Reusing EU, painful or joyful?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Shey Tapani
Actually reusing characters in the NEU and maybe planets would be painful for me. I am open to ships and tech being reused on the other hand. Yeah and make movie-series only species show up. It would be painful to watch a species from the EU getting a new backstory.

Where do you guys stand on these?

Jmanghan
I'm kinda biased.

Shey Tapani
Which way? We all are. Also i forgot, 2 exceptions for species. Voss and Chiss, shey should show up in any form because they look awesome.

Vorpal Ruin
I do not want stories of my favorite EU characters to end. I want them reused, and I will risk them being written poorly just to have more.

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Vorpal Ruin
I do not want stories of my favorite EU characters to end. I want them reused, and I will risk them being written poorly just to have more.

Same here, except instead of risking them "being written poorly just to have more" I'd rather risk them being completely different, fresh and new so long as they keep it kind of close to how they were originally portrayed(Character-wise).

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Same here, except instead of risking them "being written poorly just to have more" I'd rather risk them being completely different, fresh and new so long as they keep it kind of close to how they were originally portrayed(Character-wise).

So, you'd be ok with, say, a female Kyp Durron with some his more dominating personality traits, but not necessarily the same history?

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by Vorpal Ruin
So, you'd be ok with, say, a female Kyp Durron with some his more dominating personality traits, but not necessarily the same history?

I mean, that's a very drastic change lol. I mean i wouldn't mind, they're doing that with Thor no? but i wouldn't be ecstatic about it. so long as it's well written and executed correctly, I'm fine with some changes. But if they're doing it for teh lulz and **** it up, imma be pissed.

Vorpal Ruin
Lol yea, I get ya.

I hope it's taken seriously.

chilled monkey
Personally I want to see EU characters being brought back but only if they are portrayed faithfully. The EU has tons of awesome characters and it would be just stupid to discard them completely.

What I DON'T want is for EU characters to be used in name only.

For example, Winter. She's an awesome character and there's no reason not to bring her back in. Why can't we have someone who was Leia's friend and confidante growing up? She wasn't in the movies, so what? It's not like the movies could have shown every single member of the Rebels.

I would absolutely HATE it however, if say, they had a "new Winter" who was a traitor. In that case you should just call her something else. Likewise if they bring Scout back but give her "the Barriss treatment" I will be so angry!

Either use the characters properly or not at all. Don't just include the names and go "see, we did the research, aren't you happy we included him/her?" NO! That's an insult to fans of said character.

The_Tempest
Most of the EU sucked balls.

DarthAnt66
Sidious sucked balls.
Vitiate's balls.

The_Tempest
Pfft, trying to troll me is a waste of time. Refine your skills with an easy target, like Neph.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Most of the EU was better than the movies.

Fixed it for you.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Fixed it for you.

You're outta your mind. The overwhelming majority of the EU sucked tremendously. Only a handful were on par with the best of the movies.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous, I'm looking at you. love

FreshestSlice
I want to see someone use a Force Storm to wreck shit.

GenomeFrozener
Fixed it for you.

Agreed.

Shey Tapani
Most of the EU sucked balls.

It was great, the EU really knew what to do down there. It will take some time for the new continuity to become good at it.

Why are you bothering us with your opinion anyway? What do you ad to the discussion besides derailment?

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Shey Tapani
It was great, the EU really knew what to do down there. It will take some time for the new continuity to become good at it.

Why are you bothering us with your opinion anyway? What do you ad to the discussion besides derailment?

It's called a dissenting opinion, bro. Welcome to the real world, where people don't always agree with you.

Learning this lesson now might save you from collapsing to the floor in hysterics at work the first time a colleague's favorite color differs from yours.

I'm here to help. thumb up

Shey Tapani
It's called a dissenting opinion, bro. Welcome to the real world, where people don't always agree with you.

Learning this lesson now might save you from collapsing to the floor in hysterics at work the first time a colleague's favorite color differs from yours.

I'm here to help. thumb up

We know what you think now. Could not care less about it. But how is relevant to the topic at hand. This topic is hardly relevant to you since if the EU sucks why should you care to make comments here?

The_Tempest
We know what you think now. Could not care less about it.

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/30596566/images/1393817972396.jpg

No, you don't like it. If you actually "couldn't care less about it," you wouldn't be so obviously disturbed by it.

But how is relevant to the topic at hand. This topic is hardly relevant to you since if the EU sucks why should you care to make comments here?

It's a thread discussing the merits and pitfalls of reusing Legends elements in the new EU, yes? So if I say "most of the EU sucks balls," it stands to reason that my opinion is the new EU would be better off without old EU elements.

Just because one dislikes something doesn't mean that one doesn't have an opinion about it or that one is barred from expressing said opinion.

Either way, though, you're going to have a pretty miserable time here if you can't learn to digest dissenting opinions.

I look forward to helping you in this regard. thumb up

Jmanghan
It's like the disappointment for Revan in Krapshyn's novel, and his appearances in TOR. Then again, I really wanna see what happened to Quinlan Vos, Ahsoka Tano, and Asajj Ventress. Some stories should be continued, others shouldn't.

Shey Tapani
Tempest:

"
It's a thread discussing the merits and pitfalls of reusing Legends elements in the new EU, yes? So if I say "most of the EU sucks balls," it stands to reason that my opinion is the new EU would be better off without old EU elements."

You made your opinion known, now all you can do is basically repeat it again and again like a broken record not adding anything to the discussion.

The_Tempest
Tempest:

"
It's a thread discussing the merits and pitfalls of reusing Legends elements in the new EU, yes? So if I say "most of the EU sucks balls," it stands to reason that my opinion is the new EU would be better off without old EU elements."

You made your opinion known, now all you can do is basically repeat it again and again like a broken record not adding anything to the discussion.

One could say that of any opinion offered, yours included. You kinda suck at this whole exchange of ideas thing.

chilled monkey
One could say that of any opinion offered, yours included. You kinda suck at this whole exchange of ideas thing.

No they don't.

Look, if you don't like the EU, fine, that's your business. You've said your piece now either contribute something meaningful or shut up. Right now all you're doing is going out of your way to upset people. That's really pathetic.

You want to contribute to an actual interesting discussion, post something with actual meaning, like WHY you dislike it.

The_Tempest
No they don't.

No they don't what?

Look, if you don't like the EU, fine, that's your business. You've said your piece now either contribute something meaningful or shut up. Right now all you're doing is going out of your way to upset people. That's really pathetic.

You want to contribute to an actual interesting discussion, post something with actual meaning, like WHY you dislike it.

Cool story.

If someone is "upset" by me saying that most of the EU sucks, then it is that person (not me) who is pathetic. Welcome to the 21st century. This is a marketplace of differing and dissenting opinions and you need to acclimate accordingly.

Not only is the bandwagon mentality stupid, it's unrealistic and quite dangerous. Taken to extremes, these are the same people who gave death threats to the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes who dared to give The Dark Knight Rises a less than perfect score.

See what I'm saying? It's time to sack up. People have different opinions than you, it's perfectly fine for them to express them without censorship, and it's best for everyone in the long run if they can learn to coexist, communicate, and interact without rancor or tears or emotional trauma.

This wasn't a one-sided conversation, Shey contributed to its extension as well. And now you.

So before you vilify me, you should probably consider your own actions?

SIDIOUS 66
Ah-men.

Shey Tapani
No they don't what?

Cool story.

If someone is "upset" by me saying that most of the EU sucks, then it is that person (not me) who is pathetic. Welcome to the 21st century. This is a marketplace of differing and dissenting opinions and you need to acclimate accordingly.

Not only is the bandwagon mentality stupid, it's unrealistic and quite dangerous. Taken to extremes, these are the same people who gave death threats to the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes who dared to give The Dark Knight Rises a less than perfect score.

See what I'm saying? It's time to sack up. People have different opinions than you, it's perfectly fine for them to express them without censorship, and it's best for everyone in the long run if they can learn to coexist, communicate, and interact without rancor or tears or emotional trauma.

This wasn't a one-sided conversation, Shey contributed to its extension as well. And now you.

So before you vilify me, you should probably consider your own actions?

We can have a general canon debate thread for the usual canon wars. I don't see why we have to derail this topic. If you would start a thread about what new characters they should create i would not derail it by arguing how awesome the EU was.

WildBantha88
Revan needs changed badly I cant believe how terribly they handled Revan in Ledgends.

GenomeFrozener
This is a marketplace of differing and dissenting opinions and you need to acclimate accordingly.

You don't act like it is, all you did was just say "HUR DUR EU SUX' and nothing more. Hell, you didn't even post WHY you found it terrible.

NewGuy01
Originally posted by WildBantha88
Revan needs changed badly I cant believe how terribly they handled Revan in Ledgends.

thumb up, though it won't happen.

NTJack0
Revan needs changed badly I cant believe how terribly they handled Revan in Ledgends. Meh, who cares, his storyline will be done soon hopefully, then forgotten.

Shey Tapani

Ideally the Revan book would had been written by Stover and he would be dead by now.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by GenomeFrozener
You don't act like it is, all you did was just say "HUR DUR EU SUX' and nothing more. Hell, you didn't even post WHY you found it terrible.

To which you essentially replied no u. Don't whine; it's unbecoming.

Shey Tapani
Pointing out that you add nothing to the thread is not whinning.

The_Tempest
No, crying that someone disagrees with you about the EU is.

I mean, I'm happy to go into vivid detail as to why I think most of the EU sucks, but it may overwhelm some of the more hypersensitive posters.

Fated Xtasy
Lol I'm sorry, but who the hell cares if Tempest or anyone else dislikes or likes the EU? different people, have different of opinions, responding to Tempest and vice versa, will only end with this thread getting even more off topic.

Anyway, Getting back on track. What is the worst thing to come out of the EU? Novel-wise i mean.

NewGuy01
evil face

---

Some of the weirder post-RotJ EU.

Shey Tapani
That's worst than Crystal Star. Can i put Tempest on ignore? If we can't just ignore him.

Stigma
That's worst than Crystal Star. Can i put Tempest on ignore? If we can't just ignore him.
He just said he's willing to go into detailed discussion on why most EU sucks. erm

Don't treat him as a troll, it makes you seem as if you're affraid he'll make a good case.

Shey Tapani
We should have separate canon debate thread period taht is highlighted. No reason for this nonsense to possibly derail almost every thread.

NemeBro
No, crying that someone disagrees with you about the EU is.

I mean, I'm happy to go into vivid detail as to why I think most of the EU sucks, but it may overwhelm some of the more hypersensitive posters. Why does most of the EU suck Tempest?

SIDIOUS 66
We should have separate canon debate thread period taht is highlighted. No reason for this nonsense to possibly derail almost every thread.

You ask for opinions; Tempest gave his, and implied that he wouldn't want to see any elements of the EU being reused; Chilled Monkey comes through challenges his opinion and "fixes" it for him, basically trying to force his own opinion on Tempest; Tempest replies to CM's rude behavior and explains that he does like some of the EU; you come in, getting upset because Tempest didn't go into detail regarding his opinion (something you didn't ask for in the OP), and then accused him of derailing your thread because of it.

Basically, you guys were rude to him, and derailed your own thread far more than he did. Tempest deserves an apology for being treated so rudely and being accused of something he didn't do. IMO, Other than NemeBro asking for a detailed explanation and me also wanting to hear him out, Tempest shouldn't even waist his time giving you an explanation regarding his opinion.

GenomeFrozener
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Basically, you guys were rude to him, and derailed your own thread far more than he did. Tempest deserves an apology

Pfft, trying to troll me is a waste of time. Refine your skills with an easy target, like Neph.

Yep, very legit.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.