Is posting online dangerous?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rudester
Now a day's posting what you say or think is taken so literal. Why would employers search what you write online and take it as a serious offence? What happened to freedom of speech, cant people just post dumb shit without it offending a group or outside party (school, job, peer). And I'm not talking about direct cyber bulling.

AsbestosFlaygon
Freedom of speech is dying.
Freedom is dying.

Authorities and terrorists want more control.
Capitalism hates Liberalism.
The sad truth is the world is more capitalistic than it ever has been, with Consumerism gaining traction day by day.

Posting online is not that dangerous, as long as you don't reveal your true identity and use a complicated username that is unrecognizable by your peers.

riv6672
Originally posted by rudester
Now a day's posting what you say or think is taken so literal. Why would employers search what you write online and take it as a serious offence? What happened to freedom of speech, cant people just post dumb shit without it offending a group or outside party (school, job, peer). And I'm not talking about direct cyber bulling.
Not sure what you mean by dangerous (to the poster, the employer, stranger danger...), but in the Military it was drilled into people to post no work place pictures, day to day details, Unit related travel plans, personnel comings and goings etc.
i can only assume civilian employers (depending on the job) might worry about their competion getting info on them.

rudester
Companies schools institutions are now taking postings more serious then ever before especially if you have an opinion to voice. Industry leaders want to make sure you are not a liability before your hired, often using tracking software to see if your the right fit. Now we have web cam interviews, professional job recruiting websites. When you write something in the cloud it's there forever. Social media is used for the purpose of tracking people's ideas, analyzing patterns behaviourism crude mannerisms. (Exchanging ideas within the network). Freedom within the internet is none existent. There is no such thing as privacy online and what little we have could be misinterpreted or misread. In the wake of nine/11 security is at a high, practices are also monitored. We all brought the internet into our homes and molded it to fit us as a representation of ourselves ready to collect that information.

If we want news it's there. If we want to watch a movie it's ready to load. If we have a question it will be answered in just a few seconds. Posting bridges communication to the world. It might not be a reliable source of news but it's there ready for the taking and we believe it because it's neatly organized for our viewing pleasure. It's watching us!

riv6672
I'm not surprised tracking programs like you cited exist. I'm glad theyvwerent used when i was posting from work!

rudester
What did you post? Was it..."My boss is an *******". If that's the case you don't have to worry there's already a website for that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.