me cope with my depression, back in my "being bullied" days, minus the "work from home" part.

Isolation is only a quick bandage for depression. It doesn't deal with the real problem and in the long term can be harmful. Coping is a good skill to have, but it isn't the same as recovery.

Apologies for handing out a lesson I myself haven't fully learned.

Rao Kal El
Does this means that I should stop bullying Quan?

Oneness
Fixed, ****ed my wording up originally. That's an awful, horrible, cowardly way to waste your life.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Rao Kal El
Does this means that I should stop bullying Quan?

Yes stick out tongue

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Yes stick out tongue

mad

Time Immemorial
mad

laughing

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by The Scenario
Isolation is only a quick bandage for depression. It doesn't deal with the real problem and in the long term can be harmful. Coping is a good skill to have, but it isn't the same as recovery.

Apologies for handing out a lesson I myself haven't fully learned.
I've went through "professional" psychiatric help.
Didn't really help that much.

I'm fine now, though.

The reality of life + watching countless videos from shock sites have given me a new perspective on life.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Oneness
That's an awful, horrible, cowardly way to waste your life. Editing your writing is?

Time Immemorial
Best thing to do if someone tried to bully you, punch them in the face. Problem solved.

NemeBro
I don't think the five foot tall fragile flower with asthma's best option is to punch the six foot tall football player in the face if the latter is bullying him.

You're a fairly big guy so that isn't as much of a problem for you, nor do I expect it to be much of a problem for dadudemon or Bardock.

But not everyone has those advantages (Though in dadudemon and yours case I'll concede hard work went into your size), and for some people it just isn't feasible for them to do so.

A better option would be to try and kill them discreetly, but that assumes they are intelligent enough and ruthless enough to pull it off. Sadly, that is not the case.

quanchi112
Does this means that I should stop bullying Quan? The only people you have bullied are the poor girls you creepily watched after you had cameras installed in bathrooms.

The Scenario
I've went through "professional" psychiatric help.
Didn't really help that much.

I'm fine now, though.

The reality of life + watching countless videos from shock sites have given me a new perspective on life.

As have I, hence the admission that it wasn't my lesson to give.

Glad to hear that.

Time Immemorial
I don't think the five foot tall fragile flower with asthma's best option is to punch the six foot tall football player in the face if the latter is bullying him.

You're a fairly big guy so that isn't as much of a problem for you, nor do I expect it to be much of a problem for dadudemon or Bardock.

But not everyone has those advantages (Though in dadudemon and yours case I'll concede hard work went into your size), and for some people it just isn't feasible for them to do so.

A better option would be to try and kill them discreetly, but that assumes they are intelligent enough and ruthless enough to pull it off. Sadly, that is not the case.

Bullying is sad when you have a size difference. If you the same size, sure try and bully someone and I bet you wont like the outcome.

dadudemon
Was it me?

focus4chumps?

RJ?

quanchi112?

Blax?

I'm not going to name names because I don't want to start arguments, harm others, or bring up bad memories for people. That person knows who he is.

I know it wasn't my fault but I'm real sorry that shit happened to you. You're a really nice guy. One of the nicest on these boards. You don't seem to have let their bullshit get you down.

But you shouldn't have had to do it, regardless of whether or not it worked.

You act hard but you're actually a good dude, deep down. 131

dadudemon
Best thing to do if someone tried to bully you, punch them in the face. Problem solved.

I think those that have the power to legitimately stop bullying have a moral responsibility to stop it. This is what I did in high school. People I don't even remember recognize me on the street and speak of me fondly. Who would have thought? Standing up to those who oppress and torture, for those who are weak and powerless, earns you genuine and life-long respect. Of course, don't do it just because some quiet skinny dude (or dudette) is going to respect you. Do it because it is the right f*cking thing to do.

I think I've said this multiple times. For those that either cannot or will stand up for themselves, those that can need to stand up and put a stop to it.

If you see a kid bullying another (it does not apply to adults, really) and you are physically capable enough to hold your own against most, you had better lay down some intimidation or, if it comes to it, a beat down.

My opinion is not one of trying to be a badass or trying to sound manly. This comes from talking with dozens of middle and high school teachers who are literally powerless to stop some of the bullying they see happening. Some of the teachers are bullied themselves. The absolute best thing that can happen is an intelligent, physical imposing, young man (or woman) stands up to the bullies and protects the weaker. This is not a superhero fantasy: this is something young men and women, who could become our future leaders, should be doing all over. The children need to build some moral fortitude and protect those around them from the jerks, bullies, and psychopaths that are in schools. I cannot stress enough that this is THE BEST way to deal with bullies.

If any of you are doubting my advice, go talk to any high school teacher who has been teaching for 5 or more years. You may run into the occasional ultra-non-violent teacher that will say violence never solves violence but I think most will say that if just one student would have smacked the shit out of the jerk, dozens of kids lives could have been better.

Also, it is not just physical bullying. It can be the verbal bullying, too.

AsbestosFlaygon
Bullying is sad when you have a size difference. If you the same size, sure try and bully someone and I bet you wont like the outcome.
It happens most of the time.
And it's not as rosy as the media show it.
Bullying (at least physical bullying) is not a pretty sight, in most instances.
What most people don't realize is that it has emotional/psychological effects to the victim that may manifest overtime.

konfetka
Amazing how all the main characters of bullying on forum i'm referring to are all here advising how to deal with it (not all of you, don't get excited) laughing

Oneness
I know being abrasive or even cruel is childish and obnoxious so I've decided to do my best to change that about me.Originally posted by NemeBro
Editing your writing is? No. I didn't want to quote the original response. I was just skimming through this thread; and, out of no where, you were advising us all to stay locked up in our homes like Bruce Wayne in the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises. I was just claiming that to me, that sounds like a depressing and unhealthy endeavor. smile

Digi

The mods deal with a lot of things on the forums on a daily basis. Most are not aired in public, however, which leads some to believe nothing is done. That is not the case.

That said, KMC's Admin has been absentee for about 98% of the last 5-6 years. As such, new mods haven't been promoted to account for those that stop posting. It's a skeleton crew by any standard, made up of volunteer mods who have been at this for years and have day jobs and families and such. So it's largely martial law as forums go. If you're looking for an absolute lock on abhorrent behavior, find another corner of the internet.

However, there are still several who read reports and field PMs. If something's out of line, report it and it will be reviewed. It's not a guarantee of action, but at least the promise of review.

Bashar Teg
Amazing how all the main characters of bullying on forum i'm referring to are all here advising how to deal with it

http://i.imgur.com/KLyJGLZ.gif

NemeBro
No. I didn't want to quote the original response. I was just skimming through this thread; and, out of no where, you were advising us all to stay locked up in our homes like Bruce Wayne in the beginning of The Dark Knight Rises. I was just claiming that to me, that sounds like a depressing and unhealthy endeavor. smile Think very hard about the context of my post.

Dramatic Gecko
I'm the nicest guy who has a lot of friends that are bullies... I'm serious. My life is weird. One time I got tangled up with some guys from Alice Springs and we were chilling, then they started beating the shit out of two guys... I was like "WOW! THAT ESCALATED QUICKLY!" I high tailed it out of there and hid in my boarding house for a few days.

But never have I been a victim except the odd ****** who didn't like me and said nasty things that I didn't really care about.

Years later... I was bullied over Facebook by someone who was using a friend of mine's account. He was really mean and I was like: "WHAAAAT THE EF?" I later found out that it was ex-boyfriend of my friend who thought I was sleeping with her.

This made me laugh. I'm like the last person I'd suspect was sleeping with my girlfriend.

That's the bulk of my experience with bullying.

Its bad but we need to rise to the occasion and seek help from our friends.

Dramatic Gecko
Amazing how all the main characters of bullying on forum i'm referring to are all here advising how to deal with it (not all of you, don't get excited) laughing

pssst... is it Nemebro??

konfetka
Originally posted by Dramatic Gecko
pssst... is it Nemebro??

Playing guess game? laughing out loud
They all know who they are

konfetka
It is a good thing when all these words are not taken seriously, but some people do get hurt. Why promote such a thing here? Let's all be friends smile

Time Immemorial
Playing guess game? laughing out loud
They all know who they are

No we need names girl!

konfetka
No we need names girl!
Sorry to disappoint you bully hero, no names laughing

Oneness
Think very hard about the context of my post. Oh no, I got it long after I posted my original response; before I even posted the one you're quoting.

If people can't overcome the stigma that's somehow caused by textual abuse; then they may as well lock themselves in their rooms because they're not going to make it very far in life.

Sound about right?

Time Immemorial

I destroy bullies, names and ranks please.

konfetka
Are you superman?

rudester
How about cyber annoying

konfetka
Originally posted by rudester
How about cyber annoying

You either love it or leave it. Being annoyed doesn't bring you down & make you feel bad about yourself, right?

Bardock42
(Though in dadudemon and yours case I'll concede hard work went into your size)

**** you, buddy, those donuts didn't eat themselves.

NemeBro
Oh no, I got it long after I posted my original response; before I even posted the one you're quoting.

If people can't overcome the stigma that's somehow caused by textual abuse; then they may as well lock themselves in their rooms because they're not going to make it very far in life.

Sound about right? I'd agree, which is why I would advise the feeble to befriend the strong so that they can beat up bullies for them. You have to adapt around your weaknesses, and discover your strengths.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Bardock42
**** you, buddy, those donuts didn't eat themselves. I was just saying that you were tall.

Bardock42
I was just saying that you were tall.

idk, I'm small compared to Shaq

NemeBro
Sure, and I'm ugly compared to Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, but that doesn't stop me from being gorgeous.

rudester
You either love it or leave it. Being annoyed doesn't bring you down & make you feel bad about yourself, right? The internet isn't a real place and most young impressionable children or teen try to prove themselves to much. I hate to say this but we are in the age of internet and most of it is gossip plus venting, children need more after school programs where they can learn to play together.

Bashar Teg

it's not difficult at all to figure out who you're referring to by reading your very short post history.

konfetka
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
it's not difficult at all to figure out who you're referring to by reading your very short post history.
BUSTED evil face
I have 2 accounts here

Piggle Humsy

I'm of the same thinking.

When people say they were bullied over MSN etc - you can block people from pretty much everything these days, so just block them.

You can still go online without having to deal with bullies.

Bullying is wrong, and I was bullied a lot at school and was really unhappy because of it, I'm not saying it's not wrong and does need to be dealt with but the online thing I just don't get.

Dramatic Gecko
Sure, and I'm ugly compared to Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, but that doesn't stop me from being gorgeous.

We have similar Thinking. Except I got genes like a Macedonian Demigod.

Rao Kal El
Originally posted by quanchi112
The only people you have bullied are the poor girls you creepily watched after you had cameras installed in bathrooms.

I was going to reply to this one, but then I just remember you got banned so b0205b0205b0205b0205

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by Piggle Humsy

When people say they were bullied over MSN etc - you can block people from pretty much everything these days, so just block them.

Bullying is wrong, and I was bullied a lot at school and was really unhappy because of it, I'm not saying it's not wrong and does need to be dealt with but the online thing I just don't get.

Blocking only works if they don't really care like for a one off argument. If they actually want to harass you or if there are multiple of them they can still bother you. Even worst if they know you in real life as well

The Renegade

I'm sure certain people might take specific insults as bullying, even though that's not really elaborate/systematic bullying, in my opinion. For example, if someone insults you and you've blocked them over MSN, some might call that bullying but I wouldn't because it's simple enough to eliminate.

However, with an open forum such as KMC and other sites (social media comes to mind as well), bullying is more easily accessible and you cannot stop individuals from PMing you or continuing harassment. I completely disagree with Silver Tears position that to stop it, you should delete all of your accounts and shut your computer down. I think that's a part of how bullies are successful.

If you have to leave an online environment or shut down your PC to avoid harassment and/or bashing, that's not stopping bullying but rather demonstrably being victimized by it. The point is that people shouldn't have to delete their accounts or go offline.

It also seems to further lend bullies the flexibility to abuse people online. When the victim leaves their preferred online environment and/or doesn't report it, the bully is free to remain in that environment and harass others. Why should he/she get to comfortably remain there while the alleged victim, in this case, has to "shut down their computer" and leave? It's absurd, to me.

Piggle Humsy
Originally posted by The Renegade

However, with an open forum such as KMC and other sites (social media comes to mind as well), bullying is more easily accessible and you cannot stop individuals from PMing you or continuing harassment. I completely disagree with Silver Tears position that to stop it, you should delete all of your accounts and shut your computer down. I think that's a part of how bullies are successful.

If you have to leave an online environment or shut down your PC to avoid harassment and/or bashing, that's not stopping bullying but rather demonstrably being victimized by it. The point is that people shouldn't have to delete their accounts or go offline.

Well actually you can, there is the ignore button and it hides everything that person does. I know, I've used it. Even hides PM's.

So there is ways to avoid them in open forums too.

And I agree you shouldn't have to shut everything off and hide away but there are ways to avoid it. You can talk to your friends on msn and block people who aren't friends. You can join other forums where the bullies aren't.

There are always ways around it.

And I am talking about online bullies only, not ones that see you in offline.

dadudemon
Well actually you can, there is the ignore button and it hides everything that person does. I know, I've used it. Even hides PM's.

And I agree you shouldn't have to shut everything off and hide away but there are ways to avoid it. You can talk to your friends on msn and block people who aren't friends. You can join other forums where the bullies aren't.

And I am talking about online bullies only, not ones that see you in offline.

You're correct for certain types of social solutions but not all and the most common ones.

Things like Facebook.

Just because you block someone on Facebook does not mean they magically stop bullying you. It just means you cannot see what they are doing and they cannot see what you are doing. But does that stop the bully from continuing to bully you with people who may know you? No. And that has actually happened in real cyberbullying cases that have gone to court.

People like to think, naively, that "online" stuff is not reality. That's not true. There is an abstraction layer between the social interactions, for sure, but that's not going to stop people from feeling things negatively done to them, online: our brains, no matter how rational, are not going to be able to stop that.

These things are social tools and there are social implications from those tools. Bullying can be a result from these tools. Simply using "ignore" or "block" is not enough if you know more than 1 person on all of the internet. Bullying can continue.

NemeBro

And I am talking about online bullies only, not ones that see you in offline. Right, just like how everyone whining about being harassed by Alpha Centauri should have just like, blocked him and gotten over it, lol. I mean shit, I did. Why didn't everyone else?

The Renegade

Socking is accessible, especially now that most socks do not receive bans. I don't think you fully understood what I meant.

It's not as effective as, say, an overly specific example such as MSN. Also, finding information online is easy so there are a variety of ways for people to track you and harass/bully you.

I agree mostly, expect I strongly disagree with your last sentence. The point is that you shouldn't have to leave because a bully is harassing and abusing you within an environment you share. As I stated, I think that's a large part of how bullies are successful. It infringes your right to express yourself where you wish to due to abuse.

That's not a way to manage it but rather being forced away from a community you enjoy because someone is being abusive.

I agree but I think you're conflating ways to manage bullying and ways to give into and perpetuate a bully's methods.

Likewise.

RaventheOnly
I normally just feel sorry for the insane life the bully must live with their obsession with following a person. They must truly be ridiculously low in confidence and seriously messed up in the head. Both sides of such a terrible situation need help. The bullied need to realize that life is nothing but a long road of bullying and that taking people's opinions to heart is pointless.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.