Peter Jackson: The Hobbit vs LOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
You know this was bound to happen some time. I love them both, but can't decide which is better, Bilbo is one of my favorite Middle-Earth characters now though.

Firefly218
LOTR is wayyyyyy better than The Hobbit. The first hobbit stunk balls, the second one was pretty good. All 3 LOTR movies are MASTERPIECES.

Patient_Leech
At this point, give me Gollum or hang it up. I think the schtick has worn thin at this point and the Hobbit movies are just overlong, boring CGI filler.

Gollum is the most interesting thing and he wasn't even in part 2. erm

Time Immemorial
Bilbo ftw.

Jmanghan
Seriously? The only hobbit as good as Bilbo was Sam. I mean, they did get a few things wrong, but I'd at least put them on par with the original LOTR movies. They were both made by Peter Jackson, although it could be they had a Star Wars effect.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I'd at least put them on par with the original LOTR movies. No.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Tzeentch
No. Your opinion, both Hobbit movies got about the same amount of reviews as LOTR.

ares834
Your opinion, both Hobbit movies got about the same amount of reviews as LOTR.

Amount of reviews? Who cares?!

Jmanghan
Originally posted by ares834
Amount of reviews? Who cares?! I'm saying it got just as much critical acclaim of the originals.

ares834
Amount of reviews has nothing to do with critical acclaim... The LotR trilogy, however, has far higher percentage of positive reviews. Not to mention RotK is tied with Titanic for most oscar wins for a single film.

Jmanghan
Amount of reviews has nothing to do with critical acclaim... The LotR trilogy, however, has far higher percentage of positive reviews. Not to mention RotK is tied with Titanic for most oscar wins for a single film. I won't deny that. By amount of reviews, I meant, the way they were received, IMdB, Metacritic, RottenTomatoes, all of which score them in about the same league.

Firefly218
I won't deny that. By amount of reviews, I meant, the way they were received, IMdB, Metacritic, RottenTomatoes, all of which score them in about the same league.

No? That's just incorrect. LotR original movies have much more critical acclaim than the Hobbit movies. Check yo facts

ares834
I won't deny that. By amount of reviews, I meant, the way they were received, IMdB, Metacritic, RottenTomatoes, all of which score them in about the same league.

Nope. Hobbits have 8 on IMDB, LotR films have nearly 9s and all are within the top 20 highest rated movies of all time. On RT, the hobbits average out to about 70% the LotR films are all in the 90s. Metacritic the hobbits are around 60 the LotR films around 90.

Really there is no comparison here. Based on critical reception, the LotR films are in an entirely different league.

Robtard
I prefer LoTR thus far. I doubt 'Five Armies' will surpass the epicness of 'The Two Towers', but we can hope.

Firefly218
The first lord of the rings is the greatest movie of all time imo. The third lord of the rings is in my top ten

jinXed by JaNx
I'm a huge LOTR fan but i can't stand, The Hobbit. In some ways the Hobbit has tarnished my experience with the LOTR movies.

Firefly218
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I'm a huge LOTR fan but i can't stand, The Hobbit. In some ways the Hobbit has tarnished my experience with the LOTR movies.
thumb up

Robtard
You people and your Hobbit hate, disgusting

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Robtard
You people and your Hobbit hate, disgusting

Really? Well, how many times can you sit through, Return of the King before it becomes monotonous and stale? Two-Four? How many times did you watch the original trilogy when it was fresh? I bet you watched several times, yeah? I know i watched the extended editions twice each over the course of a few weeks. At that time i realized these were movies that now needed to be experienced once every couple of years. Watching the Hobbit is like like watching all three of the original trilogies, all at once..,it offers nothing new or unique to the experience, it's just a paint by numbers coloring book featuring the narration that inspired the original trilogy.

That's just me though.

quanchi112
I prefer LoTR thus far. I doubt 'Five Armies' will surpass the epicness of 'The Two Towers', but we can hope. Fellowship blows two towers out of the water. It isn't even close. You would like the worst of the original three as your fave, shorty.

Firefly218
Originally posted by quanchi112
Fellowship blows two towers out of the water. It isn't even close. You would like the worst of the original three as your fave, shorty.
True, the worst of the three is still damn good

Robtard
Fellowship blows two towers out of the water. It isn't even close. You would like the worst of the original three as your fave, shorty.

You follow me and cry in every thread I post, most flattering

Robtard
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Really? Well, how many times can you sit through, Return of the King before it becomes monotonous and stale? Two-Four? How many times did you watch the original trilogy when it was fresh? I bet you watched several times, yeah? I know i watched the extended editions twice each over the course of a few weeks. At that time i realized these were movies that now needed to be experienced once every couple of years. Watching the Hobbit is like like watching all three of the original trilogies, all at once..,it offers nothing new or unique to the experience, it's just a paint by numbers coloring book featuring the narration that inspired the original trilogy.

That's just me though.

I've yet to become bored of any of the LoTR flicks. But yeah, I really have no desire to re-watch An Unexpected Journey any time soon

Do plan on watching the extended cut of Desolation of Smaug (3+hrs) before I go watch Five Armies next month

Quincy
I also enjoyed Fellowship more than The Two Towers.

It felt like hard fantasy. It just threw people into the narrative and was like "BOOM MIDDLE EARTH YOU'LL FIGURE IT OUT AS WE GO."

Two Towers was kind of soft and went more popcorn-flick. Though I think they are both good.

Robtard
Soft and mindless fun? Nah.

LoTR is a trilogy of three very good films (taste vary on which was the best), not many franchises can say that, not even The Godfather series.

quanchi112
You follow me and cry in every thread I post, most flattering You have the worst preferences. Fellowship annihilates two towers. It isn't even close. I am so glad I am not you. Your mind is pure filth.

Quincy
Soft and mindless fun? Nah.

LoTR is a trilogy of three very good films (taste vary on which was the best), not many franchises can say that, not even The Godfather series.

Well no it wasn't mindless, I mean like - it was more accessible to a broader audience.

Robtard
You have the worst preferences.

Fellowship annihilates two towers. It isn't even close. I am so glad I am not you. Your mind is pure filth.

That coming from the guy who loved "Immortals" laughing out loud

Take a couple of deep breaths and calm yourself, you're taking message boards WAY to seriously

ares834
Originally posted by Quincy
Well no it wasn't mindless, I mean like - it was more accessible to a broader audience.

Not sure how you came to that conclusion TBH.

quanchi112
That coming from the guy who loved "Immortals" laughing out loud

Take a couple of deep breaths and calm yourself, you're taking message boards WAY to seriously I never once said I loved the Immortals. Ever.

You loved Two Towers which was by far the worst of the original trilogy. FOTR shits on it.

Robtard
I never once said I loved the Immortals. Ever.

You loved Two Towers which was by far the worst of the original trilogy. FOTR shits on it.

Now I've got you to do a 180* and abandon a film you once loved

I love all the LoTR trilogy like a true winner/fan

Firefly218
I loved immortals

quanchi112
Now I've got you to do a 180* and abandon a film you once loved

I love all the LoTR trilogy like a true winner/fan I liked it never loved it. There is a difference, shortstack.

You still prefer the two towers to the masterpiece that was FOTR. You're a fool.

super pr*xy
i have the desolation of smaug in my dvr but i can't seem to watch the whole thing in one sitting.. i didn't even re-watch the unexpected journey.. but i called in sick one day to watch the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy back-to-back-to-back.. return of the king trumps all..

Robtard
I liked it never loved it. There is a difference, shortstack.

You still prefer the two towers to the masterpiece that was FOTR. You're a fool.

You're trying too hard again, Quanchi

quanchi112
You're trying too hard again, Quanchi I am so glad you like the worst of the three. FOTR was the bests Jackson film to date bar none. Your taste sucks, lollipop kid.

Robtard
I am so glad you like the worst of the three. FOTR was the bests Jackson film to date bar none. Your taste sucks, lollipop kid.

quanchi112
You're trying too hard again, Quanchi You aren't ever trying hard enough.

Robtard
You aren't ever trying hard enough.

Esau Cairn
Groan...y'know no matter what the title is, each movie simply broke down to a journey, a chase, a battle...& repeat.

quanchi112
You're trying too hard again, Quanchi Please do start trying.

Robtard

quanchi112
You're trying too hard again, Quanchi Rage loop. I'm amazing and so is FOTR.

Robtard

quanchi112
You're trying too hard again, Quanchi Rage loop ftw.

Robtard
"irony"

Anyhow. Recently watched the extended Desolation of Smaug, do recommend everyone see it before they go see Five Armies

quanchi112
"irony"

Anyhow. Recently watched the extended Desolation of Smaug, do recommend everyone see it before they go see Five Armies Who hasn't seen it beef or seeing the final film ? You say the silliest things.

Robtard
Who hasn't seen it beef or seeing the final film ? You say the silliest things.

"Seen it beef or seen the final film"? WTF are you talking about, you probably don't even know

But I'm referring to the extended version of DoS specifically. Not everyone watches those. eg you haven't. Go watch it before Five Armies; you'll thank me later

quanchi112
"Seen it beef or seen the final film"? WTF are you talking about, you probably don't even know

But I'm referring to the extended version of DoS specifically. Not everyone watches those. eg you haven't. Go watch it before Five Armies; you'll thank me later Before seeing but the ipad had other ideas, kiddo.

I am a bigger and more knowledgeable Lotr than you so how dare you.

Robtard
Before seeing but the ipad had other ideas, kiddo.

I am a bigger and more knowledgeable Lotr than you so how dare you.

Master your cheap knock-off tablet

Just watch the extended version, it's well worth the 3+ hrs. Go do it now, poser-fan

quanchi112
Master your cheap knock-off tablet

Just watch the extended version, it's well worth the 3+ hrs. Go do it now, poser-fan What makes you think I have not seen it already, vertically challenged guy.

Robtard
Fine, don't watch the Extended DoS. Your loss, loser

quanchi112
Fine, don't watch the Extended DoS. Your loss, loser Already have, shorty.

BackFire
I've enjoyed the Hobbit films but they're not even close to the LotR trilogy, I think.

babyboxoffice
No competition.... LOTR better

queeq
Agreed. The Hobbit: short novel blown out of proportion into three boring long films.

LOTR: an book on an epic scale, condensed into three very well made movies.

Estacado
I enjoyed Hobbit 2-3 but Lotr was much better.

PearlMovies
I think hobbit is better specially its 3rd part

Newjak
Honestly I enjoyed the latest Hobbit movie more than any of the LOTR.

Not saying I hate the LOTR but when I really break those films down. There are only a handful of scenes in each movie I actually enjoyed while I was fairly bored through the rest of it.

BOTFA on the other hand kept my interest throughout the entire movie. After that though I would probably put The Two Towers as my next favorite of the six movies.

quanchi112
Hobbit three was my second favorite film of the series behind Fellowship of the Ring. Two Towers is so overrated it sickens me.

ares834
BoFA was good. But it doesn't hold a candle to any of the LotR films. There is a night and day difference in terms of quality between the two trilogies.

Kazenji
Top 10 Projects Peter Jackson Should Make Next

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/lists-top-10-projects-peter-jackson-should-make-next

Lord Lucien
If I never see the Hobbit films again, I'll be happy. But I need to watch LotR at least once a year.

Robtard
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
But I need to watch LotR at least once a year.

thumb up

Jmanghan
Since Battle of The Five Armies is out now. We can have a definitive debate.

Lord Lucien
What debate? One's an epic trilogy that proved it's mettle. The other is a wannabe epic trilogy that dropped the ball. LotR wins. All the time.

Impediment
The Hobbit should have been adapted into two movies, tops. The amount of padding and adding on in this trilogy was just insultingly bad.

Lestov16
BoFA was good. But it doesn't hold a candle to any of the LotR films. There is a night and day difference in terms of quality between the two trilogies.

That difference being one was adapted because of an artistic passion to see a fantasy epic brought to the big screen, and the other was made out of lazy desire for quick profit. And it's very telling. On more than one occassion, I marathoned all of the first trilogy in a day with no problems or fatigue, whereas I was so bored with the first Hobbit movie I snuck into Jack Reacher instead.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Lestov16
That difference being one was adapted because of an artistic passion to see a fantasy epic brought to the big screen, and the other was made out of lazy desire for quick profit. And it's very telling. On more than one occassion, I marathoned all of the first trilogy in a day with no problems or fatigue, whereas I was so bored with the first Hobbit movie I snuck into Jack Reacher instead.

thumb up

Jmanghan
How dare you compare The Hobbit to Jack friggen Reacher.

C-3POTheClever
LOTR is better, but I love both!

Daisy Roberts
Vote for the Lord of the Rings)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.