XBox Live and PSN Down

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-network-and-xbox-live-are-down-and-the-notorious-hacker-gang-lizard-squad-is-taking-credit-2014-12

Some clowns called Lizard Squad are claiming responsibility. Why are they doing this? Well, apprently they just want people to retweet them and favorite them.

Yep, they're ruining people's online experience just for vanity's sake.

It's pretty funny how the other hacker group, The Finest, keeps on yelling at Microsoft and Sony to make themselves harder targets without much avail.

AsbestosFlaygon
They need competent security admins.

ares834
Bunch of ass holes... Seem to be a follow up group to Derptrolling who did the same shit earlier this year.

Stoic
Originally posted by Omega Vision
http://www.businessinsider.com/playstation-network-and-xbox-live-are-down-and-the-notorious-hacker-gang-lizard-squad-is-taking-credit-2014-12

Some clowns called Lizard Squad are claiming responsibility. Why are they doing this? Well, apprently they just want people to retweet them and favorite them.

Yep, they're ruining people's online experience just for vanity's sake.

It's pretty funny how the other hacker group, The Finest, keeps on yelling at Microsoft and Sony to make themselves harder targets without much avail.

Panic central huh?

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
They need competent security admins.

If it's a DOS, or DDOS attack, there is no stopping it. It's the Juggernaut of viruses. The scary part is that it's so simple, even a child could bring a major network down. Scary huh? Makes you wonder how sophisticated the people that attacked Sony were.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Stoic
If it's a DOS, or DDOS attack, there is no stopping it. It's the Juggernaut of viruses. The scary part is that it's so simple, even a child could bring a major network down. Scary huh? Makes you wonder how sophisticated the people that attacked Sony were.

There are very expensive Firewall/Border Router/Heuristic Intrusion Prevention and Detection appliances available out there that could be deployed to prevent these DDoS attacks from being viable.

Here's the problem: the companies do not want to spend that much on infrastructure. I know for a fact Cisco sells a device that can handle a significant fraction of all internet traffic, at once, that fits my description of an appliance, above. I think it cost several hundred thousand or even millions of dollars (Cisco doesn't list the price) but devices like those do exist.

If a DDoS attack is occurring, the services being attacked and the security appliances in place must be able to handle the attack, shut it down quickly, and block traffic from that botnet. But that costs money...and big businesses are all about saving money.

Stoic
Originally posted by dadudemon
There are very expensive Firewall/Border Router/Heuristic Intrusion Prevention and Detection appliances available out there that could be deployed to prevent these DDoS attacks from being viable.

Here's the problem: the companies do not want to spend that much on infrastructure. I know for a fact Cisco sells a device that can handle a significant fraction of all internet traffic, at once, that fits my description of an appliance, above. I think it cost several hundred thousand or even millions of dollars (Cisco doesn't list the price) but devices like those do exist.

If a DDoS attack is occurring, the services being attacked and the security appliances in place must be able to handle the attack, shut it down quickly, and block traffic from that botnet. But that costs money...and big businesses are all about saving money.

I agree completely. However like you said not all companies are willing to go to wall in terms of the redundancy that you mentioned.

Star428
I thought something was up with PSN. I tried signing-in earlier today because I wanted to get my daily dose of some XCOM mp mode. To my disappointment, I kept getting the "You have been signed-out of playstation network" notification everytime I tried. I checked the network online from my computer and it said it was undergoing "routine maintenance". So I had to settle for playing some single player games all throughout the day. What a bummer. On Christmas too. That sucks.

I thought that by this time tonight/early morning that it would be back up but I guess it's still down, huh?

Star428
Nevermind. I see that it's back up now. Time for some Magic 2013 or XCOM. smile

Time Immemorial
I'm happy I didn't buy one of these systems now.

Time Immemorial
http://kotaku.com/hackers-explain-why-they-supposedly-took-down-psn-and-x-1675448709

Esau Cairn
And the more we rely on technology...the easier it is to bring us to our knees.

KidRock
People are assholes.

BackFire
Hi Kidrock.

Star428
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
And the more we rely on technology...the easier it is to bring us to our knees.

Sad, but very true. For example, an EMP attack by terrorists on a power grid could cripple the country (any country) for years. I've recently started prepping for something bad like that happening or something equally bad like the economy collapsing (something I fear will happen in the near-future to the US, unfortunately), natural disasters, riots, race war(seems likely with how our nation is divided with recent events), etc...

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Star428
Sad, but very true. For example, an EMP attack by terrorists on a power grid could cripple the country (any country) for years. I've recently started prepping for something bad like that happening or something equally bad like the economy collapsing (something I fear will happen in the near-future to the US, unfortunately), natural disasters, riots, race war(seems likely with how our nation is divided with recent events), etc...
For the time being, an EMP attack by a non-state entity is incredibly unlikely. The only reliable way to produce an EMP at present, as I understand it, is to detonate a nuclear weapon.

quanchi112
This was very irritating.

Spawningpool
Lizard squad is reported arrested. A group called finest squad snitched on them... The FBI took the. In apparently.

Bentley
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
I'm happy I didn't buy one of these systems now.

You, as everybody else, should wait until good games are out in those systems thumb up

That might just teach companies not to put out plastic boxes that can't do sh_t... Well, I guess, that's still better than putting out games that aren't even finished.

Quincy
Oh man did they really get arrested? That would be hilarious

Spawningpool
Three of them did there are two guys left

Star428
LOL. I'm having more PS3 online issues tonight. I was signed-on and tried sending several messages and game invites to a friend and everytime I got the message from the network that the message could not be sent. I thought that turning off my system might solve the problem but when I tried signing back on I kept getting the message that my Sony network connection had timed-out.

Sony better get their shit together or else I will never buy anying made by them ever again..

Oneness
Good thing I'm out of a console atm. stick out tongue

Star428
Edited. Nevermind.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.