The future of the Spider-Man movie franchise

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
Will Sony and Marvel come to a deal to let Spidey be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe AND with character control for a 60/40 split in Sony's favor?

http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvel-wants-a-fresh-start-with-spider-man-without-andrew-garfield

What say you fgts?

Personally, I REALLY want this to happen. Rumors are abound of Spidey, maybe, having a cameo in Captain America: Civil War.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Will Sony and Marvel come to a deal to let Spidey be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe AND with character control for a 60/40 split in Sony's favor?

http://www.latino-review.com/news/marvel-wants-a-fresh-start-with-spider-man-without-andrew-garfield

What say you fgts?

Personally, I REALLY want this to happen. Rumors are abound of Spidey, maybe, having a cameo in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

you mean Captain America: Civil War stick out tongue

I think they will get a deal done.. Not sure you will play Spidey though

ares834
Likely won't happen. The leaked emails showed the talks breaking down and Sony deciding to not go through with it. We'll see of it changes, but I have my doubts.

Shey Tapani
I like the Spiderverse as it's own thing. Also how come they are all in NY and don't know eachother.

wakkawakkawakka
I would agree with it if they would keep AG on.

DARTH POWER

Personally, I REALLY want this to happen.

thumb up

BlackZero30x
yeah I would like it to happen. Spidy could be in other marvel films then after a good while he could have his own film. I think it would work.

Patient_Leech
I've been reading some stuff about this. There was some rumoring of Sam Raimi taking back over to some capacity (be it producer or whatever). I would personally love to see him direct again, because i think he needs to redeem himself for Spider-man 3. That was just a bad way to bow out, though not entirely his fault apparently because he was pressured by the studio. Hopefully that made the studio realize that they shouldn't butt in. The first 2 films were fantastic.

DARTH POWER
Personally I blame Sony for Spider-Man 3 and for TASM2.

Ramai didn't want Venom in S3, Sony made him stuff Venom in there. The result was you could tell Venom was in there for the sake of it, and Ramai's main villain (Sandman) had to be fit in around Venom.

Same with TASM2. It was obviously Sony making Webb fit in all these different villains just to set up Sinister 6. I actually loved what Webb did with TASM1.

Sony could use Marvel's touch collaborating with them for the Spidey films. And whether Sony sorts the Spider-Man movies out our not, either way I want Marvel to be able to use their own version of Spider-Man for the MCU.

Firefly218
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Personally I blame Sony for Spider-Man 3 and for TASM2.

Ramai didn't want Venom in S3, Sony made him stuff Venom in there. The result was you could tell Venom was in there for the sake of it, and Ramai's main villain (Sandman) had to be fit in around Venom.

Same with TASM2. It was obviously Sony making Webb fit in all these different villains just to set up Sinister 6. I actually loved what Webb did with TASM1.

Sony could use Marvel's touch collaborating with them for the Spidey films. And whether Sony sorts the Spider-Man movies out our not, either way I want Marvel to be able to use their own version of Spider-Man for the MCU.
thumb up

The first tasm was definitely a good movie, not great but good.

steverules_2
Spider-man 2 is the best spider-man film to date

WhiteWitchKing

What say you fgts?

Personally, I REALLY want this to happen. Rumors are abound of Spidey, maybe, having a cameo in Captain America: Civil War.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/12/if-marvel-gets-spider-man-it-wont-be-the-andrew-garfield-kind

Marvel doesn't even want Garfield; they want a fresh start. I think they should creative control. Lets put it this way, Marvel should not work with Sony at all. Let Sony kill Spidey by their own hands.

Firefly218
Disney should just f ucking buy Sony, honestly. Buy the whole damn company, then fire the idiot execs who were screwing Spiderman.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/12/if-marvel-gets-spider-man-it-wont-be-the-andrew-garfield-kind

Marvel doesn't even want Garfield; they want a fresh start. I think they should creative control. Lets put it this way, Marvel should not work with Sony at all. Let Sony kill Spidey by their own hands.

Problem is Spider-Man's still such a huge and popular name its going to take a long time for Sony to actually kill the franchise.

I mean even TASM2 grossed $700mill+ WW, just a few million short of CA2. So imagine if they make a good Spidey film next time round (they're certainly going to give it 200% effort), then the franchise will never die and it will probably take 20-30 years to get it back to Marvel.

So personally I don't mind Sony having creative control over the solo movies as long as Marvel can use their own version however they like within the MCU.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by steverules_2
Spider-man 2 is the best spider-man film to date

Really? How?

steverules_2
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Really? How?

How is it not? Great villain in Doc Ock and played perfectly. Train fight was by far the greatest comic book fight I've seen on the big screen. Spider-Man losing his powers and finding that even though he tries to live a normal life that he can't stop being a hero. I actually liked the bit where he tries to call MJ but his time runs out and he says what he wishes he'd said. You can disagree if you want. erm

Time Immemorial
How is it not? Great villain in Doc Ock and played perfectly. Train fight was by far the greatest comic book fight I've seen on the big screen. Spider-Man losing his powers and finding that even though he tries to live a normal life that he can't stop being a hero. I actually liked the bit where he tries to call MJ but his time runs out and he says what he wishes he'd said. You can disagree if you want. erm

Well when you put it like that. It makes me remember it better. Yes or was def one of the best. I liked the the first reboot as well.

DARTH POWER
Yes or was def one of the best. I liked the the first reboot as well.

thumb up

steverules_2
Well when you put it like that. It makes me remember it better. Yes or was def one of the best. I liked the the first reboot as well.

The first reboot? Hasn't there only been one reboot? The films we have now with Andrew Garfield

Time Immemorial
The first reboot? Hasn't there only been one reboot? The films we have now with Andrew Garfield

The first film of the reboot.

Robtard
Originally posted by Firefly218
Disney should just f ucking buy Sony, honestly. Buy the whole damn company, then fire the idiot execs who were screwing Spiderman.

thumb up

steverules_2
I'd fire the guy who suggested 'hey lets give the spider-man rights to Sony! Whats the worse than could happen?'

DARTH POWER
I'd fire the guy who suggested 'hey lets give the spider-man rights to Sony! Whats the worse than could happen?'

It's Sad that ever happened. But they were desperate for money at the time, and not the money making machine they are today.

Arachnid1
I'd fire the guy who suggested 'hey lets give the spider-man rights to Sony! Whats the worse than could happen?' I wouldn't say that. I'd say Spiderman 1 and 2 had a huge hand in making super heroes as big as they are today. Without that and X-men to give the genre a much needed boost, Marvel might not have had the chance to try Iron Man and go up from there.

Still, wish Marvel could do Spidey.

WhiteWitchKing
Problem is Spider-Man's still such a huge and popular name its going to take a long time for Sony to actually kill the franchise.

I mean even TASM2 grossed $700mill+ WW, just a few million short of CA2. So imagine if they make a good Spidey film next time round (they're certainly going to give it 200% effort), then the franchise will never die and it will probably take 20-30 years to get it back to Marvel.

So personally I don't mind Sony having creative control over the solo movies as long as Marvel can use their own version however they like within the MCU.

Yes, but how much was marketing cost of Winter Soldier vs ASM 2 $180 million marketing budget? Plus, Cap 2 nearly doubles what Cap 1 made. ASM 2 is following a downward trend in box office sales. We'll see how this goes because Sinister Six better have a good storyline or else it might just cost the studio more money. Really, the SS are only interesting if they can tell a good story, and I highly doubt that Sony can pull it off. It takes a studio like Marvel, who knows and cares about their characters, to put in the right people and story to pull off something like GOTG. And while the GOTG is a B list team, they have plenty of fans compared to the SS. Marvel even relaunch their books to increase awareness of the team. Sony doesn't have way to promote SS except through straight marketing that will cost them $$$. This is difficult for a company who's Spiderman movies have been sporadic in quality. SM 1 was average, SM 2 was great, SM 3 was garbage, ASM 1 great, and ASM 2 was garbage. There was also that snooze Hulk movie. SS might just bomb and harm the Spiderman brand even further. Would Sony be willing to risk more money after that? I will say no. If SS bombs, Disney is swooping in a buying up Spiderman and taking full control.

DARTH POWER
Yes, but how much was marketing cost of Winter Soldier vs ASM 2 $180 million marketing budget? Plus, Cap 2 nearly doubles what Cap 1 made. ASM 2 is following a downward trend in box office sales. We'll see how this goes because Sinister Six better have a good storyline or else it might just cost the studio more money. Really, the SS are only interesting if they can tell a good story, and I highly doubt that Sony can pull it off. It takes a studio like Marvel, who knows and cares about their characters, to put in the right people and story to pull off something like GOTG. And while the GOTG is a B list team, they have plenty of fans compared to the SS. Marvel even relaunch their books to increase awareness of the team. Sony doesn't have way to promote SS except through straight marketing that will cost them $$$. This is difficult for a company who's Spiderman movies have been sporadic in quality. SM 1 was average, SM 2 was great, SM 3 was garbage, ASM 1 great, and ASM 2 was garbage. There was also that snooze Hulk movie. SS might just bomb and harm the Spiderman brand even further. Would Sony be willing to risk more money after that? I will say no. If SS bombs, Disney is swooping in a buying up Spiderman and taking full control.

Oh I completely agree. TASM2 had a ridiculous undisclosed budget, as well as another almost $200mill in marketing. So Cap2 was definitely much much more profitable. That's the whole reason Sony are even considering a deal with Marvel, and are panicking about their Spider-Man property, even talking about getting Sam Ramai and Tobey Maguire back.

All I'm saying is Sony will hold on to Spider-Man until the very end, and with his popularity, it could be a long long ride to wait out for Marvel to naturally get back the rights. If Marvel forsees it happening within the next 10-15 years though, then I'm sure they'll wait it out, as from a business point of view it makes sense. As they're clearly in no rush, or desperate need to get Spider-Man back right away. But it's a long long wait for us fans, so I'd rather they make a deal with Sony now tbh.

Firefly218
Nah, sinister six is in really good hands. Sony did the right thing, for once, and put Drew Goddard in charge. Goddard is really passionate about the characters and super talented.

80sBaby
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was the best Spidey film we've gotten thus far.

I don't really care if the rights go back to Marvel. As a studio they can only make so many films, so adding Spider-Man will mean another franchise will likely get short-changed.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by 80sBaby

I don't really care if the rights go back to Marvel. As a studio they can only make so many films, so adding Spider-Man will mean another franchise will likely get short-changed.

I think we've already had plenty of Spidey solo films. What I want now is to see him with the Hulk or with Iron Man.

And I would prefer an Awesome solo film every 5 years from Marvel than to get a mediocre (sometimes good) solo film every 2 years from Sony with no possibility of a Marvel crossover.

80sBaby
I think we've already had plenty of Spidey solo films. What I want now is to see him with the Hulk or with Iron Man.

And I would prefer an Awesome solo film every 5 years from Marvel than to get a mediocre (sometimes good) solo film every 2 years from Sony with no possibility of a Marvel crossover.

I agree that would be cool but we both know Marvel's gonna want to do a solo film sooner rather than later.

jinXed by JaNx

no

Impediment

no expression

BruceSkywalker
The best Spiderman film we have gotten so far is Spiderman 2 starring Tobey Maquire and featuring Alfred Molina as Doc Ock

fixed

WhiteWitchKing

You must be posting from Wonderland.

steverules_2

Nope

Only thing they did right was the spider-man costume

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
fixed thumb up

doctor reading

DARTH POWER
I don't really care when the next Solo Spider-Man movie comes now (whether it's another Spider-Man 2 or another TASM2). I'd just like to see Spider-Man with the Avengers.

We've had 3 decent Spider-Man films between SM1, SM2 and TASM1 (even if that is 1 too many origin stories). Time to spice things up for me to be excited about Live-Action Spider-Man again.

80sBaby
Well, you're all wrong so...lol

But seriously, it was the most faithful adaptation we've gotten. Garfield WAS Spider-Man. He had the quips, his action sequences were perfect, his chemistry with Gwen, etc.

Tobey, OTOH, was way too mopey for Peter. MJ was nothing like her comic counterpart, the action was cool for the time but ASM action is much better and looks like what I'd expect from Spidey.

Spawningpool
I stopped watching Spider-man after they took out toby maguire Happy Dance

DARTH POWER
The ASM franchise did correct certain things in Ramai's version that were not faithful to the source material.

That's why I loved ASM1 despite it retelling the Origin story just 10 years later.

However sticking to source material or not, I can't appreciate a bad film. And tbh as a film TASM2 isn't a massive improvement on S3.

That's why I just don't care about the next solo film, and want Marvel to take over the franchise. If they share the rights with Sony like 50/50 or even 60/40, that could work too. Do anything, just let Marvel sort out their Original Poster Boy.

Quincy
I didn't think ASM2 was as bad as folks say.

However...Marvel getting Spiderman would be sweet.

80sBaby
The ASM franchise did correct certain things in Ramai's version that were not faithful to the source material.

That's why I loved ASM1 despite it retelling the Origin story just 10 years later.

However sticking to source material or not, I can't appreciate a bad film. And tbh as a film TASM2 isn't a massive improvement on S3.

That's why I just don't care about the next solo film, and want Marvel to take over the franchise. If they share the rights with Sony like 50/50 or even 60/40, that could work too. Do anything, just let Marvel sort out their Original Poster Boy.

I agree that ASM 2 had flaws but none of them had to do with Spider-Man himself. Hence why I say it was the best adaptation thus far.

My biggest gripes are that Harry's transformation felt rushed and that some of the things we need to see in a Spidey film were left out simply because they wanted to distance themselves from the Raimi versions.

But I still liked it better than DOFP.

DARTH POWER

But I still liked it better than DOFP.

erm

Quincy
Preach!

80sBaby
erm

Sorry man but there were too many plot-holes for me to ignore, X-Men merely used as cannon fodder with zero character development so their deaths were meaningless, Magneto as the Big Bad AGAIN, Xavier vs Magneto philosophical debate AGAIN, etc.

I'm still waiting on a X-Men film that feels like an actual team movie and for them to focus on something other than mutant persecution.

Firefly218
Sorry man but there were too many plot-holes for me to ignore, X-Men merely used as cannon fodder with zero character development so their deaths were meaningless, Magneto as the Big Bad AGAIN, Xavier vs Magneto philosophical debate AGAIN, etc.

I'm still waiting on a X-Men film that feels like an actual team movie and for them to focus on something other than mutant persecution.
Magneto was NOT the big bad, he was the antihero. Everything "evil" magneto was doing was to prevent the ****ing apocalypse from happening.

DoFP was as much of a team movie as it possibly could've been: didn't focus too much on wolverine and everyone got their shining moment.

Get ur dumbass complaints outta here

80sBaby
Magneto was NOT the big bad, he was the antihero. Everything "evil" magneto was doing was to prevent the ****ing apocalypse from happening.

DoFP was as much of a team movie as it possibly could've been: didn't focus too much on wolverine and everyone got their shining moment.

Get ur dumbass complaints outta here

His attempt to kill the President and everyone in attendance had nothing to do with averting the apocalypse. It was about revenge/mutant supremacy. He was the one they all had to work to defeat in the end so, yes, he was the Big Bad.

And, no, it could have been a much better team movie. There was zero character development for any of the future X-Men. Beast, Xavier and Logan were the only real X-Men in the past, which isn't much of a team.

It was a much worse team film than either GOTG or Avengers.

And learn to spell "your" prior to calling someone a "dumbass"

Firefly218
First off, he was only about to kill the President, his cabinet and Bolivar Trask, not everyone in attendance. The reason Magneto was going to kill the President and his staff and Trask was because they were responsible for funding and creating the Sentinels.

The great thing about Magneto is that he isn't good or bad, he's in the grey area. He does whatever he needs to do to protect his people.

The team was fine, they had great chemistry and they advanced the narrative. Stupid complaint.

Secondly, the fact that I misspelled doesn't mean that I don't know how to spell. I'm very capable of spelling "your", but felt "ur" was more convenient and got the meaning across. Also, I never called you a dumbass. I called your complaints dumbass, which they are.

Quincy
Don't call his complaint "stupid." It's 100% fair. The logic in that flick was bonkers.

80sBaby
First off, he was only about to kill the President, his cabinet and Bolivar Trask, not everyone in attendance. The reason Magneto was going to kill the President and his staff and Trask was because they were responsible for funding and creating the Sentinels.

Dropping a stadium on the White House lawn is very surgical. More than just the President was in danger there. And my point still stands as Magneto's actions wouldn't have prevented anything. In fact, he would've only exacerbated the situation.

And, no, Magneto IS a villain. His motives may be understandable but he's definitely a racist, murdering terrorist.

Very poor counterargument.

Well, no but it does make your comment ironic and makes your statement sound pretty stupid.

Firefly218
Fact is, Magneto was trying to target the President, cabinet and Trask specifically. That's why he had them trapped in that chamber, so he could kill them. The reason he hijacked those early sentinel robots was to defend himself from the XMen, who were trying to stop him. Magneto was taking drastic measures to eliminate people who were against mutants and would eventually cause the apocalypse. From this angle, the XMen could be seen as the villains.

Magneto, in this movie, cannot be called a racist. The government was actively creating technology to destroy mutants. If anything, Magneto was acting in self-defense for himself and his entire race.

There was plenty of character development. Xavier began as a depressed druggie without any hope, the movie was the story of him regaining his hope.

No

80sBaby
Fact is, Magneto was trying to target the President, cabinet and Trask specifically. That's why he had them trapped in that chamber, so he could kill them. The reason he hijacked those early sentinel robots was to defend himself from the XMen, who were trying to stop him. Magneto was taking drastic measures to eliminate people who were against mutants and would eventually cause the apocalypse. From this angle, the XMen could be seen as the villains.

From a "certain point of view" or angle, the jedi are evil.

And killing the President, Trask and the cabinet wouldn't prevent an apocalypse, which was your initial argument.

So then not a racist but still a murdering terrorist? Good. Still a villain. The ends don't justify the means. That's villain talk.

Considering I specifically mentioned the lack of development for the future X-men, I'm not sure why you think brining up Xavier is some sort of point?

Well that rebuttal was certainly well thought out.

DARTH POWER
Magneto was an anti-hero in FC but was definitely a Villain for in DOFP. Attempted murder of Mystique and Wolverine was Evil. Doing for the greater good is a reason used by many villains.

That being said Xavier's character development(even the self development lessons from Old X to Young X-he was a real Yoda in the making), the story, the acting and the amazing action(Quicksilver anyone!) made DOFP easily one of the best action movies of the year.

80sBaby
Quicksilver's scene was very cool. But the rest were muted due to me not really caring about those involved. Also, his exit was somewhat nonsensical.

I also think Mcavoy and Fassbender were good, as per usual, but 2 good performances do not, necessarily, a great film make imo. I know a lot of people loved this movie but I wasn't one of them.

Now, back to the actual topic at hand: Spider-Man.

Quincy
This guy is my hero^

80sBaby
Originally posted by Quincy
This guy is my hero^

big grin big grin big grin

Firefly218
From a "certain point of view" or angle, the jedi are evil.

And killing the President, Trask and the cabinet wouldn't prevent an apocalypse, which was your initial argument.
It's all about perspective thumb up

And just how the hell do you know that killing the President, Trask and the cabinet wouldn't have been enough to prevent the apocalypse? Anyhow, Magneto was trying to prevent the apocalypse, and therefore, had good intentions. Don't villains generally have bad intentions?

So then not a racist but still a murdering terrorist? Good. Still a villain. The ends don't justify the means. That's villain talk.

Ok, so you concede that Magneto was no racist. Killing in self-defense is not murder.

How exactly was Magneto acting as a terrorist? Isn't a terrorist's goal to cause terror? Because if I have the definition correct, Magneto was the exact opposite of a terrorist. Magneto was trying to prevent the terror of an apocalypse and the extermination of his people.

The ends don't justify the means??? So killing a small group of racist/corrupt individuals to save the lives of billions of innocents is evil? Lay off the crack...

Considering I specifically mentioned the lack of development for the future X-men, I'm not sure why you think brining up Xavier is some sort of point?
Umm, because Xavier had character development... Besides, the movie focused on the younger versions rather than the older. Magneto and Mystique also had character development.

Well that rebuttal was certainly well thought out.
Thanks

Kazenji
Some more of those Sony leaks

Spider-Ham Among The Characters Sony Can't Use In Future SPIDER-MAN Movies

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=112524

seems to be alot of the C-grade characters.

ares834
The great thing about Magneto is that he isn't good or bad, he's in the grey area. He does whatever he needs to do to protect his people.

Magneto is a genocidal maniac. He is evil. Sure, in his warped sense of right and wrong what he is doing is "good", but in the end he is every bit as terrible as the humans he is fighting against. Still a great villain and one of my favorites.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ares834
Magneto is a genocidal maniac. He is evil. Sure, in his warped sense of right and wrong what he is doing is "good", but in the end he is every bit as terrible as the humans he is fighting against. Still a great villain and one of my favorites.

All true. Although he should have some redeemable element left in him Imho. Heck in the comics he's joined and even lead the X-Men more than once.

The only hint I saw of him being redeemable in DOFP was when Old Mags is dying.

Firefly218
Originally posted by ares834
In DoFP Magneto was justified. It was the government and Trask who were creating weaponry to eliminate mutants. Magneto just took drastic measures for a drastic situation.

I'll give y'all this, that magneto was the antagonist. He was no villain in this movie though, as he had good intentions. He was doing whatever was necessary to prevent the genocide of HIS people and the apocalypse.

Placidity
One consistent factor that ruins Spider-man (Tobey and Garfield) for me is the love interest - Mary Jane and Gwen.

The first Spider-man movie is an exception, because boobs.

On topic - I don't mind if they drop Garfield.

DARTH POWER
I love Garfield as Spider-Man. I think he plays him perfect. But even I wouldn't shed a tear if he was dropped because Marvel was taking over.

ares834
In DoFP Magneto was justified. It was the government and Trask who were creating weaponry to eliminate mutants. Magneto just took drastic measures for a drastic situation.

I'll give y'all this, that magneto was the antagonist. He was no villain in this movie though, as he had good intentions. He was doing whatever was necessary to prevent the genocide of HIS people and the apocalypse.

I fail to see how having good intentions doesn't make him a villain. Plenty of great villains have good intentions.

Quincy
Magneto is a bad guy, cool as he is as a character.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Quincy
Magneto is a bad guy, cool as he is as a character.

Yeah, but he's definitely a redeemable bad guy.

Aquitaine
Having not read the entire thread, I'm bound to reiterate someone's thoughts, but;
- I really wanted the story to continue in the Raimi universe. New actor? No problem. Didn't hurt 007 or Doctor Who.
Bad guys can always return too.
- I liked that the Raimi villains were tragic, in some way misguided or accidental - much like the books. All the Webb villains seem manufactured to just be evil. Not sure how I feel about that yet. Does that make them more clean cut 'bad guys'?
- Did we really need another origin that took up half the film?

With that said, the future seems like its headed down the Avengers route (obviously) with spin offs, mergers and the like.
Not a bad call, but they need to spread the creativity evenly and make each instalment in this universe work on all levels well.
I'd love to one day see Spidey morally scolding the Punisher and both running into Wolverine spying at a drug deal involving mutant trafficking - but thats extremely unlikely without rebooting everything again.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.