Top 5 Most Powerful Countries

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
Rules: America is #1 because freedom. Enjoy.

Bentley
America is not a country, but a continent.

The United States of America is conformed by several states. But I'd argue they'd be the most powerful (not "America"wink.

S_W_LeGenD
As per National Power Index:

1. USA
2. China
3. France
4. UK
5. Germany

Source: http://www.whichcountry.co/which-country-is-most-powerful-in-the-world/

As per military capability:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. UK

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/11-most-powerful-militaries-in-the-world-2014-4

On Economic terms:

1. USA
2. China
3. Japan
4. Germany
5. France

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/globalbusiness/9765161/The-worlds-most-powerful-economies.html?frame=2436289

IMO:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. France

Omega Vision
Russia has volatile power. Nuclear weapons are a poor way of ranking nations because it's an asset that's effectively impossible to use except at the risk of the nation's own ruin, be it through nuclear retaliation or isolation and ostracizing. Except Germany and maybe India, every nation mentioned so far has the capacity to retaliate against every other nation through nuclear means (idk how long the range of India's missiles are, but I have the feeling they lack the ability to strike targets in the US, UK, France, and European Russia since not too long ago they made a big deal about finally having a missile that put them in range of the entirety of China), so we can probably set nukes aside. If you do, you'll see that Russia is hopelessly outclassed by the likes of China and the USA in terms of economic, conventional military, and soft power (diplomatic) capability. I don't think there's much room for debate about the top three powers: USA, then China, then Russia.
Originally posted by Bentley
America is not a country, but a continent.

The United States of America is conformed by several states. But I'd argue they'd be the most powerful (not "America"wink.
You nitpick like someone who isn't American. uhuh

Bentley
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Russia has volatile power. Nuclear weapons are a poor way of ranking nations because it's an asset that's effectively impossible to use except at the risk of the nation's own ruin, be it through nuclear retaliation or isolation and ostracizing. Except Germany and maybe India, every nation mentioned so far has the capacity to retaliate against every other nation through nuclear means (idk how long the range of India's missiles are, but I have the feeling they lack the ability to strike targets in the US, UK, France, and European Russia since not too long ago they made a big deal about finally having a missile that put them in range of the entirety of China), so we can probably set nukes aside. If you do, you'll see that Russia is hopelessly outclassed by the likes of China and the USA in terms of economic, conventional military, and soft power (diplomatic) capability. I don't think there's much room for debate about the top three powers: USA, then China, then Russia.

You nitpick like someone who isn't American. uhuh

I just need to sound foreign every once in a while.

AsbestosFlaygon
Not sure if India really belongs in the top 5, considering the living conditions of the average Indian.

USA is, for sure, the most powerful country in the world currently.
The only country I can think of that has a chance to surpass them economically (if possible) is China.

IMO

1.USA
2.China
3.Russia
4.Germany
5.Japan/France

Omega Vision
In terms of global power, India has great potential but low actual clout. Things may change with Narenda Modi at the helm. He's vowed to take on corruption and make India a more active player in international relations. Right now India's main card is that it can tip the scales for either side in a contest between any of the main great powers. For instance if America were to ever become an isolationist country and disengage from the Asia-Pacific region, an alliance between India and Japan (which is rapidly becoming a reality even now) would be enough to deter China from pushing its weight too hard.

Bentley
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
5.Japan/France

Japan? They surely piss of France when it comes to money, but their diplomatic weight and lack of army is discouraging for picturing them as all that powerful.

DarthAnt66
I'm curious on why people are putting France as the head superpower of Europe and not England. Any reasons why?

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I'm curious on why people are putting France as the head superpower of Europe and not England. Any reasons why?
The 'head superpower' of Europe is actually Germany, economy-wise.

marwash22
USA
Wakanda
Kahndaq
Genosha
Latveria

Tzeentch
Daaaamn it, that was my answer too, but I couldn't recall the Mutant country.

Genosha. thumb up

Omega Vision
Economically, the UK is #3 in Europe, but if current trends continue the UK will overtake France soon and (possibly) Germany as well.

Militarily, the UK is still top dog in Europe, and thanks to its special relationship with the USA and its position as head of the Commonwealth of Nations, it wields considerable diplomatic influence.

Digi
Rules: America is #1 because freedom. Enjoy.

So the criteria is power, but freedom makes it #1? Smacks of needless patriotism, and it confuses the criteria. I have no idea what you're going for here.

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
As per National Power Index:

1. USA
2. China
3. France
4. UK
5. Germany

Source: http://www.whichcountry.co/which-country-is-most-powerful-in-the-world/

As per military capability:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. UK

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/11-most-powerful-militaries-in-the-world-2014-4

On Economic terms:

1. USA
2. China
3. Japan
4. Germany
5. France

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/globalbusiness/9765161/The-worlds-most-powerful-economies.html?frame=2436289

IMO:

1. USA
2. Russia
3. China
4. India
5. France

Hooray for sources, and data to backs whatever claims you're making! Anything less is just jabber jawing.

Mindset
I just need to sound foreign every once in a while. laughing out loud

Star428
Digi: I'm pretty sure OP was just kidding with his "America is #1 because of freedom" comment. Lighten up a little. He's undeniably right about the United States being at the top (no other country even comes close militarily) but I'm pretty sure he actually knows that it's not because of freedom.

Digi
Originally posted by Star428
Digi: I'm pretty sure OP was just kidding with his "America is #1 because of freedom" comment. Lighten up a little. He's undeniably right about the United States being at the top (no other country even comes close militarily) but I'm pretty sure he actually knows that it's not because of freedom.

I've lived in the Midwest my entire life. Statements like that aren't automatically kidding. You're probably right, but it still wouldn't hurt to have established criteria first. As it is, SWL's post is the only to break it into identifiable and measurable variables.

Omega Vision
Real red-blooded conservatives often sound indistinguishable from liberal satirists.

krisblaze
Human Development Index (HDI). This measures life expectancy, education and income. There are also some rankings that add in economic and gender equality.

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Switzerland
4. Netherlands
5. USA

When adjusted for social inequality,

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Netherlands.
4. Switzerland
5. Germany
28. USA (WTF guys?)

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Not sure if India really belongs in the top 5, considering the living conditions of the average Indian.

USA is, for sure, the most powerful country in the world currently.
The only country I can think of that has a chance to surpass them economically (if possible) is China.

IMO

1.USA
2.China
3.Russia
4.Germany
5.Japan/France

You won't rank India because of living conditions but you rank China and Russia? big grin

Tzeentch
Originally posted by krisblaze
Human Development Index (HDI). This measures life expectancy, education and income. There are also some rankings that add in economic and gender equality.

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Switzerland
4. Netherlands
5. USA

When adjusted for social inequality,

1. Norway
2. Australia
3. Netherlands.
4. Switzerland
5. Germany
28. USA (WTF guys?)
Neither of these metrics are related to power. 313

krisblaze
Another interesting ranking, the Soft Power ranking. This measures "standard of government, diplomatic infrastructure, cultural output, capacity for education and appeal to business, the list is calculated using around 50 factors that indicate the use of soft power, including the number of cultural missions, Olympic medals, the quality of a country's architecture and business brands" - From Wiki

1. Germany
2. UK
3. America
4. France
5. Japan

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Neither of these metrics are related to power. 313
Power of purchase or whatever it's called uhuh

China's much, much richer than Norway or the Netherlands, but each Norwegian can buy as much as ten Chinese stick out tongue

Mindset
Sorry, commie, but America is number 1 in power.

If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking Chitauri.

Bentley
Originally posted by Mindset
Sorry, commie, but America is number 1 in power.

If it weren't for us, you'd be speaking Chitauri.

Pft, if it wasn't for France you'd be singing God save the Queen ahah

Mindset
Pft, if it wasn't for France you'd be singing God save the Queen ahah France has provided the world with croissants, that's it.

Bentley
Originally posted by Mindset
France has provided the world with croissants, that's it.

And cheese, don't forget cheese.

Kris, tell the norse to invent a ranking based on cheese and quality of life/food.

Tzeentch
America would crush that ranking.

All our food is just stolen from everyone else' best shit.

krisblaze
Kris, tell the norse to invent a ranking based on cheese and quality of life/food.
There's a bread-ranking and we won that.

Bentley
Originally posted by Tzeentch
America would crush that ranking.

All our food is just stolen from everyone else' best shit.

Ha! Your country makes our rotten cheese illegal, you need more food gone bad (in a good way) to even compete.

I agree that you guys have access to excellent food all around.

There's a bread-ranking and we won that.

Put a link to that. Bread is serious stuff.

krisblaze
Put a link to that. Bread is serious stuff.

http://bit.ly/1C6KjIH

Bentley
http://bit.ly/1C6KjIH

I googled bread and I didn't see Norway anywhere thumb down

Omega Vision
France sucks. Belgian people are better in every conceivable way, even the Flemish pigs. uhuh

Vive l'accent Belge!

Bentley
Originally posted by Omega Vision
France sucks. Belgian people are better in every conceivable way, even the Flemish pigs. uhuh

Vive l'accent Belge!

Is this a subtle belgian joke? I suppose you're aware of the existence of belgian jokes mmm

Omega Vision
Yeah, I'm aware, you French fascist. You've been oppressing my people for too long, stealing our chocolate, our waffles, our chocolate coated waffles, and taking credit for pomme frites. sneer

Bentley
We gave you credit for the beer! With that one thing you can fight each other in both wallon and flamand biscuits

Star428
Pft, if it wasn't for France you'd be singing God save the Queen ahah

...and if it wasn't for America, the Nazis and/or Japs would most likely rule the world today. smile

France sure didn't help out during WW2. They surrendered at the first sign of a fight. LOL.

Tzeentch
Oh god.

krisblaze
...and if it wasn't for America, the Nazis and/or Japs would most likely rule the world today. smile

France sure didn't help out during WW2. They surrendered at the first sign of a fight. LOL.
You don't actually believe this, right?

Bentley

Mmmmh... I'm going to go with you kidding.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.