Phase 4 - Bottom of the Barrell

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WhiteWitchKing
What do you think Marvel will do in Phase 4 regarding new heroes? By that, I mean which heroes are left to be featured. Please don't bring up sequels since I know they will have that?

Golgo13
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
What do you think Marvel will do in Phase 4 regarding new heroes? By that, I mean which heroes are left to be featured. Please don't bring up sequels since I know they will have that?

Do you know how many characters Marvel has? AMC Movie Talk always brings up that they have a ton of characters they can use.

Golgo13
As for other movies, I would think Black Widow and Loki would be there somewhere.

WhiteWitchKing
I know how many they have, but which ones will they or should they bring on is what I'm asking.

Golgo13
Well, which ones do they have? Is it every character other than spidey, Xmen, and fantastic four?

I can see a Deathlok movie. To counter Cyborg.

ares834
They pretty much ruined Deathlok with AoS though. Unless they decide to retcon that can't see them making a movie on him.

Firefly218
Originally posted by ares834
They pretty much ruined Deathlok with AoS though. Unless they decide to retcon that can't see them making a movie on him.
Yeah, probably not

Marvel did Guardians of the Galaxy... they could do anything. Plus with all the sequel opportunities, phase 4 should be no problem.

GotG 3
Antman 2
Black Panther 2
Captain Marvel 2
Inhumans 2
Avengers Movie
Dr. Strange 2
Hulk solo movie
The Defenders movie
IM4
Cap 4
Thor 4

Those options are without considering new characters, which marvel will do no doubt.

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Golgo13
Well, which ones do they have? Is it every character other than spidey, Xmen, and fantastic four?

I can see a Deathlok movie. To counter Cyborg.

That's my point. At this point, they are definitely at the bottom of their barrel. Still I forget they still have some great potentials.

Runaways - would be for first choice for a team.

Hercules - they NEED to make this!!! Him and Hemsworth Thor in an argument would be so epic.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100729025819/comicadventures/images/a/a2/Hercules.jpg

Nova - needs to be made so they can move into their Annihilation story line.

Thunderbolts - would be awesome.

She-Hulk - would work. All you need is a tall and toned actress with charisma. They can just paint her green like Gamora.

Agents of Atlas - another interesting team they can do.

Inhuman
By that time marvel will hopefully have silver surfer, Galactus, Dr doom, the skrulls back.
They got a bunch of cosmic stories they can tap into.
Other notable mentions besides the ones already posted in this thread.... Alpha flight, Excalibur, namor, reboot: punisher, ghost rider, blade....
Moon knight , man thing, sentry, beta ray bill, Hyperion, the elders of the universe

JayDaDon
Agents of atlas could be another potential Guardians.

I also feel like they're gonna reboot by using infinity war. Gauntlet resets the universe or changez it, it could be a very convenient way to do it.

Firefly218
Howard the Duck

Insane Titan
They will prolly do another shitty Hulk movie.

I'd like to see a villian more for a change.

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Insane Titan
They will prolly do another shitty Hulk movie.

I'd like to see a villian more for a change.

Well, they can do a Planet Hulk. He was kinda a villain in that. Two birds. One stone.

Golgo13
Didn't they say they were thinking of doing a Thunderbolts movie?

BruceSkywalker
Planet Hulk/World War Hulk
Beta Ray Bill
Balder the Brave
Iron Fist
Moon Knight(but might be suited for cable)
The Punisher(see above)
The Celestials/The Eternals
Ghost Rider(Danny Ketch)
Blade

I'll think of more later

Kazenji
Originally posted by ares834

Except that Deathlok wasn't Luther Manning, So yeah its possible to still do him.

Kazenji
As for characters the only one i can think of which hasn't been mentioned in here....Daimon Hellstrom.

DARTH POWER

Hercules - they NEED to make this!!! Him and Hemsworth Thor in an argument would be so epic.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100729025819/comicadventures/images/a/a2/Hercules.jpg

This!

Insane Titan
Well, they can do a Planet Hulk. He was kinda a villain in that. Two birds. One stone. so another shit Hulk movie plus he was more of anti hero.

WhiteWitchKing
so another shit Hulk movie plus he was more of anti hero.

Yes, and Planet Hulk will feature Hulk choking Thanos out and taking the Infinity Gauntlet. Then Marvel will make a new event movie called Cosmic Hulk: Breaker of Universes. In it, Thanos has to join forces with everyone (heroes and villains) to fight Hulk.

Kazenji
The current writer on the Black Widow comic, Wrote a 6 script for a movie

http://toybox.io9.com/black-widows-writer-unveils-6-glorious-pages-for-her-hy-1654900539/+riamisra

Bentley
A movie based on Incredible Herc would be made of pure win. Make it happen Marvel.

jinXed by JaNx
Without X-men and Spiderman and also excluding the sure tickets which the pre-existing Avengers, We are left with..., Dr Strange, Black panther, Fantastic Four and he runaways.

Kazenji
Marvel still don't have the rights back for Fantastic Four, So yeah that's off.

Kazenji
Another that hasn't been mentioned in here is Wonder Man.

krisblaze
Runaways seems like the most likely choice to me.

The movie was so close to happening a few years ago.

WhiteWitchKing
Runaways, Nova, and Agents of Atlas would bring fresh faces to the screen along with a different set of heroic motivation.

Supermex
Plz make

Marvel Hercules

Namor

Blue Marvel

Spectrum

One_Angry_Scot
If only.

http://i.imgur.com/OVmwrs0.png

I could see a long haired Nikolaj Coster-Waldau playing Sentry.

Kazenji
Killraven.

quanchi112
so another shit Hulk movie plus he was more of anti hero. Iyo not mine. Hulk is a great character and Starlin agrees.

wink

Supermex
(Defenders) would be cool. Down the line phase 4. Dr.Strange brings Namor, Silver Sufer-Maybe, Ghost Rider ala Hulk, Thor, Iron Man and Cap in Avengers. Joint the Defenders also Daredevil, maybe Daimon Hellstrom, Black Panther, Luke Cage and so on.

(Hercules) maybe take Hulks place on Avengers before a solo. After Hulk goes off planet.

Captain Mavel (Carol) in a Superman role. Earth most powerful superhero. Why not? Strong female role.

Silver Surfer, Warlock and Nova in GOTG somehow.

(Illuminate) movie with Blk.Panther, Dr.Strange, Iron Man, Hank Pym's, Hulk, Black Bolt & Namor.

(Thunderbolts)

(She-Hulk)

(Avengers 4) with Falcon, Captain Marvel, Scarlet Witch, Hercules, Lady Thor, Vision, Quicksilver, Ant-Man

Kazenji
^ Silver Surfer is off the list since Fox owns his movie rights.

JayDaDon
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
If only.

http://i.imgur.com/OVmwrs0.png

I could see a long haired Nikolaj Coster-Waldau playing Sentry.

U know, part of me actually wonders what the odds are we'll see Sentry in the MCU.

Supermex
Originally posted by Kazenji
^ Silver Surfer is off the list since Fox owns his movie rights.

I know that's why I put a maybe. Would be nice thou

Supermex
Originally posted by JayDaDon
U know, part of me actually wonders what the odds are we'll see Sentry in the MCU.

We might not get a Superman type in the MCU..
I heard a rumor that Marvel might plan to make
Captain Marvel (Carol) its Superman type. Even making her Mcu Earths most powerful superhero in a Superman type role. Making her a focal point in MCU future in that role if the rumor is true.

roughrider
Critics thought when Marvel Studios got started, they were already scraping the bottom of the barrel since they couldn't use Spider Man, Fantastic Four or X-Men. The have been proven wrong over and over again. stick out tongue

Saying they are going to the bottom now, is yet another erroneous statement.

JayDaDon
Originally posted by Supermex
We might not get a Superman type in the MCU..
I heard a rumor that Marvel might plan to make
Captain Marvel (Carol) its Superman type. Even making her Mcu Earths most powerful superhero in a Superman type role. Making her a focal point in MCU future in that role if the rumor is true.

Wow I sure hope THAT doesn't happen.

Supermex

Kazenji
Originally posted by roughrider
Critics thought when Marvel Studios got started, they were already scraping the bottom of the barrel since they couldn't use Spider Man, Fantastic Four or X-Men. The have been proven wrong over and over again. stick out tongue

Saying they are going to the bottom now, is yet another erroneous statement.

That's movie critics for ya....they don't know shit.

Supermex

Tzeentch

JayDaDon
What sounds amazing about that? Being the most powerful has never really been what Carol Danvers was about

Supermex
What sounds amazing about that? Being the most powerful has never really been what Carol Danvers was about

True, but things do change.
Marvel is going thru changes and maybe this is part of the agenda. Not everyone will be happy. Instead of a male superman, marvel will have a female caped superhero in that kind of role, which will bring all kinds of different issues to the character in story building and movie making.

Again that's if Marvel sticks to those plans.

Blair Wind
Captain Marvel
Runaways or Young Avengers
Nova Prime

Tzeentch
What sounds amazing about that? Being the most powerful has never really been what Carol Danvers was about Power scaling = character concept? wut

Supermex
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Power scaling = character concept? wut

Meaning?

Tzeentch
What?

ares834

So? It's not what Thor is about either. So what's the big deal if they make Ms. Marvel more powerful? Do you just want other characters to be stronger?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Supermex
Meaning?

He's speaking in tongues, Good luck getting a proper answer.

roughrider
They have held back on both Thor's full power potential and the Hulk's to some degree, because they needed to sell the Avengers team concept and why two such powerful heroes would need or want to be part of it. I would prefer they not make Carol Danvers the Superman of the MCU, but rather a peer to Thor.

Supermex
They have held back on both Thor's full power potential and the Hulk's to some degree, because they needed to sell the Avengers team concept and why two such powerful heroes would need or want to be part of it. I would prefer they not make Carol Danvers the Superman of the MCU, but rather a peer to Thor.

I think she will be more a peer to Thor and not more powerful, but a peer.

Tzeentch
How does her power level in relation to the rest of the cast matter whatsoever beyond "that's not true to the comics!"

DARTH POWER

Agree with this.

On one hand I think it would be a nice change to have a Woman being the Most Powerful Hero. On the other I don't mind her kicking Thor or Hulk round a bit, but make it clear that she's not actually above them (at least not above Thor).

JayDaDon
To see her knock around an established comic powerhouse like the Hulk would make me throw up in the theatre.

DARTH POWER
To see her knock around an established comic powerhouse like the Hulk would make me throw up in the theatre.

laughing out loud

Supermex
If they make her a peer of Thor and Hulk then it might show on comics first maybe during this summers event or right after. Marvel is going to change during secret wars.

We shall see.

DARTH POWER
They did have her overpowering Hulk once in the EMH Cartoon. And Hawkeye made some comment about her being as Powerful as Thor or something. But as the series went on they clearly showed Thor was the most powerful. The most Powerful Avenger will always be Thor in the end!

Tzeentch
Sounds like it's time for a change. thumb up

JayDaDon
Then screw her, make Spider-Man the most powerful smile

Tzeentch
On the condition that Spiderman's a chick. thumb up

Inhuman
Sounds like it's time for a change. thumb up

The only change spiderman ever needed is changing the studio from sony to marvel.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Inhuman
The only change spiderman ever needed is changing the studio from sony to marvel.

Honestly Marvel's slate is so full they wouldn't have time to do a Spider-Man solo movie right now.

So with the deal we have Marvel use him when and as they like in the movies they are already making, and consult another studio making his solo films. And this without Marvel paying a dollar. So it's really a win-win scenario Imo.

The only real risk is if this deal/arrangement breaks down in a couple of years. That would be a mess.

Inhuman
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Honestly Marvel's slate is so full they wouldn't have time to do a Spider-Man solo movie right now.

So with the deal we have Marvel use him when and as they like in the movies they are already making, and consult another studio making his solo films. And this without Marvel paying a dollar. So it's really a win-win scenario Imo.

The only real risk is if this deal/arrangement breaks down in a couple of years. That would be a mess.

I know. my response was more towards the people wanting spidey to be a girl or Miles Morales nonsense smile

JayDaDon

Did you see what happened once they got access to Spidey? Exactly what I always said would happen, they moved heaven and Earth to make room for him. I have no doubt Marvel would do the same if they could make solo Spidey films.

JayDaDon
On the condition that Spiderman's a chick. thumb up

So that's all it's about, who cares about character right? Smh

DARTH POWER
Did you see what happened once they got access to Spidey? Exactly what I always said would happen, they moved heaven and Earth to make room for him. I have no doubt Marvel would do the same if they could make solo Spidey films.

Exactly, so it wouldn't be a good thing if Marvel actually re-aquired Spider-Man's full movie rights at this point. They have a lot of other projects to get out there. And hey Spidey's just 1 character (the most Iconic 1 bit still just 1), so imagine the mess if they got back the rights for X-Men?!

So the way they have arranged this deal is the best way for Marvel movie fans right now. Just look at it like Marvel's subcontracting the Spider-Man solo movies to another studio because they don't have the time to deal that with their busy schedule stick out tongue

Bentley
I hope Warner decides to share the rights of Superman with Marvel, now that would be messed up.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Bentley
I hope Warner decides to share the rights of Superman with Marvel, now that would be messed up.

Hey if BvS f***s up then you never know. They might be begging to put Batman and Superman in the MCU!

What have you started Sony stick out tongue

Tzeentch
So that's all it's about, who cares about character right? Smh You've yet to explain how Ms. Marvel being the strongest member of the cast actually effects her character in any way beyond it not jiving with the comics.

NemeBro
You've yet to explain how Ms. Marvel being the strongest member of the cast actually effects her character in any way beyond it not jiving with the comics. You should probably do that yourself, considering you said it was "amazing", lol.

Tzeentch
It doesn't affect her character at all lol

DARTH POWER
It doesn't affect her character at all lol

But it affects our pride as Men.

NemeBro
It doesn't affect her character at all lol Then what were you calling "amazing"?

Tzeentch
You.

JayDaDon
Exactly my point. Why would it be so amazing if it doesn't effect her character?

Tzeentch
Because it'd be an opportunity to give a minority character a center spotlight in a setting dominated by generic white males (tm).

The four minority characters in the series of any note are all supporting characters (Fury, BW, Falcon, Gamorrah). Even if someone like T'challa made it into the MCU, he'd still ultimately be overshadowed by the stronger characters. Having a minority who can hang with the likes of Thor and Hulk would be a refreshing change of pace.

Meanwhile, still waiting for an explanation on what/who exactly would be harmed by Ms. Marvel being the strongest character in the series. If Thor ended up being the strongest Avenger, would anyone give a shit?

ares834
But it affects our pride as Men.

thumb up

A women more powerful than all the men? Sorry, but that's way too unbelievable and unrealistic.

Tzeentch
thumb up Tell that to the Covenant.

JayDaDon
I don't think it would be all that world changing or eye opening. Were already getting a very powerful superheroine coming around the corner in Wonder Woman.

Tzeentch
Wonder Woman is DC.

But it kind of says a lot about how systemic the problem it is that you think the impending existence of a *single* minority powerhouse in a cast of dozens of super-powered characters adequately addresses the issue.

Let me ask you a question. Women make up ~51% of the human population, and non-white people make up ~85% of the population. Why shouldn't the MCU at least kinda sorta reflect that by having a diverse cast with some fair representation?

I mean, I'm not even asking for a TRUE representation of real life gender/race ratios. I think having a small handful of minority characters who can hang with the top-tier fighters is entirely reasonable, though.

Kazenji
I know Whedon has brought this issue up, Blames it on sexism

http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-female-superhero-movie-sexism/

Tzeentch
What kind of psychopath uses "recalcitrant" in regular conversation.

edit- I never had an issue with the IM3/Thor 2 posters, but seeing them side by side in this context does make me kind of cringe, lol. That said, I still don't have a problem with it. There's nothing wrong with damsels in distress, imo.

NemeBro
That's because you're a sexist pig.

Tzeentch
No, I just wish RDJ would hold me like that.

Henry_Pym
Or we are a species with sexual dimorphism...

SJWs finding a conspiricy, when the truth is painfully obvious is hilarious.

White male heroes sell better, it's not sexism or bigotry holding a female/minority movie from being made, it's just the hypocrites not putting there money where their mouth is.

The truth of the matter ^

Tzeentch
No shit they sell better. When 90% of action flicks have white male protagonists, it's all but inevitable that that category will have the best sellers. That's simple probability math, bro.

The first two Hunger Games flicks completely shitting on Thor 1 and 2 in sales is all the proof you need that minority-led films can just as profitable, if they're actually made well. The notion that white male led films are more common because they sell better is a tautological argument, and also pretty ignorant of the history of cinema.

Henry_Pym
Hunger Games had no competition... If we combine the comic book movies with white male leads it kills hunger games.

And I wasn't talking purely cinema, I was talking about the comic books sales, merchandise, and every other actual way to show support while actually doing something.

Personally I'd love more comic book characters getting movies, like a "Selma" inspired Blue Marvel movie set in the early sixtys and deals with race and the struggles of a masked hero. That said I'm not gonna give in to bait tactics like race swapping HT or the random dumb comments that Carol Danvers is the most powerful hero in MU... Sorry.

DARTH POWER
No shit they sell better. When 90% of action flicks have white male protagonists, it's all but inevitable that that category will have the best sellers. That's simple probability math, bro.

Exactly.

I've never understood people going by those "statistics." Context to those stats is kinda important. Just sounds like an excuse for people not to take the "risk. "

Henry_Pym
The Risk is hundreds of millions of dollars, especially if your talking a major movie.

Then you have to account for these people's jobs, if your the director of a bomb, your now struggling to find work.

Proof is proof no matter how it's twisted.

Bentley

Well, the male part sort of reflects that the target audience of most action films is male. You could probably make a similar note on romantic comedy leads being female. It sort of fits the narrow idea of demographics a marketing person would have when thinking about a movie as a product.

But race wouldn't make a very sound argument from that perspective. There is the element of star power that could be thrown in for the kicks, white male actors might bring a bigger audience than minority actors would otherwise.

Henry_Pym
It does when you look up disposable income, amount of times visiting movies, ect

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
The Risk is hundreds of millions of dollars, especially if your talking a major movie.

Then you have to account for these people's jobs, if your the director of a bomb, your now struggling to find work.

Proof is proof no matter how it's twisted.

That risk exists with Every big budget movie.

But the idea that there's a significantly larger risk with a female lead is all in your head(and you're not to blame because it's clearly in the studios heads as well).

Henry_Pym
It's sad but true.

Outside of JLaw, which actress can could bring realistic badassery and star quality now?

Mike82
It's sad but true.

Outside of JLaw, which actress can could bring realistic badassery and star quality now?

Emily Blunt, Zoe Saldana, and Anne Hathaway. Oh, and let's not forget Scarlet Johansson.

Mike82
Hunger Games had no competition... If we combine the comic book movies with white male leads it kills hunger games.

And I wasn't talking purely cinema, I was talking about the comic books sales, merchandise, and every other actual way to show support while actually doing something.

Personally I'd love more comic book characters getting movies, like a "Selma" inspired Blue Marvel movie set in the early sixtys and deals with race and the struggles of a masked hero. That said I'm not gonna give in to bait tactics like race swapping HT or the random dumb comments that Carol Danvers is the most powerful hero in MU... Sorry.

Well, maybe you could just give credit were credit it is due. Hunger Games with or without competition was a smash hit with a female lead. Its the only movie needed to prove the point that a movie featuring a strong female lead can make bank at the boxoffice. This isn't the 1950s.

Blue Marvel won't be getting a movie anytime soon, he's still a very new character and is not very popular. Carol Danvers can be the most powerful character in the movies if Marvel chooses to make her so. Movies are different than comics. Its fine, the world won't end. I wouldn't be surprised that a character with super-human strength, flight, durability, energy projection, absorption, and manipulation would end up being the most powerful character.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by NemeBro
That's because you're a sexist pig.

So, if a movie focuses on a male protagonist trying to save a female it's sexist, right?

Kazenji
Marvel is considering filming Thor: Ragnarok & Captain Marvel here in Australia, Disney is happy with how the latest Pirates has turned out for them.

CPT Space Bomb
I just hope Thor: Ragnarok is better than Dark World sad It's one thing to try and inject humor into a movie; it's another thing entirely to ruin it with too much. I'm not saying Thor: TDW was a terrible movie; it just wasn't near as good as it should/could have been.

Kazenji
^ Too many cooks in the kitchen i bet

they've pruned that now.

Jury
Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 will no longer have a solo character title film... but TEAM UPS.

CPT Space Bomb
Still can't wait for Dr. Strange and Black Panther!!

JayDaDon
Black Widow/Winter Soldier please GOD!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jury
Marvel Cinematic Universe Phase 4 will no longer have a solo character title film... but TEAM UPS.

More from your mysterious "Insider" roll eyes (sarcastic)

StiltmanFTW
I'm sceptical, too.

Mike82
I don't see why people are still skeptical after phase 2. Marvel made $1.3 billion off of two obscure franchises(GOTG, and Ant-Man). Guardians is considered one of Marvel's best films and Ant-Man is better than most other Marvel films. Arguably two of Marvel's worst films are Iron Man 2 and Thor TDW, and not some obscure Marvel property they were trying to introduce for the first time.

Jury
Fantastic Four: Inhumans

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.