These Lord of the Rings characters in various verses

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StealthRanger
These Lord of the Rings characters

Gandalf
Saruman
Witch King of Angmar
Durin's Bane
Sauron

Go through several verses

1. Harry Potter
2. Underworld
3. Twilight
4. Star Wars
5. X-Men Universe
6. Marvel Cinematic Universe

How far can they get?

StealthRanger
So anyways....

Robtard
Clears

1, 2, & 3 with contemptuous ease.

Jmanghan
They get destroyed once entering SW Universe.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Robtard
Clears

1, 2, & 3 with contemptuous ease. lol

Stops dead hard at Star Wars, if they even get that far.

"Hey, I wonder who would win between these earth-bound characters and a galaxy-spanning setting with fleets that can raze planets?"

FrothByte
They clear 2, maybe 3. I don't see them clearing the others though.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by NemeBro
lol

"Hey, I wonder who would win between these earth-bound characters and a galaxy-spanning setting with fleets that can raze planets?"

You star wars fanboy you!!! stick out tongue

StealthRanger
lol

I was talking individual character terms, obviously

ares834
In that case probably clears. The only ones I can see that are potentially capable of harming Sauron as a spirit are HP and co but none of them have the necessary power to destroy him.

NemeBro
How does Sauron deal with the heavy hitters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

Originally posted by StealthRanger
I was talking individual character terms, obviously Then why did you use "universe"?

ares834
How does Sauron deal with the heavy hitters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

If worse comes to worst, outlast them.

Tzeentch
What movie feats does Sauron have that would allow him to really do anything? In his physical form he's as helpless against physical attacks as anyone else since Anduril is never explicitly stated to be magical sans the general Elvishness, in the movies, and in his spirit form he didn't do a whole lot either.

At best you're looking at a stalemate as he can't be killed but neither can he actually harm anybody.

ares834
Spirit Sauron can still use magic and shit. In DOS he absolutely stomped Gandalf. Admittedly, based on feats, I can't think of anything he could use to defeat characters like Thor or Hulk.

Tzeentch
In Dol Guildor. I could think of several instances in the trilogy where him being able to manifest himself at will anywhere would have been helpful.

Like... when he watched helplessly as Frodo, Gollum and Sam played grab-ass in Mount Doom for 5 minutes before chucking the ring into the lava.

Even if we assume there were extenuating circumstances behind that incident, the trilogy makes it pretty clear that his ability to pop up and rape people is at the least very limited.

ares834
Huh? Why would his power be in anyway connected to Dol Guldur?

And he sent the Nazgul to get the ring, presumably they could arrive faster than he. Or plot hole.

NemeBro
Because he had established a manly base in Dol Guldur and has been gathering his power there for years.

Even if he survives... so what? After his body is ****ing rekt he won't be able to do a single ****ing thing for years. That's a forum win.

ares834
Because he had established a manly base in Dol Guldur and has been gathering his power there for years.

And? The idea that he can only use his magic powers at Dol Guldur is frankly completely unsupported throughout the films.

Edit: Actually its outright contradicted when we see him mind **** Pippin.

Even if he survives... so what? After his body is ****ing rekt he won't be able to do a single ****ing thing for years. That's a forum win.

So angry. But fair enough.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
And? The idea that he can only use his magic powers at Dol Guldur is frankly completely unsupported throughout the films.

Edit: Actually its outright contradicted when we see him mind **** Pippin.

So let me get this straight, there are two instances of Sauron using his power directly in the films. The first is in a place which was corrupted over a period of time and established as a base for his power. The second was through a magical medium that gave Sauron direct access to the object of his assault despite the long distance.

Glad you agree. thumb up

That's my secret.

http://33.media.tumblr.com/ae6aa556a090a661f298bf42aca1c461/tumblr_n60kvuGupP1tq4of6o1_500.gif

ares834
So let me get this straight, there are two instances of Sauron using his power directly in the films. The first is in a place which was corrupted over a period of time and established as a base for his power.

So you are running on assumptions. Gotcha.

Once you have concrete evidence that Sauron's power was enhanced at Dol Guldur or that only there he somehow had access to his abilities post it.

The second was through a magical medium that gave Sauron direct access to the object of his assault despite the long distance.

Through which he mind raped Pippin (and Aragorn). yes

NemeBro
Originally posted by ares834
So you are running on assumptions. Gotcha.

Once you have concrete evidence that Sauron's power was enhanced at Dol Guldur or that only there he somehow had access to his abilities post it.

Through which he mind raped Pippin (and Aragorn). yes You don't seem to understand how this works.

I don't need to prove that Sauron's disembodied spirit can only be used through circumstances like the ones mentioned.

You need to provide evidence he has any power outside of that and can bring it to bear whenever. thumb up

Just one example. That's all you need. Just one. smile

Tzeentch
You're asking for proof of a negative.

The burden would be on you to prove that he can manifest himself without extenuating circumstances, as the simple fact that he has never done so, even when it would have been to his advantage to do so, is at least enough to cast doubt on the ability.

ares834
You don't seem to understand how this works.

I don't need to prove that Sauron's disembodied spirit can only be used through circumstances like the ones mentioned.

What circumstances? There is no reason to believe Dol Guldur is special.

You need to provide evidence he has any power outside of that and can bring it to bear whenever. thumb up

Just one example. That's all you need. Just one. smile

Already have.

s3rczsUcaXU

thumb up

NemeBro
Already covered. The Palantir acted as a direct link to Sauron.

Since you have failed to provide proof for your claim (Sauron can manfiest wherever the **** he wants and **** shit up) and refuse to do so it seems fitting that I accept your concession. big grin

ares834
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The burden would be on you to prove that he can manifest himself without extenuating circumstances, as the simple fact that he has never done so, even when it would have been to his advantage to do so, is at least enough to cast doubt on the ability.

There are no "extenuating circumstances" though. For there to be so we need to have some reason to believe Dol Guldur is some sort of nexus of power for Sauron. We don't.

Tzeentch
Despite it being Sauron the wizard's fortress, in which he had been building up his power for years? The fortress that was explicitly stated to radiate a powerful evil aura? The magical palantir that's explicitly stated to be a magical channeling device?

What makes you think that Sauron could have manifested himself in Bree on a whim and burned Frodo alive with his powers the moment Frodo put the ring on and revealed his location?

What makes you think that Sauron could have manifested himself in the Shire on a whim and burned Bilbo alive with his powers the moment he put the ring on and revealed his location, as opposed to sending his minions across the continent on foot to collect the ring?

ares834
Despite it being Sauron the wizard's fortress, in which he had been building up his power for years?

First, never once in the film (or books) are there magical nexus (at least not that I know of). Secondly, "building his power for years" is nebulous and could mean several things. Like building his armies and regaining his power which, as per the books, is the correct interpretation.

The magical palantir that's explicitly stated to be a magical channeling device?

*Magical communication device. And that still doesn't change the fact that Sauron used his magic through it.

What makes you think that Sauron could have manifested himself in Bree on a whim and burned Frodo alive with his powers the moment Frodo put the ring on and revealed his location?

Because Sauron isn't ever shown telelporting and his spirit is chilling in Barad-dur at the time.

Edit: Saruman, "He can not yet take physical form, but his spirit has lost none of its potency."

Checkmate.

KuRuPT Thanosi
What movie feats does Sauron have that would allow him to really do anything? In his physical form he's as helpless against physical attacks as anyone else since Anduril is never explicitly stated to be magical sans the general Elvishness, in the movies, and in his spirit form he didn't do a whole lot either.

At best you're looking at a stalemate as he can't be killed but neither can he actually harm anybody.

Ummm Elvishness means badass with a touch of something different. Call it whatever you want, but it was no average sword.

NemeBro
Ares, post the part where Saruman clarifies that the "strength" and "potency" he was referring to was in the form of "an army great enough to launch an assault upon Middle-Earth." Either that or the big ****ing eye.

KuRuPT Thanosi
BTW, I recall no reference in that book that Sauron could take physical form because of some nexus at Dongoldur

christianrapper
i think they get ran back to their universe once they enter the star wars realm. how do they stop from being shot with a laser from across the globe

ares834
Ares, post the part where Saruman clarifies that the "strength" and "potency" he was referring to was in the form of "an army great enough to launch an assault upon Middle-Earth." Either that or the big ****ing eye.

Never happens. The potency is the spirit's not an armies. In fact, directly after talking about Sauron's potency he talks about how Sauron sees all. It's only then that he mentions that Sauron is drawing all evil to him and summoning an army.

ares834
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
BTW, I recall no reference in that book that Sauron could take physical form because of some nexus at Dongoldur

He doesn't take physical form there in either the books (not that I know of) nor the movies (at least not yet).

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.