Superman strength Vs invulnerability

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
1. Which is greater, Superman's ability to take physical damage or his physical strength?
2. In YO which ability (not counting his other major powers) contributes most to his success in a battle?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by riv6672
1. Which is greater, Superman's ability to take physical damage or his physical strength?
2. In YO which ability (not counting his other major powers) contributes most to his success in a battle?

1. Strength
2. Flight

riv6672
Thanks for responding.

You being sarcastic with question 2 answer or actually misread the OP?

Prof. T.C McAbe
Thanks for responding.

You being sarcastic with question 2 answer or actually misread the OP?

Abilities are HV, FB, Flight, except for Strength and Invulnerability. I wasn't sarcastic tbh. But if you mean like personality traits or something along those line, I would say his unbending will.

riv6672
The thread's about strength and invulnerability.
Question 2 is asking which one, between those two, not counting other powers, is the bigger contribution.
Guess i wasnt clear enough.

Prof. T.C McAbe
The thread's about strength and invulnerability.
Question 2 is asking which one, between those two, not counting other powers, is the bigger contribution.
Guess i wasnt clear enough.

Ah sry, I would say invulnerabilty, else he would get one shot everytime.

Mindship
I'm gonna say the edge goes to Strength, mainly cuz Invulnerability, per se, doesn't smash planets or win fights. It's passive, defensive, and at best keeps Superman from being easily put down. But in the end, it's offense - his strength - that downs opponents. I think Superman once said that if he hits anything long enough, it eventually comes apart.

The two powers really go hand in hand, though. Like I said, to answer this question is to split hairs, imho.

riv6672
Ah, splitting hairs is what we do on these boards. One scan interpreted 12 different ways and all that stick out tongue
Thanks for the answer mindship.

Time Immemorial
Strength, Durability.

Star428
Both of those stats of his are off the charts and far above most other characters (probably at least 90-95% of them) in comics but I guess I'd say strength is greater if I had to choose.

carver9
Lol.

h1a8
Originally posted by carver9
Lol. What's funny?

Anyway I would say durability since Superman does hold back subconciously. This allows his opponents to tear into him more than necessary. It's his durability that allows him to access the situation (what strength should he punch with) and buys him time to figure out how to win.

Star428
h1a8 makes a really good point. He's convinced me to change my vote to durability. People don't realize just how much Superman holds back in nearly every one of his fights because he's terrified of actually killing someone. I think Doomsday and perhaps Darkseid too are the only two opponents he probably doesn't hold back that much against. If at all. No one else holds back as much as Superman does in all of comics. That's why I always laugh when people say stuff like Hulk's base strength is greater than Superman's. LOL. When, in fact, it's no where near Clark's maximum strength level. Hulk would have to get really pissed to approach Clark's level. There's a ton of people on this forum who are totally clueless on just how strong Superman actually is.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Star428
h1a8 makes a really good point. He's convinced me to change my vote to durability. People don't realize just how much Superman holds back in nearly every one of his fights because he's terrified of actually killing someone. I think Doomsday and perhaps Darkseid too are the only two opponents he probably doesn't hold back that much against. If at all. No one else holds back as much as Superman does in all of comics. That's why I always laugh when people say stuff like Hulk's base strength is greater than Superman's. LOL. When, in fact, it's no where near Clark's maximum strength level. Hulk would have to get really pissed to approach Clark's level. There's a ton of people on this forum who are totally clueless on just how strong Superman actually is.

Agreed, his upper limits are well, none! Makes you realize too how powerful doomsday and DS are as well able to trade blows with him. Also shows how uber his durability is!

Star428
Indeed, you are right.

mighty adam
Yes people like black Adam never hold back and is still weaker then supes at 30%. Superman is the king of bricks period.

riv6672
h1a8 touches on what i'd personally say.
Superman's offense is second to none, but his defense is what gets him to the Superbowl, in football terms.

Prof. T.C McAbe
Originally posted by mighty adam
Yes people like black Adam never hold back and is still weaker then supes at 30%. Superman is the king of bricks period.

thumb up

riv6672
Superman is hardly just a brick though.

Time Immemorial
Superman is hardly just a brick though.

Lol are you serious?

Star428
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Lol are you serious?

I think riv meant that Superman has much more going for him than just being a flying brick. He has so many powers and so much versatility with how he uses them (as opposed to someone like Hulk who just smashes things) that labelling Superman as just a "flying brick" is kind of misleading.

shadowknight
The problem is for SM STR and Invulnerability goes Hand & Hand. It's like trying to separate a snail from it's shell it can't be done. But forced to choose I'd say Invulnerability, simply because even without Super-strength he could still survive and defeat more than 90% of his rogues gallery by substituting his SS for Super STR if he has his Invulnerability. And while an argument could be made for him using his SS to make up for his Invulnerability, the major weakness of that argument is the fact SM is protective of innocents and would take the damage meant for them. He would therefore be extremely constrain doing so with his Invulnerability.

Stoic
Superman's strength is greater than his durability. He once hit Doomsday so hard that he nearly broke his hand. That's a pretty good example to show which is greater. The Juggernaut on the the other hand has greater durability than he has strength, and at full power can punch with 100% force without hurting himself.

1. I'd say strength
2. I'd say speed. Speed often buffs defense.

carver9
I think riv meant that Superman has much more going for him than just being a flying brick. He has so many powers and so much versatility with how he uses them (as opposed to someone like Hulk who just smashes things) that labelling Superman as just a "flying brick" is kind of misleading.

Doomsday smashes things as well (hint).

-Pr-
1. Strength.
2. Strength.

Doomsday smashes things as well (hint).

Doomsday is a brick... Your point is?

Star428
Originally posted by -Pr-
1. Strength.
2. Strength.

Doomsday is a brick... Your point is?

I think what he's trying to say with his "hint" is that since Doomsday is such a close match for Superman that Hulk would be as well. I guess he just conveniently ignores the fact that Superman tore him in half though. LOL. Or that Doomsday had razor sharp spikes on him (which he could actually shoot at Clark in H/P) that could actually cut Clark and which Hulk has nothing like that on him. Or that Doomsday could actually move superfast almost as if he had superspeed (which Hulk doesn't have). Or so on and so on...

bobbi
Well Hulk does have some superspeed (he does tag speedsters often) but yeah, not even close to anything superman has.

1. Strength. I think we usually see supes put out more damage than he takes. Mainly cus his opponents usually aren't as strong as he is and he can have feats vs natural phenomenon where his strength matters (pulling planets and such). But I feel his enemies can do damage to him and they usually have less strength feats than supes does.
2. invulnerability for the reasons stated above. He does hold back all the time and just takes hits.

panthergod
Superman holds back/ suppresses his durability as well.

maxivitopowe
How the **** do you suppress durability?

JBL
Originally posted by maxivitopowe
How the **** do you suppress durability? LOL. I want to hear the answer to this question myself. laughing

Insane Titan
Haha jelly is at it again

riv6672
Originally posted by panthergod
Superman holds back/ suppresses his durability as well.

Originally posted by JBL
LOL. I want to hear the answer to this question myself. laughing

Yeah this will be interesting if he follows up.

And thanks, Star428, for keeping the thread from stalling! thumb up

Sin I AM
Originally posted by mighty adam

This never made sense to me. And i know it's abc logic but hear me out. BA and CM are portrayed as equals so is CM and SM. What i dont get is y its said that even when not pulling punches that BA is only equal to a holding back Clark. Ive never understood that

-Pr-
Originally posted by Sin I AM
This never made sense to me. And i know it's abc logic but hear me out. BA and CM are portrayed as equals so is CM and SM. What i dont get is y its said that even when not pulling punches that BA is only equal to a holding back Clark. Ive never understood that

People really, REALLY like Black Adam.

Plus, there's a scan hanging around that states that Adam, because he doesn't hold back and CM does, hits harder than CM. Basically.

He doesn't really suppress it, but he can become more durable. Sunlight doesn't just make him stronger.

riv6672
Yeah, somehow i dint believe he was following THAT logic...stick out tongue

maxivitopowe
Yeah me neither

He hasn't angered himself

panthergod

By having dynamic stats. Superman has memtally supprrssed his durability to human level multiple times, during Legends and OYL/Up, Up and Away. His standard levels are him suppressing his stats down to Elite Class100 level.

carver9
I think what he's trying to say with his "hint" is that since Doomsday is such a close match for Superman that Hulk would be as well. I guess he just conveniently ignores the fact that Superman tore him in half though. LOL. Or that Doomsday had razor sharp spikes on him (which he could actually shoot at Clark in H/P) that could actually cut Clark and which Hulk has nothing like that on him. Or that Doomsday could actually move superfast almost as if he had superspeed (which Hulk doesn't have). Or so on and so on...

no expression

Hulk speed fts>>>> Doomsday speed fts.

psycho gundam
2. In YO which ability (not counting his other major powers) contributes most to his success in a battle? Plot armour

@Pr

riv6672
By having dynamic stats. Superman has memtally supprrssed his durability to human level multiple times, during Legends and OYL/Up, Up and Away. His standard levels are him suppressing his stats down to Elite Class100 level.
Yeah i'm not buying that, at least not the way you just explained it, not where invulnerability is concerned.

h1a8
no expression

Hulk speed fts>>>> Doomsday speed fts. laughing

That's crazy. DD's speed feats>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hulk's speed feats.

Unless you are talking about DcNu DD?

-Pr-
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Plot armour

@Pr

What?

Star428
Originally posted by h1a8
laughing

That's crazy. DD's speed feats>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hulk's speed feats.

Unless you are talking about DcNu DD?

Actually h1a8, I'd say Carver's hilarious post deserves something more like this:

laughing laughing rolling on floor laughing rolling on floor laughing laughing out loud laughing out loud Happy Dance Happy Dance laughing

riv6672
Havent seen the dancing banana in ages!

Star428
Havent seen the dancing banana in ages!

Ha ha. Well, the absurdity of Carver's comment deserves a lot more than that but unfortunately, as I just found out when trying to post that, the system only allows a certain number of smilies.

DarkSaint85

1. Strength
2. Durability.

carver9
Ha ha. Well, the absurdity of Carver's comment deserves a lot more than that but unfortunately, as I just found out when trying to post that, the system only allows a certain number of smilies.

I can open up a thread and we can discuss it there if you want, with scans.

panthergod
Yeah i'm not buying that, at least not the way you just explained it, not where invulnerability is concerned.

I dont give a sh!t what you buy. The comics are conclusive. Superman has dynamic stats across the board, fluctuating from top tier to human level, and up to far above top tier level when not suppressing his stats. superman's invulnerability is dynamic and his standard levels are him suppressing his full invulnerability, period.

Delta1938

Here Superman lost his powers due to amnesia.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/user/Delta1938/library/Misc/Dynamic%20Nature%20Examples/Loses%20Powers%20Due%20To%20Amnesia

Not he survived one of the Firepits, though KOed, and when someone puts a flame to his hand, it's undamaged. But when he wakes up, it burns him. Then later he gradually regains powers through training, but becomes more powerful because he's convinced he's Darkseid's son, and gets his power from Darkseid.

Jelly is also correct up UP, UP AND AWAY where Superman's mind is suppressing his powers, and he gets jumps in them as needed.

riv6672
I dont give a sh!t what you buy.
And yet you dredge this up a week and a day later, just to tell me so.

Haha

Glorious.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.