Top Scariest ways Earth could end.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
For me, it'd be a black hole, or Zombies. An uncommon one is Paranormal Warfare, where humans would become irrelevant while Angels, Demons, and Scariest of All: GHOSTS, waged war on the planet. The first two are probable, last one not so much.

Jmanghan
Honestly, we'd be powerless to stop the last one, considering IF ghosts are real, we'd have no defense, technology can't combat the paranormal.

Star428
Originally posted by Jmanghan
For me, it'd be a black hole, or Zombies. An uncommon one is Paranormal Warfare, where humans would become irrelevant while Angels, Demons, and Scariest of All: GHOSTS, waged war on the planet. The first two are probable, last one not so much.

I'd be much more afraid of demons than ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts anyway. Demons are an entirely different matter though.

I don't understand what you mean by the world ending by a black hole or zombies are "probable". I'd say the chances of zombies rising are pretty much zero. The black hole is more likely but even that is extremely unlikely. I'd say nuclear war, a disease epidemic, or a huge asteroid slamming into the earth again are much more probable scenarios. Or even the sun burning out which will happen eventually. Probably not for billions of years though.

red g jacks
global warming / nuclear war. it's scarier for me to think the earth will end cause we did some dumb shit than a random natural disaster like an asteroid that is more or less unpreventable. zombies/ghosts/etc are fake so i can't get scared of that shit.

as for just the human species... i think the best way for us to go out is by making robots that are superior to us to take our place.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Star428
I'd be much more afraid of demons than ghosts. I don't believe in ghosts anyway. Demons are an entirely different matter though.

I don't understand what you mean by the world ending by a black hole or zombies are "probable". I'd say the chances of zombies rising are pretty much zero. The black hole is more likely but even that is extremely unlikely. I'd say nuclear war, a disease epidemic, or a huge asteroid slamming into the earth again are much more probable scenarios. Or even the sun burning out which will happen eventually. Probably not for billions of years though.

Demons in the traditional sense. Not Paranormal Activity demons. As for the Zombie's thing, no one's going to rise from the dead, but a disease spread by Saliva and Blood, totally different, think bath salts, they don't even really have to be dead, just mindless and cannibalistic.

Also, you have no idea how terrifying looking out your window and seeing a supermassive Black Hole would look, imagine going into the sun, but bigger and pure darkness.

Wonder Man
Cannibalism would be pretty bad.

Star428
Demons in the traditional sense. Not Paranormal Activity demons. As for the Zombie's thing, no one's going to rise from the dead, but a disease spread by Saliva and Blood, totally different, think bath salts, they don't even really have to be dead, just mindless and cannibalistic.

Also, you have no idea how terrifying looking out your window and seeing a supermassive Black Hole would look, imagine going into the sun, but bigger and pure darkness.

Yeah, I agree that the black hole would be super terrifying but I think it's highly unlikely that would ever happen.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Star428
Yeah, I agree that the black hole would be super terrifying but I think it's highly unlikely that would ever happen.

Did you know that you as a human being, if maintained your mass and got tiny enough, would turn into a Black Hole? Did you know there are over 10k Black Holes in our Galaxy, the biggest one at the center of the galaxy? Last but not least, there is a machine on our planet, that, if misused, could create a black hole on the planet, that could swallow the planet whole. It's called the Hadron, I don't remember what it's purpose is, but... yeah. Also, Gamma Ray Bursts. They would fry everyone on the planet to a crisp.

Jmanghan
Oh, and there is a way to stop a Black Hole from killing us, just dump a bunch of Radiation inside.

Shakyamunison
The Earth being slowly turned into strange matter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_matter

Mindship
The 1% raping the Earth, sucking out all its resources in the name of greed and profit, til the Earth becomes a polluted, lifeless husk, except for the few humans still living, desperately clinging to their bank statements.

Actually, that would be the saddest way for the Earth to end. The scariest? We're in the direct line of fire from a gamma-ray burst ... though getting sucked into a black hole -- a smaller one, so the destruction takes time -- would also be chock full of awesomeness.

Jmanghan
You're telling me that getting fried to death is scarier then looking outside, seeing a giant black hole bigger then the sun, and then watching it get closer and closer, wouldn't be as scary?

All life on Earth would be destroyed within seconds on Earth, btw. We'd become spaghettified, the gravity so strong that it forces your body to implode. Plus, I can't even imagine how horrifying it'd look inside, and yes, if we were outside on earth, we would be able to see the inside of a black hole before we died.

They're also rather noisy, so that's also a thing. It's been said that it sounds more terrifying then any Natural Disaster ever to befall mankind.

Mindship
You're telling me that getting fried to death is scarier then looking outside, seeing a giant black hole bigger then the sun, and then watching it get closer and closer, wouldn't be as scary?

All life on Earth would be destroyed within seconds on Earth, btw. We'd become spaghettified, the gravity so strong that it forces your body to implode. Plus, I can't even imagine how horrifying it'd look inside, and yes, if we were outside on earth, we would be able to see the inside of a black hole before we died.

They're also rather noisy, so that's also a thing. It's been said that it sounds more terrifying then any Natural Disaster ever to befall mankind. Well, that's the thing: you wouldn't need a black hole bigger than the sun (actually, afaik, most are way smaller cuz of the extreme compaction) to wreck havoc. And since one can't see black holes anyway -- just their effects -- we'd be seeing/feeling the Earth (and everything on it) getting pulled apart w/o ever spying what's actually doing it.

Damn. We wouldn't even get the satisfaction of seeing our killer. Kinda like a phantom accident. Makes all kinds of gnarly traffic probs; you're straining to see what's causing it. But by the time you get there ... nothing. What a letdown.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Mindship
Well, that's the thing: you wouldn't need a black hole bigger than the sun (actually, afaik, most are way smaller cuz of the extreme compaction) to wreck havoc. And since one can't see black holes anyway -- just their effects -- we'd be seeing/feeling the Earth (and everything on it) getting pulled apart w/o ever spying what's actually doing it.

Damn. We wouldn't even get the satisfaction of seeing our killer. Kinda like a phantom accident. Makes all kinds of gnarly traffic probs; you're straining to see what's causing it. But by the time you get there ... nothing. What a letdown. So, we couldn't even see it from space?

That's... boring. :/

Mindship
So, we couldn't even see it from space?

That's... boring. :/ From space? That's another story. Assuming you were far enough from the hole so its gravity didn't capture you, you'd probably see something like this:

http://www.exohuman.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/holeearth1.jpg

That's worth the price of an admission ticket, I'd say.

Bardock42
Would Bloody Mary be a general in the ghost army?

Impediment
If the Sun emitted a massive solar flare, the resulting EMP could destroy all technology on the planet and hurdle humanity back to the Stone Age. The mass chaos and anarchy would be a survival of the fittest situations to the extreme.

Maybe this isn't a literal end of the world scenario, but you get the gist.

Tzeentch
America winning the World Cup.

jinXed by JaNx
If the world were destroyed by a black hole i don't think we would know it. We would probably die due to gravitational or orbital changes before we even knew there was a problem.

I think experiencing the ring of fie erupting would be frightening. If you somehow survived the mass, earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanic fallout you'd get to live the rest of your days in global chaos.

A worldwide nuclear exchange or bio warfare is probably the most terrifying to me though.

FinalAnswer
9AzkZWKa6x4

Omega Vision
Nuclear war or a major pandemic.

Nuclear war is terrifying because based on most simulations/projections I've seen, only 10% of the world's population would actually get killed in the war itself, a large portion would die a slow death of radiation sickness, and the rest would be left with a habitable but poisoned landscape and the complete collapse of global order.

Stoic
You can only die once. What is there to be afraid of, when the circumstances are beyond your ability to control?

Reflassshh
Originally posted by Stoic
You can only die once. What is there to be afraid of, when the circumstances are beyond your ability to control? A slow, painful death?

Stoic
Originally posted by Reflassshh
A slow, painful death?

But we have no say in how we die, we just know that one day it's going to happen to us. This also means that it may happen in a flash, or take years. fear only works for a little while, and then it wears off. So again, what is there to really be afraid of? What I fear is an eternity burning, and reliving some of the most horrible things imaginable, which would be Hell if it actually exists.

Reflassshh
Fair enough. Yeah that's the worst thing that could happen to any of us.

Robtard

Wouldn't all of that all at the same time be scarier? Imagine zombies trying to eat your flesh while angels, demons and ghost waged a global war that leveled cities?

Total apocalypse!

Robtard

Wouldn't all of that all at the same time be scarier? Imagine zombies trying to eat your flesh while angels, demons and ghost waged a global war that leveled cities all at the same time a black hole is tearing apart the planet with its gravity well?

Total apocalypse!

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Robtard
Wouldn't all of that all at the same time be scarier? Imagine zombies trying to eat your flesh while angels, demons and ghost waged a global war that leveled cities all at the same time a black hole is tearing apart the planet with its gravity well?

Total apocalypse!

laughing out loud cabin in the woods.

Robtard
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
laughing out loud cabin in the woods.

Ah, I had a feeling that while I typed that it did sound familiar

riv6672
All the viable ways suggested scare me equally for the same reason: lack of control. Getting shot at, i have some control over. I can duck, cover, run, fight back.
Radiation? Disease? Not so much.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.