Who would be most effective when teamed up with their nemesis?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
Okay, so in this thread I'm not asking about power combinations, I'm talking about effectiveness, where the effectiveness is the hero's natural performance compared to what it could be when teamed up with their respective nemesis. So think about unique, synergistic, and complementary powers and skills that nemeses can offer to one another rather than just a comparison of power and power.

My inspiration for this is the episode of Batman The Brave and the Bold where Batman teams up with the Joker and the two of them almost take out the entire Injustice Society led by Owlman.

Assume that characters will work together indefinitely, that they've somehow gotten over their differences and are working toward a common goal. For villains, assume that while they haven't completely lost their mean streak (which can be an asset), they're capable of restraining themselves enough where it won't ruffle the heroes' moral feathers.

So here are the options:

Batman and the Joker
Superman and Lex Luthor
Wolverine and Sabretooth
Professor Xavier and Magneto
Wonder Woman and Cheetah
Spider-Man and Green Goblin
Thor and Loki
Iron Man and the Mandarin

Insane Titan
Thor/Loki

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Okay, so in this thread I'm not asking about power combinations, I'm talking about effectiveness, where the effectiveness is the hero's natural performance compared to what it could be when teamed up with their respective nemesis. So think about unique, synergistic, and complementary powers and skills that nemeses can offer to one another rather than just a comparison of power and power.

My inspiration for this is the episode of Batman The Brave and the Bold where Batman teams up with the Joker and the two of them almost take out the entire Injustice Society led by Owlman.

Assume that characters will work together indefinitely, that they've somehow gotten over their differences and are working toward a common goal. For villains, assume that while they haven't completely lost their mean streak (which can be an asset), they're capable of restraining themselves enough where it won't ruffle the heroes' moral feathers.

So here are the options:

Batman and the Joker
Superman and Lex Luthor
Wolverine and Sabretooth
Wonder Woman and Cheetah
Spider-Man and Green Goblin
Thor and Loki
Iron Man and the Mandarin
Depends on the setting. Outright power would be Thor and Loki provided it's classic Loki and not young adult Loki.

But in a prolonged setting like world domination, Clark and Supes would be pretty scary. Lex has full access to the Fortress and Supes running interference would spell trouble.

Omega Vision
I think in a straight up fight, Loki/Thor would be beastly, but this is more about a long term partnership, in which case Superman and Lex is my choice because unlike Loki and Thor there isn't as much overlap. Lex could probably "cure" or mitigate with some kind of suit all of Superman's weaknesses and be like the support crew for Clark. It'd be like Lex being the guy from Person of Interest and Superman is his Jim Caviezel.

psycho gundam
Loki empowered the Absorbing man relatively easily

riv6672
Of those listed, Superman and Luthor. Supes'd be the gun Luthor aims.

DarkSaint85
Supes and Luthor. Think of all the crap Luthor has invented/developed.

Now give him Kryptonian tech.

On the other hand, think of all the power and influence Luthor - especially DCU - wielded, that for all of Superman's strength, did not have.

TheLordofMurder
In one of the alerts on DC Universe, there was an alternate reality where Lex and Supes teamed up, conquered the world, and were able to maintain that control pretty much indefinitely...

Short term combat: Thor/Loki...

Long term control: Lex/Supes...

Mindship
Originally posted by riv6672
Superman and Luthor. Supes'd be the gun Luthor aims. /thread

pym-ftw
Charles & Erik.

Insane Titan
Thanos&Adam Warlock

relentless1
Superman and Lex hands down, can you imagine Supermans raw power combined with Lexs intellect, tech and ruthlessness??

Omega Vision
How about Hulk and Abomination? They'd get a space truck and start the most epic moving company ever.

celeyhyga17
Originally posted by Omega Vision
How about Hulk and Abomination? They'd get a space truck and start the most epic moving company ever.
Nah.. They'd do the occasional high five and bust everything for miles.

As for the thread I'd go Clark and Lex. Thor and Loki next because of familiar synergy since they've actually worked together probably for hundreds of years(in their youth).

krisblaze
Luthor brings very little that Superman isn't already capable of.

Mindset
Originally posted by celeyhyga17

But in a prolonged setting like world domination, Clark and Supes would be pretty scary. thumb up

Clark/Supes ftw.

zopzop
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
In one of the alerts on DC Universe, there was an alternate reality where Lex and Supes teamed up, conquered the world, and were able to maintain that control pretty much indefinitely...

Short term combat: Thor/Loki...

Long term control: Lex/Supes...
thumb up
Originally posted by Insane Titan
Thanos&Adam Warlock
Too overpowered.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by krisblaze
Luthor brings very little that Superman isn't already capable of.
Even comics that show off Superman's intellect don't generally put him at Lex's level of engineering.

riv6672
Yeah, no joke.

relentless1
personally if I wanted a hero/villain teamup that would completely wreck shit it'd be Batman and Lex, those two brains concocting schemes together with their vast resources could take anybody out of commission

Omega Vision
It sort of happened in Superman: Red Son.

Galan007
Doom/Doombot. thumb up

Surtur
Reed and Doom teaming up would be kinda scary.

Digi
I don't disagree with the consensus so far; Thor/Loki and Superman/Lex are great choices. But I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the mutant duo, who have an entire event devoted to this idea (Onslaught). In terms of covering power gaps and lack of redundancy, they're a better fit than Thor/Loki, even if the Asgardians would have more overall power.

Originally posted by Surtur
Reed and Doom teaming up would be kinda scary.

Nah. Lots of brains, but too much redundancy.

Omega Vision
I'm glad Digi picked up on the redundancy angle. It's why I didn't include Doom and Reed, because while Doom brings magic to the table, they're otherwise the same guy, and it's debatable if they'd even be able to accomplish much when teamed up given their vastly different styles. Even if he were partnered with Reed, Doom would probably still be more concerned with showing him up than solving whatever problem they had.

I'm not asking who would be most powerful together, because obviously Batman and Joker wouldn't even be a relevant option. I'm asking about what combination would most improve the performance and overall effectiveness of the constituent parts.

I think Batman and Joker is an interesting one because if the Joker were either somehow reformed, or in a Hannibal Lecter consultant position, he could really help Batman consider an incredible new array of angles with each case and problem, as well as a lot of unhelpful nonsense.

"Id"
Hal and Sinrestro

jrodslam
Batman and Joker take over the world. Onslaught would be nuts though. Lex and Supes are a close third. IMO.

Shabazz916

riv6672
I wondered about this. Makes sense. thumb up

TheLordofMurder
The Goddamned BATMAN!!!!! and Dracula....

DTM
Id go with Reed and Doom personally, if prep time is allowed that is.

Golgo13
Luthor/Superman.

meep-meep
Daredevil and Kingpin. Whether they were villains or heroes, it would be a great combo. Cool thread.

Bentley
Actually Reed and Doom have worked together and done fine in many occasions. Most of these team ups will be slowing down one guy to benefit the other. Lex is just inferior to Superman, he can bring some cute tech but his overall tenacity comes from not holding back, which is something Superman can technically do but refuses to.

I'm just saying that people are overhyping Lex and Kal, they are powerful on their own right but as a very wise poster said Clark and Superman is much scarier 131

Scoobless
Blackbolt/Maximus

Happened already and they kicked the collective asses of the entire universe.

Insane Titan
Hulk and Leader be a good combo.

Apoc and Cable (if God Cable is allowed)

Omega Vision
I seem to recall a hero/villain matchup where their powers were inherently complementary...who the Hell am I thinking of?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.