Best Fighting Games of All Time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Not restricted by series. If a fighting game from the same series is good, it belongs here.

One of the first games that come to mind are Final Fantasy: Dissidia/Duodecim.

Injustice: Gods Among Us.

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith's multiplayer.

Marvel vs Capcom series.

Oh, and M.U.G.E.N.

Quincy
Smash

Estacado
Injustice for me.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Quincy
Smash Haven't played it in so long, I forgot about it.

Come to think of it, Powerstone comes to mind.

Bentley
Garou Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter III, probably Smash Brothers Melee.

Hard to set in a list of the best, but those are very good and among my favorites.

Impediment
Street Fighter II
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tekken Tag Tournament
Mortal Kombat 9
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Bentley
Garou Mark of the Wolves, Street Fighter III, probably Smash Brothers Melee.

Hard to set in a list of the best, but those are very good and among my favorites.
thumb up

Spent countless hours playing Garou.

I'll add Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Marvel vs. Capcom 1, Street Fighter Alpha 3, and Tekken 3.

Quincy
King of Fighters is up there.

Also for purely nostalgic reasons, Budokai 3

Smasandian
Mortal Kombat 2....because that's the only I ever played and was decent at it.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Quincy
King of Fighters is up there.

Also for purely nostalgic reasons, Budokai 3 Budokai Tenkaichi 3 will always be THE best DBZ fighting game of all time.

Reflassshh
MK Trilogy, Injustice, Marvel vs capcom 1/3, DB Raging blast 2/ Budokai 3/ Tenkaichi 3.

Quincy
Yeah I dont know anything about tenkaichi but the straight up Budokai 3 was rad

Demonic Phoenix
Soul Calibur is generally thought to be the best fighting game, followed by Tekken 3.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Budokai Tenkaichi 3 will always be THE best DBZ fighting game of all time.

The only series I thought emulated DBZ style fights. thumb up

Kazenji
Shame....No one Mentioned Rival Schools.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji
Shame....No one Mentioned Rival Schools. Never heard of it, whats it about?

Wei Phoenix

The swimming guy was always my favorite.

Kazenji
Never heard of it, whats it about?

Its a Capcom game

Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
The swimming guy was always my favorite.

Swimming guy?...might be thinking of the sequel which i've never played since it never made to my region.

Wei Phoenix
Yeah, I think it was Project Justice Rival Schools 2

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rivalschools/rivalschools-old/moero-1.jpg

Rascaduanok
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution.

Bentley

Forgot about it, fun game.

-Pr-
Mortal Kombat 2 and Tekken 3 are the main ones for me. My brother and I wasted what must be weeks of time playing those things.

Street Fighter 2 I mostly played single-player, but I have many a fond memory. Plenty of not so fond ones too, as I could almost never beat Bison. I probably enjoyed Street Fighter 4 a bit more, as I was better at that game than 2.

MK DA was solid, as was MK vs DC (story/fatality issues aside). Those two don't really compare with MK9 and Injustice though. Brilliant games.

Honourable mentions (ie games I played a lot of but know they aren't at the top of my list):

Body Blows
IK+
Shadow Fighter
Rival Schools

dynamix
MK - mainly for nostalgia reasons. first saw it at the mall and was freakin blown away by it. it had this very dangerous air about it in addition to the asian mystique theme it had going on. i got chills ha.

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - most fun fighting game ever!

Guilty Gears

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
Mortal Kombat 2 and Tekken 3 are the main ones for me. My brother and I wasted what must be weeks of time playing those things. Ma nigga...

Tekken 3 is my favorite fighting game of all time.

Demonic Phoenix
Tekken 3 are the main ones for me. My brother and I wasted what must be weeks of time playing those things.

Wasted?

Clearly you did not like this masterpiece enough. estahuh

-Pr-
Ma nigga...

Tekken 3 is my favorite fighting game of all time.

thumb up

I remember getting it with the first analog pad they brought out for the psx. Good times indeed.

Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Wasted?

Clearly you did not like this masterpiece enough. estahuh

laughing out loud

The only thing that annoyed me was that my favourite character in the game was Forest Law. Not Marshal, but Forest.

**** sake Tekken, I wanna play as Forest.

That, and they keep changing Jin.

Jmanghan
thumb up

I remember getting it with the first analog pad they brought out for the psx. Good times indeed.

laughing out loud

The only thing that annoyed me was that my favourite character in the game was Forest Law. Not Marshal, but Forest.

**** sake Tekken, I wanna play as Forest.

That, and they keep changing Jin. He was a huge dick in Tekken 6.

Surtur
I loved the powerstone games. Also the DBZ tenkaichi games where you can fly all over the place and destroy shit. Also the "Psychic Force 2012" game on Dreamcast.

Jmanghan
Just realize I never saw anyone bring up Killer Instinct.

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Surtur
"Psychic Force 2012" game on Dreamcast.

Niiiice. One of my favorites from back in the day.

Jmanghan
Gladiator Begins can get Tedious, but its good for multiple playthroughs.

cdtm
I loved the powerstone games. Also the DBZ tenkaichi games where you can fly all over the place and destroy shit. Also the "Psychic Force 2012" game on Dreamcast.

Power Stone played kind of like Super Smash Bros in 3d. It was awesome.

Tech Romancer was practically the definition of fun. Enjoyed it was more then Virtual On.

cdtm
If wrestlers count as fighters:

Tecmo World Wrestling.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by cdtm
If wrestlers count as fighters:

Tecmo World Wrestling. I'd count MMA and Boxing as Fighters, so yeah.

I liked that old WCW game where you could make yourself a hornet.

Surtur
If we're taking in wrestling then Fire Pro Wrestling G on playstation needs to be mentioned.

Also WWF Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, and the Smackdown series from the late 90's and early 2000's. I realize there have been newer games from WWE but those are the ones I played when I was really into wrestling during the "attitude" era.

Jmanghan
All of the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games are pretty good.

cdtm
If we're taking in wrestling then Fire Pro Wrestling G on playstation needs to be mentioned.

Also WWF Wrestlemania 2000, No Mercy, and the Smackdown series from the late 90's and early 2000's. I realize there have been newer games from WWE but those are the ones I played when I was really into wrestling during the "attitude" era.

No Mercy had the best character creation system ever.

A friend made Earthquake to a T. Same exact look, same taunts, same awesomeness. In other systems, he's always a little off..

Jmanghan
I made a totally white guy wearing knights plating.

RLAAMJR.
Marvel vs Capcom series

Bentley
I played some KoF99 back in the day, it was a fun game but I did not spend enough time on it (funnily enough, the KoF that I've played the most is the one on the Neo Geo Pocket). One of my friends who is a complete KoF drone says that 98 is the better game, and he's likely right. Soul Calibur 2 was also a decent fighter and among that otherwise mediocre series, it's certainly an historical highlight.

Trocity
Downloaded UNS4 digitally the other night, it's actually really fun.

Estacado
I did enjoy Bloody Roar...

cdtm
Only just got Budokai 3, and its already the most fun I ever had in a fighting game.

Also, Bushido Blade deserves a mention, because of it being the first and only franchise to do "realistic" sudden death kills right.

cdtm
Oh yeah, how could I forget Destrega.

One of the best party fighters I've ever played, and sort of does 3d "DBZ" style ki based gameplay better then DBZ games did it.

dynamix
this is gonna be like "WTF?!" but my fav fighting game of all time is the very first Mortal Kombat. When it came out, it was like so mysterious and such taboo (i was like 9 i think lol). Plus it had the dopest graphic (the refined digital graphic was so cool at the time!). The music, the backstory and the whole eastern Shaolin/Asian appeal was really cool to me. Reminds me of those old 36th Chamber Shaw brothers movies ha. And raiden reminded me of the dude from Big Trouble who i thought was the coolest character ever lol.

cdtm
In total agreement. MK did for the franchise what Super Mario Bros did for that series. Sure, the sequels refined the concept, but there's always something about that first game, rough edges and all.

Ever see that hologram of Raiden they used to stick in museums. Or at least, it looked just like him. Could have been a random shaolin monk..

Surtur
No Mercy had the best character creation system ever.

A friend made Earthquake to a T. Same exact look, same taunts, same awesomeness. In other systems, he's always a little off..

Me and my friends would spend hours doing matches with us in a ladder match with Andre the Giant. Merely because his body would twitch in a hilarious way if you knocked him down and then began beating him with a ladder.

Jmanghan
Only just got Budokai 3, and its already the most fun I ever had in a fighting game.

Also, Bushido Blade deserves a mention, because of it being the first and only franchise to do "realistic" sudden death kills right. Never played Bushido played, but it kinda reminds me of a third-person Chivalry with Samurai's.

Zack Fair
Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting(Turbo)and its brethren. (Might be cheating but if I have to choose one then the first one)

The game started it all and is still played in tourneys today.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Impediment
Street Fighter II
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Tekken Tag Tournament
Mortal Kombat 9
Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Solid list.

Jmanghan
I remember one where they could carry swords, and the villain was dressed in pure black robes and had blonde hair.

Stoic
Def Jam's Fight for New York was the best fighting game ever IMO.

cdtm
How about a fighting game with good AI?

Generally, they seem to fall into two camps: Pathetically easy, or cheap (Reading your inputs, using inhuman combos..)

Virtua Fighter 4 evolution's arcade mode seemed to nail an AI that was challenging and fair.

Estacado
Mk XL will be the NR1 when it hits the stores.....until the release of Injustice 2 off course...uhuh

AuraAngel
Melee. How many games refuse to die like that game has? Not only has it basically survived two sequels and no help from Nintendo, it has thrived. Compare: One of the most important matches in 06 vs. The most important match of 2016. The crowds are bigger, the players are much better, and the stakes are so much higher since actual E-Sports are involved now. The game inspires people to do really amazing things like raising nearly 100 grand for Breast Cancer and making a documentary cataloging the early days of the meta. It's actually quite stupid but very fascinating from a design aspect.

That said there are also games that are objectively more influential fighting games, like Street Fighter. Melee is just the only one that grabbed my attention personally and I do think that it's continued survival in a world that makes it a chore is fascinating.

Jmanghan
Battle Arena Toshinden was a good series.

RadZoa
I don't know about best of all time but Killer Instinct on the Xbox One/PC is freaking awesome.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by RadZoa
I don't know about best of all time but Killer Instinct on the Xbox One/PC is freaking awesome. Dude tbh we already listed the best of all time and have gone to just naming them.

Kazenji
For me which i got alot of fun out of were

Street Fighter 2....and every other variation of them
Rival Schools
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Mortal Kombat trilogy
Budokai 3 & Tenkaichi 3.

CPT Space Bomb
You all need to check Out Killer Instinct (the new one.) It's amazing. For 50 bucks you get 25+ characters (a few more will be added this year) and all the extra goodies it's accumulated over the years. It's out for Windows 10 PC now and it's incredible. Best fighting game I've played in years.

Jmanghan
Better then Mortal Kombat 9?

CPT Space Bomb
Better then Mortal Kombat 9? Yah, at it's current state it's amazing; at least in my opinion.

The season 1 story mode is kind of bare-bones but it's functional and has achievements. Season 2 is much better.

Multiplayer is solid currently with casual exhibition matches as well as ranked leagues. There is also Player vs Player's shadows....it's almost like a pvp-pve at the same time match...really cool. But most importantly the combat is furiously fast and intense, with tons of headgames available to psyche out your opponent. I love it man.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.