Vader vs. Sidious (Who was more important in the force)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
After constant nagging and debates between TOR fans and people who constantly reiterate the same arguments for Sidious being the SUPREME Sith. I'm asking the fundamental question of who is more necessary to the Star wars Mythos. Vader was constructed by the force to offset the diabolical machinations of Plagueis/Sidious, but Sidious is the very reason why the Empire exists/and truthfully wasn't even bothered that much that he reappeared in DE? But as a two-pronged question, what character is more essential to the SW mythos as a whole?

ILS
Revan, Bane, Malgus and Krayt are all more powerful and more important than Sidious and Vader put together.

carthage
Sidious is the confirmed most powerful Sith in cannon.

I love Malgus but he is a lowly figure in the history of the Sith much like the other TOR Sith. The question remains though who is more essential to the lore of Star wars.

Trocity
Equal to me.

FreshestSlice
Sidious is the Dark Side.
Anakin is the Force.

Do the math.

carthage
What math? There are philosophical implications here, as evidently Anakin's moment wasn't enough to defeat the Emperor for good as he reappeared.

FreshestSlice
But Han Solo was? You realise the lapse in that type of thinking yes?

red8
Movies only answer:

Luke will always be the main character of Star Wars in my mind. I'm not a prequel hater, but I hated the whole "chosen one" thing (as well as some other things). But the main antagonist that we see throughout the movies is Vader. The emperor played a small role in the OT. So I would say that Vader is more important.

EU answer:

Sidious is far more important than Vader. Sidious is the end of Bane's rule of two. He's the culmination of the one thousand year plan that destroyed the republic and nearly wiped out the Jedi. He is the reason Anakin was even born. He is the most powerful Sith Lord of all time. He is responsible for the Clone Wars and the rise of the Empire. He is pretty much one man against the entire galaxy.

Maul, Talzin, Savage, Dooku, and the Jedi all wanted to destroy him, but he outmaneuvered and took care of (almost) all of them.

In the end (ignoring DE), because of his arrogance, Sidious beat himself, because nobody else could do it.

FreshestSlice
Vader was always the intended protagonist, well before the PT was a thing.
Sidious is not the reason Anakin was born.
Sidious didn't beat himself

So yeah.

Marco1907
I never see Vader (and Dooku) as a true Sith to begin with. Vader always had a light side inside of him, and as for Dooku he was more like a force master who change his side because the dark side began to grow stronger than the light.

There were only two real Sith in the movies ; Sidious & Maul imho. Maul lost his place as an apprentice and his destiny, and Sidious stayed alone as a true Sith, so yeah, Sidious was more important as an active sole Sith in the whole series.

Trocity
What does being a true sith have to do with the OP?

Marco1907
Originally posted by red8

In the end (ignoring DE), because of his arrogance, Sidious beat himself, because nobody else could do it.

Well I would agree with this, because Maul lost because of the same reason. He beat himself. Real Sith has only this kind of weakness ; their arrogance.

Just like Luke said to Sidious in the RotJ movie ; ''Your over-confidence is your weakness''

Cixa-cVrCC4

Both Sidious and Maul lost because of their arrogance.

''A victim of his own over-confidence, Maul sliced in two by Kenobi.''

- Official Star Wars Fact Files 01

Marco1907
Originally posted by Trocity
What does being a true sith have to do with the OP?

Because Vader never become one. Unlike Sidious, he had always a lightside inside of him. If not, he would be more powerful even with his current potential in that suit.

Jmanghan
Wasn't Malgus at his best one of the best lightsaber duelists in History??

carthage
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Wasn't Malgus at his best one of the best lightsaber duelists in History??

thumb up

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Marco1907
I never see Vader (and Dooku) as a true Sith to begin with. Vader always had a light side inside of him,
That doesn't stop you from being a Sith.

Marco1907
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
That doesn't stop you from being a Sith.

Yes, that stops you for a some degree. Mace Windu immediately understood that Asajj was not a Sith, or Qui-Gon understood that Maul was a Sith. Imo, Vader was not a true Sith. For being a Sith, there shouldn't be any light at all.

FreshestSlice
Yes, that stops you for a some degree. Mace Windu immediately understood that Asajj was not a Sith, or Qui-Gon understood that Maul was a Sith. Imo, Vader was not a true Sith. For being a Sith, there shouldn't be any light at all.
That makes absolutely no sense. Maul also isn't completely Dark. He obviously cared about Savage. Using your logic, Maul isn't a true Sith either.

Marco1907
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
That makes absolutely no sense. Maul also isn't completely Dark. He obviously cared about Savage. Using your logic, Maul isn't a true Sith either.

How is that a sign of light ? Sidious cared Vader in RotS, because he needed to use him as a tool. Savage was a perfect tool for Maul, he can't find a better and loyal apprentice like Savage.

If Maul would care about Savage, like more than a tool, he wouldn't beat him in Season 5 (when the time he get more powerful) and he wouldn't declare himself as his master.

FreshestSlice
How is that a sign of light ? Sidious cared Vader in RotS, because he needed to use him as a tool. Savage was a perfect tool for Maul, he can't find a better and loyal apprentice like Savage.

If Maul would care about Savage, like more than a tool, he wouldn't beat him in Season 5 (when the time he get more powerful) and he wouldn't declare himself as his master.
I haven't seen a single thing that suggests Maul didn't actually care for Savage as a brother. Controversially, I can see multiple places in the mythos were Sith have cared about others and expanded past the handwringing that most Sith have. The number of actually and completely dark Sith in the mythos is slim to say the least.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.