Is trolling just glorified bullying?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
It makes fun of dead people. Does anything to get a rise out of people.

You do anything just to annoy someone, including telling them to go die, or kill themselves. Say horrible things about their dead parents.

And yes, I've looked into this, its classed as trolling.

SamZED
It'd be somewhat similar if all bullies were only allowed to bully you from behind a bulletproof glass so you could ignore them. Difference is internet warriors can't really corner you and beat the crap out of you.

riv6672
Depends what you call trolling.
I've been told everything already mentioned, called gay, the n-word...by the same people who call me a troll for thinking Superman isnt unbeatable.

-shrug-

Alpha Debater
Define troll, trolling and trolled. Please use diagrams to illustrate any points you attempt to make.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by SamZED
It'd be somewhat similar if all bullies were only allowed to bully you from behind a bulletproof glass so you could ignore them. Difference is internet warriors can't really corner you and beat the crap out of you.
Well, they sort of can.

The worst cyber bullying happens when people who know each other IRL take to the internet to get at their victims. In America, there have been a few cases of young girls who committed suicide after some of their classmates bullied them relentlessly over Facebook and Twitter.

I agree that regular stranger-on-stranger trolling is pretty ineffectual, and anyone who lets that get to them is silly.

Bentley
Bullies help young people to build character, trolls are useless.

SamZED
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Well, they sort of can.

The worst cyber bullying happens when people who know each other IRL take to the internet to get at their victims. In America, there have been a few cases of young girls who committed suicide after some of their classmates bullied them relentlessly over Facebook and Twitter.

I agree that regular stranger-on-stranger trolling is pretty ineffectual, and anyone who lets that get to them is silly. I've heard about that, does that also fall under the "trolling" category? The word makes me think of a 12 year old in YouTube comment section capslocking racial slurs and random mother insults.

Quincy
Trolling is a playful term. Like your horribly racist grandmother isn't racist, she's just "gram gram"

riv6672
Originally posted by Bentley
Bullies help young people to build character...
Who builds theirs is what i wonder...

red g jacks
i have seen trolls who don't antagonize people at all. they just come up with a shtick and basically try to entertain people with it.

Omega Vision
Sometimes bullying helps build character. A lot of the times it also leads to unfortunate psychological complexes. If Oliver North were still here I'm sure he'd be able to tell us what studies have been done on the long term impact of bullying on a wide range of subjects.
Originally posted by SamZED
I've heard about that, does that also fall under the "trolling" category? The word makes me think of a 12 year old in YouTube comment section capslocking racial slurs and random mother insults.
No, you're right, it wouldn't be trolling, it would be cyber-bullying.

quanchi112
Trolling is what weaker posters try to do to me due to my flawless debating.

AsbestosFlaygon
My view on bullies is completely the opposite. Most of the time, being bullied has negative effects on the victims.

Bullies destroy your character. The mental, social, emotional, and sometimes even physical impacts can be overwhelming for some individuals. Bullying can alter a victim's worldviews towards pessimism and nihilism.

Quincy
I'm with Flaygon on this issue

Alpha Debater
How many of you were bullied at school?

LordofBrooklyn
Originally posted by quanchi112
Trolling is what weaker posters try to do to me due to my flawless debating.

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

You are an ego booster to even the most novice of debaters.

Alpha Debater
Originally posted by Jmanghan
It makes fun of dead people. Does anything to get a rise out of people.

You do anything just to annoy someone, including telling them to go die, or kill themselves. Say horrible things about their dead parents.

And yes, I've looked into this, its classed as trolling.

I think the way the media uses the word trolling now is very different to how it was used in the past on the internet. Once troll threads were funny, but unfortunately some people take it too far. Online forums before their demise, due to Social Media went through an awful phase. A lot of groups of trolls would lay down a marker that a forum was theirs and use ludicrous terminology copied from the Chan boards e.g. Rape you, ethnic slurs etc. These same trolls would suck up to forum mods who are often insecure, ill educated losers living in a fantasy world who will do anything for friends and these mods would protect these trolls - who would often pick on the weak, vulnerable and young of a forum. It would also make them the targets of bigger trolls who could activate these forum defender trolls for "lulz".

Many weak forummers would go along with these loser forum trolls who would feel "epic" ekudos from their self congratulatory behaviour. Eventually though these forum protector trolls would overstep the mark with their pet mods and get banned "fail" or run away from a forum for a short amount of time "butthurt", until they thought that the regulars had changed enough and they had sucked up enough to the pet mods to return often with different accounts.

The beahviours of these trolls became a template for internet bullies and has been copied by school age children. How much blood is on this type of trolls hands and the mods who protected them and allowed things like organised paedo rings to take place on their forums?

Keep the faith,

-AD

Bentley
@Omega & Asbestos

Yeah, now that you mention it, the risk of trolling becoming an issue is also much lower than the risk of being traumatized by a bully. Bullying people is obviously a wrong attitude that is destructive to begin with, for each party involved.

My original intention was to note that trolling doesn't help to build character, as our span of attention online works pretty differently as that of real life experiences -for starters-.

Quincy
Bullying and trolling both do more harm than good, realistically.

Bentley
Originally posted by Quincy
Bullying and trolling both do more harm than good, realistically.

I don't think they were meant to do good to begin with.

Unless you pick a white-hat troll like Quan who spends hours staying on character to make us all laugh.

Tzeentch
Trolling is intellectual bullying, as it generally only works on, and thus targets stupid people and people who have certain vulnerabilities like anger management issues and low self-esteem.

Alpha Debater
Some times important yet emotive threads are confused with trolling because people cannot be detached and logical because their feelings about a subject are too strong. This leads to "drama", often forum defender trolls seize on this to troll an important issue they are too stupid to understand.

NemeBro
Do you have any examples?

Alpha Debater
Originally posted by NemeBro
Do you have any examples?

Often emotive subjects, I'm sure you can "picture" it, I don't need to share the "picture". But these forum trolls will always overstep the mark, then they call on the pet mods to protect them. Most moderators will never understand many people only want to interact in forums through posts and not through pm's, sucking up etc. They have real friends to talk about personal things. It's hard for a moderator to grasp this, because after all sucking up in PM's was how they became moderators in the first place.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Trolling is intellectual bullying, as it generally only works on, and thus targets stupid people and people who have certain vulnerabilities like anger management issues and low self-esteem. So short people with self esteem issues like Robbie. Poor little guy.

quanchi112
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHA

You are an ego booster to even the most novice of debaters. Says one of the most laughable, harmless, ignorant Superman fans out there. You are a yappy dog. That is all.

Robtard
Originally posted by quanchi112
So short people with self esteem issues like Robbie. Poor little guy.
"irony"

You really are obsessed with me, raging about me in almost every single thread you can. Balls deep in your head, am I smile

red g jacks
Originally posted by Alpha Debater
Often emotive subjects, I'm sure you can "picture" it, I don't need to share the "picture". But these forum trolls will always overstep the mark, then they call on the pet mods to protect them. Most moderators will never understand many people only want to interact in forums through posts and not through pm's, sucking up etc. They have real friends to talk about personal things. It's hard for a moderator to grasp this, because after all sucking up in PM's was how they became moderators in the first place. you sound bitter about something to me.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
"irony"

You really are obsessed with me, raging about me in almost every single thread you can. Balls deep in your head, am I smile Nah. You are pretty angry though I pointed out your low self esteem.

jaden101
Anyone who thinks insulting people and harassing families of dead people obviously doesn't know what trolling is. that's just being a ****.

THIS is trolling
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8399398400/hA3222D92/

Spawningpool
The most common trolling I see is on the internet. More commonly multiplayer video games. Trolling comes in many different forms than bullying. Th most common is trash talking, noob tubing, demoting, no scoping, that one thing where you block doors and your teammates can't get through, griefing, and spamming. So trolling is more toward gaming than anything. And from personal experience trolling has never left an emotional mark on me Happy Dance

Robtard
Originally posted by jaden101
THIS is trolling
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8399398400/hA3222D92/

I laughed

Alpha Debater
Originally posted by red g jacks
you sound bitter about something to me. Clearly I can't "sound" like anything through written, text based communication. Communicate with a few mods regularly through pm do you?

Time Immemorial
AD why do you want to start issues here? Whatever happened in the past. What happened yesterday or last year can never be undone. Just move on and make the best out of every day.

Alpha Debater
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
AD why do you want to start issues here? Whatever happened in the past. What happened yesterday or last year can never be undone. Just move on and make the best out of every day.

I do not wish to start anything TI I am merely making observations, any similarities to persons living or dead is purely coincidental.

-AD

red g jacks
Clearly I can't "sound" like anything through written, text based communication. lol. man, you're good.
never... i just see the ***** in you

dadudemon
Clearly I can't "sound" like anything through written, text based communication. Communicate with a few mods regularly through pm do you?

This is something I used to post pre-2008 on KMC. Get your own material.

Time Immemorial
DDM has returned, ALL hail the King

marwash22
i can't respect any adult if they're bothered in the slightest by something someone on the internet says about them.

Also, if i had a kid who came to me and said he/she feels emotionally distressed by internet (or even face-to-face verbal) bullying, I would feel like a failure as a parent.

AsbestosFlaygon
WTF? Alpha Centauri is back

NemeBro
Originally posted by marwash22
i can't respect any adult if they're bothered in the slightest by something someone on the internet says about them.

Also, if i had a kid who came to me and said he/she feels emotionally distressed by internet (or even face-to-face verbal) bullying, I would feel like a failure as a parent. When I insulted your ethnicity you got somewhat bothered.

Don't be such a ****ing hypocrite you punk *****.

Alpha Debater
Originally posted by dadudemon
This is something I used to post pre-2008 on KMC. Get your own material.

Really? Bit shocked, but clearly you were brighter then.

-AD

Spawningpool
Honestly if you are bothered by trolling you need to grow a pair

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.