Can Galactus eat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
The Phantom Zone?
The Dark Dimension (darkforce powers)?
The Dark Dimension (Dormammu)?
Surtur's realm?
Mephisto's Hell?
The Microverse?
The Negative Zone?
The Speed Force?

Not sure how his powers work outside of planet draining.

Estacado
Can he eat 500 hot dogs?mmm

riv6672
Oh you're sharp as a bowling ball kid!

Insane Titan
He started to devour Mephistos realm before and did the same to hyperstorm who iirc was hyperspace energy. They may be other examples,

Imo he could consume all on the list

Magnon
On the other hand, Galactus CANNOT consume something as simple as e.g. stars or solar energy. His primary source of energy is the biospheres of planets; other than that it's a hit-or-miss.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by Magnon
On the other hand, Galactus CANNOT consume something as simple as e.g. stars or solar energy. His primary source of energy is the biospheres of planets; other than that it's a hit-or-miss.

Thats not true...

BCA Galactus was about to consume all of reality...

Inaddition, in the original Secret War, Reed Richards believed that after Galactus consumed Taa 2, Battleworld and the Sun were next on the menu...

Anyway, to answer the OP, Galactus eats it all...

riv6672
Thanks, LoM. I'd long ago forgotten the SW Reed synopsis.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by riv6672
Thanks, LoM. I'd long ago forgotten the SW Reed synopsis.

thumb up

zom1967
I think Galactus can consume almost any energy source(he could not consume the dark Galaxy in rom#27).I think he gets the most energy from planets that are capable of life.But he can consume stars and other things,but at different %.

Magnon
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Thats not true...

BCA Galactus was about to consume all of reality...

Inaddition, in the original Secret War, Reed Richards believed that after Galactus consumed Taa 2, Battleworld and the Sun were next on the menu...

Anyway, to answer the OP, Galactus eats it all...

Wrong, it has been well established in canon that Galactus cannot consume stars. Just before he ate the Skrull homeworld he was desperately looking for an alternative so that no more civilizations would have to die by his hand. He tried his best to devour solar energy... and failed.

Then Death appeared to him, and convinced him that it is his role to devour life and that he should just accept it.

This is a scan where Galactus tries to consume stellar energy, and the next page he fails miserably at it (unfortunately I was unable to find the follow-up scan) :

http://thisrecording.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/galactus1.jpg?w=1200

TheLordofMurder
Well, we have a case of inconsistent writing from marvel then...

Reed is never wrong as pertains to Galactus (and Galactus was going to eat everything during BCA)...

Marvel simply needs more consistent writing...

DarkSaint85
Inconsistent writing, from a comics company dedicated to sales??? Shocking!

riv6672
CONSISTANTLY dedicated to sales, though...

riv6672
Found these scans on an old thread here on KMC.
Guess it answers my Mephisto question...
http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/6253/299927-9_mephisto_vs_galactus_super.png

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/6253/299928-10_mephisto_vs_galactus_super.jpg

TheLordofMurder
Just for the sake of posting it:

riv6672
Neat!

krisblaze
As far as I know Galactus could potentially eat -everything-, so a definite yes on everything except maybe the speed-force and anything that's not necessarily a place but more of an abstract concept.

I'm not sure if he could eat mistress love or the lords of chaos and order.

leonidas
he can certainly consume stars--what is inconsistent is whether he can gain any power from doing it. logically, he should be able to. we also don't know if he was gaining power from devouring mephisto's world. it's the nourishment he gains that is the issue. he did actually FAIL to devour wraithworld and its black sun--the wraiths were a race of dark sorcerers. that leads me to think he likely couldn't consume dark force energy. not sure he could devour dormmy's realm either. he also had a lot of problems when he tried to consume the elders, but that was because death denied them entrance to her realm, iirc. not sure that would be a replicable situation in this thread.

riv6672
No one's trying to actively stop him in these cases.
Really great info on his consuming feats though, appreciate it!

DarkSaint85
IOW, Galactus is on the paleo-vegan diet.

Fussy mofo.

Magnon
Nah, Galactus' very role in the Universe requires that he cannot use other sources of nourishment than Life.

Both in the Mephisto scan and the Taa-II scan it is CLEARLY pointed out that he is consuming LIFE ENERGIES. Mephisto's realm contains souls and demonic life, Taa-II is filled with life of its own (said to contain entire ecosystems). But stars contain no life, thus Galactus is unable to devour them. Perfect consistency.

riv6672
Hmm!

basilisk
Wrong, it has been well established in canon that Galactus cannot consume stars. Just before he ate the Skrull homeworld he was desperately looking for an alternative so that no more civilizations would have to die by his hand. He tried his best to devour solar energy... and failed. Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Well, we have a case of inconsistent writing from marvel then...

Reed is never wrong as pertains to Galactus (and Galactus was going to eat everything during BCA)...

Marvel simply needs more consistent writing...

It might still be consistent. Reed said "probably consume the sun" after Taa 2 and battleworld. If Galactus was unsure of his limitations to the point where he actually gave it a try but failed, it is unlikely that Reed would know any more than Galactus himself about this area. So either Reed was wrong, or he said "probably" because he too was unsure.

Taa 2 is Galactus's own ship. It would make sense that he would store excess energy in a form consumable by him so he could reabsorb it in just such an emergency - it is even referred to as"his own living world". I don't think he could just absorb something like Thanos's gigantic Ark ship the same way - different energies involved.

Mephisto's realm still seemed to contain living energies based on what Galactus was doing.

Battleworld is just another world so nothing unusual there.

BCA Galactus was stated to be modified in some way (by the Celestial). Presumably he was absorbing energies in a way that regular Galactus can't. Some kind of limiter was removed.

As far as the question goes, I think he could absorb things where some sort of living energy is involved e.g. I think Mephisto's realm is tied to Mephisto's own life force in some way because he probably created it as an extension of himself which is why he is usually all-powerful there. Any similar realm could probably be absorbed, but I don't know if Dormammu's dark dimension or Surtur's realm are the same type of thing.

I don't think he could just absorb the microverse or negative zone any more than he can the normal universe. But he could absorb viable planets within them. Same for the Phantom Zone, except that I don't think it has planets at all so he probably couldn't do much.

The darkforce dimension and speedforce are probably incompatible forms of energy. I would have said no except for the Hyperstorm incident. Now that did seem inconsistent - hyperspace energy just doesn't seem like anything Galactus normally consumes.

Utrigita
Wrong, it has been well established in canon that Galactus cannot consume stars. Just before he ate the Skrull homeworld he was desperately looking for an alternative so that no more civilizations would have to die by his hand. He tried his best to devour solar energy... and failed.

Then Death appeared to him, and convinced him that it is his role to devour life and that he should just accept it.

This is a scan where Galactus tries to consume stellar energy, and the next page he fails miserably at it (unfortunately I was unable to find the follow-up scan) :

http://thisrecording.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/galactus1.jpg?w=1200

And this is a more recent scan of Galactus devouring Solar Energy,

http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Branlactus/media/Energy%20manipulation/Absorbing/SilverSurfer01of52011005.jpg.html

also the instances of Galactus devouring energy other the biosphere energy far surpasses the few times it has been suggested he can't.

leonidas
thumb up and it only makes sense since stars contain all the elements necessary for life to begin anywhere anyway.....

zom1967

http://thisrecording.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/galactus1.jpg?w=1200 After herc with infinite power and galactus helps defeat chaos god,in the next issue Surfer throws G into sol our sun.And cunsumes A billion years worth of it`s energy.that tells me yes he can feed on stars but gets more energy from planets that support life!

Magnon
Originally posted by zom1967
After herc with infinite power and galactus helps defeat chaos god,in the next issue Surfer throws G into sol our sun.And cunsumes A billion years worth of it`s energy.that tells me yes he can feed on stars but gets more energy from planets that support life!

See, that there might be a true inconsistency (assuming it really happened that way... I haven't read the issue). If so, I think it should just be ignored as writer error/cluelessness. Plenty of that going on with Marvel in recent years.

Galactus himself has said, after he failed to absorb solar energy, that IF he could "eat stars" he would never have to suffer from hunger again and he would never have to kill entire civilizations again. Galactus is not evil, he would not devour life-bearing planets if he didn't have to.. he would use the countless and countless of stars. Those are almost limitless in the universe, and are very easy to find! (You just have to open your eyes -- no Heralds needed.)

If we accepted the quoted inconsistency as a fact, we would have to conclude that Galactus IS evil, and kills billions of sentient beings just for funsies. Which of course makes no sense. Inefficiency is not a way to explain it away, either: if, nutrition-wise, "a billion years worth of the sun's energy" equals one planetary biosphere, there would still be enough non-inhabited solar systems in the universe to feed Galactus almost forever.

No, having Galactus eat solar energy is poor writing, showing lack of research about the character and his established canon, and the logic behind that canon. Such a change would change the entire character and the very POINT of the character. I'd rather stick to the logical, consistent, and well-established canon and ignore this one inconsistency.

Magnon
Originally posted by leonidas
thumb up and it only makes sense since stars contain all the elements necessary for life to begin anywhere anyway.....

It only makes sense if you want to turn Galactus into an ultimate voluntary mass-murderer.

"Darn, I feel sorry for those sentient little things.. I don't really *have* to kill anyone but I guess I'll just eat a couple of billions of them anyway 'cuz, dang, do they taste gooood!"

Insane Titan
So it's settled Galactus can pretty much eat anything thumb up

Magnon
Originally posted by Insane Titan
So it's settled Galactus can pretty much eat anything thumb up

Yeah, as long as it is living. thumb up

Utrigita
Yeah, as long as it is living. thumb up

Dark matter disagrees but w/e.

Golgo13
Just for the sake of posting it:

Cool.

leonidas
It only makes sense if you want to turn Galactus into an ultimate voluntary mass-murderer.

"Darn, I feel sorry for those sentient little things.. I don't really *have* to kill anyone but I guess I'll just eat a couple of billions of them anyway 'cuz, dang, do they taste gooood!"

nah, stars go on to ALLOW planets to thrive and hence, stars allow life to flourish. why would he want to go around destroying stars when it isn't necessary? many stars also have planets around them, so killing the star kills the planets as well.

fact is, you've seen he CAN devour stars for sustenance if he needs to, i think he prefers not to. and equating galactus with a murderer is faulty anyway. is a lion a murderer when it jumps into the midst of a pack of zebras? he's above caring about the denizens of the worlds he devours--we've seen it many many times.

eaebiakuya
Here is implied that Galactus consumed two stars: http://s238.photobucket.com/user/Branlactus/media/Energy%20manipulation/Nova_13_008.jpg.html

And still he wanted the planet. Imo Galactus can (and did) consume stars, but it dont give him much energy.

TheLordofMurder
So pending the writer, Reeds speculation on Galactus eatting the Sun was accurate...

Magnon
nah, stars go on to ALLOW planets to thrive and hence, stars allow life to flourish. why would he want to go around destroying stars when it isn't necessary? many stars also have planets around them, so killing the star kills the planets as well.

fact is, you've seen he CAN devour stars for sustenance if he needs to, i think he prefers not to. and equating galactus with a murderer is faulty anyway. is a lion a murderer when it jumps into the midst of a pack of zebras? he's above caring about the denizens of the worlds he devours--we've seen it many many times.

Galactus devouring stars IS a writer error.. it is in direct contradiction with what has been EXPLICITLY shown earliear and confirmed by Galactus himself. Him devouring stars also makes no sense with his earlier history and the point of the character.

Time and time again in the comic history we have seen a starving "Galactus Hungers!" -Galactus and he has been anxiously waiting for his Heralds to return and guide him to a nearest life-bearing planet. This while he has been surrounded by stars and rocky planetary systems without life on them. He cannot use those as energy source, otherwise he would have done so in critical moments when he is nearly dying to hunger.

No, Galactus eating stars is one thing I won't just accept as a retcon, because the retcon would lead to too many logical contradictions. It is a recent writer error showing cluelessness about the character, and should be treated as such and ignored. At least until Marvel comes up with a good explanation for it, and can somehow rationalize this completely new, character-changing situtation for the character (cosmic, neutral force of nature --> cosmic, evil mass-murderer).

TheLordofMurder
I just thought about another instance of Galactus feeding upon non-biospheric energies...

During the original Secret War, Galactus sucked Ultrons Fusion based energies (and as we all know, Suns are powered by Fusion) right out of him (sucks it into his finger):

riv6672
Maybe...its a matter of him being able to consume things he cant get sustenance from?

TheLordofMurder
Maybe...its a matter of him being able to consume things he cant get sustenance from?

Maybe...

The story never follows up on wether Ultrons energies were nourishing or not...

However given Reeds speculation on Galactus and what he was going to do to the Sun in preparation to battle the Beyonder, I think you can draw the conclusion that (as far as the writer of Secret Wars was concerned) Galactus can feed upon Fusion based energy...

@Magnon

I do agree with you that Galactus was originally written as having to feed upon living worlds only initially, but these are comics and things change over time (sadly enough)...

What I would like to see done in comics (and with Galactus specifically) is the addition of a bit more logic and consistency in the writing ala the Ultimate Universe...

Yes, the Ultimate Universe is fantasy as well, but it does feature a bit more logic than DC or 616 Marvel does...

Anyway, back to Galactus, they could write it so that he feeds upon living worlds because they are Carbon rich (and as we know, Carbon is essential to live as we know it); Carbon would be the key element Galactus requires in this senario...

Most stars (as most stars are Red Dwarfs and they are practically all Hydrogen and Helium) feature very little to no Carbon, so they are of no use to him; there are rare stars that have synthesized significant quanities of Carbon though...those stars would be capable of sustaining him.

Another thing they could do is what occurred in an alternate reality...

In that reality, Galactus went after worlds with life because those worlds possessed a Celestial Egg within it; life on those planets resulted from radiations emitted by the Celestial Egg at its core...

In that reality, Galactus's job was to control the Celestial population; he did this by feeding on the Celestial Egg at the planets core which destroyed the planet as a consequence...

They could make it to where the above is his job in 616, and where he could feed upon a star if need be, but he would use that as a last resort because controlling Celestial population was the number 1 priority...

Anyway, those are just my 2 cents...

TheLordofMurder
@basilik

During BCA, all the Black Celestial did was make Galactus's appetite insatiable...

Tiamut did nothing to alter what Galactus ate...

riv6672
I just meant in general, looking at all the examples thst have been given.
Much as i dislike Reed, i tend to give a lot of credence to his theories.

basilisk
Maybe...its a matter of him being able to consume things he cant get sustenance from? Exactly, that would be the simplest explanation. He no doubt has energy absorption abilities at least that of the Surfer, but probably the energy is of no use sustaining him.

I think he also absorbed the Prime Director of Galador who was an energy being, but that probably counts as living energy.

Don't planets only start forming during the early stages of solar evolution? So if he comes across mature stars with no planets he may as well eat the star anyway since it would be unlikely to get planets later on. Leave the other systems to ripen for the more juicy planets.

Also, if he takes the planets why not absorb the system's sun every single time for the extra energy? Again, not likely that the sun will ever develop a new set of planets.

No, having Galactus eat solar energy is poor writing, showing lack of research about the character and his established canon, and the logic behind that canon. Such a change would change the entire character and the very POINT of the character. I'd rather stick to the logical, consistent, and well-established canon and ignore this one inconsistency. I'd tend to agree here. One or two writers come along and make a simple but important plot mistake that contradicts previous continuity and messes with the established internal logic in an annoying way. That's Marvel though.

Of course, there was also that incident where he gave up on Wraithworld and tried to absorb the entire Black Sun. But maybe he was just doing it to attempt to neutralize the Wraithworld defenses at the source of their power, or he sensed the Black Sun was not a normal star and also harbored living energy (it was producing Deathwings and the whole system seemed to have a kind of malevolent sentience).

riv6672
Yeah the wraith World thing had a lot of wonky magic working, that one's really hard to call...

TheLordofMurder
@basilisk

Thats why they should base Galactus's eatting habits around Carbon; most stars and star systems are Carbon poor and wouldnt do much for him...

That would neatly explain the need for Heralds (there are ALOT of star systems to weed out) and add some logic in the process to why he does what he does...

And it would answer why he has consumed some stars for sustenance; those stars just happened to be Carbon rich...

basilisk
@basilisk

Thats why they should base Galactus's eatting habits around Carbon; most stars and star systems are Carbon poor and wouldnt do much for him...

That would neatly explain the need for Heralds (there are ALOT of star systems to weed out) and add some logic in the process to why he does what he does...

And it would answer why he has consumed some stars for sustenance; those stars just happened to be Carbon rich... Could make sense. But it might leave him a big loophole with his promises to Reed not to eat the earth! Never said anything about that sun...

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by basilisk
Could make sense. But it might leave him a big loophole with his promises to Reed not to eat the earth! Never said anything about that sun...

LoL!

Good point! thumb up

TheLordofMurder
Maybe Oxygen?

The Earth is rich in Oxygen, but the sun is Oxygen poor (as pertains to elemental abundance)...

Of course to play Devils Advocate against myself, Oxygen is not a requirement for life as there are anerobic bacteria that do just fine sans Oxygen...

basilisk
Maybe Oxygen?

The Earth is rich in Oxygen, but the sun is Oxygen poor (as pertains to elemental abundance)...

Of course to play Devils Advocate against myself, Oxygen is not a requirement for life as there are anerobic bacteria that do just fine sans Oxygen...

And I think oxygen comes from bigger stars which are probably less likely to have planets with life. But as you said, his eating habits might be explained by the different compositions of different types of stars.

...So there might be some sort of explanation at least. But it is still an annoying thing for the writers to suddenly add in after all this time.

TheLordofMurder
And I think oxygen comes from bigger stars which are probably less likely to have planets with life. But as you said, his eating habits might be explained by the different compositions of different types of stars.

...So there might be some sort of explanation at least. But it is still an annoying thing for the writers to suddenly add in after all this time.

Agreed...

thumb up

Magnon
Well, I don't have anything against Galactus expanding his diet from potentially life-bearing planets to other types of astronomical objects, in principle... as long as Marvel provided good explanations to all the questions it would rise, such as:

How and why did the nature of his cosmic hunger change? And why is he still after living planets, if there are other types of energy sources in abundance in the universe? Is it now a particular chemical element he requires for nutrition instead of the earlier, admittedly abstract, "life energy"? Earlier he HAD to eat life (or potential for life) in order to survive, even though he had occasional moral problems in doing so. He could NOT gain energy from anything else, in particular he could not utilize stars. Does he now kill life just because he enjoys it? Is he now pure evil as opposed to a neutral cosmic force of nature just doing what he has to? What does this mean to his role as a balance between life and death, keeping life in check in the universe? Him having to devour potentially life-bearing planets is what made him fulfill this role. Why would his powers change in a way that is inconsistent with his cosmic role?

This kind of change would in my opinion be too dramatic and illogical, and I think it would be easier to just ignore it as a writer error. Granted, I haven't read the issues where he has consumed stellar energy, so I don't know if there were some unusual factors involved in it.

Surtur
I thought he could feed on anything that has the potential to support life. Doesn't necessarily have to have life..merely the potential for it.

leonidas
Galactus devouring stars IS a writer error.. it is in direct contradiction with what has been EXPLICITLY shown earliear and confirmed by Galactus himself. Him devouring stars also makes no sense with his earlier history and the point of the character.

Time and time again in the comic history we have seen a starving "Galactus Hungers!" -Galactus and he has been anxiously waiting for his Heralds to return and guide him to a nearest life-bearing planet. This while he has been surrounded by stars and rocky planetary systems without life on them. He cannot use those as energy source, otherwise he would have done so in critical moments when he is nearly dying to hunger.

No, Galactus eating stars is one thing I won't just accept as a retcon, because the retcon would lead to too many logical contradictions. It is a recent writer error showing cluelessness about the character, and should be treated as such and ignored. At least until Marvel comes up with a good explanation for it, and can somehow rationalize this completely new, character-changing situtation for the character (cosmic, neutral force of nature --> cosmic, evil mass-murderer).

well......i guess you'll just have to continue not liking it then because like i said, you've seen it. and no, i won't say it was writer error. it was common knowledge that galactus ate planets since his inception. logically speaking, there is no way around it. apparently some writer thinks it's dumb that he can't feed on stars so has him feed on stars. but we've seen plenty of evidence that he can absorb all manner of energy so.....yeah. it's not a big deal to me and i guess you'll just have to go on not liking it or denying the evidence but we've seen on panel proof that yes, he can gain energy from stars.

Don't planets only start forming during the early stages of solar evolution? So if he comes across mature stars with no planets he may as well eat the star anyway since it would be unlikely to get planets later on. Leave the other systems to ripen for the more juicy planets.

Also, if he takes the planets why not absorb the system's sun every single time for the extra energy? Again, not likely that the sun will ever develop a new set of planets.

i wasn't referring to planetary formation. stars are abundant in carbon. supernovae are responsible for expelling and seeding the universe with nearly every heavy element in existence including those elements intrinsic in creating life. i mean cosmic dust has been proven to possess traces of organic compounds/matter. you've probably heard that we're all 'star stuff'. well, many scientists believe that is exactly 100% correct. maybe the writer who had g devour stars wasn't ignorant, maybe he simply KNEW his science and decided since stars contain all the material necessary for life to take root, (already broken down into their individual elements) why NOT just have him devour stars? imo, it only makes sense and should have been incorporated long ago into his history.

as for why he doesn't do it all the time? who knows? we can speculate as i did earlier and say he doesn't get as much of a high, i guess, or maybe by killing a star it keeps that star from casting out elements that will lead to more planets being created later. who knows? i mean, why does yellow sunlight give superman power and red sunlight not? there are a million questions in comics that when looked at through a microscope fail in the sense department. one thing that hasn't changed--galactus still devours planets as his main source of sustenance. for whatever reason, and, though it's clear to me he can (and has) absorbed nearly every type of energy there is, i don't see that changing any time soon.

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
I thought he could feed on anything that has the potential to support life. Doesn't necessarily have to have life..merely the potential for it.
Consume, yes, get energy from, dont think so.

Terryc250
Didnt Galactus use Hyperstorm's hyperspace as source of power to consume?

krisblaze
Originally posted by Surtur
Correct.

Planets that have the potential to sustain life will nourish him, regardless of whether or not any creatures actually live there.

eaebiakuya
I think Galactus just need something special, wich was never well explained, and it are only in SOME planets. We never know for sure what planets are good for Galactus. They are not choose by size, or by number of living beings in that...some are just good for him, and others dont.

I hope someday someone explain that. And even his role in universe was never well explained.

krisblaze
His role and capabilities have been consistently inconsistent.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by eaebiakuya
I think Galactus just need something special, wich was never well explained, and it are only in SOME planets. We never know for sure what planets are good for Galactus. They are not choose by size, or by number of living beings in that...some are just good for him, and others dont.

I hope someday someone explain that. And even his role in universe was never well explained.

They could do what they did in an alternate reality and put a big juicy Celestial Egg in the center of every planet with the potential to host life...

Radiation emitted from the egg stimulate organic compounds to cause life to emerge (assumming that the planet formed with sufficient quanities of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and the appropiate Trace Elements)...

Galactus's role would then be to consume the Celestial Egg (thereby destroying the host planet as a consequence) as a means of controlling Celestial population...

In this senario, Galactus could consume all forms of energy but concentrates on the Celestial Eggs to keep the universe in balance...

It could be written like that; it would make perfect sense, and nothing would need to be retconned...

riv6672
I've never heard of that scenario before!

Tar-Antado
I've never heard of that scenario before!

Beautifully rendered in Earth X.

Starrk
Galactus can consume and get energy from stars.

i.imgur.com/YBSvXwW.jpg

Magnon
well......i guess you'll just have to continue not liking it then because like i said, you've seen it. and no, i won't say it was writer error. it was common knowledge that galactus ate planets since his inception. logically speaking, there is no way around it. apparently some writer thinks it's dumb that he can't feed on stars so has him feed on stars. but we've seen plenty of evidence that he can absorb all manner of energy so.....yeah. it's not a big deal to me and i guess you'll just have to go on not liking it or denying the evidence but we've seen on panel proof that yes, he can gain energy from stars.

Yes, I have seen him apparently being able to feed on stars in some newer comics under some writers who may have not done their research properly. AND I have seen him consistently NOT being able to feed on stars ever since his introduction into comics; the matter of fact which has lasted systematically for decades and his entire story and character being built upon this fact.

Thus, I'm not denying anything. We have two CONTRADICTING scenarios. The recent Marvel writing has been extremely inconsistent, displaying contradictions upon contradictions, so I see no point in favouring the first of the above scenarios. Thus for now, I choose the one that is logical and consistent with his established history. Of course, time will tell if the first scenario is indeed just a writer error, or if Marvel will actually accept it as a retcon to the character.

There are so many continuity errors these days in Marvel comics that there's no point in immediately accepting all of them as retcons. Sometimes, mistakes are just mistakes. One writer making a mistake doesn't mean that all the writers will continue to make the same mistake, or accept it as a retcon.

This reminds me of another writer error, back when Rogue's absorption powers suddenly, inexplicably didn't work on Colossus in his armored form. (This is kinda reversed scenario of Galactus's consuming powers WORKING on stars...). This allowed Rogue and Colossus have a brief fling. However, it was well established by that time that Rogue's powers actually worked on Peter's armored form... we just had a case of improper research and writer error. In later stories, this error was simply ignored, and Rogue powers continued to work in the established way: being able to absorb armored Colossus.

krisblaze
^your example is off, it was a push towards greater control for rogue.

Magnon
Galactus SURROUNDED by stars, gas giants, rocky planets, moons, ... and dying to hunger because there's nothing there he can consume:

https://marswillsendnomore.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/fantastic-four-257-003.jpg

riv6672
Well that goes back to consume and get nourishment from.
I think from everything put out by folks, thats a key difference.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.