Yoda vs Luke Skywalker (sabers only)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WildBantha88
Who is the greatest lightsaber duelist in the Sw mythos. Is it Luke or Yoda?

Stigma
Going with Luke, but Yoda is indeed a close second.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by WildBantha88
Who is the greatest lightsaber duelist in the Sw mythos.
Mace or Sidious. Anyway, Luke.

Stigma
Hmm, Sidious was bested in sabers by non-prime Luke and Yoda (according to RotS script). He is a close 3rd/4th best IMO, though.

FreshestSlice
Luke was being helped by Leia tbh, and he still isn't the best in the mythos by the time of FotJ. One of the best, sure, but not the best. As for RotS's script, haven't seen it, but I'm all for seeing it.

Stigma
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Luke was being helped by Leia tbh, and he still isn't the best in the mythos by the time of FotJ. One of the best, sure, but not the best. As for RotS's script, haven't seen it, but I'm all for seeing it.
Leia only helped him in the force part of the fight. Sabers was all Luke.

The script you'll find online, no prob. I think parts of it where posted on the forums too, but long ago so it would involve some digging up.

To be absolutely honest, all three are the absolute top tier in sabers.

WildBantha88
Yoda disarmed Sidious and it fits in with what we see in the film. So if you think Sidious>Luke then it would make sense that Yoda is also better than Luke. As far as Mace goes he can't compete with them in a serious contest and expect to win without a serious Vaapad boost

Stigma
@ Bantha, I'm not sure if your post was directed at me?

I think in sabers Yoda > Sidious, Luke > Sidious, and finally Luke > Yoda, but the differences are minute.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Stigma
Leia only helped him in the force part of the fight. Sabers was all Luke.

Nope, Leia allowed Luke's mind and allowed him to focus more. If Luke was even marginally better than Sidious in sabers during DE, he should have dismissed many of his opponents that he struggled with shortly afterwards with minimal ease. But he doesn't. As to the rest, okay, and yeah they are.

Emperordmb
Luke wins this one.

Angelalex242
GM Luke will beat Yoda. Mostly because he's good enough to outlast him. Yoda can't keep up that Ataru barrage forever, and Yoda's not good enough to disarm Luke. A stalemate works in Luke's favor.

ares834
Nope, Leia allowed Luke's mind and allowed him to focus more.

Have any proof?

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ares834
Have any proof?
"As Leia's intensity continues to unlock unexpected resources in Luke...."

That means, Leia was unlocking resources before, that's how you continue things. You have to start them first.

ares834
When is that stated?

However, if it comes after word then she clearly was not amping Luke during the duel, as seen in the audio drama, as it isn't clarified when she began.

Lord Stark
Luke is the slightly superior duelist.

Angelalex242
Unless Yoda has a good answer for Luke's Soresu letting Yoda wear himself out, I don't see how Yoda takes this.

In a battle between mostly equals, the guy with more stamina wins, and Luke's style takes a lot less energy.

Lord Stark
^Even if it didn't Luke has way more stamina. Prime Yoda vs. Luke would be a very interesting fight though considering Yoda had 'lost a step' since his prime and he had an inferior TK.

FreshestSlice
When is that stated?

However, if it comes after word then she clearly was not amping Luke during the duel, as seen in the audio drama, as it isn't clarified when she began.
Except it says continues. That means she had to start at a certain point. During said duel. Luke didn't realise Leia was aiding him, which is also said. Either way, Luke wasn't a saber god after DE, he certainly wasn't one during DE. That said, he certainly is during FotJ.

ares834
Except it says continues. That means she had to start at a certain point. During said duel. Luke didn't realise Leia was aiding him, which is also said.

Just because it says "continues" that does not mean that she began to do so during the duel. It could have happened after as well. And the audio drama makes it clear she wasn't amping him until after the duel.

FreshestSlice
Just because it says "continues" that does not mean that she began to do so during the duel. It could have happened after as well. And the audio drama makes it clear she wasn't amping him until after the duel.
Dude, she's glowing during the fight.

Angelalex242
How much better is Prime Yoda then ROTS (or even TPM) Yoda?

Theoretically, TPM Yoda>ROTS Yoda, cause he's a few years younger.

ares834
Dude, she's glowing during the fight.

It's the shitty art. Characters "glow" through out the series.

And, while that may have been the original intention, the audio drama makes it absolutely clear that she did not amp Luke until after the duel.

FreshestSlice
Nah, Luke gets smacked down. She starts glowing, Luke cuts his hand off. She closes her eyes and everything. Luke and Palpatine are not glowing during the fight. Leia doesn't amp Luke after the fight either, at that point, she's supposed to be linking herself and Luke with Anakin to cut Palpatine off from the Force. Not to mention, doesn't Luke rediscover most of the lost saber forms after DE?

ares834
After the fight she adds her powers to Luke to help him make Sidious lose control of his force storms. She "adds" her powers to his, but only after Luke has defeated Sheev in a duel. This is all clearly stated in the audio drama. I'm going to take the clear statements over your interpretation of some ambiguous lines and shitty art.

FreshestSlice
That's not what I said. Luke is not amped at any point during the fight or after. However, while Luke is fighting Palpatine, Leia is unclouding his mind and allowing Luke to tap into his own potential. That's also said. Luke went from getting his ass handed to him, to cutting Palpatine's hand off. All with Leia's help.

ares834
Helping Luke focus is, for all intents and purposes, an amp. That said, she isn't helping during the duel. Afterwords, she adds her power to his. Before hand, she "unclouds" his mind freeing him from the dark side. During the duel, nada. She just watches in amazement.

FreshestSlice
How do you watch with your eyes closed, head bent, and yourself glowing? You can think what you want, though. We obviously aren't getting anywhere with this.

ares834
Like I said the art is shit. Multiple times we see characters glow.

From the audio drama, "But we can Luke. We can do it. That's what the holocron meant. Let me add my power to yours."

Seems to be clear that Leia wasn't helping Luke until after the duel.

Angelalex242
Luke's DE performance isn't at issue here, because if all Leia did was 'unlock his potential' and 'help him concentrate', then Luke achieved that potential on his own at the point we're pitting him against Yoda.

In short, the amp Leia gave him didn't do anything for him he can't do by himself now.

Sinious
I think what Freshest said makes sense. love

Stigma
Luke went from getting his ass handed to him, to cutting Palpatine's hand off.
The first fight happened on Byss, a Dark Side nexus, so advantage to Palpatine.

The next battle was on neutral ground IIRC.

Helping Luke focus is, for all intents and purposes, an amp. That said, she isn't helping during the duel. Afterwords, she adds her power to his. Before hand, she "unclouds" his mind freeing him from the dark side. During the duel, nada. She just watches in amazement.
thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.