Most Personal Duel in the Saga

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jmoul
This thread kind of fits into both trilogies, and I was sure whether I should post this in the Episode I, II, and III or the Episode IV, V, and VI. So I figured the Literature and Expanded Universe section was a happy middle ground.

Anyway, the thread is asking what the title suggests: which duel in the entire saga (literature, EU, movies, and TV shows) was, in your opinion, the most personal for the fighters?

I personally think that it was either Kenobi vs. Anakin or Vader vs. Luke, but I will leave the rest to you all.

Please give a good reason for why the fight was personal for the fighters.

Trocity
Kenobi vs Anakin easily.

DarthAnt66
Revan vs Malak definitely (SWTOR backstory not included).
The story is so tragic in every way possible it's hard not to cry.

FreshestSlice
Revan never told Malak he loved him though.

Marco1907
Most personal ? RotJ - Vader vs. Luke

DarthAnt66
Foundry made me cry at the end (only first time) when Revan referred to Malak as "a old friend." Same goes for Darth Malak not showing anger to Revan in the end, but only regret.
Do not forget Malak's tragic fall to the Darkside was because of Revan's actions, and sadly enough Revan had to kill Malak for his own evil he brought upon the galaxy. Sad times...

Fated Xtasy
I'm with Darthant66 actually(though he may be trolling, i'm unsure) It's a bit sad, Malak seemed sort of .... regretful of his choices and immediately recognizes that he was nothing. It was a bit sad, they were very good friends and that end was very.... well it was a sad end, maybe not as personal compared to Luke Vs Vader or Anakin Vs Obi-Wan. But it did have it's moment. Kreia Vs The Exile was also pretty personal imo.

DarthAnt66
Suggesting Luke vs Vader is more personal seems more trolling. erm They saw eachother only like twice before that, and the rest was Ben's storytime and Vader bitching about Padme.
The story of Revan and Malak was one of the most tragic in Star Wars without a doubt (SWTOR retcon not included). I plan on writing probably this weekend a essay about it.

Fated Xtasy
I wasn't insulting you, Darthant66, I simply stated i was unsure of your reasoning behind that comment and assumed that you were probably joking(perhaps, i should have used 'Joking' instead of trolling)

But yeah, Luke and Vader seemed personal. Father and Son, Vader's ultimate sacrifice which resulted in him finally bringing "balance" to the force. It's just my opinion though.

DarthAnt66
It was personal for Vader, yeah. For Luke? Meh, not really as much as others.
Revan and Malak went both ways with a stronger story then Kenobi and Anakin.

Marco1907
Luke was bitching about ''I am not going to fight with you father'' bla bla, that parts was really annoying for me, so yeah it was f*** personal.

NewGuy01
Luke's dialogue seemed pretty personal to me.

Anyway, Anakin vs Obi-Wan.

Fated Xtasy
@Darthant66. Yeah exactly, i was thinking it was more personal for Vader, I agree with you on the Malak and Revan situation. definitely deserves a mention.

Another personal fight, would be Maul Vs Obi-Wan in TCW. maybe not as personal, but still worthy of a mention imo.

FreshestSlice
Malak had a "strong story?"

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Luke's dialogue seemed pretty personal to me.

Anyway, Anakin vs Obi-Wan.
OP means SW period.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Also, Ant, this topic is only referring to the saga--Episodes 1-6. Read the OP.
Originally posted by jmoul
Anyway, the thread is asking what the title suggests: which duel in the entire saga (literature, EU, movies, and TV shows) was, in your opinion, the most personal for the fighters?

NewGuy01
Yeah, it said episodes 1-6 and later contradicted itself. Post edited.

@Jmoul: A saga is a set of 6 movies. Mythos is probably the better term to use.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Malak had a "strong story?"
Uh, yes? He was an good person who was corrupted by ongoing war and Revan's temptations. He was lured into evil, but still always the cautious one. And while Revan managed to escape it, Malak tragically never could.

jmoul
Originally posted by jmoul
This thread kind of fits into both trilogies, and I was sure whether I should post this in the Episode I, II, and III or the Episode IV, V, and VI. So I figured the Literature and Expanded Universe section was a happy middle ground.

I was wondering if I should make this one just about the movies at first, but then chose to make it all of the mythos (thank you for the clarification @NewGuy01)

Vorpal Ruin
Though I don't think it's the most personal, I think a honorable mention would be Dooku and Yoda.

The_Tempest
Canonically, Anakin vs. Obi-Wan.

EU, Yoda vs. Dooku in Yoda: Dark Rendezvous.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Uh, yes? He was an good person who was corrupted by ongoing war and Revan's temptations. He was lured into evil, but still always the cautious one. And while Revan managed to escape it, Malak tragically never could.
That's poetic enough sure, but every other Sith lord out there has a similar story, honestly the only thing that made him stand out was him continuing down the path while Revan turned back, and about how easily one could have been the other, and while that's deep, I don't find it more emotional than Vader's tragedy. Darth Malak especially seemed lacking to me until he was in his final moments.

The_Tempest
Malak's story is pretty tragic if you know where to look for reasons provided by FS, but Anakin's fall is still the most tragic and his duel with Obi-Wan is far and away the most personal.

Still, in the EU, gonna give it to Yoda and Dooku.

ares834
Vader vs Luke.

Revan vs Malak is great as well. But it never tugs on the heart strings quite as much as when Vader chooses between Luke and Palpatine while Binary Sunset crescendos in the background. And it's far more than just a duel for the fate of the galaxy it's a battle for both Luke and Anakin's souls. But it's the little touches like the camera placement and the music that really sets that duel apart.

Based
Ulic and Cay Qel Droma.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
Vader vs Luke.

But it's the little touches like the camera placement and the music that really sets that duel apart.
Or Battle of Endor II, 1:10. Always gets to me.

ares834
thumb up

Yep. One of the best parts, if not the best part, of the soundtrack. (I'm assuming you're talking about the music that plays when Luke goes rage mode, yes? Not sure when it starts but I know it's from that track.)

Ace Hambone
ESB Luke v Vader was pretty darn personal as well. Remember that Vader had murdered Luke's adoptive parents, the only family he had ever known. Luke then glommed on to Obi Wan like a wet t-shirt on Megan Fox. But no sooner had Obi became his new mentor and father figure, then Vader killed Obi Wan, leaving Luke's new friends as his only 'family' in the galaxy. Now Vader was threatening them! That's personal!

For Vader it was personal because he had just found his long lost son, and his mentor wanted him to kill him! So Vader tries a desperate play. He offers to turn Luke to the dark side and bring him to his master. Vader surely knows that Palpatine would take Luke and off Vader, so he tries to secretly recruit Luke to join a coup. Surely he knows this is a Hail Mary play, but what else can he do?

Vader must either must kill his son or be killed himself, and his only plan to get out of that trap is to recruit Luke and successfully take down his mentor - a man more ruthless than Vader himself, who foresees seemingly everything that happens in the galaxy. Vader can't have much hope. It's personal for him as well.

Emperordmb
thumb up

Yep. One of the best parts, if not the best part, of the soundtrack. (I'm assuming you're talking about the music that plays when Luke goes rage mode, yes? Not sure when it starts but I know it's from that track.)
thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up thumb up

****ing love that part of the soundtrack.

ILS
Savage Opress vs Adi Gallia

Nargaroth
I'd say Cay vs Ulic. Ulic's story was the most tragic to me. I cried when he regretted killing Cay.

ILS
Darth Sidious vs Kit Fisto

JediMaster97
Originally posted by ILS
Darth Sidious vs Kit Fisto

Nah. Sheev's duel against Tiin was much more personal and touching imo.

FreshestSlice
thumb up

Yeah. The build up fit the scene perfectly, imo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.