What do you do for work

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Past: Military

Present: Skilled Labor

dadudemon
Past: Fast Food

Present: Enterprise IT Management

Digi
Past: Education

Present: Communications & Marketing; also freelance writing

Originally posted by dadudemon

Present: Enterprise IT Management

So, like, franchising? Or burger flipping? Either way, IT management sounds a lot better. wink

Time Immemorial

Donut shop?

ArtificialGlory
I really don't think what I do for a living qualifies as work, but here goes anyway:

Past: Nothing

Present: Landlord

Shakyamunison
I'm a Mechanical Designer. I'm an expert at geometric tolerancing, and have used SolidWorks sense 1998.

Bardock42
I own a software company in the construction industry.

riv6672
Past: Military

Present: Bootlegger

Impediment
Past: US Army Infantry, Correctional officer for Texas Dept. of Criminal Justice, CDL driver/vendor for Anheuser-Busch.

Present: Industrial Radiographer. I employ different types of non-destructive testing on oil fields, pipe lines, and refineries such as magnetic particle, dye penetrate, ultra sonic, and eddy current. However, 95% of my job consists of radiographic testing; I work with a radioactive "camera" and I x-ray pipe welds.

I f*cking love my job so much.

Mindship
- Present: psychologist for NYC public high schools.
- Future: scifi author*

*Note to self: don't quit current job.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Digi
Past: Education

Present: Communications & Marketing; also freelance writing

So, like, franchising? Or burger flipping? Either way, IT management sounds a lot better. wink

I did fast food when I was 16-17. Everybody has to start somewhere and no one should feel above that kind of work.

Here are the fast food places I worked:

Braums

McDonald's.

Oh shit! I forgot, I was laid off from Metlife Dental so I worked as a sign holder for Quiznos for 2 weeks to hold me over until my insurance agent stuff started/cleared for a big name in insurance (I won't name them). I should note that I made more money with PacifCare than any other place I've worked, so far: even my current job.

Why did I quit? Because some of my clients LITERALLY died because the policy denied coverage. I could not live with myself. It was one of the easiest decisions of my life. The last month I was there, I advised all of my clients all of the insurance policy loopholes to get them the highest payouts and the easiest methods of getting payouts. Wanna know why I strongly strongly want a universal healthcare solution? I worked directly for one of the most evil insurance companies in the world and they are one of the better ones. no expression

Dude....f*ck American insurance companies.

Time Immemorial
Damn lies! I know you worked at a donut shop!!smile

Astner
Previous: None. Although it should be noted that I've made money off of graphic design and Javascript programming.

Current: McKinsey Consultant (Associate).

Future: Artist and wrtier.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Mindship
- Present: psychologist for NYC public high schools.
- Future: scifi author*

*Note to self: don't quit current job.

Don't be so hard on yourself. You shared some of your stuff a long time ago, with me. One thing that I think you do better than 99.9% of mainstream authors out there is write (seems odd, but I'll explain what I mean). You have what I would call "delicious prose." Your writing style is the type that, even if you're not interested in the story or lose interest, the prose can sometimes catch the reader's attention.

For me, 50% of a good novel is the prose, alone. I don't care what people say about the Twilight series, but some of the stories regarding the characters are really really good. But the dialogue and prose from Stephenie Meyer sucks massive turds. It pretty much ruins her series. I can deal with angsty teens because they are teens. I can deal with sappy romance novels because the novels from her are supposed to be sappy romance novels. Those things do not bother me. But her f*cking prose, man...I swear, it is written by an 11-year-old, at times.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Damn lies! I know you worked at a donut shop!!smile

I wish! I should have worked at Daylight Donuts. Not only do they have the best plain glazed donuts in America (for a big chain...there are probably dozens of mom and pop donut shops that make better ones), their company initials are double Ds! Who doesn't like double Ds?

http://www.visitstatesboroga.com/wp-content/uploads/Daylight-Donuts.jpg.jpg

Time Immemorial
Lol, DD!

Bentley
I work at e-reputation, so to speak.

Originally posted by Astner
Previous: None. Although it should be noted that I've made money off of graphic design and Javascript programming.

Current: McKinsey Consultant (Associate).

Future: Artist and wrtier.

What would you like to write?

Omega Vision
Past: None.
Current: English Composition instructor at Florida International University.
Future: Full time professor/novelist
Don't be so hard on yourself. You shared some of your stuff a long time ago, with me. One thing that I think you do better than 99.9% of mainstream authors out there is write (seems odd, but I'll explain what I mean). You have what I would call "delicious prose." Your writing style is the type that, even if you're not interested in the story or lose interest, the prose can sometimes catch the reader's attention.

For me, 50% of a good novel is the prose, alone. I don't care what people say about the Twilight series, but some of the stories regarding the characters are really really good. But the dialogue and prose from Stephenie Meyer sucks massive turds. It pretty much ruins her series. I can deal with angsty teens because they are teens. I can deal with sappy romance novels because the novels from her are supposed to be sappy romance novels. Those things do not bother me. But her f*cking prose, man...I swear, it is written by an 11-year-old, at times.
The way the director of our writing program describes it, a book is like a Christmas tree. The actual writing, what you call prose, is the decorations--stuff everyone sees and notices, while the story/plot is the tree itself.

Bentley
Eh, I kind of wish you could read what I write.

Bardock42
Share it, I'll learn French for you.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bentley
Eh, I kind of wish you could read what I write.
Don't get me wrong. I love the writing part, it's what I excel at and it's the most important criterion for me when it comes to assessing a writer's skill, but without a decent plot (and strong characters) the best fiction writing falls flat, unless it's flash fiction in which case you can get away with it, or if it's something like Joyce's Ulysses.

It's not an either/or proposition either. Most of the best prose stylists are also fantastic plotters and character creators, and on the flipside a lot of the worst writers also struggle to create believable characters and coherent plots.

Mindship
Don't be so hard on yourself. You shared some of your stuff a long time ago, with me. One thing that I think you do better than 99.9% of mainstream authors out there is write (seems odd, but I'll explain what I mean). You have what I would call "delicious prose." Your writing style is the type that, even if you're not interested in the story or lose interest, the prose can sometimes catch the reader's attention. Why thank you, sir. Know any publishers? (j/k)

For me, 50% of a good novel is the prose, alone. I don't care what people say about the Twilight series, but some of the stories regarding the characters are really really good. But the dialogue and prose from Stephenie Meyer sucks massive turds. It pretty much ruins her series. I can deal with angsty teens because they are teens. I can deal with sappy romance novels because the novels from her are supposed to be sappy romance novels. Those things do not bother me. But her f*cking prose, man...I swear, it is written by an 11-year-old, at times. This reminds me of comments regarding E.L. James and her book, "Fifty Shades of Grey." It's been said that her prose is nothing to write home about, if not being downright amateurish. But it's got (overtly) strong sexual themes, and that's all the publishing business cares about cuz sex sells. Actually, a few years back, I had read some of Fifty, and the prose, while hardly "delicious" despite the topic, wasn't all that bad. Basic, gets the gist, I would say.

Robtard

The last month I was there, I advised all of my clients all of the insurance policy loopholes to get them the highest payouts and the easiest methods of getting payouts.

I'm pretty sure I saw this in 'The Incredibles'.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Joyce

I think you misspelled "choice"

Bentley
Don't get me wrong. I love the writing part, it's what I excel at and it's the most important criterion for me when it comes to assessing a writer's skill, but without a decent plot (and strong characters) the best fiction writing falls flat, unless it's flash fiction in which case you can get away with it, or if it's something like Joyce's Ulysses.

It's not an either/or proposition either. Most of the best prose stylists are also fantastic plotters and character creators, and on the flipside a lot of the worst writers also struggle to create believable characters and coherent plots.

I don't disagree, there is a middleground where plotters and poets make for the best prose. Downright disregarding either is ludicrous, specially considering the kind of litterary history we have had in the last century.

Have you read Borges? I don't actually know much of his english translations, but he's my favorite spanish speaking writer.

Mindship
It's not an either/or proposition either. Most of the best prose stylists are also fantastic plotters and character creators, and on the flipside a lot of the worst writers also struggle to create believable characters and coherent plots. Actually, what I realized was that, while I could write well, I was not necessarily a good storyteller. Looking back at earlier stuff, I can see Marty Stu practically all over the place.

Tzeentch
Past: IT tech in my Dad's electrical company, security guard, electrician.

Present: security guard once again. School doesn't leave time for much work, and part-time security hits that sweet-spot of low hours and above minimum-wage cash.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
I'm pretty sure I saw this in 'The Incredibles'.

Where do you think I got the idea? big grin

Astner

Robtard
Seems likes a mixture of other books/movies/comics/ideas, but I like it regardless. Nothing wrong with doing something that has already been done, as long as you put your own spin on it and most importantly, make it not suck dirty ass.

So make it not suck dirty ass and you have a winner on your hands, Astner!

AbnormalButSane
Current: tutor college students in math and physics

Previous: researcher, library clerk, music instrument sales, instructor

Omega Vision
I don't disagree, there is a middleground where plotters and poets make for the best prose. Downright disregarding either is ludicrous, specially considering the kind of litterary history we have had in the last century.

Have you read Borges? I don't actually know much of his english translations, but he's my favorite spanish speaking writer.
Yeah I've read some Borges. He was the greatest writer to have never won a major international prize.
Originally posted by Mindship
Actually, what I realized was that, while I could write well, I was not necessarily a good storyteller. Looking back at earlier stuff, I can see Marty Stu practically all over the place.
People who can write well but can't write a good story or craft a good character are common. Much rarer are masters of plot and characterization who can't write a good sentence to save their lives, simply because writing is much easier than plotting or creating a good character.

Oneness
Be a badass and lift some truly heavy ass shit without damaging the small room surrounding it.

Oneness
I make a plan, the plan has to suck, there's no easy way, then I man the **** up and execute it.

dadudemon
Originally posted by AbnormalButSane
Current: tutor college students in math and physics

Previous: researcher, library clerk, music instrument sales, instructor

Awesome!!!

I want to complete my physics degree. I know for a fact that I'm rusty as f*ck. That will be probably 3 or 4 years down the road, though. sad But, when I do, I will beg you for help.

Time Immemorial
Awesome!!!

I want to complete my physics degree. I know for a fact that I'm rusty as f*ck. That will be probably 3 or 4 years down the road, though. sad But, when I do, I will beg you for help.

Heresy, you be completing my donut shop before that!

Bentley
Yeah I've read some Borges. He was the greatest writer to have never won a major international prize.

Take that Dante biscuits

Impediment
BackFire's job probably involves latex gloves to a certain extent.

AbnormalButSane
Awesome!!!

haermm As long as you don't need help in electrodynamics.

Reflassshh
Past: High school
Present: University
Future: Civil rights attorney

Digi

Borges is my favorite writer, period. Though of course I've only read English translations. I wrote a short story once for a writing class that was modeled after his style. To mixed reception among my peers, granted, though the instructor enjoyed it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.