How is it like to live in your country?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AsbestosFlaygon
So, do you like living in your country?

If you've ever traveled to other countries, do you think the time you spent there is better than where you're living now?

I'm currently residing in the Philippines, at the capital of the Bulacan province.

The standard of living here is... not really that great tbh.

1. The price of utilities are ridiculous.
My average electricity bill is about Php12,000 (~$270). I need to turn on the A/C in the living room in the afternoon and noon everyday to combat the intense Philippine climate. It can get extremely hot and humid here.

2. Ready-to-eat food can either be cheap or a bit pricey, depending on the quality of the food. And by cheap food, I mean really cheap, like processed pork entrails or canned sardines.
Veggies and fruits are cheap. But finding fresh produce is almost impossible in malls or supermarkets. Most are noticeably rotting or old. You'll have to go to the public market if you want the freshest fruits/veggies.
Meat is expensive. Average price for lean pork meat is like ~$4 a kilo.
Foods from restaurants are a bit pricey.
A Big Mac meal costs Php158 last I checked (~$3.5).

3. Gas prices are about the same in the US, only for diesel. Be prepared to pay more for unleaded or premium. Note that ALL gas stations add some kind of fuel additives that actually shorten the mileage on the gas, contrary to the supposed function of adding extra mileage.

4. Life is easy here, as long as you are single lol. I mean that for real.
Some Filipinos might find this offensive (I'm Filipino btw), but expect your expenses to double or even triple if you are in a relationship.
Most, not all, Filipinas love going out in the malls and beautifying themselves.
But the difference is they tend to spend more than women (and men) of other races (trust me, I know). And they expect you to pay for their expenses.
You're a walking ATM. So be careful at choosing a Filipina/Filipino lover.
Oh, I almost forgot about their in-laws. Often times they're worse than the person you will be with.

5. Quality branded clothes are in the expensive side. Not that different compared to the US.
Cheap clothes are cheap. Literally. Don't expect it to last for more than a year or two.

6. Electronics are expensive. Perhaps amongst the most expensive compared to the other countries I have been.
It's cheaper to bring electronic products by cargo from another country to the Philippines, than to purchase electronic products from the malls or department stores in the Phils.

7. Booze and cigarettes are dirt cheap. Even cheaper if your group of friends agree to split the payment for the bill. Drink and smoke to your heart's content.

8. Cars are double or triple the price compared to the US or Europe.
Not as bad compared to most Asian countries, except the Middle East, India, Malaysia, Indonesia, and South Korea.
Owning a car in the Philippines (even a cheap one like a Toyota Wigo) is considered a luxury and not a necessity by most people, especially if bought brand new.
Used car market isn't great either. My advice: Stick to buying a brand new car. You never know if it's been flooded, converted, or stolen.

9. Rent is cheap.
Sometimes I contemplate if it would've been better if I just lived in a hotel for Php200 a day, than live in a Php6mil+ home.

10. Labor is cheap.
You can get a housemaid for Php2,500/mo (~$55/mo). Sometimes even lower.
They're good all-around helpers. Some can cook, take care of your children, etc.
All that service for that price is a bargain, imo.
Basic pay for an average laborer is about Php150/day (~$3/day).

11. Transportation is expensive.
Taxi starts at Php40 (~$1) before it even starts moving. Every kilometer drops like Php3. If you're coming from NAIA to the Bulacan province, for example, be prepared to spend Php1,000. Yikes!
Jeepneys ask for Php8 minimum. Tricyles are more expensive at Php16 minimum.
Train fare is Php14 minimum, but I wouldn't advice newly migrated foreigners/newbies to ride on the trains lol.

12. Jewelry is expensive, as the rest of the world is.
It only comes cheap in the Middle East.

If you have the time, please share your insights in how it's like to live in your country (in your current living standards).

riv6672
I'll keep it short:

Been around the world; i love the USA!

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by riv6672
I'll keep it short:

Been around the world; i love the USA!

Queen of Lame.

AsbestosFlaygon
Maybe I should've specified it to city or town.
I think the majority of the members here are from the US.

riv6672
Oh in that case, Oahu, Hawaii.
The cost of living is slightly high, but, in an optimum scenario, i really wouldnt need much.
Beautiful weather, friendly people, kick ass comic shop...paradise.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Maybe I should've specified it to city or town.
I think the majority of the members here are from the US.

Thanks for sharing your retrospect on The Philippines.
I was born there but moved to Australia when I was 5.
Often wondered what life would be like if my family didn't move.

Star428
Why did u make two identical threads on this subject?

dadudemon
If I have time tomorrow, I'll post about it. I enjoyed reading your post, Asbestos.

Oneness
Apparently you don't understand how things work around here.

You answer will depend on how much lower one's work is than his or her wealth.

If I were wealthy, didn't have to work, I'd buy six houses and support six supermodels as my high maintenance fiances friends with benefits without them having to do much at all, except shop. Each oblivious to each other's existence, thinking I'm busy with my non-existent career.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Star428
Why did u make two identical threads on this subject?
I have already requested a mod to edit the thread title from 'country' to 'city' but it hasn't been changed yet.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Oneness
Apparently you don't understand how things work around here.

You answer will depend on how much lower one's work is than his or her wealth.

If I were wealthy, didn't have to work, I'd buy six houses and support six supermodels as my high maintenance fiances friends with benefits without them having to do much at all, except shop. Each oblivious to each other's existence, thinking I'm busy with my non-existent career.
I don't know where you're going with this, but just because I'm financially stable doesn't mean I have to ignore the prices of common goods relative to my income.

Oneness
I don't know where you're going with this, but just because I'm financially stable doesn't mean I have to ignore the prices of common goods relative to my income. A billion doesn't run out if you have middle income homes and vehicles and goods.

riv6672
Originally posted by dadudemon
If I have time tomorrow, I'll post about it. I enjoyed reading your post, Asbestos.
Ah, that should be a fun read. thumb up

Esau Cairn
I don't know where you're going with this, but just because I'm financially stable doesn't mean I have to ignore the prices of common goods relative to my income.

Oneness speaks with the wisdom only a virgin could have.

riv6672
YOU are very wise, Brak. thumb up

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by riv6672
YOU are very wise, Brak. thumb up

I'm after your Glob Mod position.

Esau Cairn
And yer momma.

riv6672
Next time, kid, you should

http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-dont-take-the-bait.png

laughing out loud

Esau Cairn
YOU,ME,MCDONALDS CAR-PARK...NOW!!!
I'm gonna beat that Global Mod outta ya.

riv6672
This fish is too small, gotta throw it back. cool

Esau Cairn
I'm bribing our Brazillian OverLord for yer modship.

Soon you'll be mopping up The Jungle Rooooom.

Reflassshh
I lived in usa, spain and currently I'm residing in Argentina. If I had to chose I would pick usa but not DC, i'd rather live somewhere pacific like Georgia.

riv6672
Georgia. I wouldnt live there again on a bet; bad time. East coast though, i wouldnt mind.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.