Most important person in the world

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Who is it and why?

A political leader?
A religious figure?
A scientist?
A businessman?
Someone else entirely?

Important by your definition of course.

Astner
I'm the most important person in the world.

Mindset
It's Astner.

riv6672
Originally posted by Astner
I'm the most important person in the world.

Of course you are. Please, dont wake up. smile

Astner
Originally posted by riv6672
Of course you are. Please, dont wake up. smile
It's not that I'm wrong, it's how you worded the title of the thread.

The word you were looking for was influential.

riv6672
No, the word i was looking for was important. I chose it quite deliberately.

Now, go back to sleep. The rest of us are....fading a....waaaaay....wink

Astner
No, the word i was looking for was important. I chose it quite deliberately.
So who in their right mind would consider anyone but themselves to be the most important person in the world?

Let me put it like this: I'd be the last person on the planet that I'd have dead.

riv6672
Never in my responses did i say you were wrong. My OP said by YOUR definition.
My OP didnt say i couldnt goof around with you over your answer.

Astner
Never in my responses did i say you were wrong. My OP said by YOUR definition.
My OP didnt say i could goof around with you over your answer.
"I was wrong," would've sufficed.

riv6672
I know, but i'm pretty sure you'll never admit you were, from what i've seen if your posts in the past.

Mindship
I'm very impressed with Malala Yousafzai. She survives a bullet to the head by barbarians (who are, no doubt, more afraid of her than ever); she addresses the world at the UN, will be the youngest person to receive the Nobel Peace Prize. It's almost like a superhero origin. She is a tremendous inspiration for the rights of girls and women worldwide to have an education, and I can't imagine that her influence won't be felt for decades to come.

Bardock42
So who in their right mind would consider anyone but themselves to be the most important person in the world?

Let me put it like this: I'd be the last person on the planet that I'd have dead.

By that measurement, there are people who would put other people's lifes over their own.

Digi
Probably the US President. There isn't anyone nearly as close in terms of funding, a platform from which to influence others, and the system in place to make changes happen. Billionaires have the same kind of money, but not the same ability to enact legislative change, either nationally or internationally. Other major world leaders would be similarly positioned, so they'd be next.

Societally we could point to influential figures like Oprah, Bill Gates, etc. and, collectively, they may have had more importance/influence than any single US President and/or world leader. But my answer is that the office of the President, as a whole, is the most important position in the world.

"I was wrong," would've sufficed.

Yes, let's derail the thread over a semantic squabble, instead of easily discerning what he meant and answering the question. We're all in awe of your ability to pedantically gain the upper hand in internet arguments.

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Also, there are other uses of important that make perfect sense, not just your egocentric one, if we want to truly be pedantic.

NemeBro
I'm with Astner on this one. The OP says according to my own definition.

In the end, all that matters to you... is you. All that matters to me... is me. Such is the way of things.

So yeah, me. thumb up

Digi
Originally posted by NemeBro
I'm with Astner on this one. The OP says according to my own definition.

In the end, all that matters to you... is you. All that matters to me... is me. Such is the way of things.

So yeah, me. thumb up

Lol, ok. But there's still context being ignored. He's asking about politicians, businessmen, etc. We can define what is important differently - scientific discovery, political influence, social change, etc. - but it's clear the OP was talking about cultural relevance. Astner's probably right that riv should have used "influential" instead. But in saying that, he's showing us that he knows what Riv intended, and is deliberately ignoring it for the sake of a smug semantically correct but contextually worthless answer.

Again, no one's stopping you guys from being pedants. But it's contributing very little, and substituting a potential conversation on worldwide influence for "Haha, me."

NemeBro
I have influenced this world more than any politician, businessperson, religious leader, or scientist that has ever lived.

Digi
Originally posted by NemeBro
I have influenced this world more than any politician, businessperson, religious leader, or scientist that has ever lived.

In that case, I stand corrected.

thumb up

NemeBro
It's okay, you have My forgiveness. thumb up

Bentley
Originally posted by Digi
Again, no one's stopping you guys from being pedants.

Your very post goes to prove that 131

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Mindset
It's Astner.

Bentley
Riv has been added to the list of posters that Astner has owned thumb up

Which is kind of flattering since Astner is the most important person in the world.

Lestov16
Probably Vlad "The Impaler" Putin.

riv6672
Originally posted by Digi
Lol, ok. But there's still context being ignored. He's asking about politicians, businessmen, etc. We can define what is important differently - scientific discovery, political influence, social change, etc. - but it's clear the OP was talking about cultural relevance. Astner's probably right that riv should have used "influential" instead. But in saying that, he's showing us that he knows what Riv intended, and is deliberately ignoring it for the sake of a smug semantically correct but contextually worthless answer.

Again, no one's stopping you guys from being pedants. But it's contributing very little, and substituting a potential conversation on worldwide influence for "Haha, me."
Thank you for this.
I get tired of trying to start conversations just to get caught up in this grade school nonsense.
Think it might be time to take a break from this site. My temper's a bit short lately.

Digi
Thank you for this.
I get tired of trying to start conversations just to get caught up in this grade school nonsense.
Think it might be time to take a break from this site. My temper's a bit short lately.

You're not going to find too much else here most of the time. I've taken long breaks from KMC and always felt good about it. There's a ton I've enjoyed on the site through the years, but the fact that I continually allow myself to get dragged into GDF/OTF/Religion idiocy mars some of it, at least in recent years. Now, that's on me. Despite my best intentions, and the fact that I enjoy it sometimes (even the more stupid stuff), I have no one else to blame. But time off is never a bad idea, especially if this sort of nonsense is getting to you.

Omega Vision
I'm the most impotent person in the world.
You don't say?

Mindship
Thank you for this.
Think it might be time to take a break from this site. My temper's a bit short lately. Ignore the nonsense. I like your threads. I've been here over 9 yrs and I've never had to take a break cuz I just don't get involved with what doesn't interest me or wastes energy. There's enough of that IRL.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.