Strength Vs Invulnerability

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Who has the biggest gaps in how strong they are as opposed to how invulnerable? Invulnerable might NOT be the right word, but i think you guys'll get what i mean...
Either really strong with low invulnerability, OR the other way around.

The whole rip Doomsday apart scenario made me think.
Aside from him being Supes level strong yet ripped, you also have WW who is massively strong yet uses bracers/gets her arms broke.
Thor wears armor.

On the other end, Ben Grimm can take massive hits, but isnt considered by many to be elite strong. Plastic Man does have super strength, not massively do, but can survive just about anything. Same with vlassic Wolverine thanks to his HF...

One_Angry_Scot
Perhaps you could include Deadpool as well given his immortality but that may be null considering it's an outside force.

Same with Mr Immortal I guess.

Was this not the sort of thing you were looking for?

tsilamini
well, that brings up the question, is regeneration the same as invulnerability?

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by tsilamini

Kind of a tricky thing I guess. What's your opinion on the subject?

It's a hard subject as they are invulnerable in the sense that they wont ever be killed but they still have the crappy durability in that sense.

tsilamini
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Kind of a tricky thing I guess. What's your opinion on the subject?

It's a hard subject as they are invulnerable in the sense that they wont ever be killed but they still have the crappy durability in that sense.

I'm sort of a one trick pony with the character Man-Thing, but to use him as an example

Potentially the best regeneration in comics, can reform from complete annihilation and is a self-contained eco system, but certainly is injured by even the weakest attacks (anything that could hurt a plant)

That's really all I mean. In a legit fight, Man-Thing is "invulnerable" to anyone who can't terraform the planet to eliminate all moisture... But in terms of defense, a mutant like Pyro would be able to destroy his body (as meaningless as that would be in the long run)

EDIT: my personal thought would be that regen is something different from invuln. Wolverine has invuln because of his adamantium, not because of his healing, etc.

Glorificus
Butterball has no strength. But is completely 100% invulnerable.

cdtm
Ultra Boy can only use one power at a time, yet doesn't turn his bones into jelly every time he punches someone on Superboy's level.

riv6672
Good stuff. Thanks.

Placidity
Juggernaut.

Durability > Strength

riv6672
Wouldnt have thought of that. Makes sense though.

Thought of one. Brit.

riv6672
Had to think about this. I'd say yes.
The Hulk's invulnerability comes from his cells multiplying so fast. Any damage is healed instantly for the most part.
PAD covered this in the issue where Fixit fought Wolverine.

Q99
Sunspot has class 50 strength but isn't invulnerable.

Cannonball has high invulnerability when he's blasting but pretty low strength (iirc 1 ton class... though by flying at something he can manage to hit fairly hard).

krisblaze
Brit is prime example of invulnerability but no strength, same with Butterball.

Sunspot is probably the best example of someone being super-strong but not durable.

DarkSaint85
Brit, for sure.

riv6672
Sunspot's a great example.

Guys like him and Ultra Boy make me wonder how they do things without killing or just injuring themselves.

tru-marvell
Luke Cage is the poster child for this...Originally his was only at a 2 ton lifting ability-lol

riv6672
I remember that.
He was durable enough to crack Doom's armor though. Good discrepancy there.

carver9
Despero. The General. Stronger than the entire league but people like Batman and enchantress can blow his limbs off.

DarkSaint85
FFS carver.

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=586832&pagenumber=1

carver9
Don't know why I keep saying Enchantress. Meant Huntress.

DarkSaint85
sneer

BUSTER1
Originally posted by riv6672
The Hulk's invulnerability comes from his cells multiplying so fast. Any damage is healed instantly for the most part.

Despite what PAD stated, Hulk has consistently shown high durability. For instance, high powered bullets have never been able to penetrate his skin, unless they're made of ultra hard metals like adamantium. They always bounce off him. If he had just HF to rely on the bullets would pass through him, with his body quickly healing from the damage, or if imbedded they would be pushed out by his rapidly regenerating tissues. The Hulk's HF is there for when an attack is strong enough to get past his superhuman durability. I reckon his durability is greater than the Thing's

One character who has shown invulnerability that completely outclasses her strength, is Marvel's Kimura.

Stoic
Diamond Lil (Lillian Crawley-Jeffries) - Durability off the charts compared to her strength.

StyleTime
Kimura is durable enough to casually deflect adamantium. She has no super strength at all though.

riv6672
@BUSTER1
I believe his point was Hulk's cellular regen was so off the charts, it basically WAS invulnerability.

Good call on characters the General and Lil. Hadnt thought of them.

DarkSaint85
Nul, breaker of worlds, vs Spiderwoman, and Hawkeye:

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/10/100692/1974937-avengers_vs_worthy_hulk.png

DarkSaint85
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/10/100692/1974939-avengers_vs_worthy_hulk_2.png

wuleecat
Emma Frost when she's in diamond form?

BUSTER1
The following scans show high level super durability NOT HF/regen on the part of the Hulk.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/warpieces9.jpg

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/warpieces10.jpg

In these scans, Hulk is being hit by major artillery and it all bounces off him. No matter how great his regeneration is, it wouldn't allow his skin to repel the bullets and shells as soon as they struck him

riv6672
Well, i'd say that was PAD's point as to the Hulk's regen, that it WOULD create that effect.
No worries though. As long as the dang things bounce off!

StyleTime
Originally posted by wuleecat
Emma Frost when she's in diamond form?
I forgot about her. Even WWHulk thought it was pointless to try and hit her(good feat considering how easily he rocked Colossus). She couldn't do anything back obviously though, so her strength is well below her durability.

riv6672
Didnt know that about Emma/Hulk. Pretty cool.

Galan007
Brit.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by StyleTime
I forgot about her. Even WWHulk thought it was pointless to try and hit her(good feat considering how easily he rocked Colossus). She couldn't do anything back obviously though, so her strength is well below her durability. Not true at all

riv6672
So whats the truth?

We can handle the truth.

krisblaze
I forgot about her. Even WWHulk thought it was pointless to try and hit her(good feat considering how easily he rocked Colossus). She couldn't do anything back obviously though, so her strength is well below her durability.
That's far below her average though.

In example, her fight with Storm.

riv6672
So wait, is the truth that she's not as invulnerable as originally posted or that her strength is on par with her invulnerability?

HulkIsHulk
Hulk has high end invulnerabilit even without his healing factor. What you said was simply Wolverine's assumption

HulkIsHulk
you've got it wrong. He drove ger into the ground like a peg and tald her she can't get out and to get out she'd have to transform back and she'd be finished if she does so. He's crushed diamond before so that isn't the case. He just didn't eanna kill her. And the durability isn't too great. Ilve seen her bleed in that form. Paper cut but still. But still a great candidate. Now about that, ow about Luke Cage - his durability is above his strength tier

riv6672
Well you're just correcting everyone this morning arent you, HiH? laughing out loud

riv6672
All kidding aside though.
Just spent some time researching Hulk's HF.

It was indeed Wolvie's opinion during the fight as to the HF. However, it seemed to me it was PAD using him as a mouthpiece. If though, anyone still thinks it was character hyperbole, its hyperbole that's made its way into canon.
I saw a ton of examples of Hulk's HF as source of invulnerability.
So, i'm comfortable with my original opinion.

krisblaze
So wait, is the truth that she's not as invulnerable as originally posted or that her strength is on par with her invulnerability?
It varies.

Her durability is certainly greater than her strength, but the difference isn't nearly as big as with brit or diamond lil.

HulkIsHulk
Well you're just correcting everyone this morning arent you, HiH? laughing out loud
I was bored after 3 days a non-stop studying

HulkIsHulk
All kidding aside though.
Just spent some time researching Hulk's HF.

It was indeed Wolvie's opinion during the fight as to the HF. However, it seemed to me it was PAD using him as a mouthpiece. If though, anyone still thinks it was character hyperbole, its hyperbole that's made its way into canon.
I saw a ton of examples of Hulk's HF as source of invulnerability.
So, i'm comfortable with my original opinion.
Unlike Wolverine, Hulk would be truning into mush if hus durability was not par when being hit by Thor, Hercules, Juggernaut, Gladiator and the like, or when he is punching apart mountain ranges and sort. And many like to point out instances from during the Post Onslaught period where the extra dimensional energies caused Hulk's durability to horribly drop. Agree to
disagree it is then.

A bit off-topic: Weren't you the one saying that Wolverine was nowhere near the top tier in martial arts?

krisblaze
^That logic doesn't apply.

Wolverine's skin and meat doesn't fly off his bones either.

Realistically it would look much, much, much worse when he was hit by Hulk, Namor or anyone with super-strength, but it simply doesn't.

HulkIsHulk
Originally posted by krisblaze
^That logic doesn't apply.

Wolverine's skin and meat doesn't fly off his bones either.

Realistically it would look much, much, much worse when he was hit by Hulk, Namor or anyone with super-strength, but it simply doesn't.
Well, iirc, some of Wolverine's organs were liquified when punched by Namor.
Would you give healing factor as reason for Grey Hulk being able to laugh of She-Thing's punnches when weakened?

Khazra Reborn
Brit is completely invulnerable, but has zero super strength. But at least he's a grown man, with extensive military training. Butterball is a fat whiney adolescent, with fat whiney adolescent level strength.

riv6672
Originally posted by krisblaze
It varies.

Her durability is certainly greater than her strength, but the difference isn't nearly as big as with brit or diamond lil.
Ah, okay. Thanks for that, Kris.

Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
I was bored after 3 days a non-stop studying
I hear that.

Also, not saying there's a discrepancy in Hulk's strength/HF/invulnerability. Dont think i did.
They're all tied together and increase exponentially.

HulkIsHulk
Came across this old topic now. Even under PAD, during a time when his durability was explicitly weakened so that even missiles hurt him and was cut by normal blades, he crushed Mortal Hercules, recovered from orbital fall as fast as Gladiator did (though to be fair hulk had just thunderclapped him in the face), and had anti-aircraft artillery bounce off him. Or during WWH where they removed his HF and did basically nothing without adamantium. If it was simply HF all those incidents would have left gaping holes in him

lawest9
Wonder Woman maybe.

HulkIsHulk
Paladin is a decent choice imo. He has legit superhuman strength but durability is only enhanced human, i.e., can't take it as much as he can dish out

riv6672
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Came across this old topic now. Even under PAD, during a time when his durability was explicitly weakened so that even missiles hurt him and was cut by normal blades, he crushed Mortal Hercules, recovered from orbital fall as fast as Gladiator did (though to be fair hulk had just thunderclapped him in the face), and had anti-aircraft artillery bounce off him. Or during WWH where they removed his HF and did basically nothing without adamantium. If it was simply HF all those incidents would have left gaping holes in him
Thanks for the bump. thumb up

Surtur

I would say no. The difference between a regenerator and someone who is invulnerable is if I shoot a regenerator with a gun the bullet will pierce his flesh, damage will be inflicted, but it will heal. Shooting at someone who is invulnerable..the bullet just bounces off, no healing is required because no damage has actually been done.

Sometimes characters have both powers, but no they aren't really the same. There could be someone who regenerates so quickly it seems like no harm is being done at all.

For instance Clark from Smallville has both. Bullets bounce off him, knives shatter on his skin, etc. If you, however, do find a force powerful enough to hurt him..he can regenerate. He has been impaled through the chest and healed.

TethAdamTheRock
Ultron, Juggernaut

riv6672
Hulk's HF is so powerful it looks like thats exactly whats happening.

Juntai
Loser from Supermen of America.

zom1967
I can think of a guy from starbrand#10,Gladiator(not the one with the mowhawk)this guys name is randy kellog and he can bench a truck,that is nothing compaired to his durability.He started gaining weight and density until he could withstand getting hit with two 5 kilo ton nukes from the Russians.Starbrand stopped him by throwing him through outer space,and he is not effected by being in a vacuum.he may rival Juggs durability.

Surtur
Hulk's HF is so powerful it looks like thats exactly whats happening.

But I think his durability also increases as well with his anger. I don't think it's all his healing.

Galan007
Who has the biggest gaps in how strong they are as opposed to how invulnerable? Invulnerable might NOT be the right word, but i think you guys'll get what i mean...
Either really strong with low invulnerability, OR the other way around. Brit. Unquestionably.

Surtur
Yeah Brit is a pretty good choice actually.

Genii96
Namor..durability/invulnerability>strength

riv6672
I can sort of see that.

Genii96
Emma frost in diamond form,durability>strength

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Genii96
Namor..durability/invulnerability>strength

Meh, not always.

Usually it's the other way round, in Namor's case.

Genii96
Actually that's how it is for him,that's how he lasted so long against voidtry,he takes more than he dishes out.

StiltmanFTW
Barely anything happened in the Voidtry fight, tbh.

Namor has incredible str showings... his durability is pretty crazy, too, but not that crazy.

Breaking Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, supporting Utopia, one-shotting Savage Hulk, making Thanos bleed with a single punch, making the entire isle quiver with a single strike, etc. The list is pretty long.

His strength showings have generally surpassed his durability ones, sorry.

jrodslam
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Barely anything happened in the Voidtry fight, tbh.

Namor has incredible str showings... his durability is pretty crazy, too, but not that crazy.

Breaking Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, supporting Utopia, one-shotting Savage Hulk, making Thanos bleed with a single punch, making the entire isle quiver with a single strike, etc. The list is pretty long.

His strength showings have generally surpassed his durability ones, sorry.

No to mention going the depths of the ocean. Thats a different type of durability altogether.

Also, taking a full point blank scream from Black Bolt, and falling over 100 stories(looked like it) and still be conscious says a whole lot. A whole lot.

Genii96
Surfer...durability>>>>>str

riv6672
Thanks for the bump.

Genii96
Welcome

StiltmanFTW
That was riv's way of saying: "I hate you and I'm going to murder your family".

Genii96
Yup,figured as much

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.