christianity symbolism

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Genesis-Soldier
so after a debate with a friend of mine we discussed if a cross is a "correct" symbol of christianity.

he argued that using the monument you were nailed to as a symbol of your beliefs is pushing it a bit

(not sure if this has been done or not)

Shakyamunison
I always thought it was strange to use an execution device as a religious symbol.

Digi
I see no issue with it, nor did I when I was religious. It's perhaps the most recognizable symbol in all of religion. And it represents suffering for the sake of Mankind. It would only be a negative symbol if there weren't the salvation part as a result.

It also explains historical fetishism with religious martyrdom. It's easier to justify the sh*t life throws at you if part of your religious belief includes the idea that suffering nobly brings salvation and piety.

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Digi
I see no issue with it, nor did I when I was religious. It's perhaps the most recognizable symbol in all of religion. And it represents suffering for the sake of Mankind. It would only be a negative symbol if there weren't the salvation part as a result.

It also explains historical fetishism with religious martyrdom. It's easier to justify the sh*t life throws at you if part of your religious belief includes the idea that suffering nobly brings salvation and piety.

the most recognisable symbol? perhaps in the western civilisation

although i quite agree with the idea of suffering in religion to deal with pain and torment

Digi
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
the most recognisable symbol? perhaps in the western civilisation

What symbol would trump it? I'm curious.

riv6672
Originally posted by Digi
What symbol would trump it? I'm curious.
Lamb, dove, anchor, the fish symbol on cars (forget the proper name), have all been used.

Symbols are just that though. Its the belief you put in them.
-shrug-

Look at the swastika. Hitler adopting it as a symbol for the third reich forever tainted it, even though before then it had been used by religions all over the world since days of old and such. Its actually called a gammodian cross in some circles.

Lek Kuen
Originally posted by riv6672
Lamb, dove, anchor, the fish symbol on cars (forget the proper name), have all been used.

None of those are more used/recongized then the cross through, which is what Digi is asking.

riv6672
Well then we'll go with your answer.

Oh wait.

stick out tongue

Lek Kuen
I don't think any religious symbol is.

riv6672
I know, i was busting on you.
The cross wasnt the first symbol but its the most well known.
It has that Superman aura going for it. Or is it the other way around? Cant recall which came first...

Digi

Symbols are just that though. Its the belief you put in them.
-shrug-

Agreed. But yeah, this:

Originally posted by Lek Kuen
None of those are more used/recongized then the cross through, which is what Digi is asking.

I'm pretty sure the cross is the most ubiquitous religious symbol in the world. And to say it's barbaric or odd to use is to ignore the actual symbolic meaning behind it, a meaning that literally billions of people share.

riv6672
In regards to its barbarity, its in line with the religion as a whole. They drink blood and eat flesh. They took out the original Sin Cities, stone people left and right...a torture device as the main symbol of the religion isnt so odd.

Digi
In regards to its barbarity, its in line with the religion as a whole. They drink blood and eat flesh. They took out the original Sin Cities, stone people left and right...a torture device as the main symbol of the religion isnt so odd.

thumb up

riv6672
Thanks.
I always find it funny how the religion is portrayed as fluffy goodness. It was a tough religion for a tough world.

Mindship
1. Christian Cross
2. Red Cross
3. Superman "S" shield

The three most widely recognized symbols in the world.

Genesis-Soldier
i would have thought the star of david or the tibetan OM symbol would have been the oldest and most recognised

or the nazi swastika (and budda's form of it, the original)

Shakyamunison
The top ten Religious symbols:

http://www.spellbrand.com/top-10-religious-symbols

Time Immemorial
I saw Shaky at church today, you could say I was shocked.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I saw Shaky at church today, you could say I was shocked.

Really?! What was I doing? Did I talk to anyone? Did I embarrass myself? And why would I be at church on a Tuesday? stick out tongue

riv6672
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
The top ten Religious symbols:

http://www.spellbrand.com/top-10-religious-symbols
Good stuff.

Time Immemorial
Really?! What was I doing? Did I talk to anyone? Did I embarrass myself? And why would I be at church on a Tuesday? stick out tongue

Well all three! You were hitting on the nuns! stick out tongue

Shakyamunison
Well all three! You were hitting on the nuns! stick out tongue

As long as they were good looking! laughing out loud

Genesis-Soldier
freak'n knew it

Shakyamunison
freak'n knew it

Knew what?

Time Immemorial
That you were knocking boots in church!

Genesis-Soldier
no i meant about the tibetan OM symbol and what not. my internet has been slow and your posts didn't register on my screen

but anyway i'm pretty sure knocking boots with a few old nuns in a church is up to Shakyamunison and his kinks

Shakyamunison

Do you really think I was in a church somewhere? Because I have just been humoring you. The last time I was in a church was on a tour in London, and I wasn't there to worship.

Time Immemorial
Do you really think I was in a church somewhere? Because I have just been humoring you. The last time I was in a church was on a tour in London, and I wasn't there to worship.

Of coarse not, I was enjoying you humoring me. This place makes me laughsmile

Shakyamunison
Of coarse not, I was enjoying you humoring me. This place makes me laughsmile
big grin

riv6672
I was kicked out of church when i was 12...

Genesis-Soldier
I was kicked out of church when i was 12...

did the holy water start to evaporate when you touched it?

btw has annyone ever tried not to laugh in church when you think of something funny? didn't work for me

Robtard
Do find the cross to be a slightly odd religious symbol, considering it's what Christ died on and historically a horribly painful death-device.

Or as a Jehovah Witness put it to me once: "Imagine you had this friend who was your best friend and you deeply loved him like a father or brother. Now if he was shot and killed, would you wear a bullet around your neck to honor him."

Genesis-Soldier
Originally posted by Robtard
Do find the cross to be a slightly odd religious symbol, considering it's what Christ died on and historically a horribly painful death-device.

Or as a Jehovah Witness put it to me once: "Imagine you had this friend who was your best friend and you deeply loved him like a father or brother. Now if he was shot and killed, would you wear a bullet around your neck to honor him."
i guess it would depend if the bullet caused them agony and was mutilating their body, but when put like that "why the hell not"

just let me go get my 14ft cross and some leather thread

riv6672
did the holy water start to evaporate when you touched it?

btw has annyone ever tried not to laugh in church when you think of something funny? didn't work for me
No, i was kicked out for asking the priest a question i'd come across in the library. The "can God make rock he couldnt lift/is he all powerful" scenario.
Instead of dealing with me as (how i figured) an adult might, he told my mom i was never to set foot in church again.
Taught me everything i needed to know about organized religion right there.

dyajeep
I always thought it was strange to use an execution device as a religious symbol.

agreed...

although it's more of a Catholic symbol and NOT a Christian symbol...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.