Most, least common phobias

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Most common

1. Arachnophobia: Fear of spiders  
2. Aquaphobia: Fear of water or body of water    
3. Pyrophobia: Fear of Fire    
4. Claustrophobia: Fear of confinement
5. Altophobia: Fear of heights

Least common

1. Anatidaephobia: Fear of being watched by a duck
2. Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia: Fear of long words
3. Syngenesophobia: Fear of family/relatives
4. Arachibutyrophobia: Fear of peanut butter getting stuck on the roof of your mouth
5. Linonophobia: Fear of string

Me, i have at least a touch of...

most common-3,4
least common-1,3

dadudemon
Biggest fear is public speaking. smile

And fear of dying is probably in the top 5.

AsbestosFlaygon
I think I do have aquaphobia, especially when around large bodies of water like the ocean.

I definitely fear my relatives. Family, not so much.

riv6672
I had to think hard about aquaphobia. While i have a fear of drowning, its never stopped me from enjoying the ocean, getting on ships, etc. i chalked that one under "no one wants to drown".

Astner
I might be suffering from pnigophobia, but it's not listed.

Smallville
Fear of being alone is up there, too.

Least common: Globophobia - Fear of balloons.

Robtard
I know someone who has a balloon fear

Astner
Originally posted by Robtard
I know someone who has a balloon fear
Gnōthi seauton.

mitchypoopoo
Charlie has that

riv6672
Clowns use balloons, so i can see it.

Astner
Originally posted by riv6672
Clowns use balloons, so i can see it.
Kinky.

Robtard
Originally posted by Astner
Gnōthi seauton.

Śïşŧër-Ïņ-Łäŵ äçŧüäļļỹ

riv6672
Fear of foreign languages?

Not me!

Oneness
Go fsuck your mother, cnunt.

Oneness
Fsucker.

dadudemon
I have mild atychiphobia which is the fear of failure. For instance, f*cking up at work and losing my job. I would feel like a failure so I feat it. But it is not really a phobia.

Astner
Originally posted by dadudemon
I have mild atychiphobia which is the fear of failure.
We know. That's why you turn every outspoken opinion piece that you disagree with into a debate.

riv6672
How about a fear of onions? Alliumphobia, i think...

dadudemon
We know. That's why you turn every outspoken opinion piece that you disagree with into a debate.

Your logic circuit is broken. You've just made a non sequitur argument. wink

Please report to the manufacturer center for repair and reprogramming.

Wonder Man
Fear of hate is what Hitler used.

Astner
Your logic circuit is broken. You've just made a non sequitur argument. wink
You're afraid that you'll miss an argument and lose it.

Now where's my PhD in Cognitive Psychology?

dadudemon
You're afraid that you'll miss an argument and lose it.

I just responded to a post I missed 4 years ago on another website. I didn't know the other dude responded. So I went down the list and destroyed his points. He had this faulty idea that SLOPs were useless (polls) and thought that Scientific Polls were infallible. I explained to him that you can have SLOPs with results that are better than even standard Scientific Polls. He just could not believe that and lost his shit (and logic).

So, you're right. But it is not necessarily that fact that I would lose an argument. Not at all. The problem is if someone is wrong and thinks they are right. That's the problem. smile

Astner
I just responded to a post I missed 4 years ago on another website. I didn't know the other dude responded. So I went down the list and destroyed his points. He had this faulty idea that SLOPs were useless (polls) and thought that Scientific Polls were infallible. I explained to him that you can have SLOPs with results that are better than even standard Scientific Polls. He just could not believe that and lost his shit (and logic).

So, you're right. But it is not necessarily that fact that I would lose an argument. Not at all. The problem is if someone is wrong and thinks they are right. That's the problem. smile
I don't know. I've seen you made some pretty stupid points and you also have a tendency to take arguments anywhere just to win them.

riv6672
Originally posted by Wonder Man
Fear of hate is what Hitler used. could you elaborate?

dadudemon
I don't know. I've seen you made some pretty stupid points and you also have a tendency to take arguments anywhere just to win them.

If you ask me, "How does this relate to the original point?", I will clarify. I know from our past conversations that you've had issues following points. It looks like you've addressed this cognitive dissonance by trying to place the blame on me instead of owning your weaknesses.

In any arguments you and I have had, your problems were the inability to think outside of "Astner Linearity"* and the ability to follow points as they develop. So, naturally, you would have a problem making the connections from one of my points to the next: your history shows that this is a problem for you. But, instead of blaming others for that, own your weaknesses and liberally admit to them. People would respect you more.

*I'm pretty sure this has caused problems in your academic endeavors and you've wasted many hours exploring the wrong path on a problem. Some call this "critical thinking skills" and it is a strong sign of cognitive function. This also tells me why you have such disdain for Intelligence Quotient measures: there is no parity between your IQ results and your self-assessed cognition (this is a fancy way of saying "You think you're smarter than you are."wink.

Astner
If you ask me, "How does this relate to the original point?", I will clarify.
I didn't, and you'd be better off responding to what I write rather than what you think I meant because you're only confusing yourself.

Quincy
dude why

Kharhmah
I have:

Arachnophobia
Aquaphobia/Thalassophobia
Batrachophobia in general, but specifically, extremely severe Ranidaphobia.
Cleithrophobia
V. mild Herpetophobia, as in I dont mind looking at them too much, but I dont really feel comfortable in the same room as them.
Mottephobia
Trypanophobia
Trypophobia

There are probably others too.

AbnormalButSane
Trypophobia
Astraphobia
Lilapsophobia

Quincy
is BOB from Twin Peaks a phobia?

riv6672
He was an errant reflection if i remember correctly...

dadudemon
I didn't, and you'd be better off responding to what I write rather than what you think I meant because you're only confusing yourself.

See what I mean? That was me suggesting you ask that question, in the future, so you don't end up saying things like this:

"I've seen you made some pretty stupid points and you also have a tendency to take arguments anywhere just to win them." Neither of those are true for the reasons I outlined in the previous post (all that stuff you clipped from your quote).

Now, at this point, 1 of 2 things is going on:

1. You're mocking the characterization I painted of you to either self-deprecate or you're making fun of me, directly.

2. You just did the thing I said you do and are oblivious...which is hilarious.

Since I know it would be better for your ego to claim #1, have fun. smile

riv6672
I think its #2. wink

Edit:
Did i post that out loud? eek!

Astner
See what I mean? That was me suggesting you ask that question, in the future, so you don't end up saying things like this:
But I didn't ask that question, meaning that it didn't warrant a response.

Now, at this point, 1 of 2 things is going on:

1. You're mocking the characterization I painted of you to either self-deprecate or you're making fun of me, directly.

Actually the reason is that I didn't find those characterizations of me wroth bothering with. I'm not offended by those characterizations for the same reason I wouldn't by a five year-old calling me stupid. But since you're so far up your own ass about this, I'll address this before I'll put you on Ignore.

In any arguments you and I have had, your problems were the inability to think outside of "Astner Linearity"* and the ability to follow points as they develop. So, naturally, you would have a problem making the connections from one of my points to the next: your history shows that this is a problem for you. But, instead of blaming others for that, own your weaknesses and liberally admit to them.
In academia, argumentation centers around a proposition. If you make an inaccurate proposition, P, and I provide a refutation of P then the debate ends there. If you choose to "develop" your proposition, to Q, that's fine, but it isn't part of the original debate, and I don't have to get involved in the presentation of Q.

So it's not that I can't follow your propositions as they "develop," it's that I choose not to, because my intention wasn't to prove you wrong, it was to prove your proposition wrong.

*I'm pretty sure this has caused problems in your academic endeavors and you've wasted many hours exploring the wrong path on a problem.
This has to be one of the worst attempts of pseudo-psychology I've ever seen. In more extensive projects it's standard to explore facets of a problem that ultimately won't lead to the information you want.

You might as well have said, "I'm pretty sure you've been wrong sometime in your life..."

This also tells me why you have such disdain for Intelligence Quotient measures: there is no parity between your IQ results and your self-assessed cognition (this is a fancy way of saying "You think you're smarter than you are."wink.
I'm perfectly fine with IQ. Furthermore I've not taken an IQ test, so your entire argument breaks down then and there. All I did debating Oneness was to provide evidence for why the concept of IQ is non-scientific.

Now when I've explained that, you don't have to bother responding because at the time you finish reading this you'll be on my Ignore List.

riv6672
I never think i'm smart. Keeps me in the majority.

Bardock42
The problem is if someone is wrong and thinks they are right. That's the problem. smile

Yeah, and it's you...and Astner

Immovable object of ignorance meeting an irresistible force of wrong

riv6672
There's GOT to be a name for that!

Oneness
I'm becoming phobic of doing something.

dadudemon
But I didn't ask that question, meaning that it didn't warrant a response.

See what I mean? That was me suggesting you ask that question, in the future...

In academia, argumentation centers around a proposition. If you make an inaccurate proposition, P, and I provide a refutation of P then the debate ends there. If you choose to "develop" your proposition, to Q, that's fine, but it isn't part of the original debate, and I don't have to get involved in the presentation of Q.

You seem to misunderstand this, too. The issue is not "If P then Q." The issue is, "If P1, P2, P3, P4, then Q1, and Q2." You have a hard time following the logic for all of that. The fact that you've stated the above is further telling of what I said, here:

I know from our past conversations that you've had issues following points. It looks like you've addressed this cognitive dissonance by trying to place the blame on me instead of owning your weaknesses.

In any arguments you and I have had, your problems were the inability to think outside of "Astner Linearity"* and the ability to follow points as they develop. So, naturally, you would have a problem making the connections from one of my points to the next: your history shows that this is a problem for you. But, instead of blaming others for that, own your weaknesses and liberally admit to them. People would respect you more.

Basically, you keep providing examples of exactly what I'm talking about.

So it's not that I can't follow your propositions as they "develop," it's that I choose not to, because my intention wasn't to prove you wrong, it was to prove your proposition wrong.

And here is that thing I said you do:

I know from our past conversations that you've had issues following points. It looks like you've addressed this cognitive dissonance by trying to place the blame on me instead of owning your weaknesses.

This has to be one of the worst attempts of pseudo-psychology I've ever seen. In more extensive projects it's standard to explore facets of a problem that ultimately won't lead to the information you want.

1. One of the worst attempts, eh? "The lady doth protest too much, me thinks."

2. This is, again, applicable:

And what is the thing I said you do? You just cannot follow the logic. It just doesn't click with you. This is not a pseudo-psychology assessment: not even close. This is me telling you that based on how poorly you cannot follow the logical discourse in a discussion because of how linear your thinking is, there's no way you did not waste many hours in you academic endeavors because of this clear problem you have.

You might as well have said, "I'm pretty sure you've been wrong sometime in your life..."

That's not at all what I said. You, yet again, demonstrate that you lack even a basic understanding of my points. Most of the points you make are mildly non sequitur to the points I make...and it is not just me: it is with many people you interact with. To directly address what you've stated, you admitting that you've been wrong before in your life has very very little to do with these statements of mine:

...your problems were the inability to think outside of "Astner Linearity"*...

*...this has caused problems in your academic endeavors and you've wasted many hours exploring the wrong path on a problem.

I'm perfectly fine with IQ.

That does not seem to be the case:

The idea of IQ is non-scientific.

As far as I'm aware no school of thought in Psychology recognizes the legitimacy of an IQ test as a credible measurement of cognitive abilities.

It is non-scientific because it's a test score that doesn't reflect what it's suggested to reflect. Moreover, the largest and most comprehensive MRI study ever conducted in the field of neurobiology suggests that the very idea that intelligence can be measured with a single number is wrong, source.

Furthermore I've not taken an IQ test, so your entire argument breaks down then and there. All I did debating Oneness was to provide evidence for why the concept of IQ is non-scientific.

Since I've proven that you are a liar, the fact that you deny taking any sort of IQ test is not going to be entertained. Your derision over IQ tests and your hatred of them is a bit too strong for a psychology layman. wink

To keep it short and sweet: you're a proven liar, you have taken an IQ test and your complaints about the IQ tests are because of those results, and you are butthurt about the results because they do not match up with the perception of your own intelligence.

Now when I've explained that, you don't have to bother responding because at the time you finish reading this you'll be on my Ignore List.

You've threatened or stated this no less than 3 times in the past. Yet, every time, I'm not on your ignore list. Additionally, any time you have threatened this, it is due to me pointing out where your inability to follow logic or conversation has created problems.

Here are other issues you need to explore:

1. You're socially inept. But you're inept on purpose. You know what you say/write is not acceptable behavior for an adult but you choose to do it anyway. This kind of arrogance is actually revealing of your immaturity. It will take some growing up for you to check that huge ego and reel in the arrogance.

2. The previously mentioned logic problems that you have. That is not easily fixed. When someone tells you that you're not getting it, that should be your cue that, perhaps, you should reassess what they are saying and your position. See if you are not following their logic very well.

3. Arithmetic - Simple math seems to escape you. Go back to the basics. Improve your arithmetic.

4. Eat more healthily and exercise more: you are a bag of bones.

5. Get more sun: you are probably not getting enough sunlight. You need sunlight for vitamin D production.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Yeah, and it's you...and Astner

Immovable object of ignorance meeting an irresistible force of wrong

If Apple only make a larger iPhone, I will agree that you are correct in saying that Apple shares your opinion on market demands. If, however, they make a larger iPhone in addition to a 4 inch iPhone (which I suspect and am hoping for), then your point is not proven, as it is only an extension of their addressable market, not a concession that the smaller screen was a misstep.

Well, dadudemon, you were correct on Apple viewing the bigger screen as the right thing to go. Not sure I like it, but there it is.

riv6672
We...need more phobias huh

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.