Heartbreaking and/or shocking moments in Anime

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Nagisa and Ushio's death come to mind, as for shocking, the Rape of Ai was pretty... shudder-worthy.

AsbestosFlaygon
Death of Spike.

Saya's eternal slumber.

NemeBro
The end of Gurren Lagann.

Tzeentch
The American team losing the baseball match in Samurai Champloo.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Tzeentch
The American team losing the baseball match in Samurai Champloo. Why would you even ****ing bring that up?

Goddammit.

AsbestosFlaygon
Lelouch's death.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Nagisa and Ushio's death come to mind, as for shocking, the Rape of Ai was pretty... shudder-worthy.

Eh, I never really thought of Clannad as being as sad as everyone else does. Don't really get it, they're just a bunch of random teenagers with well-animated asses that cry a bunch, and die on occasion.

Originally posted by NemeBro
The end of Gurren Lagann.

lol, you crack me up Nemebro.

The American team losing the baseball match in Samurai Champloo.

Wtf? Is ANYONE on this thread being serious?

Anyway, @ thread, I think the 5 saddest for me were:

5. The death of Lucy in Elfen Lied.

4. When Rika died, even after coming so close to stopping Takano, in Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni Kai.

3. The flashback that revealed what Itachi said to Sasuke before dying in Naruto.

2. Jiraiya's death, and his last thoughts, as well as Naruto's reaction, also in Naruto.

1. And last but not least, when the Bleach anime started sucking after the save Rukia arc.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by SSJGGogeta

1. And last but not least, when the Bleach anime started sucking after the save Rukia arc.
One of the most heartbreaking moments of all time.

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
One of the most heartbreaking moments of all time.

Ikr... crybaby

Quincy
No one's mentioned Nina yet?

SSJGGogeta
Originally posted by Quincy
No one's mentioned Nina yet?

From?

NemeBro

lol, you crack me up Nemebro.

Wtf? Is ANYONE on this thread being serious?
I was being dead serious. no expression

Nia dies despite all Simon did to save her (and the circumstances arguably clash with the tone and themes the series set), Yoko ages badly and is implied to never try romance again because her kiss is a ****ing death sentence, and Simon becomes a hermit who apparently never saw his friends again. It was surreal in its sadness, and actually kind of bothers me.

NemeBro
From? Fullmetal Alchemist probably.

SSJGGogeta
I was being dead serious. no expression

Nia dies despite all Simon did to save her (and the circumstances arguably clash with the tone and themes the series set), Yoko ages badly and is implied to never try romance again because her kiss is a ****ing death sentence, and Simon becomes a hermit who apparently never saw his friends again. It was surreal in its sadness, and actually kind of bothers me.

Oh, lol.

I thought you were just being sarcastic, because you just put, "The end of Gurren lagann", in a spoiler box. It just seemed really ironic, and therefor whimsical to me.

Fullmetal Alchemist probably.

Ah, thanks. Meh, still not as sad as what happened in(to) Bleach.

TheTyrant
Ending of Shin Angyo Onshi.

AsbestosFlaygon
The ending of School Days.

Jmanghan
What about when they killed that dog in Elfen-Lied?

Still brings back horrid memories.

JayDaDon
The ending of School Days.

That ending had me PHUCKED UP for like a week. The ending still makes me tell people DON'T watch School days.

Sacred 117
Why, what happened?

JayDaDon
It follows the harem high school trope until one chick becomes obsessed with the main character and it gets effed up in a hurry by the last episode.

NemeBro
The ending of School Days. Dog that shit was HI-FUKIN-LARIOUS. haermm

JayDaDon
Truth be told it was a long time ago when I saw it. Probably not too shocking anymore especially if one were to watch it prepared for something like that.

Jmanghan
School Days... Really kinda sucks.

The main character is a douchebag. :/

juggerman
When Goku punched Broly's gut open, I cried....

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by juggerman
Such a heartwarming tale.

dadudemon
The saddest moment in Anime is when Roshi did not get to see Bulma's pissing vagina:

TKf8vap_n1c

crycrycrycrycrycrycrycry

Yeah, that really was a gut-wrenching. sad

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by dadudemon

TKf8vap_n1c
My chest is crying.

Zack Fair
This.

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/091/2/b/FMA___Nina_Chimera_by_dazwolf.jpg

And this.

V7vnVAghBs8

Aquitaine
I found myself drawn into a scene in Ghost in the Shell actually.
When Kusanagi is trying to access the tank near the end and her arms tear off.
The flexing in the body, music, emotion and drama in that scene still gives me chills. Is it her determination that blinds her to her limitations? Does she even care? Does she genuinely have a death wish?
First time I saw it I held my breath and let out a 'whoooa' when the arms tore off in the few seconds of slo-mo footage. Dare I say Poetic?

Quincy
Thank you, Zach Fair. For all the feelings

NemeBro
http://global3.memecdn.com/fma-nina-tucker_o_2084451.jpg

Quincy
There it is.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by JayDaDon
It follows the harem high school trope until one chick becomes obsessed with the main character and it gets effed up in a hurry by the last episode. The dude cheated on her with multiple women IIRC.

Jmanghan
watch?v=utzTyZANqfs

Estacado
This.

A better ending would have been Goku getting beaten to death.

socool8520
http://global3.memecdn.com/fma-nina-tucker_o_2084451.jpg

This is probably it for any anime I've seen. Does Grave of the Fireflies count? That made me feel terrible, and I'm an INTP. I'll never watch it again.

cdtm
Deaths of:

Nicholas D. Wolfwood.

Spike Spiegel.

Jonathan Joestar.

And the piece of sentient clothing from an awesome anime I can't remember just now.

NemeBro
Originally posted by cdtm
Deaths of:

Nicholas D. Wolfwood.

Spike Spiegel.

Jonathan Joestar.

And the piece of sentient clothing from an awesome anime I can't remember just now. The one in my sig?

cdtm
Yeah, Kill La Kill.

The end was actually one of the most emotional things in anime, ever. And it's a damned parody show about body snatching clothes.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by JayDaDon
It follows the harem high school trope until one chick becomes obsessed with the main character and it gets effed up in a hurry by the last episode. The main character was literally one of the douchiest man characters I've ever seen.

The dude's obsessed with puss.

DarthSkywalker0
When Edward Elric died in FMA 2003.

Jmanghan
I just remembered an old anime by the name of "Now and Then, Here and There".

It starts off innocent enough, but through-out the whole anime, there's child trafficking, training them into soldiers, abuse, verbal and physical towards women and children.

There's a character that gets raped once and almost gets raped again, the first rapist was a guy she didn't know and was given to for free, she was a virgin btw, she gets pregnant from him and thinks about killing herself for pretty much the rest of the series. The flower petals blowing away as it happens is... eh... ooh baby that hit me... HARD, it sucked, it really friggen sucked.

Everything's just all sorts of ****ed up.

NemeBro
You better shut your mouth kid.

Jmanghan
You better shut your mouth kid. no u.

NemeBro
The American team losing the baseball match in Samurai Champloo. Still probably the best answer in the thread. thumb up

I decided to make a more serious business list. Gonna spoiler what I consider to be late-show spoilers, so something like the hero being cucked by their wife ****ing their dog at the end will be spoilered, but the protagonist stubbing his toe three episodes in won't.

The ending of Cowboy Bebop
Sayaka becoming a witch and Kyoko sacrificing herself to put her down as well as Homura's backstory in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nanachi and her friend going on a long elevator ride in Made in Abyss
The entire ending sequence in Diebuster
Kiritsugu's crushing of Kayneth and Saber final scene in Fate/zero
Miki Makimura and crew's grisly dismemberment in the second to last episode of Devilman: CRYBABY
Shichika's fight with Nanami in Katanagatari

LordofBrooklyn
Cashern Sins

EVERYTHING

The absolute MOST DEPRESSING anime in history!

Jmanghan
Originally posted by DarthSkywalker0
When Edward Elric died in FMA 2003. Yeah that was pretty damn sad.

NewGuy01

Sayaka becoming a witch and Kyoko sacrificing herself to put her down in Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica

Honestly, this scene really epitomizes why I wasn't huge on Madoka Magica. It was a beautiful and compelling scene standalone, but that worked to its disadvantage, because it felt completely unwarranted. It was trying to invoke an emotional response for a relationship with no worthwhile development.

This one was better, but I'd seen that sort of thing many times before, so it also wasn't that hard hitting for me.

thumb up Probably the most powerful moment of the entire series, for me.

Good pick. Although the fact that you didn't pick a certain other scene from that series makes me feel like it failed in its objective.

NemeBro
It has been about five+ years since I last watched Katanagatari. Are you referring to Togame being blown the **** out and revealing that she fully intended to murder Shichika in her dying confession? Or Shichika proceeding to murder dozens of basically innocent people in an effort to commit suicide by cop (which honestly should have been my real pick, but I actually forgot it happened when I wrote up this quick list)? Or something else entirely?

The Kiritsugu scene was great. I still remember my boyfriend's quiet simmering anger as he grew to hate the character during.

As far as Kyoko and Sayaka, I obviously can't agree. I might give the series another watch sometime specifically to analyze their scenes prior, but I felt that the build-up and development of their formerly antagonistic relationship, while never budding into a friendship, was sufficient to show that Kyoko had taken a personal stake into Sayaka's well-being, both trying to bond with her over the shared revelation that they were, essentially, undead monsters, and telling her own backstory to keep Sayaka from making similar mistakes as a magical girl Kyoko has which, obviously, failed.

As far as the second Madoka one, if you'd already seen other scenes like that fair enough but I obviously can not relate lol.

NewGuy01
It has been about five+ years since I last watched Katanagatari. Are you referring to Togame being blown the **** out and revealing that she fully intended to murder Shichika in her dying confession? Or Shichika proceeding to murder dozens of basically innocent people in an effort to commit suicide by cop (which honestly should have been my real pick, but I actually forgot it happened when I wrote up this quick list)? Or something else entirely?

Yeah, the finale in general. As far as a shocking "moment," though, I'd say the first half would fit better.

It's been a long time for me too, so the details are fuzzy, but I vividly remember feeling somewhat awkward during that scene, because I could see what it was trying to do and just wasn't feeling it at all.
There are two reasons for this. One, because the show was really short in general, and there was really no time to get too attached to any of the characters individually before they met their respective tragic ends. Two, while I do think an antagonistic relationship has the potential to work for that kind of scene (enough so that I understand what they were going for), in the case of Sayaka and Kyoko? I mean, they met only a couple of days prior to their deaths, their relationship during that time was mostly toxic, with only one or two civil interactions, and very little in the way of common ground/mutual understanding. I completely agree that Kyoko was just being tsundere, and really did mean well for Sayaka, but she was by no means invested enough in her personally for me to buy that extremely dramatic "sacrifice for my friend." Especially since Sayaka legitimately seemed to hate her.

DarthSkywalker0
I've heard Madoka is vastly overrated @Sas. That true?

NewGuy01
While that will probably be said about any popular work, I do think it is. That's not to say that it was bad; it's a neat twist on a classic genre, and it's very aesthetically pleasing. You'd probably like it. However, to me it felt like it was trying to come off as much more deep than it actually was. I think a lot of the hype surrounding it can be attributed to the shock value from when it first came out, which is something that's lost on new watchers, because no one goes into Madoka blind at this point.

Magia is a goddamn legendary ED track, though. The first time it played after Episode 3 was chilling.

Bentley
Ippo's last fight.

cdtm
End of Ashita No Joe, when he died just before the decision.

Or did he?

cdtm
v=CXYbpnONnzw

There's worse ways to go out, Ippo.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.