New lightsaber . . . opinions?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
I'm gonna keep an open mind on the new design. Don't want to hate until I see it's combat capabilities.

NewGuy01
Idc.

Fated Xtasy
I think it looks fine, it's unique and well who the hell cares about the lightsaber? We haven't even seen it in action yet.

ILS
I don't really care and I have a feeling that the person wielding this saber is going to be a secondary or minor character opposed to the main antagonist.

Darth Abonis
I'm sure he knows how to use it. Its just an awkward design.

NemeBro
The only thing awkward about it is that the purpose of the crossguard is negated by the fact that in a lock, were the blades to slide, it would go through the saber emitter instead of being blocked by a saber.

Nephthys
Stephen Colbert argued against that design flaw.

The Merchant
I think it's dumb, sorry.

chilled monkey
I know I should try to keep an open mind but honestly, I hate it!

1) It proves that this movie is just going to be a commercial and was made first and foremost to get merchandising deals. That thing was clearly designed to sell toys.

2) From a purely aesthetic sense it's ugly as heck.

3) It's ridiculously impractical. It's like having an arming sword where the quillons are a pair of knife blades. One solid hit will slam those down onto the wielder's hand and his own weapon will injure him.

peluffo
unless he have a robotic arm made of cortosis... Anything goes!

Nephthys
Originally posted by chilled monkey
I know I should try to keep an open mind but honestly, I hate it!

1) It proves that this movie is just going to be a commercial and was made first and foremost to get merchandising deals. That thing was clearly designed to sell toys.

2) From a purely aesthetic sense it's ugly as heck.

3) It's ridiculously impractical. It's like having an arming sword where the quillons are a pair of knife blades. One solid hit will slam those down onto the wielder's hand and his own weapon will injure him.

I've actually seen stuff indicating the hilt thing existed in the EU before now.

ILS
Originally posted by Nephthys
I've actually seen stuff indicating the hilt thing existed in the EU before now. http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100423040717/starwars/images/b/be/Forked_Lightsaber.JPG

chilled monkey
Originally posted by ILS
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100423040717/starwars/images/b/be/Forked_Lightsaber.JPG

Originally posted by Nephthys
I've actually seen stuff indicating the hilt thing existed in the EU before now.

Yes and it was every bit as stupid and ugly there (if not more so). No wonder it was never seen again.

psmith81992
Sorry but when your lightsaber looks like excalibur, it's time to move on.

Trocity
At least that one only has a tiny little emitter and it's just blocking his fingers at the front (yeah, it's still bad...). The new one is just dumb though imo.

WildBantha88
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Yes and it was every bit as stupid and ugly there (if not more so). No wonder it was never seen again. I get the feeling you like to complain

Revanchiste
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=605135&pagenumber=8

Lizten my reaction !!!

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Idc.

Nephthys
QlyCq_cd-FA

DARTH POWER
laughing out loud

Colbert's class.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by WildBantha88
I get the feeling you like to complain

No, I just like to state my opinions. That is the point of this thread after all.

Zampanó
I feel like the KotOR II-concept-art canon confirmed emitter lens designs suggest that Colbert's explanation falls flat. No number of additional focusing crystals would cause a beam to extend perpendicular from an optical lens.

https://bryanbumgardner.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/super-computer-nerd-300x227.jpeg

Arhael
https://img.pandawhale.com/post-54276-star-wars-lightsaber-escalatio-iCOT.gif

Revanchiste
XDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDXDX
DXDXD

KingD19
This design is far from the most outlandish. People just like to complain.

There have been Lightwhips that can make multiple "blades", Lightsaber Tonfa, Y-Sabers which have a blade coming out of the hilt at an angle, etc, etc...

Q99
It's really not too outlandish. However, it doesn't seem to serve much combat function and does seem like it'd require keeping a lot more care for safety.

WildBantha88
As does a double bladed lightsaber.

Also I heard that it is just a split beam, so if someone were to slide their blade down into what we all assumed to be the hilts of two mini lightsabers, sure they would cut through the metal but then they would hit lightsaber. So its all being emitted from the hilt that he holds and then split into two cross sections, meaning the sword would serve its purpose under combat

Q99
As does a double bladed lightsaber.

Oh, not remotely. Since you only have to keep track of one line, it's not that difficult.

I once, for fun, took a pair of hilts, closed my eyes, and tried out what sword and staff attacks I could manage assuming both were double-bladed. I had a pretty wide variety I could do without getting near either blade. And of course, with just one doing so was trivial.

(Context: I have martial arts training include staff, polearm, sword, and double-sword)

A crossguard means since you have blades in three directions, one is often going to be pointed more at you. In *most* situations it isn't a big issue, but it does add some danger factor in some positions, especially if your blade is back near you. The problem isn't so much when you're on the offense, but if your blade is shoved back or pushed to the side or such by an enemy attack.

And, those're pretty long for crossguards, at that.

Revanchiste

WildBantha88
Originally posted by Q99
Oh, not remotely. Since you only have to keep track of one line, it's not that difficult.

I once, for fun, took a pair of hilts, closed my eyes, and tried out what sword and staff attacks I could manage assuming both were double-bladed. I had a pretty wide variety I could do without getting near either blade. And of course, with just one doing so was trivial.

(Context: I have martial arts training include staff, polearm, sword, and double-sword)

A crossguard means since you have blades in three directions, one is often going to be pointed more at you. In *most* situations it isn't a big issue, but it does add some danger factor in some positions, especially if your blade is back near you. The problem isn't so much when you're on the offense, but if your blade is shoved back or pushed to the side or such by an enemy attack.

And, those're pretty long for crossguards, at that. as I said at least they serve their purpose. Also I would imagine they could be used in very limited situations to snag the enemy blade, and as for the potential defensive weakness, the potential defensive bonus kind of evens the scale.

Remember these are highly trained martial artists, better than you are (no offense) it will probably take someone who already is more skilled than the sith in question to take advantage of his weapons minor weakness.

To me I just think that its all an issue of if the fans like the design or not because its strengths somewhat balance out the weakness. But according to the reactions, the fans don't like it :/

|King Joker|
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Idc. Basically my opinion on the new saber, honestly. ^

Q99

Remember these are highly trained martial artists, better than you are (no offense) it will probably take someone who already is more skilled than the sith in question to take advantage of his weapons minor weakness.

Oh, no doubt they're better than me. Still, I can judge weapons pretty well.

Really, I'd be worried about someone of roughly the *same* skill and equal strength. That's where it's likely to come into play. An inferior foe, it doesn't matter, nor a greatly superior one, but if it trips you up during a close fight that's bad.

Revanchiste
as I said at least they serve their purpose. Also I would imagine they could be used in very limited situations to snag the enemy blade, and as for the potential defensive weakness, the potential defensive bonus kind of evens the scale.

To me I just think that its all an issue of if the fans like the design or not because its strengths somewhat balance out the weakness. But according to the reactions, the fans don't like it :/

Exept than mozt of the great mazter know than phrik/cortoziz vibroblade are more effectiv, the only one which I've zeen with thiz light zaber were a noob wich zurvice at the order 66 becauze he waz juzt a farmer.. Yhea remember Jedi apprentice... Noob are zent to help farmer with the force to help plant growing.

Ninja where good at dezigning unothodox weapon and creat fighting ztyle around it.
The only zpecial moove with thiz weapon uze to hurt the foe in queztion with the blade of the crozz guard were completly ridiculouz.... Thiz waz taking the uzelezz rizk to be zplit in two....

"
Remember these are highly trained martial artists, better than you are (no offense) it will probably take someone who already is more skilled than the sith in question to take advantage of his weapons minor weakness."

The problem with thiz weapon iz than the advantagez are juzt quazi null, and the weaknezz are pretty high....

Emperordmb
I don't really have an issue with the new lightsaber. I'm curious to see what they do with it.

Revanchiste
Change the crozz guard dezign firzt.

Revanchiste
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=J3MozbQj8tM#t=267

Allellulia !!!!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.