The death of Eric Garner

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Idiot police.

He did not deserve this.

Evb7YIpAtJo

Star428
Yeah, I agree. The police were definitely at fault (unlike the Brown case) in this particular incident. Can't believe he wasn't indicted for the choking death of that man.

Time Immemorial
The reason he was not is that is what was trained to the cops. Although I don't know why, anyways man slaughter charges should have at least been filed.

BlackZero30x
I just watched the videos this morning. Poor guy. He was a big dude and I wont lie if it were me I would have fallen backwards as soon as the cop put me in the choke hold. Probably would have been in trouble for "assault" then though. Anyways I feel bad for him. I also heard the guy who video taped it is being brought up on charges.

Oneness
This is me when dealing with the police:

oPjL7p0wIpM

Quincy
This situation is utterly depressing

AsbestosFlaygon
The guy had a severe case of asthma. It caused complications hence he died quite easily when he got locked in that chokehold.

dadudemon
I haven't said anything but I personally think the cop (former?) should be serving prison time for manslaughter.

Stoic
What about Akai Gurley who did nothing to anyone, and was gunned down for no reason whatsoever? The cop that shot him, decided to first call his union rep to find out what he should have done instead of calling an ambulance, to possibly save the mans life. This was a man that had children, and was a law abiding citizen. The Police have to get it together, because it doesn't take much for this type of behavior to backlash, and spiral out of control. Gurley was shot simply because he was black, and the cop was nervous because he was in a tough neighborhood. Not acceptable at all.

Nephthys
I heard that even if the officer wasn't indicted, the guy who filmed the incident was. Which seems pretty messed up.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Nephthys
I heard that even if the officer wasn't indicted, the guy who filmed the incident was. Which seems pretty messed up.

That was an inappropriate spin that some big news site put out there. The truth was he was indicted on an unrelated charge: illegal possession of a firearm, iirc.

He was definitely not indicted for filming someone (the officer/officers) without their consent. I actually thought the same thing as you did until someone busted that myth on reddit when the news article was posted.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/nypd-officer-fatally-choked-eric-garner-wasnt-indicted-183500298.html

"On the same day one grand jury decided not to indict officer Daniel Pantaleo in the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who was killed after being put in a chokehold last July, a different jury did indict 22-year-old Ramsey Orta, the man who captured Garner's death on camera.

Orta was charged with weapon possession after being arrested on Aug. 2, less than one month after taping Garner's confrontation with police. "

I think any news site that has a press license should get a massive fine for titles like in the yahoo article. "NYPD Officer Who Fatally Choked Eric Garner Wasn't Indicted, Man Who Filmed the Incident Was." That f*cking title leads any reader to believe that he was indicted for filming. Perhaps they should do user acceptance testing with their titles to determine what is responsible press practices and what is irresponsible or flat-out misleading?

Robtard
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The guy had a severe case of asthma. It caused complications hence he died quite easily when he got locked in that chokehold.

That doesn't do away with the fact that said chokehold is illegal for an officer to use due to how dangerous it is

Nephthys
I thought the coroners report said that Garner died from compressions of the neck and chest, not any complications from his asthma?

Originally posted by dadudemon
That was an inappropriate spin that some big news site put out there. The truth was he was indicted on an unrelated charge: illegal possession of a firearm, iirc.

He was definitely not indicted for filming someone (the officer/officers) without their consent. I actually thought the same thing as you did until someone busted that myth on reddit when the news article was posted.

https://celebrity.yahoo.com/news/nypd-officer-fatally-choked-eric-garner-wasnt-indicted-183500298.html

"On the same day one grand jury decided not to indict officer Daniel Pantaleo in the death of Eric Garner, an unarmed black man who was killed after being put in a chokehold last July, a different jury did indict 22-year-old Ramsey Orta, the man who captured Garner's death on camera.

Orta was charged with weapon possession after being arrested on Aug. 2, less than one month after taping Garner's confrontation with police. "

I think any news site that has a press license should get a massive fine for titles like in the yahoo article. "NYPD Officer Who Fatally Choked Eric Garner Wasn't Indicted, Man Who Filmed the Incident Was." That f*cking title leads any reader to believe that he was indicted for filming. Perhaps they should do user acceptance testing with their titles to determine what is responsible press practices and what is irresponsible or flat-out misleading?

The guy's alleging that he was brought up on trumped up charges as payback for the filming.

Star428
Cops are claiming that since he was able to yell repeatedly "I can't breathe!" that it means he could breathe. That might be true but wasn't that chokehold the cop used illegal, regardless? I still can't believe that case at least didn't go to trial.

Based
Stewart even didn't try to make this funny. Well spoken though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwkZzoGeOc

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Quincy
This situation is utterly depressing

It is, also to note the reason for the arrest was because the man was selling illegal cigaretts singles on the street without a license, that type of force was not necessary, I don't care how it wants to be spun.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
It is, also to note the reason for the arrest was because the man was selling illegal cigaretts singles on the street without a license, that type of force was not necessary, I don't care how it wants to be spun.

Even if he was selling MJ, I don't think he should have gotten in trouble. This anti-drug culture in America's law enforcement needs to go.

Until you remove the financial incentive from police, they will continue to act like thugs with anyone dealing in drugs (including cigs, apparently).

Time Immemorial
It wasn't even MJ though, it was just singles. Its complete horeshit what they did.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Star428
Cops are claiming that since he was able to yell repeatedly "I can't breathe!" that it means he could breathe. That might be true but wasn't that chokehold the cop used illegal, regardless? I still can't believe that case at least didn't go to trial.

Its not true. I had really bad asthma as a kid and with a certain amount of compression it can flair up causing you to intake less and less oxygen. I had to go to the hospital for this very reason. They hooked me up to a machine because my oxygen had fallen below 10%

vansonbee

P-Geyser
What was even more infuriating, is that after he was stone dead, the cops were talking to him and asking questions. This was extra footage after the incedent in which I am sure everybody saw. Garners eyes were just staring like a dead fish. A-holes.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by P-Geyser
What was even more infuriating, is that after he was stone dead, the cops were talking to him and asking questions. This was extra footage after the incedent in which I am sure everybody saw. Garners eyes were just staring like a dead fish. A-holes.

vT66U_Ftdng

Its a bunch of bs.

Lek Kuen

P-Geyser
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
vT66U_Ftdng

Its a bunch of bs.

Yep. Did the jury not see this? Well the cop walks... what else is new.

vansonbee
Originally posted by Lek Kuen
So he pushed ciggs for some bigger criminal group (so no evidence of him actually shaking people down in the listed arrests). Doesn't change that he wasn't doing anything violent (when they arrested him) and was killed for it. I agree with you there, the cops should of handled it in a better way.

Dude111
No he didnt... The police are out of control in this country!!

dadudemon
Originally posted by Dude111
No he didnt... The police are out of control in this country!!

Off topic but I don't believe I've seen you around. From one dude to another, welcome to KMC. Have fun. big grin

AsbestosFlaygon
The issue is gaining traction lately.

Derrick Rose (a popular basketball player) wore a "I Can't Breathe" t-shirt during the pregame warmup against GS Warriors.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5483bacb/turbine/ct-derrick-rose-eric-garner-bulls-spt-1207-201-001/500/500x281

Astner
Moral of the story: don't resist arrest.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.