VHS v. DVDs v. BluRays

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

CouchTomato86
In high school, my sis and I replaced our VHS collection with DVDs. I'm always concerned about being up to date. My DVD collection was/is huge and I only buy BluRays now. I only went back and purchased a couple of repeat movies on Blu Ray that I already own on DVD.

This territory seems strangely familiar. I get all my favorite movies linked to a device (VCR, DVD player, PS3+BluRay players) only to have another breakthrough in technology empty my pockets after it runs out of style.

I'm a huge Netflix fan, and my family and I average 2-3 DVDs a week and 2 streaming titles/person (5 family household). Streaming is the future, my question is how close before it makes BluRays irrelevant. I'm thinking about holding off on a couple of purchases.

Your thoughts?

\\W//
I think it already is irrelevant. Sometimes I will still watch old VHS tapes and DVD's though, maybe because it reminds me of my childhood or a simpler time or something.

the real question is, what will make streaming irrelevant?

Q99
Originally posted by CouchTomato86

I'm a huge Netflix fan, and my family and I average 2-3 DVDs a week and 2 streaming titles/person (5 family household). Streaming is the future, my question is how close before it makes BluRays irrelevant. I'm thinking about holding off on a couple of purchases.

Your thoughts?

Streaming is unlikely to make physical storage irrelevant due to bandwidth limits and such. BluRay will remain a better place for extras and such as well.

Btw, I still use DVD a lot because, well, lots of stuff is still being released just on DVD. Not big movies, but plenty of TV shows for example, and independent productions can handle DVD well nowadays.

Esau Cairn
I still prefer blu-Ray to downloads or streaming.
I'm a big fan of the bonus features like making of, alternate or deleted scenes & bloopers.
Many people miss the point of a lot of movies or claim lousy storylines when they don't realise they've watched a modified version.

quanchi112
Bluray. How is there even a comparison ?

Shinobi Popcorn
Out of the three, I'd say DVD is my favorite. I like being able to jump to a scene, and I can play it on the most equipment.

But after that I would pick VHS for the nostalgia factor. I grew up with SP and SLP, counters, and tracking.

I like blu-ray for HD, but I prefer only to watch newer things on the media. For example, The Muppets and Muppets Most Wanted look great on blu-ray. But I prefer The Muppet Movie on DVD because it softens the picture.

Star428
Blu-rays by far are my favorites.

Flyattractor
Poor old laser-disc...Ignored again.

Jmanghan
No one cares about laser discs, they were ****ing huge.

StiltmanFTW
DVDs for me.

BeyonderGod
BluRays=DVDs>VHS

Dude111
Good for you!

I love VHS..... VHS is analog... Its natural and to me is beautiful smile

I try to get as many movies as i love in thier original analog formats as thats how I remember seeing them in the 80s and its how I love them! (Thier original formats)

Analogue is beautiful smile

Simong
I think there will always be collectors who like physical media over streaming. I prefer to hold something in my hand but I understand the convenience of streaming. I think Streaming will continue to grow but hopefully physical media remain around for a long while yet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.