Need Help With Physics Behind Thor Neutron Star Feat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

uberhulk
Hi

I know this isn't related to Anime but from reading posts on other forums Anime fans seem to have a far better understanding of the physics behind feats that fans of other comic book genres so I was hoping someone could explain the physics behind a Thor feat?

In Thor 281 Thor is blasted by a Graviton Bomb and "is instantly subject to a gravimetric attraction akin to that of a neutron star.". He is then "pulled irresistibly down by the incalculable increase in local gravity and is quickly buried from view by an ever compacting mass of unimaginable tonnage".

We see him buried under a rectangular mountain of metal.

I know gravimetric can relate to weight and also gravity. The mass of a neutron star is 1.4 (or 1.5 according to other sources) that of our sun.

I'm confused by the statements relating to gravimetric and mass. Does this mean Thor is buried under the weight of a neutron star or is subject to the gravitational pull of a neutron star? If the latter is the case what force is he exerting to tank the gravity 2 billion times stronger than Earth's gravity? Is it similar to the force required to move a planet?

I cannot post links as a newb but if you google Thor 281 Neutron Star you should see the images.

Astner

SSJGGogeta

uberhulk

uberhulk
Define "move," technically an iota of force is enough to move a planet. Or better yet, read up on Kepler's laws.

By move I literally mean lift, to pick up, not overhead but pick up.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by uberhulk
Thank you for the reply. There is no way to really determine how much mass he is buried under from the scans but you answered the question to my satisfaction.

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you post the scan? If you have it, that is. I'd just like to see it to know what you're specifically referring to.

SSJGGogeta
Actually, I just found the scan. Here you go;

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/10/109250/2247729-ThorStrength25.jpg

Pretty crazy feat, tbh. Yeah though, applying the approximate weight of that metal, 10 tons give or take, we can multiply it by the gravitational increase of a neutron star, and we then come up with a lifting feat for Thor of 2,000,000,000,000 tons. That's 2 trillion tons, give or take. That's an uber impressive feat, tbh. Still not even mentionable to Superman or Goku level, but still.

uberhulk
Originally posted by SSJGGogeta

Pretty crazy feat, tbh. Yeah though, applying the approximate weight of that metal, 10 tons give or take, we can multiply it by the gravitational increase of a neutron star, and we then come up with a lifting feat for Thor of 2,000,000,000,000 tons. That's 2 trillion tons, give or take. That's an uber impressive feat, tbh. Still not even mentionable to Superman or Goku level, but still.

He lifted the Midgard Serpent which was three times the length of Earth (Thor 372) and throw off the weight of 20 planets (Thor Annual 9). The heaviest thing PC Superman lifted was Pluto, the heaviest thing New 52 lifted was Brainiac's starship which was between 3-4 times larger than Earth (Action Comics 34) so by some distance Thor is stronger than Superman.

I cannot post scans until I have 20 posts. I have over 500 scans from comic books all sourced direct from the digital downloads and not from other websites. If you google

uberhulk dot imgur dot com you'll see my scans. They're all sorted into albums and titled.

NemeBro
Still not even mentionable to Superman or Goku level, but still.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/49536/2776898-912919_goku_40_tons_super.jpg

themadsurfer

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/10/109250/2247729-ThorStrength25.jpg

10 tons? I think we must do this by the dimensions formed after the metal was compressed by the gravity. Don't get me wrong but 10 tons of metal while exposed to the gravity of a neutron star would barely be visible to the human eyes yet in the scan the formation of the metal after exposed is quite visible.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by uberhulk
He lifted the Midgard Serpent which was three times the length of Earth (Thor 372) and throw off the weight of 20 planets (Thor Annual 9). The heaviest thing PC Superman lifted was Pluto, the heaviest thing New 52 lifted was Brainiac's starship which was between 3-4 times larger than Earth (Action Comics 34) so by some distance Thor is stronger than Superman.

I cannot post scans until I have 20 posts. I have over 500 scans from comic books all sourced direct from the digital downloads and not from other websites. If you google

uberhulk dot imgur dot com you'll see my scans. They're all sorted into albums and titled.

Size doesn't necessarily equate to weight, or mass. And no, PC Superman pulled an enchanted chain with thousands of planets from one galaxy to another. That was probably his best feat. And New 52 Superman has a lot of feats more impressive than that, such as slamming Superboy Prime through Rao, lifting 200 quintillion tons(or was that New 52? I'm pretty sure it was) with one arm, and a bunch of other crap.

If your argument is that Thor is stronger than Superman, then you've already lost, lol. Superman has feats that make Thor look like an amoeba compared to a dinosaur.

Originally posted by themadsurfer
10 tons? I think we must do this by the dimensions formed after the metal was compressed by the gravity. Don't get me wrong but 10 tons of metal while exposed to the gravity of a neutron star would barely be visible to the human eyes yet in the scan the formation of the metal after exposed is quite visible.

Yeah, but we can also see that the visible mass of the metal didn't change that much, if at all. This makes that simply chock-able as faulty comic logics. Just like someone "destroying" gravity, in the first place.

Originally posted by NemeBro
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/4/49536/2776898-912919_goku_40_tons_super.jpg

He wasn't even using ki there. When he went SSJ, the flame aura that surrounded him was JUST the glow emitted by transforming. This has been explained many times to you, so I'm not gonna take the time to call this outlier, or a misunderstood feat by you. If you wanna bring this up, lets also bring up Superman losing to Karate kid, and Muhamed Ali. thumb up All the times these things happened, were because the characters were restraining their powers, to either test themselves, or train themselves.

themadsurfer

Yeah, but we can also see that the visible mass of the metal didn't change that much, if at all. This makes that simply chock-able as faulty comic logics. Just like someone "destroying" gravity, in the first place.

I think that in this case the writer was actually thinking about this(but not the artist lol), since he wouldn't talk about being "buried in an ever COMPACTING mass of UNIMAGINABLE tonnage" if there were barely 10 tons of mass in there.

SSJGGogeta
I think that in this case the writer was actually thinking about this(but not the artist lol), since he wouldn't talk about being "buried in an ever COMPACTING mass of UNIMAGINABLE tonnage" if there were barely 10 tons of mass in there.

Well it depends on the type of mass we have in the first place, because all metals have different masses. Not only do we not know the amount of weight, but we also don't know what kind of mass it is. Anyway, it IS clear that the author and the illustrator were not both on the same page. From what we're given, we can see that the author DID clearly intend for it to be equivalent to swimming through a neutron star, even if the mass isn't the same.

Still though, this chocks up to faulty comic logics, as we also just saw Thor destroy gravity, by throwing it. no expression

themadsurfer
Well it depends on the type of mass we have in the first place, because all metals have different masses. Not only do we not know the amount of weight, but we also don't know what kind of mass it is. Anyway, it IS clear that the author and the illustrator were not both on the same page. From what we're given, we can see that the author DID clearly intend for it to be equivalent to swimming through a neutron star, even if the mass isn't the same.

Still though, this chocks up to faulty comic logics, as we also just saw Thor destroy gravity, by throwing it. no expression

Agreed, but Thor didn't destroy gravity he busted the metal far away and long enough for him to throw the hammer and destroy the alien ship that was controlling the gravity device that was on Thor.

SSJGGogeta
Agreed, but Thor didn't destroy gravity he busted the metal far away and long enough for him to throw the hammer and destroy the alien ship that was controlling the gravity device that was on Thor.

But gravity doesn't work that way. My point is that if the center of gravity was at Thor's stomach, then he would have been compressed into a miniature black hole, along with the metal. Metal doesn't just stay metal under the pressure present in a neutron star. It is refined down to base matter, and compacted into a sphere of ever-compacting matter. If anything, the metal would have fused with Thor's skin, even assuming that he could have avoided being turned into base matter.

And to blast the center of gravity away from yourself, you would have to be attracting it somewhere else, with a stronger center of gravity.

What I'm saying is that that scan was a mess of logical, and scientific fallacy's.

themadsurfer
But gravity doesn't work that way. My point is that if the center of gravity was at Thor's stomach, then he would have been compressed into a miniature black hole, along with the metal. Metal doesn't just stay metal under the pressure present in a neutron star. It is refined down to base matter, and compacted into a sphere of ever-compacting matter. If anything, the metal would have fused with Thor's skin, even assuming that he could have avoided being turned into base matter.

And to blast the center of gravity away from yourself, you would have to be attracting it somewhere else, with a stronger center of gravity.

What I'm saying is that that scan was a mess of logical, and scientific fallacy's.

I agree, the metal should have been ridiculously compressed on him. But that's what the writer tried to demonstrate and the artist didn't catch that, maybe because It has no logic lol.

uberhulk
Size doesn't necessarily equate to weight, or mass. And no, PC Superman pulled an enchanted chain with thousands of planets from one galaxy to another. That was probably his best feat.

No, he pulled about 13 planets and that was Silver Age Superman. (Superboy 140, 1967). The chain wasn't enchanted.

https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-218bf98d7535fbea14248b8c1b298f2f

I think you mean into Rao, not through Rao and 200 quintillion tons is considerably less than the mass of Earth, which is considerably less than the mass of a score of planets - the most weight Thor has lifted.

Complete and utter nonsense. Thor's strength feats are vastly superior to Superman's best strength feats. They're not even comparable. 20 planets > 1 planet. Not to mention Thor's vastly superior striking power and durability.

DeadpoolXXX
an 8 year old bump? lol

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.