Darth Sidious vs Darth Bane

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Darth Sidious from Darth Plagueis versus Darth Bane from Rule of Two.

FreshestSlice
Bane.

Nargaroth
Darth Sidious, easily if this is him from the end of the novel.

FreshestSlice
End of the novel Sidious is weaker than Plagueis, significantly. How can he take Orbalisk Bane?

Nephthys
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Bane.

NewGuy01
End of the novel Sidious is weaker than Plagueis, significantly. How can he take Orbalisk Bane?

What?

The_Tempest
End of the novel Sidious is weaker than Plagueis, significantly.

Indeed? So's Bane.

Nargaroth

Except that he isn't weaker at all, and sources have already stated that Sidious killed Plagueis upon receiving the power to do so. Not only that, but his power increased immediately after his master's death. Anyway, he's just much faster than Bane, and could overwhelm him with Lightning as well.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by NewGuy01
What?
In the novel, Sidious doesn't even pretend to be stronger than Plagueis. "Only more clever. "

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Nargaroth
Except that he isn't weaker at all, and sources have already stated that Sidious killed Plagueis upon receiving the power to do so. Not only that, but his power increased immediately after his master's death. Anyway, he's just much faster than Bane, and could overwhelm him with Lightning as well.
Source for Sidious being more powerful?

Anyway, being faster than Bane won't be enough. Raskta was faster, more skilled, and landed more blows than Bane, and she hardly touched him. Lightning is the only thing Sidious has going for him, and I don't think his TPM incarnation is powerful enough in that aspect.

The_Tempest
In the novel, Sidious doesn't even pretend to be stronger than Plagueis. "Only more clever. "

Sidious boasts that he's "equally powerful" to Plagueis at the time of their final confrontation and he does indeed Force choke him to death even as Plagueis tries to resist the effects. When Luceno was asked on Facebook, he alluded that Plagueis would be the victor in a fair fight, but nothing was implied by him or the book that it would be a stomp.

But it doesn't matter, because Bane's pretty far beneath Plagueis anyway.

FreshestSlice
He couldn't resist because he was drunk and Sidious hitting his breathing device with lightning. erm

The_Tempest
He couldn't resist because he was drunk and Sidious hitting his breathing device with lightning. erm

Sidious did indeed disable Plagueis's respirator, but Plagueis tried to resist Sidious Force-choking him.

With respect to Plagueis's intoxication, this is the same guy who, in a weaker incarnation, systematically manhandled two dozen Maladian assassins barehanded despite cardiac arrest and extensive bodily mutilation. I doubt a healthy buzz is going to make much difference.

Nephthys
Originally posted by The_Tempest
But it doesn't matter, because Bane's pretty far beneath Plagueis anyway.

Nah.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Nephthys
Nah.

Ya.

Nephthys
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003529091/4716722196_ummmmmm_nah_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Nargaroth

Anyway, being faster than Bane won't be enough. Raskta was faster, more skilled, and landed more blows than Bane, and she hardly touched him. Lightning is the only thing Sidious has going for him, and I don't think his TPM incarnation is powerful enough in that aspect.

Here's your answer:

- The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia

And here's the quote from the novel proving that he became more powerful immediately after his master's death:

-- Darth Plagueis

Regardless, Palpatine is much faster and much more skilled than Raskta, and the fact that she could land quite a few hits on Bane only further proves that Sidious would overwhelm him. It wouldn't be a speedblitz, but Bane would only survive for some time thanks his armor. Sidious would still be able to take his head, and he knows the properties of Orbalisks as per the Book Of Sith, so he won't waste time slashing Bane's body.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by Nephthys
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/003529091/4716722196_ummmmmm_nah_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md3qjgVFO31qgwi7to1_500.jpg

Arhael
Sidious' training was already accomplished by that point. He didn't practice sourcery much at the time but one does not need to be a sorcerer to reach his prime. Also, after killing Plagueis he just continued dedicating most of his time to politics. There is no reason to assume that Palpatine improved even marginally since death of Plagueis. Sidous would beat Bane at the time plain and square.

"Plagueis the Wise, who forged the most powerful Sith Lord the galaxy has ever known, and yet who forgot to leave a place for himself; whose pride never allowed him to question that he would no longer be needed.

While Sidious' own opinion is not a proof, I don't think he would make such assumptions for no reason.

Stigma
It's entirely possible that Sidious grew stonger between TPM and RotS, if only because time he might have dedicated to futher study and refinement of his force-powers. How significant was this increase? Definitely much less than his implied power jump from RotS to RotJ.

AncientPower
Bane's literal plot armor is the only reason he isn't stomped here.

God I don't seem to make many pro-Bane arguments do I? ironic.

Arhael
Originally posted by Stigma
It's entirely possible that Sidious grew stonger between TPM and RotS, if only because time he might have dedicated to futher study and refinement of his force-powers. How significant was this increase? Definitely much less than his implied power jump from RotS to RotJ.
I am very skeptical about significant and even marginal powerups. Especially considering that Luke after defeating Lumiya had decades of experience and she was a challenging opponent for him.

Was there anywhere implication that Sidious actually got more powerful between RotS and RotJ by any margin?

Stigma
Oh, obviously, I was speculating.
On the other hand, Palpatine did collect and presumably study force knowledge from a "miriad of worlds" during his time as the emperor to the point it was claimed he "knew every force technique and invented new ones at his leisure".

Stigma
Originally posted by AncientPower
Bane's literal plot armor is the only reason he isn't stomped here.

God I don't seem to make many pro-Bane arguments do I? ironic.
Maybe because there are not a lot to be made? stick out tongue

Revanchiste
Sidious before he kill plagueis? Or just after???
One = fair the other = unfaire !

carthage

Bane has no feats to compare to Sidious stomping Maul, deflecting fire from hundreds of battle droids, becoming more powerful than Plagueis after his death, fighting hundreds of Kursid warriors without being touched, and being inferior to Sidious in all manner. Sidious is immeasurably more powerful than either Raskta or Bane's nexus feats on Tython. Bane couldn't even do more than blast Zannah back in their duel. He gets destroyed and doesn't even touch Sidious.

DarthAnt66
I can't help but fear Jack set his alarm clock to the exact second your ban was uplifted to see the carnage you would inflict.

Revanchiste

Vorpal Ruin
Sidious should win handily.

Arhael
Originally posted by Stigma
Oh, obviously, I was speculating.
On the other hand, Palpatine did collect and presumably study force knowledge from a "miriad of worlds" during his time as the emperor to the point it was claimed he "knew every force technique and invented new ones at his leisure".
True but that hardly matters because in combat he used nothing but TK and lightning in DE.

Bottom line assuming that DE Sidious is even more competent combatant than he was in RotS makes it way too cool for Luke defeating him.

I think you will agree that Luke improved a lot post DE. Yet, there are still plenty of opponents that can put up a good fight against him. People tend to come up with all sorts of excuses to lowball Luke's DE feat or assume that he did not perform his best against other opponents like in case with Lumiya. It makes more sense that Luke didn't improve much post DE. He definitely became more versatile in combat, he definitely learned new Force techniques - but that's all just marginal improvements, which in most circumstances hardly matter.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.