Which comic is this feat from?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ChaosTheory123
This one

Tangentially related, but does the issue indicate how fast the pod was moving when Anakin seemingly made it take a U-turn with TK? :hmm

ILS
Was from the Republic comic series, can't remember the specific issue.

Edit: it's from Obsession #3.

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by ILS
Was from the Republic comic series, can't remember the specific issue.

Edit: it's from Obsession #3.

Thanks

Always like to know full context before I try to figure out how impressive a feat is

Will be interesting to see if the result could theoretically be higher than I tried to figure out for this :hmm

ILS
What results did you get from calcing that feat? Must have been pretty insane.

The Merchant
Trying to find out how much kinetic energy it would take to throw an escape Pod into a far-away star? Hmmm, I'm not the best when it comes to dealing with perspective but I would say 3000 kilometers since that's the targeting for most ships going by ROTJ at point-blank range.

ChaosTheory123
@ILS - About 2.5 megatons using the missile speed as a measuring stick

Thought it was a fair assumption to make that their missiles could accelerate to match our own modern missiles top speed from the heights they had been launched from

Wish they also had given me actual dimensions to work with for the ship, but I'm used to having to play guessing games when it comes to figuring out a theoretical mass

Not perfect (because nothing we can do for fiction is concrete and all), but it works well enough for my board's purposes

DarthAnt66
http://i.imgur.com/I9V1N8m.png

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by The Merchant
Trying to find out how much kinetic energy it would take to throw an escape Pod into a far-away star? Hmmm, I'm not the best when it comes to dealing with perspective but I would say 3000 kilometers since that's the targeting for most ships going by ROTJ at point-blank range.

If he's propelling it into the star?

Sure

I could only tell that he made it take a U-turn from the limited context I have though at the present, so I was going to compare the speed he turns the ship on it's center of mass to the pod's theoretical speed if I couldn't find any other way to measure it.

ares834
Naruto forum calcs...

Rofl

ChaosTheory123
Don't worry, I mock you all the same chuckles :maybe

Completely amicably, but still

Q99
Originally posted by The Merchant

It had it's engines on, he didn't need to 'throw' it so much as point it to the star and let momentum and said engines do the rest.

NewGuy01
@ChaosTheory123: For the earlier feat from CW, how did you adjust for the station being hollow?

Nephthys
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
If he's propelling it into the star?

Sure

I could only tell that he made it take a U-turn from the limited context I have though at the present, so I was going to compare the speed he turns the ship on it's center of mass to the pod's theoretical speed if I couldn't find any other way to measure it.

He isn't propelling it though. You can see the thrusters on the back, he's just directing it.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by Nephthys
He isn't propelling it though. You can see the thrusters on the back, he's just directing it.
You say just like it isn't more impressive.

Trocity
I did not know Anakin was a changeling.

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by NewGuy01
@ChaosTheory123: For the earlier feat from CW, how did you adjust for the station being hollow?

That's one of the things I wish I could be more exact with.

Treated it sort of like a building. With much screwing around with building hollowness in the past, we sort of determined a good number of buildings are roughly 80% hollow space, 20% actual material. Which is itself really a rough approximate too.

Seeing as how much material exists inside a given ship with some of the cross sections for ships I've seen?

This worked well enough as far as I can tell, even if inexact :hmm

Originally posted by Q99
It had it's engines on, he didn't need to 'throw' it so much as point it to the star and let momentum and said engines do the rest.

Figured as much looking at the scans, hence probably why comparing the speed of the propulsion of the thrusters to the speed it turns on it's center of mass during the seeming U-turn is the best way to judge it :hmm

Nephthys
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
You say just like it isn't more impressive.

Because it isn't.

DarthAnt66
thumb up

FreshestSlice
Because it isn't.
I'm sure you can redirect something pushed by thrusters in space. That's definitely something you can do.

Revanchiste

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.