Sony cancels The Interview

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
http://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-cancels-release-of-the-interview-1418844906

Damn. Deez North Koreans be buckin'

Tattoos N Scars
U.S. gets punked again. North Koreans would doubtfully pull off 9/11 style attacks. No evidence it was the North Korean gov't anyway....could be a false flag?

Robtard
Way to let the nerd-terrorist win. Now there's a precedent set.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
.could be a false flag?
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx97/JML9999/obama_laughing1_zps7f341f68.jpg

marwash22
what. a bunch. of bullshit.

kinda wish they would have released it and something tragic happened in a theater so that the US nuked the fucc out of that Korean maniac and free all the people who live in fear of offending a putz who thinks he's god.

Omega Vision
Some hero needs to leak it online. Where are those Anonymous guys when you need them?

Tattoos N Scars
Obama wouldn't have the balls to attack North Korea if they attacked us. He'd be scared if China's involvement. We need Bush or Reagan to attack lol.

Tzeentch
Indeed, only they would be stupid enough to actually try it.

Invading NK would be a nightmare for us.

Omega Vision
Obama wouldn't have the balls to attack North Korea if they attacked us. He'd be scared if China's involvement. We need Bush or Reagan to attack lol.
China has made it very clear that they aren't going to help North Korea if North Korea starts a fight with anyone, let alone with the most powerful military in the world.

There have even been not-so-well-hidden messages from Chinese diplomats that China's greatest hope is that North Korea gets peacefully absorbed into South Korea, because that's the only outcome that doesn't end up with millions of refugees flooding into northern China.

Robtard
Reagan would try to outspend them and Bush wouldn't do shit, there's probably no money to be made

marwash22
Obama wouldn't have the balls to attack North Korea if they attacked us. If there's one thing Obama is good at it's killing terrorists.

and like Rob said, NK has nothing for us to take, so Bush definitely wouldn't have done it.

AsbestosFlaygon
This is why politics and entertainment should never go hand-in-hand.

Anyways, we don't really know the identity(ies) of the hacker(s).

It might've been just a random nerd who got wind of URLs of the confidential zip files.

BackFire
Sony should just release it digitally for $10 a pop. Or, failing that, release it for free so everyone can watch it, which is exactly what North Korea and the hacker/terrorists/whatever don't want.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by BackFire
Sony should just release it digitally for $10 a pop. Or, failing that, release it for free so everyone can watch it, which is exactly what North Korea and the hacker/terrorists/whatever don't want.
Then the hacker(s) would just release more confidential files to the public.

Bardock42
Good, now that Sony has shown that we give in to terrorist threats these threats should stop any day now.

BackFire
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Then the hacker(s) would just release more confidential files to the public.

Originally posted by Bardock42
Good, now that Sony has shown that we give in to terrorist threats these threats should stop any day now.

As Bardock points out, giving in to their demands will just increase the likelihood of this happening again. Showing the movie to as many people as possible is really the best thing Sony can do at this point, giving in to such demands and threats, as they've done, is probably the worst thing they can do.

Besides, Sony didn't pull the movie out of fear of more files being released to the public, they pulled the movie because of threats of actual violence.

Dreampanther
As Bardock points out, giving in to their demands will just increase the likelihood of this happening again. Showing the movie to as many people as possible is really the best thing Sony can do at this point, giving in to such demands and threats, as they've done, is probably the worst thing they can do.

Besides, Sony didn't pull the movie out of fear of more files being released to the public, they pulled the movie because of threats of actual violence.

I've been discussing this on another platform, and this is exactly my concern. First, I am not American, so this is an outsider's point of view. But, to me, this sets a dangerous precedent. How is this any different to making a movie about religion, homosexuality, abortion, evolution, etc? Almost any topic is guaranteed to offend somebody.

Yet, now the US seems to send a message that if something offends you, all you have to do is issue an anonymous threat and boom - the offending material will meekly and apologetically withdrawn.

Lestov16
TBF, IIRC it is illegal for a US film or TV show to explicitly show the death of an incumbent POTUS on-screen, so I am unsure why the rule should be lifted for other heads of state.

Spawningpool
I bet the guy threatening is a ****1ng low life hacker who has nothing to do but make false threats and play W.O.W

Mindship
So...we can't screw with North Korea's crowd-watching security cams?

Spawningpool
I'm sad that Sony took this seriously time to start drinking beer

Lestov16
I think Sony was stupid. If North Korea made good on their terror threat the U.S. would have annihilated them. But maybe that's why they didn't release it, so the North Koreans don't potentially start a costly war over a movie. So never mind my beginning sentence.

Spawningpool
Let's just fricking attack Korea now.

Dreampanther
Anyone feel like Kickstarting my project? I am going to make Jet Li dress as Kim Jong-un and kick Clint Eastwood's feeble cowboy-ass all over the world, with Clint just mumbling, "Please, it was just a joke, I don't want to fight, I don't want any trouble, please don't hurt me..."

Lestov16
Calm down. I doubt the movie was going to be that good anyway. Seth Rogan is no Parker and Stone.

Quincy
I had no interest in the movie until all this shit started

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Lestov16
TBF, IIRC it is illegal for a US film or TV show to explicitly show the death of an incumbent POTUS on-screen, so I am unsure why the rule should be lifted for other heads of state.
Yes.

Making a movie about Pres. Obama getting assassinated would land you a spot in the FBI/CIA hitlist.

Spawningpool
Calm down. I doubt the movie was going to be that good anyway. Seth Rogan is no Parker and Stone. Seth rogan and James are pretty funny

Lestov16
Not that funny. Trailers looked OK at best.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Dreampanther
First, I am not American.

Don't worry about it, neither is Sony.

Dreampanther

Robtard
Have to wonder what the N. Korean press is saying about this.

Time Immemorial
Who would see this stupid movie about North Korea on Christmas Day anyways. Stupid ass idea.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Who would see this stupid movie about North Korea on Christmas Day anyways. Stupid ass idea.

I would, just to piss off North Korea. Wouldn't you? wink

Tattoos N Scars
Talk of boycotting Sony over this fiasco.

BackFire
Originally posted by Robtard
Have to wonder what the N. Korean press is saying about this.

Cowardly American pigs tremble before the might of our glorious leader.

AsbestosFlaygon
Cowardly American pigs tremble before the might of our glorious leader.
Also the Japanese pigs.

Digi
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
This is why politics and entertainment should never go hand-in-hand.

What a horrible idea. Numerous insightful critiques and/or important calls to action have happened through entertainment media.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
Anyone feel like Kickstarting my project? I am going to make Jet Li dress as Kim Jong-un and kick Clint Eastwood's feeble cowboy-ass all over the world, with Clint just mumbling, "Please, it was just a joke, I don't want to fight, I don't want any trouble, please don't hurt me..."

Link? I'll back that sh*t in a heartbeat.

thumb up 313

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I would, just to piss off North Korea. Wouldn't you? wink

Nah, I'll see American Sniper.

Mindship
What I disagree with is this: I can understand theaters not wanting to show the movie, for safety concerns. But to avoid being sued?! Excuse me, but if I go to the movies, that's my decision. No one is putting a gun to my head and saying I have to see the film. But then, that is part of the American psyche: if something happens to me, it's never my fault.

Time for the American mindset -- nothing-should-interfere-with-my-"right"-to-walk-Manhattan-streets-in-flipflops-while-burying-my-attention-in-my-mobile-device-cuz-I'm-updating-my-facebook-page-ie-my-realty-show-life-everyone-should-know-about -- to grow up. This is the world we live. Complacency is a liability. That's how they got us on 9/11; that's how they got us here.

/rant

Oneness

Tattoos N Scars
I don't think it bothered Saddam that we killed him off in Hor Shots 2.

riv6672
We found a copy of that movie in each of the three palaces i helped clear.

marwash22
what... what. if. what if this is all just an elaborate marketing hoax to spark massive interest in the movie, and it gets released in a month or so.

http://i.imgur.com/S4MYFQO.gif

Lunacyde
What happened to not negotiating with terrorists?
Way to send the message that all you have to do is threaten violence and we will censor ourselves to your liking.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by Lunacyde
What happened to not negotiating with terrorists?
Way to send the message that all you have to do is threaten violence and we will censor ourselves to your liking.

It wasn't our goveenment. It was Sony. Obama can't make them release a movie.

marwash22
if it was the government who shut the movie down I would be outraged instead of annoyed. That was would have been an astounding display of weakness, not to mention a sad deconstruction of our constitutional rights.

ares834
Calm down. I doubt the movie was going to be that good anyway. Seth Rogan is no Parker and Stone.

Sure. But I don't care about whether the film is good or bad. What I do care about is we have a dictator from a foreign country basically censoring is. It's horrific and against a big part of what America stands for.

By giving in, Sony has set a very dangerous precedent.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by ares834
Sure. But I don't care about whether the film is good or bad. What I do care about is we have a dictator from a foreign country basically censoring is. It's horrific and against a big part of what America stands for.

By giving in, Sony has set a very dangerous precedent.
Except Sony is a Japanese corporation.
It's Japan that's afraid of N.Korea, hence Sony CEO personally negotiated with its US subsidiary.

ares834
Which still doesn't change anything I said. We still have a foreign dictator saying what we can and can't watch.

Lestov16
Obama criticized Sony saying they made a mistake and that foreign dictators should not be able to censor movies.

On a hilarious related note, now Putin is suddenly asking Kim Jong Un to visit Russia.

riv6672
Tandem shirtless horse rides FRW.

Lestov16
North Korea is denying responsibility and claiming they are being framed, and surprisingly offering to work with US to find the true perpetrator.

Bardock42
US and North Korea investigating together.

brb, I got a buddy cop comedy to pitch.

Time Immemorial
What funny is North Korea prolly did not even do this and I'm not the only one who does not think so. Think about it, how the hell would they even have the tech to do this. This was an inside job.

And this is not the first time this type of hack has been used, last time it was used on Saudi Arabia and Iran was blamed.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/evidence-of-north-korea-hack-is-thin/

Time Immemorial
North Korea is denying responsibility and claiming they are being framed, and surprisingly offering to work with US to find the true perpetrator.

Literally there is no proof North Korea did this, and suggesting they did without proof is ludicrous.

Bardock42
China criticizes US and Sony Pictures, says The Interview is 'nothing to be proud of'

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/21/7430377/china-criticizes-us-and-sony-pictures-says-the-interview-is-nothing

Robtard
It's out on the interwebs, downloading it now

Flyattractor
Originally posted by riv6672
We found a copy of that movie in each of the three palaces i helped clear.
This I would believe.

I don't think Sony "created" the situation but are more then willing to take make full use of all the idiots that think this means this movie is somehow going to be AWESOMEER because if it.

Its a Seth Rogan film. We should all know exactly what were getting here....A Seth Rogan film.

Although I will say that if its a FREE download....that is its biggest draw for seeing it for me.

Mindship
"Any civilized world will oppose hacker attacks or terror threats. But a movie like The Interview, which makes fun of the leader of an enemy of the US, is nothing to be proud of for Hollywood and US society."

"No matter how the US society looks at North Korea and Kim Jong Un, Kim is still the leader of the country. The vicious mocking of Kim is only a result of senseless cultural arrogance."

"The US society stands on the upper stream of global competition of culture. It needs to show some good manners instead of being too aggressive. The American elites should not just speak like gentlemen, but behave like them."

I disagree. It's not senseless cultural arrogance. It's jovially deliberate.

AsbestosFlaygon
Makes you think if China was responsible for the hacking.

Omega Vision
China often uses its state run papers to vent. Events and decisions that bother the Chinese government get put on blast on these newspapers, but it doesn't mean China will do anything about it. China also uses these same papers to attack North Korea, but the actual state of affairs between China and North Korea don't change much.

Lestov16
So after all this build up, how was the movie, to those now able to view it via the web?

Robtard
It was crappy. The odd haha here and there, but a lousy flick.

Lord Lucien
Did you go to a theatre or pay for it on YouTube?

Tzeentch
I feel like with all the hype surrounding it at this point, there's no way it could be anything but underwhelming.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Downloaded it via torrent

Robtard
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

I downloaded it off a Torrents site, then streamed it from my computer/Plex Media Server to my television/Chromecast using my iPhone as the remote control while giving N. Korea the middle-finger like a real Americano

Omega Vision
The headline should be "North Korea fails to save America from mediocre comedy"

Lestov16
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The headline should be "North Korea fails to save America from mediocre comedy" lol thumb up

Stoic
The attack launched by North Korea seemed so childish to me. I felt as if I was hearing about a mischievous little child that got away with a prank, only to stand there dancing while screaming na na na na na. What's really troubling, is that you can never tell how far a person with this kind of mentality would go. I mean could we be looking at war with this country over something of equal significance as a comedy? This is quite worrisome IMO.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.