Unique abilities...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheLordofMurder
From Low Street on up to High Herald, who has the best unique ability in comics?

By unique ability, I mean a power that no other named character from Low Street to High Herald in comics has...

For example, and this is my nomination, Dracula's Bite...

This attack is essentially a one shot kill against most characters from Low Street to High Herald...

He can use this attack to amp up...

He can also use it to create very powerful minions (pending the strength of his victims of course) that he can command to create yet again more minions for himself in a potentially endless cycle...

Yes, there are other vampires out there with this ability, but Dracula is currently the only named vampire that really matters right now, and no other character from Low Street to High Herald has an ability quite like it...

What are some other unique powers out there from Low Street to High Herald; does anyone have one better than Dracula's Bite?

riv6672
Spider-man Spider Sense.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by riv6672
Spider-man Spider Sense.

Thats a very good one... thumb up

How does it rate compared to Dracs Bite though?

Its definitely different, so they are difficult to directly compare, but which one is better in your opinion?

DarkSaint85
Jack Hawksmoor.

Not only is it super powerful, it also has limits (and thus, makes for an interesting IMHO character).

Plus, its just such a modern update of the usual super strength/ speed/ flight skills.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Jack Hawksmoor.

Not only is it super powerful, it also has limits (and thus, makes for an interesting IMHO character).

Plus, its just such a modern update of the usual super strength/ speed/ flight skills.

Not familiar with that character...mind giving me a run down of what his unique ability is?

DarkSaint85
Other characters:

Fantomex. The ultimate passive power.
Deadman. Another good passive power.

Ultimately, I guess I'm not a brawler at heart.

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Not familiar with that character...mind giving me a run down of what his unique ability is?

Sure. He's the God of the Cities. Uniquely bred to survive in urban environments.

He can breathe and digest pollution.
Alter the gravity in cities, or command buildings to heal themselves after a super powered brawl.
Can see what windows have seen (so a useful detective).
Has increased agility and speed, plus can stick to walls etc.
Massively amped strength.
Can heal from broken spines etc
Control gas mains, electrical pylons etc.
Can alter the configuration of cities (when he was chasing a speedster, the city told him where he was and he told the city to create blind alleys etc)
He can also teleport between cities.

The levels of these powers depend on the size of the city. Drop him in NYC or Tokyo, and he'd be more powerful than if he was in Poughkeepsie.

Oh, and he got all these powers from time travellers who kept abducting him when he was a kid and experimenting on him, to prepare him to be the ultimate superweapon against a sentient Kansas City from the future. He beat it by turning Tokyo into a giant mech suit, wore it, and beat it.

DarkSaint85
But like I said, he has limits.

Put him in the jungle or desert, and he'd seize up and is pretty useless lol. But is a great character for comics, as they focus on cities etc.

Mindship
Superman's X-ray vision. Yep, believe it or not (and I could be wrong, but offhand I don't think so), the Icon has a unique ability that has not been copied (except, maybe, by a clone?). There are characters who can "sense" things behind walls perhaps psionically, and there are characters with all sorts of energy visions are other forms of higher awareness.

But simple, straightforward X-ray vision: I believe this is Superman's and Superman's alone. As for its utility: let the history of the character attest to that.

krisblaze
^Gladiator has it too

riv6672
Hitman has x-ray vision.

@LoM
Cant really compare the bite to spider sense, at least i cant. I'd rather have SS though, personally.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Sure. He's the God of the Cities. Uniquely bred to survive in urban environments.

He can breathe and digest pollution.
Alter the gravity in cities, or command buildings to heal themselves after a super powered brawl.
Can see what windows have seen (so a useful detective).
Has increased agility and speed, plus can stick to walls etc.
Massively amped strength.
Can heal from broken spines etc
Control gas mains, electrical pylons etc.
Can alter the configuration of cities (when he was chasing a speedster, the city told him where he was and he told the city to create blind alleys etc)
He can also teleport between cities.

The levels of these powers depend on the size of the city. Drop him in NYC or Tokyo, and he'd be more powerful than if he was in Poughkeepsie.

Oh, and he got all these powers from time travellers who kept abducting him when he was a kid and experimenting on him, to prepare him to be the ultimate superweapon against a sentient Kansas City from the future. He beat it by turning Tokyo into a giant mech suit, wore it, and beat it.

Wow...I gotta admit, that is a pretty sweet power set! thumb up

That is a very unique combo of abilities...

Someone very creative thought that character up...

TheLordofMurder
Hitman has x-ray vision.

@LoM
Cant really compare the bite to spider sense, at least i cant. I'd rather have SS though, personally.

I can understand why; SS is a really useful power and it really has no downside to it...

To have Dracs Bite, you have to be a cursed undead monster with numerous weaknesses...with Spidey Sense, you can just be yourself.

riv6672
Thanks for understanding my reluctance to compare.

Would you consider Plastic Man to fit your criteria? He isnt like any other pliable hero. The others are, well, rubber. As plastic, he can shape shift in ways they cant, even creating moving parts and such.

Q99
Fred Perry's Gold Digger has some good ones.

There's a ninja with a sword that can be extended to reach orbit.

Brianna, a gunwielder who's magic powers provide unlimited ammo and curved shots.

Gaeo, a living spell (who can switch between physical and non-physical magic forms) can create a column of 'baleful teleport' extending from her mouths that disruptively exchanges everything for a mile in front of her (i.e. if you're caught partway in, only those parts get teleported... and any parts caught all the way in won't be happy anyway).

Array/Summoner, a being that can create new specialized copies of herself (i.e. need an archeologist? Create one mentally optimized for the task. A fighter? Likewise. 2 different mages specialized in different schools? Also doable! And all hive-mind linked).

Spider-man Spider Sense.

Though a lot of spider characters copied it off of him. How many does Spider-verse have? smile

riv6672
Didnt really think about it, but if pressed i'd either say, "oh well", or, "i think it counts, as its part of a unique power set that just the Spidey characters have."

Q99
Oh, the Flash villain, the Turtle!

Can slow everyone around him.

Heck, Flash seems a good source of these: Mirror Master. Most of his mirror tricks are unique to him as far as I know.

Thanks for understanding my reluctance to compare.

Would you consider Plastic Man to fit your criteria? He isnt like any other pliable hero. The others are, well, rubber. As plastic, he can shape shift in ways they cant, even creating moving parts and such.

Impossible Man can do the same.

DarkSaint85
Bwahaha forgot about the Turtle.

Oh, the Spot!

riv6672
Originally posted by Q99
Oh, the Flash villain, the Turtle!

Can slow everyone around him.

Heck, Flash seems a good source of these: Mirror Master. Most of his mirror tricks are unique to him as far as I know.

Impossible Man can do the same.
He's not s pliable hero, though.
If you're just going to shoot down my suggestions i'll give you an easy one.
The Ten Eyed Man.

burrrrrr
How about the Aquarian from marvel

zopzop
Originally posted by burrrrrr
How about the Aquarian from marvel
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

His Null Field is the most unique power a character has in any major comic company (DC, Marvel, etc..).

This thing has shut down the Quantum Bands and Nth Man (who went on to destroy 7 or 8 universes).

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by zopzop
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner.

His Null Field is the most unique power a character has in any major comic company (DC, Marvel, etc..).

This thing has shut down the Quantum Bands and Nth Man (who went on to destroy 7 or 8 universes).

Yeah this is probaly the best (or rather most powerful) of the unique abilities for characters High Herald and under...

Granted it was in a What If, but he also shut down Magneto as well as the power of several other heroes and villians in that issue where Set and his minions had overrun Marvel Earth...

maxivitopowe
Arm fall off boy/matter eater lad

Stoic
Bruce Banner has the ability to absorb large amounts radiation without dying. For a normal human that's kind of unique if you ask me.

krisblaze
^Even ignoring all those with energy absorption and Havok.

There is also the mutant Gazer, who's only power is to be immune to radiation/he can live off it.

pym-ftw
Pym's mass shifting. He isn't shrinking/growing like other characters with similar powers he is actually phasing his mass into another dimension.

Stoic
Originally posted by krisblaze
^Even ignoring all those with energy absorption and Havok.

There is also the mutant Gazer, who's only power is to be immune to radiation/he can live off it.

Yeah but he's a normal human being, or at least he was before the accident. Anyone else would have gotten cancer and died long ago. I've wonder if Banner is a mutant or something other than a baseline human.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Stoic
Yeah but he's a normal human being, or at least he was before the accident. Anyone else would have gotten cancer and died long ago. I've wonder if Banner is a mutant or something other than a baseline human.

He's superhuman, obviously :P

He is the Hulk.

thingy150
Originally posted by Stoic

Why would banner be a mutant? He was never originally intended to be so he is not and should not be. It is fiction, it does not have to make sense.

Stoic
He's superhuman, obviously :P

He is the Hulk.

Yeah I know that, but I meant before he ever became the Hulk, and more recently when Banner was separated from the Hulk again, and he was subjected to lethal doses of radiation. When I say recent, I'm talk about right after the Heart of the Monster arc, when Doom performs surgery on the Hulk. Something has to be up with that.

Originally posted by thingy150
Why would banner be a mutant? He was never originally intended to be so he is not and should not be. It is fiction, it does not have to make sense.

Even fiction has it's limitations. everything has to be explained or people tend to complain. Look at Captain Mar-Vell for example. He was a very popular hero for his time, and Marvel turned around and killed him off to explain how he escaped unscathed from his exposure to a carcinogenic gas. You're correct, he has never been labeled a mutant, but he has abilities that no other Hulk had up until Rulk. He can see phantoms for one, he has the ability to travel to his destination without any instrumentation while under ground. Not sure if it's because he is a Hulk that he can do this, but that doesn't explain why the other Hulk's can't unless they can, and I missed that. he is also the only Hulk that gets stronger from being overly excited. Maybe it's just a mutation though.

thingy150
It is fiction stoic, it does not abide by our rules and what we can and cannot do. Why would he be a mutant stoic, you are trying to interject on a characters history and change him because you do not understand fiction. He is not a mutant(as in x men mutant) he has a mutation but he is not a mutant.

thingy150
You saying it does not make sense and trying to solve this nonexistent puzzle just makes you look dumb. It does not have to make sense, it is fiction.

cdtm
The Quiz, from Brotherhood of dada:

Has any ability you're not thinking of.

Also, Matter Eater Lad?

How many other characters have the power to eat anything?

krisblaze
^Anyone from the brotherhood of dada.

Hell, any character morrison has ever created...

Like Flex Mentallo

Mindship
^Gladiator has it too He's one of those I'd consider a Superman clone.

Hitman has x-ray vision. Never even heard of this guy. I'll be damned. A hitman with x-ray vision. I would imagine he'd make good use of it.

krisblaze
Originally posted by Mindship
He's one of those I'd consider a Superman clone.

Never even heard of this guy. I'll be damned. A hitman with x-ray vision. I would imagine he'd make good use of it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitman_(DC_Comics)

One of the best comics Ennis ever wrote.

There's also the vision from Dynamo 5

maxivitopowe
I thought marvel explained that all their "created supers" i.e. not born with powers, always had the potential, like an unrealised x gene or they're descended from the Inhumans or aliens

thingy150
Originally posted by maxivitopowe
I thought marvel explained that all their "created supers" i.e. not born with powers, always had the potential, like an unrealised x gene or they're descended from the Inhumans or aliens

That does not prove anything lol....

We saw how hulk got his powers and there is no proof for stoics claims that he might be a mutant. Hulk was never intended to be a mutant, hell he was created before marvel made the mutant race. Stoic is getting all serious acting like his idea is profound and makes total sense when in actuality its just some guy spouting things with no proof. Having potential to carry the x gene means nothing. Having potential is not proof of him being a mutant.

Digi
Relax, no one cares too much about this thread, and there's no reason to make this thread about Hulk.

Max is onto something, though. Sort of an amorphous "meta potential" to certain people, though not necessarily an X-gene like traditional mutants. I've seen it explained before, though there's no chance I'll remember an issue. Iirc, it had to do with the initial Celestial tampering with the human race.

krisblaze
This is a bit off.

A lot of humans have a dormant x-gene, but not an unrealised one.

The "unrealised potential" in humans is a bit more abstract.

Juggernaut is an example of someone with an unactivated x-gene in him, and separate super-powers.

thingy150
Originally posted by Digi
Relax, no one cares too much about this thread, and there's no reason to make this thread about Hulk.

Max is onto something, though. Sort of an amorphous "meta potential" to certain people, though not necessarily an X-gene like traditional mutants. I've seen it explained before, though there's no chance I'll remember an issue. Iirc, it had to do with the initial Celestial tampering with the human race.

Stoic made this about hulk and max's point was elementary. Mutants are due to evolution from what i have seen.

"At the beginning of the Kree-Skrull War, millions of years ago in Earth time, the alien Kree established a station on the planet Uranus, a strategic position between the Kree and Skrull empires. Through their work at this station, they discovered that sentient life on nearby Earth had genetic potential invested in it by the alien Celestials. Intrigued, the Kree began to experiment on Earth's then-primitive Homo sapiens to produce the genetically advanced Inhuman race. " - wiki

maybe you are thinking of inhumans.

maxivitopowe
This is a bit off.

Juggernaut is an example of someone with an unactivated x-gene in him, and separate super-powers.

Yeah I meant dormant not unrealised

Like there are a bunch of non mutants whose power set has come from radiation and its mutagenic affects

marwash22
Tag, from New Mutants.

HulkIsHulk
This is a bit off.

huh Juggernaut?

krisblaze
Ugly John
Cypher
Max Damage
Any of these guys

Yeah I meant dormant not unrealised

Like there are a bunch of non mutants whose power set has come from radiation and its mutagenic affects
Then I agree smile

abhilegend
Ultra boy.

Ambient
Technarchy Warlock - transmode virus; the ability to infect then absorbs (works on herald level characters).

maxivitopowe
Vision?

Sin I AM
I like Darwin's powerset personally

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.