Chris Kyle

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time Immemorial
Old news but legends never die.

I'm heartbroken the way this guy died.

Lord Lucien
The guy gets nothing when it happens, but a movie gets made about him suddenly he's some sort of war hero or something.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The guy gets nothing when it happens, but a movie gets made about him suddenly he's some sort of war hero or something.

Usually thats how it goes. You act like this is something new.

Lord Lucien
I'm just that old school.

Lestov16

Um, TIME magazine put him on the cover and gave him a full article when he died. And American Sniper was a popular book far before the film was announced. I know because I own a copy of it. It's not like Chris Kyle is just becoming famous.

Robtard
Americans like their films more

Lestov16
This is true. I will admit that I own the copy, but have yet to read it....

Time Immemorial
Read it an let me know what you think. This guy is badass.

Lestov16
I read the Time article about him and indeed he is. So sad that he went out trying help others.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Lestov16
Um, TIME magazine put him on the cover and gave him a full article when he died. And American Sniper was a popular book far before the film was announced. I know because I own a copy of it. It's not like Chris Kyle is just becoming famous. How can he? He's dead.

Time Immemorial
Movie has made $90 million by Saturday night $100-110 million for opening weekend.

dadudemon
I read that Chris Kyle was a liar about some of his exploits. So much so that he lost a civil suit to Jesse Ventura because he claimed Ventura punched him (but he didn't).

This makes me skeptical of Chris Kyle. I also do not want to praise him because of some of the racist things he said about Arabs.

Edit - I should note that I don't really admire people that boast about killing others.

Robtard
Ventura is a known assbag though

What Ventura should have done, after winning the lawsuit to prove his point, given the money back to the widow/son. He's apparently been 86'd from all military events

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard

What Ventura should have done, after winning the lawsuit to prove his point, given the money back to the widow/son.

I am unsure if the money was paid out because the article just says Ventura won the case (and, as you know, civil suit wins do not mean you automatically get the money).

Also, Ventura should have given all the money back and then punched Chris Kyle, anyway. lol

He's apparently been 86'd from all military events

He's...uh...not been the nicest guy, ever, when it comes to the US Military.

Lestov16
http://www.badassoftheweek.com/chriskyle.html

yes

Time Immemorial

What Ventura should have done, after winning the lawsuit to prove his point, given the money back to the widow/son. He's apparently been 86'd from all military events

Agreed, Ventura is a douche. He went after his family after Kyle had passed.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by dadudemon

Also, Ventura should have given all the money back and then punched Chris Kyle, anyway. lol

Kyle had already been killed before, Ventura is a total prick.

Lestov16
https://storify.com/RaniaKhalek/american-sniper-chris-kyle-in-his-own-words

Shots fired....

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lestov16
https://storify.com/RaniaKhalek/american-sniper-chris-kyle-in-his-own-words

Shots fired....

Some of the whining on that site is just stupid. I saw the same scene they did and got an entirely different perspective (about the man, his family, and his boy). I saw a family that was torn between giving off intel on insurgents and an EXTREMELY angry and abusive US Military busting down their doors, at gunpoint, yelling at them, physically abusing them, etc. They clearly did not watch the same film I did. Eastwood did a good job of capturing how brutal and *ssholish the US Military could be in Iraq. All that man and his family wanted to do was be left alone and live a normal life. His son died because he decided to give up information to the people currently pointing guns in his face.

What I saw was Iraqi people fighting and killing each other as well as them fighting and killing Americans. The boy being tortured and killed to death was not an isolated incident. The other scene which shows many body parts from what appears to be a torture-house was not isolated, either. It was war. It was shit. It was scary.

Also, that site seemed to gloss over the part where Kyle said he was glad he killed those harming Americans and the people loyal to the new Iraqi government. Oh, what's that? That doesn't fit their agenda that Kyle was fighting for two nations? Sure, Kyle has a clear ignorant bias towards Americans but that's to be expected from a member of the military because they are literally brainwashed (systematically) to believe those things to their core. This is necessary to keep their operations running as efficiently as possible (if you have a bunch of soldiers, in a combat zone, constantly questioning their orders and what they are doing there, you're going to have a bad time).

None of this, however, justifies some of the bullshit Kyle said about Muslims or Kyle's exaggerations and lies about his accomplishments. Just pointing out that bullshit coming from that site, is all.

Time Immemorial
Liam Nessen made his millions off his movies killing bad guys and destruction and he has the audacity to talk shit about this movie.

****ing hypocrite.

Guess he should not have opened his stupid mouth, cause its biting him in the ass.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/3-firearm-supplier-calls-boycott-neeson-article-1.2083896

BackFire
How did he talk shit about American Sniper? He simply criticized the spread of guns in America, no?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Liam Nessen made his millions off his movies killing bad guys and destruction and he has the audacity to talk shit about this movie.

****ing hypocrite.

Guess he should not have opened his stupid mouth, cause its biting him in the ass.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/movies/3-firearm-supplier-calls-boycott-neeson-article-1.2083896
He wasn't talking about American Sniper.

And I think he's right, whether it's hypocritical of him to say so or not, he's right that there are too many guns in America.

I come from an area where everyone has guns. Literally everyone. Most of them know how to keep guns, but the 10% or so who are reckless and go hunting blind-drunk or get arrested having shot their ceiling during an argument with their wife also tend to be the ones who have ten times as many guns as anyone else around.

I have no problem in saying that having a gun shouldn't be a civil right, it should be an earned privilege, like being a notary public or flying a plane. Because here's the thing: the majority of gun owners will be smart and stable enough to earn that privilege, while it might keep out at least some of the crazed, reckless minority. The problem is that a lot of gunowners have so enshrined a dubious interpretation of the Second Amendment that they won't even talk about restricting firearms.

Edit: For an example of what type of area Niceville, Florida is, I've talked to Fish and Wildlife guys who've arrested people who were carrying AK-47s and SKSs, not because of the weapons themselves, but because they were trying to hunt whitetail deer with them.

Robtard
"There's too many f---ing guns out there, especially in America" Neeson, who became a U.S. citizen in 2009, told the Gulf News at the "Taken 3" premiere in Dubai last week in the wake of the Charlie Hebdo massacre in Paris.

"Every week now, we're picking up a newspaper and seeing, 'Yet another few kids have been killed in schools,'" the 62-year-old actor added. -end snip

Nothing he said is overly crazy or for the most part untrue

AsbestosFlaygon
Yet again, another attack by conservative rednecks against an opinion of an actor.
It's not even an opinion, it's a fact.
It's too easy to own guns in the US. The prohibition laws are too lax. Many owners don't even know how to fire a gun or reload properly.

Guns are a privilege. You have to earn the right to own one.
Just like when you need to learn how to drive properly to earn a driver's license.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by BackFire
How did he talk shit about American Sniper? He simply criticized the spread of guns in America, no?

He complains about guns in America while at the same time his biggest films involve him killing people with gunslaughing out loud

Tzeentch
Because everyone knows movies and real life are the same thing. laughing out loud

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Because everyone knows movies and real life are the same thing. laughing out loud

Oh I forgot people are not sheep and not easily influenced in this world by what they see on a screen.laughing out loud

Tzeentch
Are you?

BackFire
He complains about guns in America while at the same time his biggest films involve him killing people with gunslaughing out loud

Yes, and I'm sure in your mind that makes him a grand hypocrite. But where is this American Sniper bashing?

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by BackFire
Yes, and I'm sure in your mind that makes him a grand hypocrite. But where is this American Sniper bashing?

It does make him one.

Time Immemorial
Are you?

Quit being a retard

Quincy
Retard is a really uncool word to use as an insult like that.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Quincy
Retard is a really uncool word to use as an insult like that.

Cry about it

jaden101
He'll never be as bad ass as Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart.

Quincy
Cry about it

Well I'm certainly not going to cry over it, but it's never beneficial to an argument when someone uses vocabulary like that. Just a friendly "hey man, woah."

But that's cool too, though. This demeanor you've worked hard to cultivate.

Time Immemorial
The murder trial for Kris Kyle started today.

RIP

Robtard
Going on the premise that the guy who shot Kyle was diagnosed previously with a medical mental condition, he won't get the death penalty nor serve time in prison, likely spend his days in a mental institution. Edit: Forgot it's Texas, this guy is doomed

Really, who the **** takes a mentally unstable person to a gun range, just poor judgment there.

Time Immemorial
Going on the premise that the guy who shot Kyle was diagnosed previously with a medical mental condition, he won't get the death penalty nor serve time in prison, likely spend his days in a mental institution. Edit: Forgot it's Texas, this guy is doomed

Really, who the **** takes a mentally unstable person to a gun range, just poor judgment there.

You sound mad.

Robtard
You sound mad.

At what?

jaden101
At what?

That nobody has taken YOU to a gun range.

Robtard
So we can safely assume that everyone I know has better judgment than Chris Kyle

jaden101
Yes.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by jaden101
That nobody has taken YOU to a gun range.

Yea

Star428
Hopefully, it won't take too long for this movie to come out on dvd/Blu-ray. There aren't any movie theaters near me that I feel safe going to.

As for gun ownership being a "privilege", I'm sorry but that's horseshit. It's a friggin' red, white, and blue American right. Period. I think some of you need to seriously reread the Constitution. After reading it, if u still feel the same way then you should get your eyes checked and read it again after getting glasses. LMAO@ "you have to earn the right to own a gun". As someone who takes great pride in the rights we Americans have that preposterous statement is deeply offensive to me.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Star428
There aren't any movie theaters near me that I feel safe going to. Why do you feel unsafe at the movies, out of curiosity?

Star428
Why do you feel unsafe at the movies, out of curiosity?

It's just that the closest theater is probably 15-20 miles away from me (I live on the outskirts of a small city) and it's in an area that I don't feel safe going to.

I really hated having to wait so many months to watch Man of Steel after it was released.

Impediment
Does anyone know if the murderer suffered from other mental illnesses other than PTSD?

Lord Lucien
Murderitis.

Mindset
Murderitis. Omg, I have that too!

Time Immemorial
So we can safely assume that everyone I know has better judgment than Chris Kyle

You sound like a butthurt old man that he tried to do something nice for a veteran and its his fault the guy shot him in the back.

Time Immemorial
Why do you feel unsafe at the movies, out of curiosity?

Did you miss the times people have gone into movie theaters and shot people in cold blood? Or the schools?

Tzeentch
Have you missed the times people have walked/driven down the street and shot people in cold blood? Happens everyday.

Time Immemorial
Have you missed the times people have walked/driven down the street and shot people in cold blood? Happens everyday.

I feel better having a gun.

Today I sold something very expesive on Craigslist. I had my gun on me. Why? So I know I can handle a situation of it arises in case the person shows up looking to rob or kill like many do on Craigslist.

Guns in the right hands of people is the way to go.

Robtard
You sound like a butthurt old man that he tried to do something nice for a veteran and its his fault the guy shot him in the back.

Listen, I watched the movie and I commend him for taking the time to try and help physically/mentally wounded vets.

But taking a mentally compromised and unstable man to a gun range is not a good idea, as we saw. It was poor judgment and no, I didn't say or imply that it was Kyle's fault he was murdered. Edit: Though this could change, depending on what facts come out of the trial

I also find it odd that any sort of negative justified critic of Kyle is seen as some sort unacceptable affront.

-Pr-
Listen, I watched the movie and I commend him for taking the time to try and help physically/mentally wounded vets.

But taking a mentally compromised and unstable man to a gun range is not a good idea, as we saw. It was poor judgment and no, I didn't say or imply that it was Kyle's fault he was murdered. Edit: Though this could change, depending on what facts come out of the trial

I also find it odd that any sort of negative justified critic of Kyle is seen as some sort unacceptable affront.

Yeah, it's not the best judgement.

====

Also, you have to remember that Liam Neeson is Irish. We see guns completely differently to how a lot of Americans do. Movies are movies. Real life is different.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Impediment
Does anyone know if the murderer suffered from other mental illnesses other than PTSD?

he doesn't even suffer from PTSD from what I have been reading

Time Immemorial

Kyle did not know this kid was off his rocker. Kyle had PTSD, he was fit to use a gun. Happens to be this kid was a FCKING lunatic.

Who thinks they are going to get shot in the back while trying helping someone.

NemeBro
How would taking someone to a gun range help them with their PTSD?

Robtard
Kyle did not know this kid was off his rocker. Kyle had PTSD, he was fit to use a gun. Happens to be this kid was a FCKING lunatic.

Who thinks they are going to get shot in the back while trying helping someone.

According to Routh's mother, her son had been in and out of VA hospitals for a couple years, showing no signs of progress with his mental problems, why she approached Kyle as a last ditch effort.

Taking that into account, Kyle should have maybe taken Routh to, I don't know, a fair, to dinner, a movie, a petting zoo or pretty much any place that didn't involve having guns all around. At least the first time out, to get a feel with how messed up Routh was. Like I said, case of poor judgment.

Mindset
Originally posted by NemeBro
How would taking someone to a gun range help them with their PTSD? Immersion therapy.

Seems like a great idea to me. What could go wrong?

Time Immemorial
According to Routh's mother, her son had been in and out of VA hospitals for a couple years, showing no signs of progress with his mental problems, why she approached Kyle as a last ditch effort.

Taking that into account, Kyle should have maybe taken Routh to, I don't know, a fair, to dinner, a movie, a petting zoo or pretty much any place that didn't involve having guns all around. At least the first time out, to get a feel with how messed up Routh was. Like I said, case of poor judgment.

It's poor judgment to throw rocks at police but hell, people do that and get shot.

Robtard
It's poor judgment to throw rocks at police but hell, people do that and get shot.

It is and they shouldn't be

So what have we learned today:

1) Kyle used poor judgment and got shot
2) Crazy homeless man used poor judgment and got shot

Star428
Originally posted by dadudemon
Also, that site seemed to gloss over the part where Kyle said he was glad he killed those harming Americans and the people loyal to the new Iraqi government. Oh, what's that? That doesn't fit their agenda that Kyle was fighting for two nations? Sure, Kyle has a clear ignorant bias towards Americans but that's to be expected from a member of the military because they are literally brainwashed (systematically) to believe those things to their core. This is necessary to keep their operations running as efficiently as possible (if you have a bunch of soldiers, in a combat zone, constantly questioning their orders and what they are doing there, you're going to have a bad time.

Not surprising to me at all that you would spew filth like this. Your anti-American *** doesn't understand American patriotism and loyalty at all. It may surprise someone of your ignorance to learn that most Americans join the military to serve their country because they actually love it, dumbass. No one forces us too. It's a great honor. I understand that something like that is beyond your comprehension and understanding.

I had a deep love for my country long before I served my time in the US Navy so your ignorant comment that Americans have to be "brainwashed" in order to feel that way about their country and fellow Americans is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen you post, dude.

krisblaze
Not surprising to me at all that you would spew filth like this. Your anti-American *** doesn't understand American patriotism and loyalty at all. It may surprise someone of your ignorance to learn that most Americans join the military to serve their country because they actually love it, dumbass. No one forces us too. It's a great honor. I understand that something like that is beyond your comprehension and understanding.

I had a deep love for my country long before I served my time in the US Navy so your ignorant comment that Americans have to be "brainwashed" in order to feel that way about their country and fellow Americans is about the stupidest thing I've ever seen you post, dude.
Comments like these always make my day.

Star428
You know, the ignore button is such a useful feature of this site I have to say. smile

Omega Vision
By ignoring everyone who can out-debate you, you ensure that you always win.

Star428
LOL. That has nothing to do with it dude. Maybe that's what you use ignore button for but not me. It's for people who have either insulted me or my beliefs or who have irritated me in some way.

Star428
I just read the news that Kyle's killer has been convicted and will serve life in prison. Justice served this time.

Yay!! Happy Dance Happy Dance

FinalAnswer
Good to hear your country doesn't care about the mentally ill.

wakkawakkawakka
Kind of surprised not to hear a "Those who live by the sword..." comment but maybe that's too soon.

Robtard
Originally posted by FinalAnswer

If Routh is actually mentally ill, it is a shame he was given life in prison. He'd be better served in high security mental ward

Tzeentch
He was apparently in and out of mental wards after his tour, and was officially diagnosed with schizophrenia.

The only reason I'm not on the "wow, way to ignore his mental health issues" wagon is that he apparently REFUSED to admit in the trial that he had a mental illness, and insisted that he knew his actions were wrong but wanted to do them anyway.

Which... murks things up a bit.

Robtard
he apparently REFUSED to admit in the trial that he had a mental illness, and insisted that he knew his actions were wrong but wanted to do them anyway.

Which is exactly what a crazy person would do

Tzeentch
Indeed. My point is just that, I don't think it's the courts' job to build your case for you. if you ignore your own lawyer's advice and insist that you be tried as a normal, functioning adult.... well, you have a right to that, I think.

Still think life without possible parole is silly though. Also, a two hour deliberation makes me think they rail-roaded the shit out of his case. #Texas

Robtard
Could be wrong, but I think the medical experts they call in can supersede the wishes of the defendant if said defendant is not mentally capable, which seems plausible since you noted Routh was "officially diagnosed with schizophrenia". Seems his mental condition had already been established prior to the trial.

eg Why the courts can lock up someone if they feel they're crazy enough to harm themselves or someone else, even if they actually haven't

Tzeentch
Could be, dunno much about how the law works.

I'll ask KMC's resident Jew Lawyer, later.

Robtard
I can see the point brought up if Routh hadn't already been officially diagnosed with a severe mental disorder, but it seems the courts already had medical proof that he is a loon.

It is Texas though, so not shocking if the "we know he's crazy" was overlooked.

Tzeentch
#Texas is kind of the explanation I'm leaning toward for everything, too.

Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if capital punishment was still on the table even if it was acknowledged that he had schizophrenia.

Star428

Uh, you do know that this guy who was supposedly "mentally ill" got a fair trial right? While his mental state is debateable the jury decided after hearing all the evidence that he at least still recognized right from wrong.

Star428
Indeed. My point is just that, I don't think it's the courts' job to build your case for you. if you ignore your own lawyer's advice and insist that you be tried as a normal, functioning adult.... well, you have a right to that, I think.

Still think life without possible parole is silly though. Also, a two hour deliberation makes me think they rail-roaded the shit out of his case. #Texas

Or perhaps it was such a clear-cut case that lengthy deliberations were not required. Everyone knows that the guy killed them. The only thing that was to be decided was wether or not he was actually insane. Taking only a couple hours to decide that is not far-fetched by any means.

FinalAnswer
Uh, you do know that this guy who was supposedly "mentally ill" got a fair trial right? While his mental state is debateable the jury decided after hearing all the evidence that he at least still recognized right from wrong.

He was tried in Texas, his fate was already sealed.

Adam_PoE
He was tried in Texas, his fate was already sealed.

The propaganda film did not help either.

SayWhat
PTSD- after watching this movie, everybody should get what it means.
Now if we can get that other traumatic events besides war can cause
just as much PTSD, we might have a better understanding of suffering.

Star428
Well, I have finally seen this movie. I watched the streamed version of it thru PlayStation Network over the weekend. I have to say that I was kind of disappointed with it after hearing about all the praise it received from critics, fans, and some members of this site. It wasn't bad but I've seen many better movies for the $20.00 I paid for it. I rated it 3 stars out of 5 on PSN. Though I see now why so many people thought of him as a hero. He definitely was and I'm glad the bastard who killed him is going to be spending life in prison.

FinalAnswer
He was a real human bean

Spawningpool
How can he? He's dead.
Ever heard of tupac

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.