Marvel Studios Phase 3 announcements

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

roughrider
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-reveals-title-captain-america-744455

Snafu in the article though. It claims both Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians Of The Galaxy 2 come out the same day - July 28, 2017. Has to be a mistake.

So...Captain America: The Serpent Society? Somehow the Civil War angle will come into play here? huh

Golgo13
That's not the real title. It's Captain America: Civil War. Can't wait for an Inhumans movie. Could care less about Captain Marvel. Not interested in most of Marvel's female heroes other than Storm.

ares834
Inhumans eh? Nice! Also really looking forward to Ragnorak despite TDW being subpar. I assume its going to be based of Siminson's Sutur arc which was great.

roughrider
Whatever else, Marvel Studios seems to have decided Hulk works best in a team dynamic, and not in a solo feature. I go either way with this; if they wanted to try again, fine. I'm just excited for more Thor, Captain America and Dr. Strange solo films.

Golgo13
It's pretty expensive to do a Hulk film, right? Kinda disappointing, because I'm a huge Hulk fan (Or I was when I was younger, still am in a way). IH was one of my favorite Marvel movies and I hope they give him a try again. I'm sure it will do a lot better now, then it did before.

juggernaut74
They copied DC by unveiling such a big slate.

roughrider
Hulk as a fugitive pursued by the military doesn't seem to work for the mass audience, for some reason. At least not for something ongoing beyond one film. He's the hero yet also a force to be wary about anti-hero, monster, hero...perhaps putting him in a stable situation like the days with the Pantheon, or working directly under SHIELD as he has been the past couple of years would be better.

DARTH POWER
Disappointed about Hulk.

juggernaut74
Hulk before Captain Marvel imo.

Golgo13
Won't happen now.

juggernaut74
Maybe marvel is holding back some announcements like DC is doing with the Superman Batman solo films.

Golgo13
If that's true, then both WB and Disney are playing chess with one another in these whole announcement things. big grin

BruceSkywalker
I am looking forward to all of these films.. I can;t fracking wait...

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Disappointed about Hulk.

I'm not because they obviously could have some sort of plan for Hulk in 2020 or 2021, etc

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker

I'm not because they obviously could have some sort of plan for Hulk in 2020 or 2021, etc

What the frack is that? Having a sequel 10-15 years after the last one. They trying to pull a Superman Returns on us? Screw Dat.

Golgo13
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I am looking forward to all of these films.. I can;t fracking wait...

LOL!

Golgo13
What the frack is that? Having a sequel 10-15 years after the last one. They trying to pull a Superman Returns on us? Screw Dat.

Let's just hope it could be a secret announcement.

Firefly218

Jeezus, stop complaining. Hulk is gonna be in lots of other movies.

ares834
Hulk fans are justified in their complaints IMO. I'd be doing the same if they werent doing a Cap 3.

roughrider
There also won't be a fourth Iron Man move either. But Tony is going to be so busy with the four movies he's appearing in 2015, 2016, 2018 and 2019. but I'm sure nothing he has going on the side would be bigger and more dramatic than what he's about to deal with going forward, post Age Of Ultron.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Firefly218
Jeezus, stop complaining. Hulk is gonna be in lots of other movies.

Take it you're not a Hulk fan.

WhiteWitchKing
Hulk already had two movies that didn't do too well. I liked the 2008 version, but it's time for other heroes to shine before Marvel comes back to Hulk. We're getting plenty of Hulk anyways.

Femi32
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Hulk already had two movies that didn't do too well. I liked the 2008 version, but it's time for other heroes to shine before Marvel comes back to Hulk. We're getting plenty of Hulk anyways.

True, but he hasn't had a movie in six years while Thor and Cap get their third in two to three years. He's the only original A-lister Marvel had before everyone else got more popular than they previously were. He should get more respect than this.

As far as Phase 3 is concerned, man, I cannot get anymore excited for any single movie, because knowing all of them are coming out has me super excited! It's too much awesomeness in one day! It hasn't been a week since the Age of Ultron trailer came out and I was still viewing that multiple times.

Between this and the NBA coming back, I can't take it!

WhiteWitchKing
In terms of MCU, Hulk is the Weakest One There Is. I think Feige knows this and wants to explore other options first. This is how they feel about an Iron Man 4. Downey is asking for too much money so why bother when they have more characters that they could hire cheaper, aspiring actors to play that could churn out another trilogy. For now, Hulk and IM are getting supporting roles. Feige is a true business man.

Femi32
Iron Man had a trilogy, Avengers, and will show up in ensemble and support roles. We aren't starving for more Iron Man. The Hulk had his own movie, Avengers, and hasn't had an official sequel, yet.

I'm not saying Hulk isn't difficult right now, but he does deserve a movie. It will be ELEVEN years by the time he gets a sequel if he's not getting one by 2019. That is a very long time.

DARTH POWER
In terms of MCU, Hulk is the Weakest One There Is. I think Feige knows this and wants to explore other options first.

If they did a Hulk movie Post Avengers, and that still didn't perform too well financially, then I'd completely understand them not wanting to do another Hulk movie.

But not wanting to risk it even at this point when they're making GOTG the biggest superhero movie of the year, and when they know full well all of the Core Avengers have had a Massive boost in box office since the Avengers, then yeah there's really no reason to have zero announcements on a Hulk solo movie in a slate that goes all the way up to 2019.

As for the other movies Hulk's going to be in, I have my fingers crossed for Thor 3.

krisblaze
Hulk might not make for a great movie, but Ruffalo is an excellent actor. The best they have on team Marvel.

janus77
Ang Lee seems to have destroyed Hulk, as far as movies are concerned.

The Incredible Hulk was a fantastic film, but it just could not seem to get rid of the bad smell of Ang Lee's movie.

Seems harsh, but then Hulk's best stories would require budgets that would be astronomical even by Hollywood box office standards.
WWH would take a lot of work and would probably have to be a LOTR type 3 parter, with Planet Hulk, WWH and then the aftermath leading up to WWHS.

The origins story would be boring as hell as, frankly Hulk on the run is not good cinema.

Using any of the other manifestations of Hulk would lead to further problems, a Fixit story would just look and sound cheesy without the whole Hulk history to contextualise him.

A Prof. Hulk story would be boring, unless it involved The Pantheon, Thor or related to Onslaught (which is not feasible, I imagine).

So, origin story aside, they would either have to tackle the extremely ambitious WWH or they would have to continue from where The Incredible Hulk left off, and that would require some sort of audience buy-in to the change of actor and characterisation of Banner from TIH to whatever the new film was.

Also, Hulk needs to come across as incredible, as some sort of god even amongst super heroes. Otherwise we have no use for him. With the Avengers, he's always clearly the most powerful one there, doing things the others wouldn't even have a hope of (one-shot downing mechafish etc), the Avengers themselves provide contrast and allow him to dominate without much effort.

In a standalone movie, he would have to be doing something substantial, which is not something Marvel superheroes do in movies. They're typically dialled down, and a dialled down Hulk is ... "meh".

krisblaze
I can think of at least a dozen Hulk stories I like more than WWH...

Each more suited for the big screen.

-Pr-
Originally posted by krisblaze
I can think of at least a dozen Hulk stories I like more than WWH...

Each more suited for the big screen.

Just a dozen? Pfft.

DARTH POWER
The only reason we haven't had another Hulk movie yet is because of the Box Office of the last one.

It's got nothing to do with the Quality of that movie. Because Box Office doesn't really work like that. IM3 was pretty sub-par in terms of Quality, yet absolutely killed it at the box office.

The mistake Marvel made was to release TIH so soon after Ang Lee's abomination, and at a time when Marvel wasn't the HUGE Brand name it is today. They could have just reintroduced Hulk in the Avengers without a solo movie at that time.

Still it is a big shame that 6 years later, Hulk's role/popularity in Avengers, and Marvel movies being such a Gigantic Brand name now, that they're still not giving Hulk another shot to carry his own movie for the next 5 years. Big shame.

krisblaze
Ang Lee's abomination?

It's like you guys didn't even watch the movie.

80sBaby
I don't thin k it's a shame since no character actually "deserves" a movie. TIH underperformed. Why should Marvel force another film just because? They clearly have a plan that a solo Hulk film doesn't fit into. If they made another one just because some people think he "deserves" it, then that's like editors forcing writers to shoe-horn in characters/arcs into the comics. And we all know how that generally turns out...

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by krisblaze
Ang Lee's abomination?

It's like you guys didn't even watch the movie.

Is this a joke? I meant abomination as in it was a terrible movie. Not referring to the villain Lol.

Originally posted by 80sBaby
I don't thin k it's a shame since no character actually "deserves" a movie. TIH underperformed. Why should Marvel force another film just because? They clearly have a plan that a solo Hulk film doesn't fit into. If they made another one just because some people think he "deserves" it, then that's like editors forcing writers to shoe-horn in characters/arcs into the comics. And we all know how that generally turns out...

Firstly they clearly were planning Hulk sequels when they made TIH, so that was never part of their plan Originally. If plans can change once, they can change again.

Secondly Hulk is the only one of the 4 franchises which made up the first Avengers not to continue. And yet they know he's a big part of the Avengers and would not do Avengers 2 or 3 without him. That's why he "deserves" a solo franchise. Because of his contribution to the larger franchise.

As for the "underperforming," I mean jeez give him a fair shot Post Avengers. TIH followed Ang Lee's crap and was before Marvel had such a big brand name. They've taken much bigger risks and they've paid off - GOTG. So why not 1 of the Original 4?

All I hear is excuses and people justifying it due to Marvel's huge(and deservedly so) popularity- Hence They can do no wrong.

pym-ftw
So am I the only person noticing a lack of getting behind Antman? I mean we have heard more about what the plot of Black Panther will be than Antman and it drops next year.

80sBaby
Firstly they clearly were planning Hulk sequels when they made TIH, so that was never part of their plan Originally. If plans can change once, they can change again.

I don't think it's at all clear they planned any sequels.

That still doesn't equate to "deserving" anything. The others were financially successful. TIH wasn't. That's just business, nothing personal.

He got the same "fair shot" that IM, Thor and Captain America did. And he did worse than all of them.

And why not? Because they don't want to and there's no reason they should.

Well people hear what they want to, I guess.

Golgo13
I think Hulk would benefit now more than 6 years ago. Especially after Avengers and Avengers 2.

80sBaby
Originally posted by Golgo13
I think Hulk would benefit now more than 6 years ago. Especially after Avengers and Avengers 2.

Probably, yes. But I wouldn't say he deserves anything over any other character, though.

DARTH POWER
I don't think it's at all clear they planned any sequels.

So what you think TIH was planned as a one off?

Did you forget the Leader set up at then end? You think that was set up in mind to do nothing with it for the next 10-15 years?

Don't be naive.

That still doesn't equate to "deserving" anything. The others were financially successful. TIH wasn't. That's just business, nothing personal.

Those others didn't have a really s*** movie made just 5 years earlier by Universal. Context!

He got the same "fair shot" that IM, Thor and Captain America did. And he did worse than all of them.

No he didn't. They've all had sequels, even though Hulk came before them all (except IM).

And Ruffalo Hulk hasn't had a shot at all.

And why not? Because they don't want to and there's no reason they should.

He's by far the most famous and recognizable Avenger. And he's the only one of the Core 4 left without his own franchise.

With Marvel being such a big brand name now, and Hulk clearly being immensely popular from Avengers, there's really no reason they shouldn't.

Firefly218
I'd rather that Marvel doesn't compromise its overarching vision/plan for the MCU just to capitolize on hulk's popularity.

Besides, we're getting so many new movies. Characters who've never gotten the spotlight before are getting movies.

It's a smart business move too. Now is the time to establish new franchises, as Marvel brand its super popular.Milking the Hulk cash cow will only bring short term success, creating new franchises will bring long term success.

DARTH POWER
^ Well that's a fair point. I suppose Hulk is a character they know they can make money out of any time. Just doesn't seem right that IM, Cap and Thor all get a trilogy, whilst Hulk doesn't even get 1 sequel (or first movie for Ruffalo) for the forseeable future.

roughrider
To repeat my earlier point - Marvel Studios seems to believe Hulk works best in a group dynamic, rather than as a solo character, despite that being his longtime mode in the comics. The monster success of Avengers only seemed to convince Marvel that Hulk is at his best with the other Avengers as contrasting characters in the same story. Besides, the holy trinity of the Avengers is Cap, Thor and Iron Man; Hulk getting another movie in 2008 was about reworking his origin to fit into the new shared universe and wiping away what happened in 2003. If he took off at the box office, maybe things would be different. The fact the film was only a middling success, was certainly offset by Iron Man's unexpected monster success. Minimum goals were accomplished with TIH in 2008. Now Marvel has it's sights set on expanding other important corners of their universe.

WhiteWitchKing
Proof that Loki's staff is the Mind Gem.

Infinity War trailer at Marvel Conference:

Uv2NRpG76Pg

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by roughrider
Besides, the holy trinity of the Avengers is Cap, Thor and Iron Man;

That's in the comics. In the movies Hulk's easily on par with them in status.

Originally posted by roughrider
Hulk getting another movie in 2008 was about reworking his origin to fit into the new shared universe and wiping away what happened in 2003. If he took off at the box office, maybe things would be different.

Exactly. Things would have been different if TIH was a bigger box office success.

But seeing as that film followed the stink of the Ang Lee movie, and seen as it was released before Marvel had this Massive brand name it has now, and seen as Hulk is one of the Core 4, and seen as Ruffalo hasn't had his shot yet going solo.... Given all that was just expecting they would have given Hulk another shot.

If their second shot still underperformed (I doubt it would) then I'd completely understand if they didn't make a Hulk solo movie again.

Proof that Loki's staff is the Mind Gem.

Infinity War trailer at Marvel Conference:

Yeah I heard about that. I remember a lot of people were guessing that, but others were complaining it can't be because it wasn't powerful enough.

Interesting anyway.

krisblaze
Mind-gem staff, ultimates anyone?

DARTH POWER
Well reading Feige's comments in this article, I think they will eventually give us a Solo Hulk outing:

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/no-black-widow-or-hulk-films-why-marvel-fans-are-not-getting-what-they-wanted-9825814.html

In the meantime I expect he will have a major role in all upcoming Avenger movies, and possibly minor roles in other movies as well.

DARTH POWER
Here as well:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2014/10/28/marvel-event-burning-questions/18066035/

WhiteWitchKing
Yeah I heard about that. I remember a lot of people were guessing that, but others were complaining it can't be because it wasn't powerful enough.

Interesting anyway.

The movie had some confusing moments like Fury and Selvig saying or alluding to the staff being just a part of the tesseract.

I got confused when Loki was talking to the Other in what seemed like a dream state or memory when the two had a conference while Loki was sitting in his base in Germany. Eventually, now I think it was some sort of conference on the astral plane using the mind gem since it did glow during that scene.

Femi32
A quick poster I made this week after all those movies were announced.

EDIT-Sorry. It didn't upload.

Kazenji
Al Pacino Confirms That He's Met With Kevin Feige; Teases Upcoming MARVEL Role

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112124

Inhuman
Originally posted by Kazenji
Al Pacino Confirms That He's Met With Kevin Feige; Teases Upcoming MARVEL Role

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112124

Orlando Bloom wants "IN" on a Marvel movie as well...

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112118

SpaceMonkey
Holy crap! Can it be true?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112646

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by SpaceMonkey
Holy crap! Can it be true?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112646

If it is.. well hot damn.. I'll all in

Inhuman
Meh. if sony is involved in any way , it makes me less hopeful this will end well.

IMO- the MCU is doing fine and will continue to do fine without spidey.

and I like spiderman.

DARTH POWER
Of course MCU 's doing fine without Spider-Man. That doesn't mean we don't want Spider-Man to be part of it. I would lose my mind if this happened.

But it won't. They tried coming to a deal but the logistics of it were not working for either party. And if Spidey had a part in CA3 I'm sure we'd know by now.

WhiteWitchKing
Forget this, they don't need this deal. Sony is in deep trouble at this point. I don't wish this crisis on Sony, but this studio is about to go through some hard financial times. Marvel should hold their ground to remove Andrew Garfield, reboot Spiderman in their vision, and remove Avi Arad complete from the franchise.

DARTH POWER
True, with Marvel being as Huge as it is right now, and Sony being in the bad state it's in, Marvel should be calling all the shots. And I'm sure Marvel will say "Our way or the high way."

Marvel don't need Sony at all. But they're still good enough to even consider a deal simply because they know fans would love Spider-Man being part of the MCU.

But on the other hand who knows maybe a few years from now Sony will save itself from its financial mess. In which case if Marvel ever want Spider-Man back, nows the time to strike Imho. But I'm sure the Marvel execs know what they're doing.

JayDaDon
This Sony leak and current cancellation of the Interview are going to be CRUCIAL elements in the potential of Sony playing ball with Marvel. Apparently Sony execs have invited Kevin Feige to the Spidey summit in January. Stay tuned!

Kazenji
Kristen Stewart want to be part of the Captain America movies

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=113798

someone put up Red Skull's daughter in the comments.

KCJ506
Eh pretty much every actor/actress says that they would be willing to play in a Marvel film. It's not a big deal.

Kazenji
Well its a good sign for the genre compared to how it was looked at years ago.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.