Are you created in God's image?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Greatest I am

Shakyamunison
More like God is created in our image. Its called personification.

dyajeep

Time Immemorial
COME AND GET ME, BOY!

God
I believe that "God created man in his image" can be interpreted in different ways.

Spiritually or perhaps physically.

Shabazz916
we are created in god image..but our imperfections stray away from gods image

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Shabazz916

According to a book written by humans.

Shabazz916
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
According to a book written by humans. says who ?

Shakyamunison
says who ?

Says the bible.

Jynocidus

What does "God" look like?

Shabazz916
Says the bible. who else would have written it ?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Jynocidus
What does "God" look like?

Why would God look like?

Shakyamunison
who else would have written it ?

Humans who claim to be inspired by god to write.

Shabazz916
Humans who claim to be inspired by god to write. you think its a lie because... you wanna burn thats fine and all tho

Shakyamunison
you think its a lie because... you wanna burn thats fine and all tho

Don't put word in my mouth.

Shabazz916
Don't put word in my mouth. the bible can't be explained by human science or anything like that because the science we will have was written before us...

Shakyamunison
the bible can't be explained by human science or anything like that because the science we will have was written before us...

Science also can't explain Gone With the Wind. You see, science is not trying to prove or disprove anything about the bible. Science is focused on nature.

Shabazz916
Science also can't explain Gone With the Wind. You see, science is not trying to prove or disprove anything about the bible. Science is focused on nature. science was focused on nature... now science is focused on $$$$

Shakyamunison
science was focused on nature... now science is focused on $$$$

Well, Christians are also focused on money. However true that is, it has nothing to do with the topic.

Shabazz916
Well, Christians are also focused on money. However true that is, it has nothing to do with the topic. that fact is your are created in god's image weather you wanna accept it or not

Shakyamunison
that fact is your are created in god's image weather you wanna accept it or not

Why? Why would a God look like me?

Shabazz916
Why? Why would a God look like me?

why would a god have 1 head... two arms two feet and a body well idk

Shakyamunison
why would a god have 1 head... two arms two feet and a body well idk

Why would a God have form to begin with?

Shabazz916
Why would a God have form to begin with? well his son walked on this earth and that his form so you tell me

Shakyamunison
well his son walked on this earth and that his form so you tell me

Again it all goes back to a book written by humans. Why should I believe the bible?

Greatest I am

Agreed.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Originally posted by dyajeep
you got wrong interpretation of the word, "perfect"...

Job was perfect -

"There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and turned away from evil."
Job 1:1

and Job is righteous, fears God and turns away from evil... so is Noah -

"These are the generations of Noah. Noah was a righteous man, and perfect in his generations: Noah walked with God."
Genesis 6:9

so when Jesus says we should be like the Father who is perfect, according to context, just four verses above:

"But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you,
That you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."
Matthew 5:44-45

being perfect is being good, righteous and holy... smile

That would mean that God is not perfect as scriptures say he is.

In Job2;3 God says that Satan moved him to destroy without cause showing himself to be an evil sinner.

Not too surprising as he is the father of lies and creator of evil.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
COME AND GET ME, BOY!

I did not think you would have an argument against this.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Originally posted by God
I believe that "God created man in his image" can be interpreted in different ways.

Spiritually or perhaps physically.

Well, God has a satanic spirit and our bodies are what they are thanks to our environment. God never lived in this environment so I do not know how he could have bodies like ours.

Further, you have sexual organs. What would a non-reproducing God by doing with what, both male and female sexual organs.

I guess it depend on how much woo you want to swallow.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

If ours can then so can his. And as you can see by how God id rightfully described, he strays quite often. Right?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
you think its a lie because... you wanna burn thats fine and all tho

Burn where?

You are not naive or gullible enough to believe in hell are you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF6I5VSZVqc

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
that fact is your are created in god's image weather you wanna accept it or not

Are you saying that all of us are capable of being genocidal son murdering pricks?

Regards
DL

dyajeep
Originally posted by Greatest I am
That would mean that God is not perfect as scriptures say he is.

In Job2;3 God says that Satan moved him to destroy without cause showing himself to be an evil sinner.

Not too surprising as he is the father of lies and creator of evil.

Regards
DL

do you know the story of Job? if so, your post is inappropriate...

Mindset
If God is a psychopath, then yes.

Greatest I am
do you know the story of Job? if so, your post is inappropriate...

I know the story and my post is the truth even if you do not like the truth.

For a God to do or allow evil on a bet is quite immoral. Live with your immoral God if you like. Moral men will reject such a vile God.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Originally posted by Mindset
If God is a psychopath, then yes.

He is and then some.

Regards
DL

red g jacks
if there is a god i would say we're created in its image in the fact that basically the rules it set up dictated the path that our evolution ultimately took and the strategies and personalities we have adopted as a result.

Oneness
God would work as men and women alike.

The setup is entirely anthropocentric.

Great men have suffered for trying to end suffering.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by red g jacks
if there is a god i would say we're created in its image in the fact that basically the rules it set up dictated the path that our evolution ultimately took and the strategies and personalities we have adopted as a result.

But wouldn't that be true with every other animal?

I think the point of being made in the image of a god was to raise humans above other animals.

Of course it's human arrogance to place ourselves above other animals.

red g jacks
yea, i would say it's true of nature in general. i'm not saying that's what the bible was trying to say.

dyajeep
I know the story and my post is the truth even if you do not like the truth.

For a God to do or allow evil on a bet is quite immoral. Live with your immoral God if you like. Moral men will reject such a vile God.

Regards
DL

if you don't know the God of the Bible, then you'll definitely see Him as vile...

Shakyamunison
if you don't know the God of the Bible, then you'll definitely see Him as vile...

Are you referring to some kind of Christian Mysticism? Otherwise, reading the bible should tell everyone the some thing.

dyajeep
Are you referring to some kind of Christian Mysticism? Otherwise, reading the bible should tell everyone the some thing.

i don't know... maybe i understand different because i see God as good, merciful, fair and caring...

Shakyamunison
i don't know... maybe i understand different because i see God as good, merciful, fair and caring...

Then you have not read the bible.

Genesis 6:7
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

Greatest I am
Originally posted by red g jacks

As an esoteric ecumenist and Gnostic Christian, I think you take a good position.

Have a look at this. You will likely agree with it, especially if you are familiar with Freud and Jung's Father complex theories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1PDxeUynA

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Greatest I am

Does your own bible not say that God is un-knowable, unfathomable and works in mysterious ways?

How can you know what your bible says is un-knowable?

Or is your bible lying?

Regards
DL

dyajeep
Then you have not read the bible.

Genesis 6:7
And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.

God repented that He made who?

"The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually."
Genesis 6:5

evil people... not good ones, that's why He saved Noah...

Does your own bible not say that God is un-knowable, unfathomable and works in mysterious ways?

How can you know what your bible says is un-knowable?

Or is your bible lying?

Regards
DL

can you please give the verse that says what you said?

Shakyamunison
God repented that He made who?

"The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually."

evil people... not good ones, that's why He saved Noah...

Sorry, but that sounds like a rationalization for an "evil" action done by god.

Fortunately, I don't believe that the flood story is literal, and god didn't murder all those people.

dyajeep
Sorry, but that sounds like a rationalization for an "evil" action done by god.

context, man...

Shakyamunison
context, man...

The idea that every person on the Earth was evil except for Noah and his family is absurd, and is most likely a rationalization by the writers of the story of the floor. No one wants to think of god as a mass murderer. It must of somehow been justified.

dyajeep
The idea that every person on the Earth was evil except for Noah and his family is absurd, and is most likely a rationalization by the writers of the story of the floor. No one wants to think of god as a mass murderer. It must of somehow been justified.

it's not absurd because the power of God is also written in the Bible:

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it?
I the Lord search the mind and try the heart, to give to every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings."
Jeremiah 17:9-10

"Whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."
I John 3:20

God has the power to read the minds and hearts of all people... and that's what God "saw" ---

and how can you say that God is a murderer when He was the one who gave life in the first place?

"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man,
nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything."
Acts 17:24-25

this is on a Bible-believer's POV, shak... i know your rebuttals will end up like the Bible is fiction and a myth... stick out tongue

Star428
it's not absurd because the power of God is also written in the Bible:

"The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately corrupt; who can understand it?
I the Lord search the mind and try the heart, to give to every man according to his ways, according to the fruit of his doings."
Jeremiah 17:9-10

"Whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything."
I John 3:20

God has the power to read the minds and hearts of all people... and that's what God "saw" ---

and how can you say that God is a murderer when He was the one who gave life in the first place?

"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand."
Deuteronomy 32:39

"The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in shrines made by man,
nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all men life and breath and everything."
Acts 17:24-25

this is on a Bible-believer's POV, shak... i know your rebuttals will end up like the Bible is fiction and a myth... stick out tongue

Well said.

Shakyamunison

dyajeep

Shakyamunison
see, i already know you, shak... laughing

God is not understandable by humans, so, how do we understand God? The answer is that we use an analogy, and that is us. The bible is written about humans trying to understand the imposable by understanding ourselves. God never does anything. It is always humans or nature that does the doing.

The flood? Was not worldwide, and was not god wiping out the wicked. It was a natural disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_deluge_hypothesis

dyajeep
God is not understandable by humans, so, how do we understand God? The answer is that we use an analogy, and that is us.

i was under the impression that you don't believe that there is a God...

is there a God or not?

Shakyamunison
i was under the impression that you don't believe that there is a God...

is there a God or not?

There are lots of gods. However, God is not a personification. God doesn't want or need. I use the word God to communicate with you. In my religion I wouldn't use the word God. I would use the Mystic Law. All humans throughout time have been trying to understand the Mystic Law. The word God is a place holder for something we do not understand. Kind of like "Dark Matter" is used in science to name something that we don't understand.

Long ago, humans didn't understand most of the world around them. But humans always try to understand, and when they can't, they fill the void with gods. The wind was a god, the ocean was a god, and the mountain was a god. Once we begin to understand the world around us, these gods were no longer needed. What we have left (or eventually will have left) is the unknowable God. This is the Mystic Law. Feel free to call it God, but don't pretend to understand it, because you don't, and nether do I.

atv2
I believe that mankind was created in God's image, Man had dominion over the Earth and all life on it, He lived forever, never had to worry about sickness, pain or sorrow Man experienced Heaven on Earth however when the rebellion came from Adam and Eve and sin's influence spread throughout time, it became easy for Man to start God in their image. They place limits on him and creating idols. When Man submits to God then it will be easy for them to themselves in God's Image.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by atv2
I believe that mankind was created in God's image, Man had dominion over the Earth and all life on it, He lived forever, never had to worry about sickness, pain or sorrow Man experienced Heaven on Earth however when the rebellion came from Adam and Eve and sin's influence spread throughout time, it became easy for Man to start God in their image. They place limits on him and creating idols. When Man submits to God then it will be easy for them to themselves in God's Image.

Do you believe there were more people then Adam and Eve in the garden?

dyajeep
There are lots of gods.

well, that's also Biblical... the Bible also says there are many gods...

"For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth--as indeed there are many gods and many lords--"
I Corinthians 8:5

I use the word God to communicate with you. In my religion I wouldn't use the word God. I would use the Mystic Law.

fair enough... but i won't tackle further though...

Feel free to call it God, but don't pretend to understand it, because you don't, and nether do I.

understand completely? of course not, nor i pretend to be...

"And now, having known God -- and rather being known by God -- how turn ye again unto the weak and poor elements to which anew ye desire to be in servitude?"
Galatians 4:9

even Paul acknowledges the term "being known by God" is better than "having known God"... Christians (in the Bible) should be able to take a glimpse of knowing God by having fellowship with Jesus... and with that, having the mind of Christ:

"For who has known the mind of the Lord so as to instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ."
I Corinthians 2:16

yet again, i do not claim to understand God completely... no one does, and you are correct on that:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts."
Isaiah 55:8-9

Shakyamunison

dyajeep
Why not? Maybe you might learn something, oh wait! You already know everything about me.

well, i know how you would respond though... stick out tongue

Completely? An unknowable God is not able to be known, not even 1%.

i never said completely... i just agreed that God cannot be known/understood completely...

BUT, by having fellowship with Jesus, Christians (in the Bible) should be able to take a glimpse of knowing God, for at least 0.99% that is... and that's one of the reasons why Jesus was sent...

Bentley
Yes, the Christian religion has three of them, well four if you count Satan.

Satan is technically an angel. But to be fair it's pretty difficult to explain what the other gods are in Relationship with the The One True God of Christianity.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Bentley
Satan is technically an angel. But to be fair it's pretty difficult to explain what the other gods are in Relationship with the The One True God of Christianity.
The father, the son (Jesus) and the holy spirit. That would make three. I only added Satan because of his popularity. Think about it, more people talk about Satan then the father, or the holy spirit.

dyajeep

let me try, Bentley... smile

in the Bible/Christianity, there is a Supreme Being, and that is the Father... and He has a Son - who was sent to earth, manifested in the flesh and His name is Jesus Christ... then, there's the Holy Spirit/Ghost, a spirit who came from the Father...

the three is called the Godhead (not the trinity)... Their being or form (or state of being) are Gods... but They have hierarchy on greatness...

"Who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,"
Philippians 2:6

here it says the Father and Son are equal in form - both are in the form of Gods...

on greatness, Jesus said:

"You heard me say to you, I go away, and I will come to you. If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I go to the Father; for the Father is greater than I."
John 14:28

"My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand."
John 10:29

the Father is greater than both the Son and Holy Spirit... which also destroys the trinitarian doctrine that all Three are equal... now, who's greater? the Son or Holy Spirit?

"Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him."
John 13:16

"But when the Counselor comes, whom I shall send to you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness to me;"
John 15:26

the "sender" is always greater than the "sendee", so if Jesus has the authority to send the Counselor (Holy Spirit), then He is greater than the Holy Spirit...

about satan, yes he was once an angel... but he was also dubbed as the self-proclaimed "god/prince of this world"...

Bentley
the Father is greater than both the Son and Holy Spirit... which also destroys the trinitarian doctrine that all Three are equal

I meant to clarify the substance of the false gods or Pagan gods in christian theology, not discuss about the Trinity.

That second topic I wanted to avoid because we all know everything goes ape sh*t when things get trinitarian/not trinitarian mmm

dyajeep
I meant to clarify the substance of the false gods or Pagan gods in christian theology, not discuss about the Trinity.

That second topic I wanted to avoid because we all know everything goes ape sh*t when things get trinitarian/not trinitarian mmm

sorry about that! stick out tongue

as far as i know, in the Bible, both in Old Testament and New, false gods are depicted to be graven images:

"You shall have no other gods before me.
You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me,"
Exodus 20:3-5

"Being then the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and device of man."
Acts 17:29

spiritually, idolatry is also depicted like this:

"For rebellion is as the sin of divination, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because you have rejected the word of the Lord, he has also rejected you from being king."
I Samuel 15:23

"Put to death therefore what is earthly in you: fornication, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry."
Colossians 3:5

bluewaterrider

dyajeep
Originally posted by bluewaterrider
It's more than that, Dyajeep. Far more.

agreed! thumb up

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
It might be worth pointing out that there is, in the Bible at least, a difference between God designated by a capital "G" and god designated by a lower case "g".

you are correct... but not all "gods" in the Bible are false... some "gods" in the Bible pertain to children of God:

"I say, You are gods, sons of the Most High, all of you;"
Psalms 82:6

"Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, you are gods?
If he called them gods to whom the word of God came (and scripture cannot be broken),"
John 10:34-35

Bentley
Yes, you can find both kinds of references in the Bible, even the christian tradition is pretty wide about the existence of different gods.

dyajeep
Yes, you can find both kinds of references in the Bible, even the christian tradition is pretty wide about the existence of different gods.

thumb up

fcnsc
FACT

S_W_LeGenD
Human beings 'are created in God's image' in the sense that human beings have unparalleled cognitive and activity potential in comparison to other life-forms in the world just like God have unparalleled cognitive and activity potential in comparison to all other beings in the Universe. This is my take on this matter.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Human beings 'are created in God's image' in the sense that human beings have unparalleled cognitive and activity potential in comparison to other life-forms in the world just like God have unparalleled cognitive and activity potential in comparison to all other beings in the Universe. This is my take on this matter.

The why are we so much like all other animals? If you look at our DNA, you will see that we are 98% the same as chimpanzees.

S_W_LeGenD
The why are we so much like all other animals? If you look at our DNA, you will see that we are 98% the same as chimpanzees.
How exactly are we "so much" like all other animals? Do you feel that humans and goats are very similar for example?

Similarity with chimpanzees is also superficial. Chimpanzees still live in the jungle and are unable to innovate like human beings.

Bentley
We don't know whether we have more potential than all other animals, we know we are currently the most developped brain on this planet. Let's not blow it out of proportion.

Shakyamunison
How exactly are we "so much" like all other animals? Do you feel that humans and goats are very similar for example?

Similarity with chimpanzees is also superficial. Chimpanzees still live in the jungle and are unable to innovate like human beings.

I have a head, a body and four limbs. So does a goat. I have a brain, liver, heart, stomach, lungs and intestines. And so does a goat. I have eyes, hair and... you get the point.

And 98% similarities in DNA to chimpanzees is not superficial. That means humans and chimpanzees are only different superficially. At the most fundamental level we are the same.

The reason humans resemble an animal is because we are animals. Just because we have more intelligence then other animals is no reason to separate us from other animals. Evolution does not choose for intelligence. Evolution chooses survival.

S_W_LeGenD
I have a head, a body and four limbs. So does a goat. I have a brain, liver, heart, stomach, lungs and intestines. And so does a goat. I have eyes, hair and... you get the point.

And 98% similarities in DNA to chimpanzees is not superficial. That means humans and chimpanzees are only different superficially. At the most fundamental level we are the same.

The reason humans resemble an animal is because we are animals. Just because we have more intelligence then other animals is no reason to separate us from other animals. Evolution does not choose for intelligence. Evolution chooses survival.
You have not understood my point:

I don't get your counter-argument of similarities between humans and other animals. Of-course, humans are living beings like other animals and their would be biological similarities in this context.

Shakyamunison
You have not understood my point:

I don't get your counter-argument of similarities between humans and other animals. Of-course, humans are living beings like other animals and their would be biological similarities in this context.

So, are you telling me that you can only be human if you are intelligent?

Is a mentally handicapped individual not made in the image of god?

What about a person who is in a vegetative state?

S_W_LeGenD
So, are you telling me that you can only be human if you are intelligent?
Is it not an important characteristic of a human being?

Is a mentally handicapped individual not made in the image of god?

What about a person who is in a vegetative state?
How are medical conditions and complications relevant to this discussion?

Bentley
Is it not an important characteristic of a human being?

How are medical conditions and complications relevant to this discussion?

Your argument heavily implies that mentally handicapped people are not made in the image of God, thus excluded entirely from mankind when it comes to their relationship with God.

Surtur
God is a construct of our own creation. So basically we Green Lantern'd that motherf*cker.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Surtur
God is a construct of our own creation. So basically we Green Lantern'd that motherf*cker.

thumb up laughing out loud

Your argument heavily implies that mentally handicapped people are not made in the image of God, thus excluded entirely from mankind when it comes to their relationship with God.

thumb up

S_W_LeGenD
God is supposed to be perfect, not handicapped. Most people are physical and mentally fit, not handicapped.

psmith81992
God is supposed to be perfect, not handicapped. Most people are physical and mentally fit, not handicapped.

LOL. When it says we are created in his image, it's referring to the Godly soul. It has nothing to do with physical perfection.

Wonder Man
I think He gave us a heart so we could always be with Himself.
Much like Himself always Is Was and Will be.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by psmith81992
LOL. When it says we are created in his image, it's referring to the Godly soul. It has nothing to do with physical perfection.
I am not suggesting that we physically resemble God. The latter is an entity, not a biological life-form.

My take is that we relate to God in the context of our great intelligence:

Another point is that we have sufficient intelligence to understand the concept of God, and therefore can relate to him in this manner.

Of-course, there are different ways to look into this.

The critics somehow brought 'physical perfection' into this.

Shakyamunison

Then people who are handicapped are not in the image of god?

Shakyamunison
I am not suggesting that we physically resemble God. The latter is an entity, not a biological life-form.

My take is that we relate to God in the context of our great intelligence:

Another point is that we have sufficient intelligence to understand the concept of God, and therefore can relate to him in this manner.

Of-course, there are different ways to look into this.

The critics somehow brought 'physical perfection' into this.
Yes, we are a biological life-form, therefore not made in the image of any god.

Time-Immemorial
If you are under the impression a supernatural being cannot also look humanoid.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
If you are under the impression a supernatural being cannot also look humanoid.

I'm under the impression a supernatural being don't exist. They are mythology, and not to be confused with reality.

Surtur

Plus even the fittest human is so far from physically perfect it is hilarious.

But..if we are created in God's image and it refers to the Godly soul, well...*thinks about all the atrocities humans have committed against each other* Yeah..it actually makes 100% sense for our souls to be created in Gods image then..considering the type of entity God is and the way he acts..now us committing all those atrocities makes sense.

Time-Immemorial
I'm under the impression a supernatural being don't exist. They are mythology, and not to be confused with reality.

The moon and the sun are enough proof God exists.

Shakyamunison
The moon and the sun are enough proof God exists.

No, the sun and the moon are not proof of God. But I never said that God didn't exist. I simply believe in a natural God.

Shakyamunison
Plus even the fittest human is so far from physically perfect it is hilarious.

But..if we are created in God's image and it refers to the Godly soul, well...*thinks about all the atrocities humans have committed against each other* Yeah..it actually makes 100% sense for our souls to be created in Gods image then..considering the type of entity God is and the way he acts..now us committing all those atrocities makes sense.

It also make sense if god was created in our image.

Time-Immemorial
No, the sun and the moon are not proof of God. But I never said that God didn't exist. I simply believe in a natural God.

Random occurance cannot explain the perfect positioning of the sun and the moon and the impact of them on the earth.

Star428
Random occurance cannot explain the perfect positioning of the sun and the moon and the impact of them on the earth.

Nor an animal as unique as a human being existing. Unless people think apes have a soul, intellectual capacity to reason and think on our level and ,most importantly, morals.

Shakyamunison

There is nothing random about the universe. The universe is like a movie being projected onto a screen. Things may appear to be random, but everything has a cause.

Time-Immemorial
Also evolution misses one big thing.

Which is missing link.

Other thing is why people would fully accept and want to believe they came from monkeys. While it does explain the stupidty and behavior of some. It's actually backwards thinking. If we came from monkeys why are monkeys still not evolving and why is there such a vast difference in intelligence and physical makeup.

Time-Immemorial
There is nothing random about the universe. The universe is like a movie being projected onto a screen. Things may appear to be random, but everything has a cause.

Yea but if nothing is random, one must be by design.

Tzeentch
NO. HE'S CREATED IN MINE.

https://33.media.tumblr.com/1aef5b8482e66d3639a5d8f3a47a04a4/tumblr_mwm8lswqq41raot4lo1_250.gif

Time-Immemorial
As freeza would say

"You dumb monkey"

bluewaterrider

Explain please.

More precisely, please tell me if it differs significantly from what Gerald Schroeder describes here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQVm8RokoBA
5 min 27 sec

Bentley

There are several problems with your argument, because having the mind of a child isn't being "mentally unfit", it's just "not average". Also everyone living was a child at some point (except Young babies), up to which point are we allowed to be "like God"? Are children less "human" according to your concept of intelligence?

Your conception isn't historically sound either, nobody back when the Bible was written would've thrown around the argument of "men being special because they are smart". Back then humans weren't sure they were the smarter beasts in the globe.

Shakyamunison

Which is missing link.

Other thing is why people would fully accept and want to believe they came from monkeys. While it does explain the stupidty and behavior of some. It's actually backwards thinking. If we came from monkeys why are monkeys still not evolving and why is there such a vast difference in intelligence and physical makeup.

Wow! You don't understand evolution.

The idea of a missing link was disproved long ago. Also, monkeys are modern animals and have evolved along side of us. Therefore there is no way we could have evolved from monkeys. Humans and chimpanzees evolved from a common ancestor about 4 million years ago.

Shakyamunison
Yea but if nothing is random, one must be by design.

Design? Design suggests something supernatural, and supernatural is not real.

psmith81992
Design? Design suggests something supernatural, and supernatural is not real.

Prove it.

Shakyamunison
Prove it.

A bowl is designed by a craftsman. You could say that the craftsman is "outside" of the bowl. That works because there is room (space) and time for a craftsman to exist. However, if the universe is infinite, then there is no "outside" to the universe. There is no room or time for a designer.

If the universe was finite in size, then there could be other universes "outside" of ours. If there was a being in one of these universes that designed this universe, then that being would be an alien and not a supernatural God. At best you could say this alien was a natural God.

But this is all very complicated. It is simpler to say that the universe is natural, and there is no creation, only change.

psmith81992
If the designer is also infinite then the designer can create something finite, turn it into the infinite, and your entire argument falls apart.

It seems you're intent on making baseless statements and assumptions. Let us know when you want to discuss this seriously. Calling the universe natural in its every facet requires proof.

Shakyamunison
If the designer is also infinite then the designer can create something finite, turn it into the infinite, and your entire argument falls apart.

It seems you're intent on making baseless statements and assumptions. Let us know when you want to discuss this seriously. Calling the universe natural in its every facet requires proof.

An infinite designer creating an infinite universe. laughing out loud

It reminds me of this image:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Dgntg4ZI7R4/T3HemhcRDKI/AAAAAAAAA1E/Bsw9RsHzfw0/s1600/cosmic+turtle-1.jpg

Time-Immemorial

The idea of a missing link was disproved long ago. Also, monkeys are modern animals and have evolved along side of us. Therefore there is no way we could have evolved from monkeys. Humans and chimpanzees evolved from a common ancestor about 4 million years ago.

It was disproved cause they couldn't prove it, then abandoned the idea, and made it look hokey when their leader Darwin came up with it.

psmith81992
An infinite designer creating an infinite universe. laughing out loud

It reminds me of this image:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Dgntg4ZI7R4/T3HemhcRDKI/AAAAAAAAA1E/Bsw9RsHzfw0/s1600/cosmic+turtle-1.jpg I rest my case.

Time-Immemorial
laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
It was disproved cause they couldn't prove it, then abandoned the idea, and made it look hokey when their leader Darwin came up with it.

No. The concept was flawed.

What does Darwin have to do with what we are talking about.

We are not talking about 200 year old information. We are talking about modern day evolution. Please learn a little bit about evolution before you make yourself look like a fool.

Shakyamunison
I rest my case.

Yes, the idea of an infinite designer creating an infinite universe
is too silly.

Time-Immemorial
Name calling now? laughing out loud

That's not what Jesus would do.

Surtur

Which is missing link.

You are asking the wrong questions. The better one would be why are humans relatively hairless. Since this seems like a downgrade, humans had to wear the fur of other animals because they lacked sufficient hair of their own and would of otherwise died had they not worn the fur of other animals.

Of course it is more likely that some aliens messed with our genes as opposed to this having anything to do with "God".

Bentley
However, if the universe is infinite, then there is no "outside" to the universe. There is no room or time for a designer.

This is not a logically sound argument. Infinite doesn't mean all encompassing, mathematical series are effectively endless but they don't contain everything (let's say fish or cheese to make my argument sound funky).

Again, maybe you intended to use the word infinite to state something else?

psmith81992
This is not a logically sound argument. Infinite doesn't mean all encompassing, mathematical series are effectively endless but they don't contain everything (let's say fish or cheese to make my argument sound funky).

thumb up

Shakyamunison

Are you saying that there is something beyond infinity? Kind of like infinity + 1?

All that does is try to change the definition of infinity.

Time-Immemorial
You are asking the wrong questions. The better one would be why are humans relatively hairless. Since this seems like a downgrade, humans had to wear the fur of other animals because they lacked sufficient hair of their own and would of otherwise died had they not worn the fur of other animals.

Of course it is more likely that some aliens messed with our genes as opposed to this having anything to do with "God".

You read my mind actually. I was going to talk about us being relatively hairless, but the monkeys in this thread might go bananas.

Shakyamunison

But we evolved in Africa and then moved to colder parts of the planet.

Stoic

Stoic
If by chance what was written in the bible is true, there's pretty strong evidence that suggests that the reason that we have a physical body at all, is due to the fall in Eden when we took on a second nature. Our physical nature.

psmith81992
We only exist in the physical realm due to the fiasco in the garden.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Stoic
Are you created in God's image?

When the bible said that men and women were created in God's image, it wasn't talking about our physical body, or our spirit/personality, but instead it was talking about our soul, God is a spirit after all. The reason that I made certain to separate spirit from soul is because the human soul is the exact opposite of the human body. They are both vessels, the difference is that one dies physically because of it's temporal expectancy. while the soul does not die, at least not in the same way as the physical body does. Going to hell is soul death even though the soul can never die. Our spirits are basically the same as our personalities, which operates in both vessels.
Any kind of proof would be nice.

psmith81992
Any kind of proof would be nice. I think we've been asking this from you for the better part of a week.

Shakyamunison
I think we've been asking this from you for the better part of a week.
I gave you proof.

Surtur
But we evolved in Africa and then moved to colder parts of the planet.

But was the hair actually previously a detriment?

Star428
Prove it.

Wouldn't bother with Shak. He also thinks Jesus Christ and all the miracles He performed are a "myth" too.

Surtur
Wait are you bashing someone for not believing Jesus was magic?

psmith81992
I gave you proof. You haven't provided a shred of evidence in any of your posts.

Shakyamunison
You haven't provided a shred of evidence in any of your posts.

laughing out loud Sorry if it went over your head.

Plus you are the troll that Ushgarak almost banned. Therefore, I'm not going to answer any questions from someone who is not going to be here for long.

Shakyamunison
But was the hair actually previously a detriment?

We lived in a very hot clement. Unlike the Gorilla and chimpanzee who lived in the mountains, we lived in the open glass lands. We evolved a different strategy called sweating, and that works better with short hair. We have just as many hair follicles as a chimpanzee, but our hair is much finer.

S_W_LeGenD
Then people who are handicapped are not in the image of god?

Yes, we are a biological life-form, therefore not made in the image of any god.

I am not asserting that we relate to God in strictly physical context. This concept (i.e. created in God's image) is not about physical resemblance.

I'm under the impression a supernatural being don't exist.
Why not?

No, the sun and the moon are not proof of God.
How and why this Universe came into existence?

But I never said that God didn't exist. I simply believe in a natural God.
What is natural God?

Is this 'common ancestor' identified yet or still hypothetical?

Because, common ancestry have been pushed back to 13 million years now; http://www.livescience.com/46300-chimpanzee-evolution-dna-mutations.html

And it is still "may be."

Shakyamunison
I am not asserting that we relate to God in strictly physical context. This concept (i.e. created in God's image) is not about physical resemblance.
Then why the focus on intelligence (a physical attribute).
Why not?
Because there is no such thing as supernatural.
How and why this Universe came into existence?
How do you know the universe came into existence?
What is natural God?
Are you asking me what I believe?
I use the word God to communicate with people who do not know what the Mystic Law is.
This might help:
http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/47

psmith81992
laughing out loud Sorry if it went over your head.

Plus you are the troll that Ushgarak almost banned. Therefore, I'm not going to answer any questions from someone who is not going to be here for long. As I said, I rest my case. Now continue getting laughed at laughing out loud

Shakyamunison
As I said, I rest my case. Now continue getting laughed at laughing out loud

http://kind.suicideproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/aa.jpg

S_W_LeGenD
Then why the focus on intelligence (a physical attribute).
It is the only attribute that comes to mind.

Because there is no such thing as supernatural.
Based on?

How do you know the universe came into existence?
So Big Bang Theory is wrong?

Are you asking me what I believe?
I use the word God to communicate with people who do not know what the Mystic Law is.
This might help:
http://www.nichirenlibrary.org/en/wnd-1/Content/47
Yes.

God is represented by Mystic Law?

Shakyamunison
It is the only attribute that comes to mind.
Fair enough.
Based on?
It depends on rather the universe is infinite or finite. If the universe is infinite, then there is no room for a supernatural. But if the universe is finite, then there could be other universes. However, these other universes would still be natural.
So Big Bang Theory is wrong?
The Big Bang Theory does NOT say anything about what happened before the big bang.
Yes.
God is represented by Mystic Law?
No, God is not represented by the Mystic Law. However, it is a close enough analogy for us to communicate.

psmith81992
http://kind.suicideproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/aa.jpg self ownage ftw laughing out loud

S_W_LeGenD
Fair enough.
smile

It depends on rather the universe is infinite or finite. If the universe is infinite, then there is no room for a supernatural. But if the universe is finite, then there could be other universes. However, these other universes would still be natural.
What about phenomenon that science is not able to explain? People have experiences with such phenomenon.

The Big Bang Theory does NOT say anything about what happened before the big bang.
Doesn't this makes you curious? Like there might be a power that caused Big Bang?

No, God is not represented by the Mystic Law. However, it is a close enough analogy for us to communicate.
We can communicate with God using this approach?

Shakyamunison
What about phenomenon that science is not able to explain? People have experiences with such phenomenon.
What phenomenon are you talking about.
Doesn't this makes you curious? Like there might be a power that caused Big Bang?
I have my own ideas about what happened before the big bang. I believe that two other universes in the multiverse collided, and that created the big bang.
We can communicate with God using this approach?
Can you communicate with gravity? The Mystic Law is not a being.

S_W_LeGenD
What phenomenon are you talking about.
I am simply pointing out that it is not wise to dismiss existence of things that we are not able to interact with and/or don't come across on frequent basis.

I have witnessed stuff/activity in life that is not a work of biological beings.

We are not fully aware of things in our own world yet, forget the Universe.

I have my own ideas about what happened before the big bang. I believe that two other universes in the multiverse collided, and that created the big bang.
This is not the concept of Big Bang.

Cosmic stuff like stars and planets did not existed before the Big Bang event.

http://www.bigbangcentral.com/images/bb_theory.jpg

Can you communicate with gravity? The Mystic Law is not a being.
Then what exactly is the God in your opinion? Nature?

Shakyamunison

Shakyamunison
Here is a better link:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/the-logic-and-beauty-of-cosmological-natural-selection/

That last link lost all of its content after I posted it. Maybe they're changing it.

S_W_LeGenD
@Shakyamunison

Quoting system is not working at this time, so I will address your points in numerical sequence.

1. I am not making this stuff up. My experiences in life are as realistic as yours.

2. Your perception seems to be limited to your worldview, which is problematic. We are not all-knowing, we continue to discover new things with passage of time and our understanding of our surroundings continues to evolve accordingly.

3. Big Bang Theory have more merit then other ideas. A recent scientific experiment proved the existence of quarks as independent particles.

Quarks can independently exist only in extreme conditions, conditions that existed during the earliest stages of the Big Bang event. Recheck the image that I have posted earlier, you will notice the word "quarks" in it and the affiliated timeline.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_epoch

Also, understand that Big Bang event have not ended; it is seemingly continuous, and it continues to reshape the Universe with passage of time.

Check this link and read the content within: http://www.physicsoftheuniverse.com/topics_bigbang_timeline.html

4. Most likely, something caused the Big Bang.

5. I believe that God is an incredibly complex being/entity. So complex, that we do not properly understand it yet.

Shakyamunison

Bentley
Are you saying that there is something beyond infinity? Kind of like infinity + 1?

All that does is try to change the definition of infinity.

Again, I gave you a clear example.

Take the series of all the natural numbers (1, 2, 3, 4...), can we agree they are infinite in number?

Where in that series is there a bass or a tuna?

The infinite quality of natural numbers has no repercussion on the possibility of "other things" existing. Infinity isn't the quality that disallows new external elements, you might want to rephrase your statement with the right word.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>