Aquaman(2018)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut74
Well there isn't a thread dedicated to the Aquaman film to be released in 2018 with Jason Mamoa as the title character so here it is.

juggernaut74
Mamoa talks about the role a little:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/34984/momoa-talks-aquaman-in-brazil

BruceSkywalker
i'll pass, however if he gets me to change my mind after seeing him in action prior to his solo film then i will see

Firefly218
I hope momoa knocks it out of the park

Golgo13
Can't wait to see the lineup on this one. The director/writer, etc...

pym-ftw
Is mamoa going to bleach his hair?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by pym-ftw
Is mamoa going to bleach his hair?

Hope they do him a makeover. But I doubt it.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Hope they do him a makeover. But I doubt it.

i hope he has taken acting classes... embarrasment ...either that or they'll have his voice electronically altered embarrasment eek!

Shey Tapani
I am intrigued.

Golgo13
So, according to the emails that were hacked, Jeff Nichols is the possible director for Aquaman. Interesting choice.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57780

Firefly218
Originally posted by Golgo13
So, according to the emails that were hacked, Jeff Nichols is the possible director for Aquaman. Interesting choice.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57780
He could do a good job. I haven't seen any of his work though, so I'm not that sure.

I would've personally gone for someone with a proven track record, like Paul Greengrass.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Firefly218
He could do a good job. I haven't seen any of his work though, so I'm not that sure.

I would've personally gone for someone with a proven track record, like Paul Greengrass.

He's one of the better young directors under 40. Watch Mud with Matthew McConaughey. One of the better films that year. Take Shelter was just as good, too.

I doubt he'll do it, because he already has turned down a blockbuster to do small movies.

BruceSkywalker
not sure i believe the hacked emails... will try to watch some of this dudes work though but that isn't a high priority at the moment

pym-ftw
I'd like to give this a shot but BvS has to be amazing imo or else WB should wrap it up

Golgo13
It has to be good and from the looks of it, it will be. MOS weakness was from the script and they just hired an Oscar worthy screen writer. It doesn't have to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just good.

pym-ftw
Imo BvS has to be amazing in order to sell the Suicide squad.

It's not a DC thing, if Avengers 2 is boring Antman is screwed though it has some wiggle room based on the track record.

Golgo13
I'm sure it will be a hit. A lot of people liked MOS (Showed in the DVD/Blue Ray sales) and SS has Joker which will be a guaranteed hit. And Will Smith who does well overseas (even his stinkers do well overseas). I'm predicting big money for SS.

pym-ftw
I'm sure it will draw money, but I'm worried about staying power and the forced schedule. I mean I KNOW they could change it, but it will certainly look bad if they can't get through phase 1 without hiccups.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by pym-ftw
I'm sure it will draw money, but I'm worried about staying power and the forced schedule. I mean I KNOW they could change it, but it will certainly look bad if they can't get through phase 1 without hiccups.

Well every studio including Marvel has hiccups. TIH underperformed in their Phase I.

But yeah Marvel's given us the Best and Quintessential track record for comic book heroes. They have 2 Billion dollar franchises and another 2 potential Billion dollar franchises. They've honestly changed cinema becoming the biggest brand name for movies.

So it's not like DC have to match their record to succeed. That's kinda an impossible target right now anyway. It's like Pepsi. They don't have to Beat Coke (this was their original mission statement) to be a big ass success themselves.

Golgo13
Well every studio including Marvel has hiccups. TIH underperformed in their Phase I.

But yeah Marvel's given us the Best and Quintessential track record for comic book heroes. They have 2 Billion dollar franchises and another 2 potential Billion dollar franchises. They've honestly changed cinema becoming the biggest brand name for movies.

So it's not like DC have to match their record to succeed. That's kinda an impossible target right now anyway. It's like Pepsi. They don't have to Beat Coke (this was their original mission statement) to be a big ass success themselves.

DC's on track to break that record. MOS made more money than most of Marvel Studios, including the first 2 Iron Man's. Suicide Squad will definitely make more than Incredible Hulk, and Batman V Superman will do more than MOS.

Then we have WW, Aquaman, the future Batman movies, Superman movies, etc...

DARTH POWER
DC's on track to break that record.

That's a pretty bold claim. They should bring it, not sing it.

Doesn't help we have to wait another 2 years before we can properly discuss what they've brought us.

MOS made more money than most of Marvel Studios, including the first 2 Iron Man's.

Not really comparable tbh. MOS saved DC's biggest icon. The Iron Man movies made a B-List character into an Icon.

Plus they've just taken sooo long since MOS to give us the next movie in the DCU. Compared with Marvel who had like 4-5 different big franchises in that time.

Golgo13
That's a pretty bold claim. They should bring it, not sing it.

Doesn't help we have to wait another 2 years before we can properly discuss what they've brought us.

Not really comparable tbh. MOS saved DC's biggest icon. The Iron Man movies made a B-List character into an Icon.

Plus they've just taken sooo long since MOS to give us the next movie in the DCU. Compared with Marvel who had like 4-5 different big franchises in that time.

It's just a feeling I have. WB is finally taking things seriously. Marvel's first 10 films made mucho dinero. I can see dcs doing the same.

BruceSkywalker
It's just a feeling I have. WB is finally taking things seriously. Marvel's first 10 films made mucho dinero. I can see dcs doing the same.

Feelings aren't facts... lmao

Golgo13
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Feelings aren't facts... lmao

No shit, Sherlock. However, they are on pace and SS should make bank.

BruceSkywalker
No shit, Sherlock. However, they are on pace and SS should make bank.

on pace to do what??? they aren't on pace to do anything except open up in several years.. Now if you have any actual facts share them with us in here

Golgo13
Read above, please. smile

WhiteWitchKing
Man of Steel isn't a billion dollar franchise yet. It will be. JL will be. Suicide Squad? Probably not. The name itself doesn't exactly comfort parents to bring their kids. Wait, so far they only have Man of Steel. None of the others have come out yet so there's nothing to track. What if all the first movies will hit Green Lantern or Hulk sales and flop?

Golgo13
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
Man of Steel isn't a billion dollar franchise yet. It will be. JL will be. Suicide Squad? Probably not. The name itself doesn't exactly comfort parents to bring their kids. Wait, so far they only have Man of Steel. None of the others have come out yet so there's nothing to track. What if all the first movies will hit Green Lantern or Hulk sales and flop?

Tbh, I don't think superman can reach 1b. Close, but not quite. You don't need to be kid friendly to gross a lot of money. Nolans joker wasn't exactly kid friendly.

the other films can flop, but it looks like WB is getting top talent to direct these films, so that helps.

DARTH POWER

the other films can flop, but it looks like WB is getting top talent to direct these films, so that helps.

WB are going all out, I'll give them that.

But saying they're on track to beat Marvel's record is seriously jumping the gun at this point. BvS sure has the potential to do IM3 or Avengers type numbers though. But potential is one thing and the end result is what matters.

As for the rest, remember with huge stars comes an even huger budget. And with unknown properties and no Brand name(as of yet) comes a hell of a lot of marketing. SS will probably have to make like $500Mill WW just to break even.

Golgo13
WB are going all out, I'll give them that.

But saying they're on track to beat Marvel's record is seriously jumping the gun at this point. BvS sure has the potential to do IM3 or Avengers type numbers though. But potential is one thing and the end result is what matters.

As for the rest, remember with huge stars comes an even huger budget. And with unknown properties and no Brand name(as of yet) comes a hell of a lot of marketing. SS will probably have to make like $500Mill WW just to break even.

I'm not comparing these 2 studios or anything. Just their first 10 movies. Marvel released the numbers for their first 10 films. I think DC can beat that number. Like I said earlier, MOS made more money than most of those 10 films. Batman V Superman will make even more.

Suicide Squad will do good numbers, WW has the potential to do Thor numbers or even better, and JLA could do Avengers numbers or close. When it's all said and done, WBs first 10 COULD surpass marvels. I'm not saying that's a guarantee, just that it has the potential and with the way things are turning out, pretty likely.

Golgo13
Remember, you don't always need to do a billion to beat that number. Hulk, Thor, Cap, Guardians, and the first 2 Iron Man movies didn't do a billion.

DARTH POWER
Oh BvS can defo do IM3/Avengers type numbers.

Firefly218
There's absolutely no doubt BvS will make crap loads of money. To keep that momentum going, the movie has to be good quality.

DARTH POWER
There's absolutely no doubt BvS will make crap loads of money. To keep that momentum going, the movie has to be good quality.

Yeah exactly. And if WB is serious about a Marvel level brand name for it's DC Products then BvS needs to be more than just "good." It needs to be "f***ing Awesome!"

Golgo13
Yeah exactly. And if WB is serious about a Marvel level brand name for it's DC Products then BvS needs to be more than just "good." It needs to be "f***ing Awesome!"

That's all subjective, though. The majority of the people probably liked MOS. You get a lot of love on the internet and you get a lot of hate, but the general audience probably loved it. Seeing as it scored pretty high in the DVD/Blue Ray sales.

I think it's the same with the Transformers movies. A lot of critics and internet hated it, but the general audience likes those movies pretty well. So far, it's the only movie this year that did a billion dollars.

DARTH POWER
That's all subjective, though. The majority of the people probably liked MOS. You get a lot of love on the internet and you get a lot of hate, but the general audience probably loved it. Seeing as it scored pretty high in the DVD/Blue Ray sales.

I think it's the same with the Transformers movies. A lot of critics and internet hated it, but the general audience likes those movies pretty well. So far, it's the only movie this year that did a billion dollars.

Hey I liked MOS. But that's not really got much to do with how big the DCU brand name will be.

Thing with Transformers is the first one was so good, every time there's a new one people want to watch it in hopes that the new one will catch the magic of the first one again. But the sequels keep disappointing. Either that or people just can't get enough of giant robots bashing each other Lol.

It's the same with the Iron Man movies IMO.

BruceSkywalker
Hey I liked MOS. But that's not really got much to do with how big the DCU brand name will be.

Thing with Transformers is the first one was so good, every time there's a new one people want to watch it in hopes that the new one will catch the magic of the first one again. But the sequels keep disappointing. Either that or people just can't get enough of giant robots bashing each other Lol.

It's the same with the Iron Man movies IMO.

so...in other words you want Michael Bay to direct one of the movies stick out tongue

Golgo13
Jeff Nichols is still front runner and Karl Urban as a rumored part in the movie.

http://www.movieweb.com/aquaman-movie-cast-director-karl-urban-noam-murro

WhiteWitchKing
Jeff Nichols is still front runner and Karl Urban as a rumored part in the movie.

http://www.movieweb.com/aquaman-movie-cast-director-karl-urban-noam-murro

lol. They want Karl Urban as a supporting actor to Momoa? Karl Urban as Aquaman would be far and above better for fans and the movie.

BruceSkywalker
lol. They want Karl Urban as a supporting actor to Momoa? Karl Urban as Aquaman would be far and above better for fans and the movie.

Urban is most likely Ocean Master

roughrider
Based on the evidence of 300: Rise Of An Empire, if they want to hire Noam Murro it's pretty much a lock the movie will be flashy yet suck.

Jeff Nichols, from the indie world with films like Take Shelter, would at least be interesting.

-Pr-
Karl Urban is awesome in pretty much anything he's in. The problem therein, is that we could end up with a movie where the villain ends up being more interesting than the hero, as he's a far more charismatic and competent actor than Momoa, imo.

Firefly218
Aquaman won't be blonde

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/37017/20150128/batman-v-superman-cast-momoa-aquaman-role-blonde.htm

BruceSkywalker
Aquaman won't be blonde

http://www.designntrend.com/articles/37017/20150128/batman-v-superman-cast-momoa-aquaman-role-blonde.htm

thats not a surprise

-Pr-
Aquaman won't be blonde

lol, no shit.

Firefly218
Ay, there was still the possibility that he'd be a blonde you ****

-Pr-
I don't see how. He would have looked ridiculous, and it would fly in the face of the whole "Pacific islander" thing.

Firefly218
Jason Momoa with Blonde hair isn't too far fetched, he is a white guy after all.

Now though it's pretty much confirmed they're going more exoticy with aquaman.

-Pr-
I wouldn't call him white, but that's splitting hairs tbh (pun unintended).

I honestly believed his casting from the start was an indicator that they weren't going for the classic Aquaman "look".

Inhuman
Originally posted by -Pr-
I don't see how. He would have looked ridiculous, and it would fly in the face of the whole "Pacific islander" thing.

Has it been said anywhere they are going for a pacific islander look? Must of missed that.

Femi32
Here's an excerpt from Jason Momoa's interview:

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=114524

Sounds like he's more excited to play a non-caucasian Atlantean more than actually playing Aquaman who happens to not be caucasian.

WhiteWitchKing
This movie better have a good story because the lead actor isn't going to be carrying it. Momoa is just a snore.

BruceSkywalker
This movie better have a good story because the lead actor isn't going to be carrying it. Momoa is just a snore.

karl urban will be in the whole fun laughing out loud

Golgo13
Urban might be in suicide squad. Diversity is good though.

Tzeentch
Urbaaaan!

Kazenji
Urban might be in suicide squad. Diversity is good though.

Then the movie will bombed.

roughrider
Aquaman won't be blonde

Well, WTF? Aquaman being blonde is very significant in the character's history.

Sounds like the Namor-ising of the character continues on... stick out tongue

-Pr-
All jokes aside, Aquaman being blonde was actually a massive part of his post-crisis origin. Atlantean curses and all.

Kazenji
Jason Momoa as Aquaman

http://www.superherohype.com/news/330833-zack-snyder-reveals-jason-momoa-as-aquaman

-Pr-
Just PLEASE don't make him Arthur Curry.

ares834
That's badass.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Kazenji
Jason Momoa as Aquaman

http://www.superherohype.com/news/330833-zack-snyder-reveals-jason-momoa-as-aquaman

it's okay, i will judge though when watching hm in action next march

Just PLEASE don't make him Arthur Curry.

who else could he be??? stick out tongue

-Pr-
He can be Aquaman without being Arthur Curry, they've done it before.

If they do that, I won't mind it as much.

StiltmanFTW
I hope he punches Superman in BvS.

Clark will be unconscious for 2+ hours, making it a pure Batman movie. Win.

Inhuman
^^^^

thumb up

BruceSkywalker
He can be Aquaman without being Arthur Curry, they've done it before.

If they do that, I won't mind it as much.

so..he is the aquaman you want him to be, but not the one we need right now?? big grin

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
I hope he punches Superman in BvS.

Clark will be unconscious for 2+ hours, making it a pure Batman movie. Win.

what if Batman punches out Clark first? stick out tongue

Inhuman

That would be acceptable as well.

also concerning the pic...

Originally posted by Inhuman
Well didn't we (I did) all speculate they were going to give Aquaman the usual dc/wb grim/dark makeover?
So this image should come as no surprise.

Golgo13
Looks bad ass. I hope there is more color to it.

-Pr-
If you mess with the saturation you can see green and yellow a bit more.

so..he is the aquaman you want him to be, but not the one we need right now?? big grin

the aquaman I wanted would have easily worked. sad

|King Joker|
Aquaman looks sexy. Mmm.

Kazenji
Seems like the new thing to complain about on the internet is Aquaman not being blonde.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Kazenji
Seems like the new thing to complain about on the internet is Aquaman not being blonde.

Then they're being retarded. Being blonde is a symptom, not the actual problem with changing so much about the character.

JayDaDon
Looks to me like they atleast put like blonde streaks as sort of a shout out that he's supposed to be blonde lol

Golgo13
JLA in color. This is what it might look like.

http://fr.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=wh0k0k&s=8#.VOkWAnzF_Tp

WhiteWitchKing
lol @ the tattoos. Why? Oh Aquadrogo!

Golgo13
Hans Zimmer doing the score for Aquaman? Please yes!

o234elA-qQU#t=24

Inhuman
lol @ the tattoos. Why? Oh Aquadrogo!

Because Aquaman is now "dark" and rude" and looks like rob zombie and tattoos = badass"

Golgo13
Aquaman will have more color to him. And he does look bad ass. thumb up

Henry_Pym
He looks like someone at fox designed him.

Golgo13
I think Wilkinson designed him. He's very good at what he does.

Someone at Fox. lol.

Kazenji
If it was from FOX then it wouldn't resemble anything.

Kazenji
James Wan being sought to direct this movie

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/furious-7-director-james-wan-being-sought-to-direct-jason-momoa-in-aquaman-308

Golgo13
James Wan reportedly a lock for Aquaman.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=119879

Kazenji
This guy is trying to be the next Del Toro, He's also in talks to do the Robotech movie.

Golgo13
James Wan officially on Aquaman!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/james-wan-officially-on-board-to-direct-both-aquaman-and-robotech

juggernaut74
That's good news I guess. The dude just directed a 1.5 billion dollar film.

Inhuman
Well , WB/DC better hope for a popular actor that stars in this to die in the middle of filming so it can hope to get even close to matching 1.5 bil.

DARTH POWER
^ I sense a hollywood conspiracy.

Ledger's passing made the first Billion dollar superhero film possible.

Walker's passing made a rapidly growing (but still well under the Billion mark) franchise into the 4th biggest movie of all time.

BruceSkywalker
Aquaman has now officially been made watchable.. I like James Wan.. he should be able to get that non actor to act

Femi32
Aquaman has now officially been made watchable.. I like James Wan.. he should be able to get that non actor to act

Who would you have picked for Arthur Curry?

Golgo13
James Wan was also attached to SHAZAM. I wonder who will direct SHAZAM now. `

Inhuman
James Wan was also attached to SHAZAM. I wonder who will direct SHAZAM now. `

Dwayne Johnson will direct and star in Shazam

DARTH POWER
And he will start as both BA and Shazam.

Firefly218
And he will start as both BA and Shazam.
And the love interest

|King Joker|
Who's the dude playing Aquaman, again? He can act or nah?

Inhuman
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Who's the dude playing Aquaman, again? He can act or nah?

Well, Hes good at grunting and putting on a mean face. So as long as he has very little dialog he should be ok.

Femi32
Well, Hes good at grunting and putting on a mean face. So as long as he has very little dialog he should be ok.

That wouldn't make the movie okay with me. Henry's lack of dialogue is part of why Man of Steel fell flat. I need the character to make the movie. There's a reason why Christopher Reeve is still seen as the quintessential Superman.

Inhuman
Originally posted by Femi32
That wouldn't make the movie okay with me. Henry's lack of dialogue is part of why Man of Steel fell flat. I need the character to make the movie. There's a reason why Christopher Reeve is still seen as the quintessential Superman.

thumb up

Golgo13
Jason has a lot of charisma and screen presence. Not on the level of Arnold, but it's going to help. He's not a bad actor, either.

Firefly218
Jason has a lot of charisma and screen presence. Not on the level of Arnold, but it's going to help. He's not a bad actor, either.

thumb up

Jason Momoa is a very capable actor. Just because y'all don't think he's a good fit doesn't mean you should attack him personally.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Femi32
Who would you have picked for Arthur Curry?

no idea.

Dwayne Johnson will direct and star in Shazam

i thought they were gonna just rename the film Black Adam big grin

thumb up

Jason Momoa is a very capable actor. Just because y'all don't think he's a good fit doesn't mean you should attack him personally.

lol its not like you know him personally or he comes on here hahaha

in what film or tv show hhave you seen that says he can act???

he'll say surface dweller as his only line all throughout BVS and then his own film laughing laughing

Firefly218
Although the Conan remake was trashy, Momoa acted well enough to make it at least watchable.
IMO, Momoa did much more than grunt in GoT. His facial expressions and behavior in GoT exudes power and raw emotion. Momoa could do as well for aquaman as Hemsworth has done for the Thor movies.

Golgo13
Although the Conan remake was trashy, Momoa acted well enough to make it at least watchable.
IMO, Momoa did much more than grunt in GoT. His facial expressions and behavior in GoT exudes power and raw emotion. Momoa could do as well for aquaman as Hemsworth has done for the Thor movies.

thumb up

BruceSkywalker

at least hemsworth can act though unlike momoa

Golgo13
Hemsworth is OK, not great, IMO. He certainly has that charisma factor, which helps him.

The man certainly isn't a box office draw on his own, though.

StiltmanFTW
They'll need to build some cinemas underwater, because only fish would like to see an Aquaman movie biscuits

https://38.media.tumblr.com/b12df29774696073bbec76d141e611fa/tumblr_n4eehdFYHb1s2wio8o1_500.gif

Golgo13
Stop with the stupid Aquaman hate, Stilt. It's getting old.

StiltmanFTW
Now I know the location of DC's Public Relations Headquarters.

Underwater.

Golgo13
WB just hired a big name director and treating this as a big time movie in their DCCU. Stop crying, Stilt. stick out tongue

StiltmanFTW
I wish the movie well stick out tongue

Just one more gif.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss277/shotter24929/1337220227972289_animate_zpsfc7b32da.gif

Golgo13
I wish the movie well stick out tongue

Just one more gif.

http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss277/shotter24929/1337220227972289_animate_zpsfc7b32da.gif

I know deep down you don't. wink

-Pr-
Ugh, tfw you kind of agree with Stilt...

BruceSkywalker
They'll need to build some cinemas underwater, because only fish would like to see an Aquaman movie biscuits

https://38.media.tumblr.com/b12df29774696073bbec76d141e611fa/tumblr_n4eehdFYHb1s2wio8o1_500.gif

they'll most likely use a huge tank at the studio

Henry_Pym
Hemsworth is OK, not great, IMO. He certainly has that charisma factor, which helps him.

The man certainly isn't a box office draw on his own, though. He was great in Rush.

He is the lead in the new Ron Howard movie, in the heart of the Sea, I bet it will do solid buissnes

DARTH POWER

The man certainly isn't a box office draw on his own, though.

Again you're missing the simple fact that Marvel's success transforms it's actors into stars. While DC is depending on already established stars to sell their films.

Kazenji
At least Hemsworth was in a movie that was nominated, One up on Momoa.

DARTH POWER
^ He's just a much better actor than Momoa IMO.

Kazenji
Surprised Golgo hasn't jumped on his bandwagon since Hemsworth is in the upcoming movie 'In the Heart of the Sea' which is a WB's movie.

Golgo13
Again you're missing the simple fact that Marvel's success transforms it's actors into stars. While DC is depending on already established stars to sell their films.

Not really. Downey and Scarlet were already stars. Downy in the 80's. Everyone else like Hemsworth, Rener, Ruffalo, etc... are well known because of Avengers, but aren't A listers or big box office draws.

Henry Cavill wasn't a big star. Christian Bale wasn't a big star. And MOST of the cast of JLA aren't big stars.

Both companies have hired big stars, so it's nothing really new.

BruceSkywalker
so... anyone have any ideas how Bruce Wayne/Batman appears in this????

StiltmanFTW
so... anyone have any ideas how Bruce Wayne/Batman appears in this????

UNDERWATER!

haw-som

Henry_Pym
Not really. Downey and Scarlet were already stars. Downy in the 80's. Everyone else like Hemsworth, Rener, Ruffalo, etc... are well known because of Avengers, but aren't A listers or big box office draws.

Henry Cavill wasn't a big star. Christian Bale wasn't a big star. And MOST of the cast of JLA aren't big stars.

Both companies have hired big stars, so it's nothing really new. Renner is A list lol. The Town, Mission Impossible & American Hustle.

StiltmanFTW
Golgo even mispelled his name. What a DC junkie, everything non-DC is like nuclear physics to him.

wink

Anyway, would like to see more GoT actors in movies in the future. Momoa might do fine, who knows.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Renner is A list lol. The Town, Mission Impossible & American Hustle.

Not the general definition of A list, which we discussed a while back. He isn't a box office draw, which A listers typically are.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
He was great in Rush.

He is the lead in the new Ron Howard movie, in the heart of the Sea, I bet it will do solid buissnes

in the heart of the sea might be surrounded with oscar talk

UNDERWATER!

haw-som

well that will work, afterall bruce can swim for long periods of time smile

Golgo13
Interesting article on both Johnny Depp and Jeremy Renner who are not the typical definition of a star.

http://filmschoolrejects.com/features/jeremy-renner-action-franchises.php

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/01/26/johnny-depp-was-never-a-movie-star/

DARTH POWER
Not really. Downey and Scarlet were already stars. Downy in the 80's.

Not true at all.

Downey was a joke that nobody wanted when IM1 was made.

Scarlet was never the lead in any Marvel franchise.

Everyone else like Hemsworth, Rener, Ruffalo, etc... are well known because of Avengers, but aren't A listers or big box office draws.

Exactly. Marvel's doesn't need A-Listers to draw box office. They cast according to who best suits the role.

Both companies have hired big stars, so it's nothing really new.

Again that's not really true. Marvel hasn't put an A-Lister into their lead roles yet. (I'd say Paul Rudd and Benedict Cumberbatch are the closest they've come to that, and that's like right at the end of Phase 2, and well into Phase 3).

Whilst WB casts Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, Ben Affleck as Batman, Will Smith as Deadshot and a well known Game of Thrones star as Aquaman..

It's pretty clear which company is trying to sell tickets with Star Power, and which lesser known actors have really benefited from a Star Brand name.

Golgo13
Not true at all.

Downey was a joke that nobody wanted when IM1 was made.

Scarlet was never the lead in any Marvel franchise.

Exactly. Marvel's doesn't need A-Listers to draw box office. They cast according to who best suits the role.

Again that's not really true. Marvel hasn't put an A-Lister into their lead roles yet. (I'd say Paul Rudd and Benedict Cumberbatch are the closest they've come to that, and that's like right at the end of Phase 2, and well into Phase 3).

Whilst WB casts Ryan Reynolds as Green Lantern, Ben Affleck as Batman, Will Smith as Deadshot and a well known Game of Thrones star as Aquaman..

It's pretty clear which company is trying to sell tickets with Star Power, and which lesser known actors have really benefited from a Star Brand name.

Ryan Reynolds a list? Nah. He's never been in a bug blockbuster. Same with Jason Momoa. Downey was more well known than both of those. The only A listers WB has hired so far that has a proven box office record is Will Smith. And currently the Rock. Everyone else is a relative unknown.

Downey may have been a joke because of the drugs, but he was never a joke in terms of being an A list talent. He is more talented than all his teammates combined.

-Pr-
Jason Momoa is star power now? Come on...

BruceSkywalker

I am still half asleep.. Who has said this????

Golgo13
I know, right laughing out loud

What next Ezra Miller and the guy who plays Cyborg too? Oh, and Gal Gadot?

Jason Mamoa is well known because of GOT, but he's not even close to an A lister.

-Pr-
To be fair, he was good in Stargate Atlantis, but that's as niche a show as you can find. He was in how many episodes of GoT?

As far as Downey goes, his career was on the upturn when he was cast. He'd shed his demons, and was getting acting jobs, some of which ended up being critically acclaimed. I think that him once being A-list gave him an advantage, and made him a more well known name that it really doesn't make a difference.

Golgo13
Oh, and cumberbatch, Paul Rudd, and Edward Norton Jr are easily more well known than Gadot, Ezra Miller, and the guy playing Cyborg. Not even close

Golgo13
To be fair, he was good in Stargate Atlantis, but that's as niche a show as you can find. He was in how many episodes of GoT?

As far as Downey goes, his career was on the upturn when he was cast. He'd shed his demons, and was getting acting jobs, some of which ended up being critically acclaimed. I think that him once being A-list gave him an advantage, and made him a more well known name that it really doesn't make a difference.

I think Darth is talking A list in terms of box office draw. If that's the case, Downey has never been a big box office draw and his last movie that was not Iron Man flopped hard.

StiltmanFTW
He was in how many episodes of GoT?

Season 1 + the Quarth scene.

DARTH POWER
Oh, and cumberbatch, Paul Rudd, and Edward Norton Jr are easily more well known than Gadot, Ezra Miller, and the guy playing Cyborg. Not even close

I already brought up Rudd and Cumberbatch myself. Saying that's now end of Phase 2, they're going for some bigger stars.

Affleck, Reynolds and Will Smith. They're 3 big to huge stars. Marvel's not had 3 leads that big up to now.

IM restarted Downey's career.

They replaced Norton with Ruffalo.

Ok, I was pushing it with that one Lol. But my overall point stands. Marvel has generally not relied Star Power to sell their movies.

Golgo13
I already brought up Rudd and Cumberbatch myself. Saying that's now end of Phase 2, they're going for some bigger stars.

Affleck, Reynolds and Will Smith. They're 3 big to huge stars. Marvel's not had 3 leads that big up to now.

IM restarted Downey's career.

They replaced Norton with Ruffalo.

Ok, I was pushing it with that one Lol. But my overall point stands. Marvel has generally not relied Star Power to sell their movies.

Affleck and Reynolds has NEVER been huge stars. Are they stars, sure, but not A listers and the NUMBERS don't lie. When has Affeck or Reynods made a big blockbuster on their OWN?

WB on AVERAGE aren't relying on big names to lead their movies. Only a few and the few isn't the majority.

DARTH POWER
Affleck and Reynolds has NEVER been huge stars. Are they stars, sure, but not A listers and the NUMBERS don't lie. When has Affeck or Reynods made a big blockbuster on their OWN?

Come on man.. They're both really really famous. And Affleck's always been paid A LOT of his acting roles.

Oh and Terrance Howard was paid like the same as Downey in IM1. So that shows Downey's status as an actor at the time, compared to what it is now.

Also we're probably just arguing semantics about what an A-Lister is. Point is though Affleck and Reynolds are certainly much much bigger stars than the likes of Hemsworth and Evans were (and still are). Let's not even go there with Will Smith.

Golgo13
Come on man.. They're both really really famous. And Affleck's always been paid A LOT of his acting roles.

Oh and Terrance Howard was paid like the same as Downey in IM1. So that shows Downey's status as an actor at the time, compared to what it is now.

Also we're probably just arguing semantics about what an A-Lister is. Point is though Affleck and Reynolds are certainly much much bigger stars than the likes of Hemsworth and Evans were (and still are). Let's not even go there with Will Smith.

Really famous does not equal box office draw. Edward Norton is really famous, but he's not a box office draw. Johhny Depp is REALLY famous and he's not a box office draw, Robert Downey Jr. is famous, but not a box office draw. See where this is going?

Marvel doesn't "Create" movie stars and that is evident in the box office. Hemsworth movies don't make shit and neither does RDJR. Just LOOK at the numbers.

DARTH POWER
Oh and I completely forgot The Rock!

Come on man!

Just Will Smith and The Rock are Massive box office draws. Affleck and Reynolds are "stars" at the very least and do sell.

The MCU never needed to go their with those kind of names.

ares834

So were Downey and Norton. So what's you're point?

Golgo13
Oh and I completely forgot The Rock!

Come on man!

Just Will Smith and The Rock are Massive box office draws. Affleck and Reynolds are "stars" at the very least and do sell.

The MCU never needed to go their with those kind of names.

I guess you're not reading my posts, because I've already said the Rock. The Rock is a draw, but only recently became a truly box office star.

On average WB are hiring relative unknowns for their movies.

And it's only smart business wise to hire a draw, because at the end of the day it's mostly always about money.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ares834
So were Downey and Norton. So what's you're point?

If you read my posts, my point is pretty clear.

No they weren't. Norton's always had more of a cult classic following for things like Fight Club. Downey was a nobody when Marvel hired him. He had a certain level of range going back to the days of Chaplin, but wasn't well known at all by younger audiences. He hadn't had a big career in years.

WB are hiring big named actors to lead their Dc properties. Marvel didn't do that. They just found the guy who best suited the role.

ares834
Except you're completely wrong. Norman and Downey were every bit as big as Affleck and Reynolds.

Golgo13
If you look at the NUMBERS and stop ignoring them, Edward Norton's BO average is actually higher than Ryan Reynolds, but lower than Affleck. HOWEVER, Affleck was in 2 Michael Bay films, which increased his total. Take those 2 away and Edward Norton is on the same level.

Robert Downey's average is above both of them. Even before Iron Man.

Golgo13
After reviewing a lot of lists from various sites, it gets kinda confusing and each list is different, but from all the lists I have seen, neither Affleck or Ryan Reynolds crack top 100 highest grossing actors.

It's usually Emma Watson, Tom Hanks, and Samuel L. Jackson at the top.

Even Will Smith doesn't crack the top 10, but usually top 20 or so. The Rock isn't anywhere near the top, either, but will probably get there one day.

-Pr-
While I think WB definitely does look for big stars for their roles more than Disney does, they are playing catchup, whether that's a good idea or not. I do think calling RDJ a nobody is a gross exaggeration. While not a box office draw, he was still well-known, and as I said before, his star was climbing.

Iron Man just gave him a massive boost, was all.

Golgo13
While I think WB definitely does look for big stars for their roles more than Disney does, they are playing catchup, whether that's a good idea or not. I do think calling RDJ a nobody is a gross exaggeration. While not a box office draw, he was still well-known, and as I said before, his star was climbing.

Iron Man just gave him a massive boost, was all.

I never said he was a nobody. He was well known for be a brat pack in the 80s. However, he's not a huge box office star as side from Iron Man.

Huge box office stars are rare.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ares834
Except you're completely wrong. Norman and Downey were every bit as big as Affleck and Reynolds.

I Guess they were as big as Will Smith and The Rock too right?

Not to mention Norton was replaced after 1 film. Marvel generally doesn't like negotiating with big stars. They don't need to.

Robert Downey is by Far their biggest named lead. And even his name wasn't anywhere near as big Pre-IM.

ares834
And they aren't playing any of the big Justice league members..

Seriously, you're whole point is so laughably overblown it's rather hilarious.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>