Best Open-World Games of ALL TIME.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
GTA Series.

Even as a stand-alone, Sleeping Dogs' storyline and climax was a ****in masterpiece imo.

The original Saints Row games were in a league of their own, and if we're gonna be honest, the Saints Row 3 and 4 were pretty good. SR4 is the only Open-World game besides DCUO where you are basically a superhero (No, the Arkham series doesn't count), not to mention it brings Johnny Gat back, and that new Saints Row game looks BAD-ASS.

Far Cry games... Dear... God.

Just Cause 2...

Smasandian
Either GTA3 (might be 5 but let's see how well it ages) or Skyrim/Fallout.

dadudemon
Open World? None of the ones you listed would show up on my "best" list.

Fallout: New Vegas
Skyrim

I have yet to play GTAV, however. Based on what I see, it may nab the top spot.

Originally posted by Smasandian
Either GTA3 (might be 5 but let's see how well it ages) or Skyrim/Fallout.

http://memecrunch.com/meme/4GCW6/that-s-my-homie-right-thurr/image.jpg

Smasandian
Yeah, I tried Sleeping Dogs and I didn't like it. It had some neat ideas but it tried to be an John Woo version of GTA but without the excellent production values.

Demonic Phoenix
Of the ones I've played, these are the ones I think I liked the most:

Okami (although I'm on the fence if this can qualify as an open-world game.)
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
GTA V
Red Dead Redemption
Assassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood & Assassin's Creed Black Flag/Rogue
Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
Far Cry 4
Shenmue

Since you say the Arkham games are excluded, I did not list any of them. Would Shadow of the Colossus count?

KingD19
True Crime: Streets of LA
True Crime: Streets of New York
GUN
KOTOR/KOTOR II
Jade Empire
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
Mass Effect Series
Witcher 2 & 3

Demonic Phoenix
You've played Witcher 3?

KingD19
Yes...

Let's be serious though. We know CD Projekt RED is gonna knock it out of the park. The gameplay vids alone have me quivering with excitment

Lek Kuen
Even if it looks good you can't be sure. A lot games come out buggy messes nowadays too.

NemeBro
Originally posted by KingD19

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines My nigga...

Probably doesn't count though, sadly.

Morrowind
Skyrim
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption

KingD19
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
Even if it looks good you can't be sure. A lot games come out buggy messes nowadays too.

Inquisition has it's share of bugs. Doesn't really detract from the open world feel though. However I do get what you mean.

KingD19
Originally posted by NemeBro
My nigga...

Morrowind
Skyrim
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption

Totally should count. I spent Dragon Age hours on that game, doing a playthrough for every Clan, etc, etc...

Estacado
My faves are

Skyrim
Fallout 3
Far Cry 4
Gta 5
Dragon's Dogma
Black Flag

Yet have to play the new Dragon Age

Stoic
Originally posted by NemeBro
My nigga...

Morrowind
Skyrim
New Vegas
Dark Souls
Red Dead Redemption

Everything that you said here I agree with but I have to add DA3 Inquisition, and ES Oblivion. You don't remember the feeling you had when you first played Oblivion? I was floored by the game. Oh yea Dragon's Dogma.

ScreamPaste
LoZ, 1986.

Stoic
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
LoZ, 1986.

Legend of Zelda? Yeah that was a great one, I remember playing it while listening to Zeppelin. Arcanum of Steamworks, and Magicka Obscura wasn't really 100% open world, but for a PC title it was awesome. They should redo this game. If handled properly it would put some of the best open world games to shame.

Impediment
Twilight Princess
GTA V
Arkham City
Infamous

One_Angry_Scot
For me personally.

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

S.T.A.L.K.E.R Shadow of Chernobyl

Fallout 3

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

That's a small amount but there is loads I could list.

Stoic
Amalur is a great game. If they could somehow mix that games mechanics with Dragon Dogma's,, and make huge world (10X larger than Dragon's Dogma) it would probably be the best game that anyone has ever played. Well so long as the graphics are up to par, and item discovery was similar to what you get in the Elder Scroll games.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Stoic
Everything that you said here I agree with but I have to add DA3 Inquisition, and ES Oblivion. You don't remember the feeling you had when you first played Oblivion? I was floored by the game. Oh yea Dragon's Dogma. Oblivion didn't seem up to par with Morrowind to me, honestly.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by KingD19
Yes...

Let's be serious though. We know CD Projekt RED is gonna knock it out of the park. The gameplay vids alone have me quivering with excitment

It was a rhetorical question.

Sure, it looks (really) good. But so have a lot of other games that went on to be shitty or bug-laden.

Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

thumb up

I think I'll add Darksiders 2 to my list.

Impediment
Ooh, I forgot about Darksiders II!

Bentley
Shemue shifty

Estacado
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
It was a rhetorical question.

Sure, it looks (really) good. But so have a lot of other games that went on to be shitty or bug-laden.

thumb up

I think I'll add Darksiders 2 to my list. Originally posted by Impediment
Ooh, I forgot about Darksiders II!
thumb up
Definetly one of my fave games!
If they would make a ps4 version with the dlc id buy it!

Smasandian
Shit, I forgot about Red Dead Redemption. That is probably my favourite open world game.

FinalAnswer
Red Dead Redemption and Fallout New Vegas are probably my favourites.

Sometimes I like to dream about what New Vegas would have been like if Obsidian was given more then a year of development time.

KingD19
I feel that was about KOTOR 2. They dropped a shit ton of extra content, missions and extras, and about 5 planets because Obsidian was rushed to finish in time for a holiday release.

Tzeentch
Modern Warfare 2, probably.

Jmanghan
Completely forgot about Shadow of Mordor. You gotta admit that game was pretty damn good.

Borderlands 2 was good.

Erm... 3D Dot Game Heroes, anyone???

Jmanghan
Do you guys think that the Riddick games would count? Dark Athena/Butcher Bay?

ares834
Skyrim.

Jmanghan
Kingdom Hearts??????

KingD19
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Do you guys think that the Riddick games would count? Dark Athena/Butcher Bay?

Psuedo Open World I'd say. The games are pretty big, but you mostly have a clear way to go the whole time within a limited area.

BackFire
Skyrim, for me.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by Bentley
Shemue shifty

That. And as far as any game closest to Shenmue's style, I also want to bring up the Yakuza series (insert Yakuza 5 localization hype here), not so much in terms of the size of the world, but the amount of things there is to do that's almost comparable to a GTA title. Between no fewer than a dozen or so mini-games, several times that many subplots, a surprisingly fun beat-em-style combat system and the game's ever expanding scale (Yakuza 5 is said to be the biggest game yet), I was hooked since day 1.

Xenoblade Chronicles. The reveal of the Gaur Plains alone at the two or so hour mark was enough to show that it was only the beginning. I never go back to that game without a quick trek through that area. Needless to say, the follow-up, Xenoblade X seems to be taking it to the next level what with the mechs and if the supposed 5x larger world is to be believed.

Kingdoms of Amalur is definitely worth a mention if it counts. Crying shame what happened to the property.

Dragon's Dogma's actual world was modest in terms of scale, but was fairly sizable and varied in its own right, and played well on the non-linearity aspect. The main draw was mostly in its action and customization, like Amalur.

And I can't give a tin shilling on how polarizing Assassin's Creed 3 is, the Frontier was the most rich, dense, and visually appealing land area in an Assassin's Creed game I've ever played. Sure, the Caribbean sea was in a league of its own as far as seafaring areas go, but ACIV had more than its own fair share of too many flaws that leaves it bordering on overrated.

But besides that, yeah, on its own merits as an open world, Black Flag is still in a league of its own as far as Seafaring worlds go.

Jmanghan
That FFXII game for the DS was pretty Open, and I remember loving it to pieces when I had it.

Digi
For its time, I still say the best ES game was Daggerfall. Obviously it got passed by the others, but when it came out, nothing has replicated the feeling of awe I got from its sprawling, nigh-infinite world and open gameplay.

Tzeentch
Seeing Digi's post reminds me.

Spiderman 2 thumb up

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine

And I can't give a tin shilling on how polarizing Assassin's Creed 3 is, the Frontier was the most rich, dense, and visually appealing land area in an Assassin's Creed game I've ever played. Sure, the Caribbean sea was in a league of its own as far as seafaring areas go, but ACIV had more than its own fair share of too many flaws that leaves it bordering on overrated.

thumb up @ the Frontier.
Have you played Rogue yet? If so, what did you think of the River Valley?

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Seeing Digi's post reminds me.

Spiderman 2 thumb up This. I've beaten this game over 50 times. I used to start a new game and do 3 hour speedruns. Doc Ock is still one of the best video game bosses I've ever encountered.

Skyrim is also one of my tops. for obvious reasons.

Jmanghan
I loved roaming around the Kingdom and creating my own adventure in the original assassins creed

Stoic
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I loved roaming around the Kingdom and creating my own adventure in the original assassins creed

Oh yeah I forgot all about that one. I remember playing it, and thinking that the team responsible for that game should have made a Batman game. good choice.

Estacado
Dark Souls 2 for One and Ps4?
Yes please.
v6OvKFwIza8

Jmanghan
Final Fantasy XV is gonna be open-world...

...It looks sick...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.