Darth Maul vs Obi-Wan Kenobi

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Welcome to the most original topic ever created that has totally and completely never been done before.
The evil Darth Maul from Son of Dathomir versus the great Obi-Wan Kenobi from Revenge of the Sith.
In round two, the Revenge of the Sith incarnation is replaced with Obi-Wan Kenobi from Claws of the Dragon.
In round three, previous replacement stays, and Son of Dathomir incarnation is replaced with Darth Maul from Resurrection.
Battle takes place on the open dunes of Tatooine with no objects or life in sight. Who will be the first to fall for the other to proclaim ultimate victory?

ILS
Round 1 - Darth Maul, due to a massive advantage in Force power along with more or less equal dueling skill.

Round 2 - Maul for the same reasons as 1

Round 3 - Probably a stalemate, since it's more or less TPM Maul vs ROTS Kenobi. They have similar enough TK for it not to make an impact and their dueling skill is about as even as it gets.

carthage
Kenobi gets force choked out, ragdolled, or sent flying. Without PIS/plot armor he dies in a duel as well

ILS
Why do you think Maul takes a majority in a duel carth? Just curious

carthage
I was gonna say the saber round might be close, but as of Son of Dathomir his dueling feats and physical characteristics impress me more. It'd either be an even split pr slight majority to Maul due to better physical strength/marginally better dueling feats i,e fighting evenly with Mace. The all out round is obvious though

NewGuy01
Either Obi-Wan or Maul.

ILS
I think it's more of an even split. Maul does have more advantages than Kenobi, like strength, durability, stamina, martial arts, possibly tactical skill and just overall versatility. But Kenobi's use of Soresu is kind of tailored to circumventing these advantages, i.e putting up an impregnable defence, conserving energy while tiring out the opponent, leaving little room for openings ect. He's well suited to lasting against Maul.

As a quick side note: Maul also appears to have access to battle telepathy, and there's a slim chance that he could goad Kenobi into a rage like he has done before, although he may have learnt to refrain from doing that by RotS. Still, Maul actually clouded Kenobi's mind during their TPM duel telepathically and fed off of his anger in order to strengthen himself, so if there's a chance any of that could come into play it'd definitely throw things in Maul's favor. Pushing that to the side for a second, though..

Kenobi doesn't really have a way of defeating Maul in a lightsaber duel. Soresu is only good for exploiting gaps in defence and tiring out an opponent - and Maul's defence really isn't weak to begin with, considering he was doing just fine while on the backfoot against Jinn and padawan Kenobi together, and he doesn't even utilise any Forms tailored towards defence aside from Niman, which is a bit of everything. And Maul obviously isn't going to tire out before Kenobi.

Kenobi could try to push an offensive with Ataru, but Maul is highly familiar with the Form, especially if you subscribe to the theory that it's one of the prerequisite Forms he mastered in order to control Juyo. On the other hand Maul is completely tailored towards offence with his use of Juyo, Teras Kasi, Niman/Jar'Kai and again, maybe Ataru if you believe he has also mastered it (there's no better alternative). So that along with his superior stamina would more than likely allow him to defeat Kenobi after a ridiculously long duel. Unless you either see Kenobi finding a lapse in Maul's defence and exploiting it, or him winning through PIS/circumstances like usual.

ares834
Kenobi.

All three.

Marco1907
Originally posted by ares834
Kenobi.

All three.

You are biased.

Marco1907
Maul's juyo is not going very well against Kenobi's soresu. However if he uses niman, which provides force attacks in mid-duel, he can do better.

Maul wins in a close fight due to force edge.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Marco1907
You are biased.
I have yet to see you not vote for Maul in a versus, actually. confused
Even in threads like Sidious vs Mau, you write about how Maul did good.

ares834
Originally posted by Marco1907
You are biased.

Of course I am. Here is a hint, everone is biased.

DARTH POWER
Sabers is close but edge to Kenobi. All out I'd give Edge to Maul. He is just a little more powerful.

But honestly they usually stalemate as Kenobi tends to bring his A-Game when fighting Maul. So there's none of that losing to Grievous or Ventress s*** happening.

They are rivals and peers, opposites and equals. Both are the perfect representations of Jedi and Sith. Both stand up to the big guns through sheer dertermination. And if they show up again after ROTS it will be the same thing.

Revanchiste
We can base ourself with TWC...

Marco1907
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHArqE7OJ2g

thumb up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1fSg_mCId8

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.