Supersenses: Superman vs. Murdock

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
Example: can Superman read newspapers via touch?

Hearing/smell - any lie-detector feats? Etc.

I'd say DD is better at everything sans sight (obviously...) and probably hearing.

juggerman
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

I'd say DD is better at everything sans sight (obviously...) and probably hearing.

Superman has lie detector feats with his hearing, tho I'm not sure about post Falshpoint.

Branlor Swift
DD is the best

Prof. T.C McAbe
Superman can hear a single human heartbeat and distinguish it from all other humans on the planet, from space.

This is no contest, Supermans hearing is far superior to DD. I would say he has better smelling senses too. As for touch I am not sure as everything is like paper to him but it would still make sense that it is better if he can touch things without breaking them, the control needed is immense.

Mindship
This reminds me of my, "Who's more agile: Superman or Spider-Man?" query. We see Spider-Man doing acrobatic dodging and such all the time, whereas we rarely see that from Superman. But given speed is a big part of agility, one could only conclude that, in an agility contest, Spider-Man is left in the dust.

abhilegend
Superman, no contest. He can hear things from interstellar distances and when you count how invulnerable he is, his sense of touch is truly remarkable. Originally posted by StiltmanFTW

Superman can hear the heartbeat of entire planet at once and pick up individual heartbeat among them.

-Pr-
I honestly thought this was a joke thread... no expression

Branlor Swift
DD can smell Superman from 616, and it smells like fear.

Mindset
Originally posted by abhilegend
Superman, no contest. He can hear things from interstellar distances and when you count how invulnerable he is, his sense of touch is truly remarkable.
Superman can hear the heartbeat of entire planet at once and pick up individual heartbeat among them. Is he gentle when he touches you?

carver9
Can someone post scans? DD have some insane showings when it comes to his senses. Not hearing and seeing of course.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by -Pr-
I honestly thought this was a joke thread... no expression
More of a "I'm-really-bored" type of a thread.

Anyway, I don't recall Supes having some awesome taste/smell/balance/touch sense feats and on these I want to focus.

Forget about hearing. I'm sure Supes has feats like hearing Lois/Diana cheating on him while being on the other side of galaxy or something.

juggerman
Superman can smell Krypto pooping on his carpet in the Fortress from across the planet before the turtle head even pops out.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Mindset
Is he gentle when he touches you?
laughing

Decimus
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
DD can smell Superman from 616, and it smells like fear.
laughing out loud

-Pr-
More of a "I'm-really-bored" type of a thread.

Anyway, I don't recall Supes having some awesome taste/smell/balance/touch sense feats and on these I want to focus.

Forget about hearing. I'm sure Supes has feats like hearing Lois/Diana cheating on him while being on the other side of galaxy or something.

He doesn't have a whole lot in the New 52, so I'd have to dig deep to even find any.

Preboot though? He has ridiculous feats, even if you remove hearing and sight (which are even more ridiculous).

Delta1938
Preboot though? He has ridiculous feats, even if you remove hearing and sight (which are even more ridiculous).

I've seen a few sense of smell/touch feats that were good for Preboot, but can't think of any ridiculous. Mostly because it was rarely touched on(but with as many comics he appeared it they had to happen). Got any examples?

Juntai
Pre-reboot can see, hear or smell anything on the planet and in some cases even science-bending.

Juntai

Time Immemorial
House of El Stomps

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Juntai
Completely forgot about that. Damn. Thanks for posting.

Ok, any taste, touch, balance feats?

Juntai
Completely forgot about that. Damn. Thanks for posting.

Ok, any taste, touch, balance feats? Taste? Not so sure. I don't see why he would need super-taste, but I wouldn't doubt it for a second. His senses are Super. And taste is all but connected to the same olfactory nerves as smell is.

Touch is largely going to be vibration stuff. He can feel the vibrations to ridiculous degrees, even the vibration of the universes. He's even felt vibration trails people have left behind when flying in space.

Juntai
His sense of time, sense of inertia, and sense of style are also greater. wink

Delta1938

I actually just read that one recently, and it slipped my mind. Although it wasn't what I was thinking of for "ridiculous"(though you probably weren't replying to me). Although I'm sure most would find that ridiculous.

Juntai
Originally posted by Delta1938
I actually just read that one recently, and it slipped my mind. Although it wasn't what I was thinking of for "ridiculous"(though you probably weren't replying to me). Although I'm sure most would find that ridiculous. Nah, was just posting it in general. Smelling brownies from The Watchtower to Earth isn't ridiculous though?
lol.

Delta1938
Nah, was just posting it in general. Smelling brownies from The Watchtower to Earth isn't ridiculous though?
lol.

Not for Superman. big grin When I think ridiculous senses for Superman, I think of him hearing Kyle whisper from whatever distance that was in FOR TOMORROW.

-Pr-
Not for Superman. big grin When I think ridiculous senses for Superman, I think of him hearing Kyle whisper from whatever distance that was in FOR TOMORROW.

He's heard Kara calling him from Earth too while out near Saturn, iirc.

Delta1938
He's heard Kara calling him from Earth too while out near Saturn, iirc.

Pretty good, but not as good as the Kyle one. Though I suppose hearing or smelling anything with outer space as a "barrier" should be ridiculous since there's no air to carry sound or scent.

-Pr-
Pretty good, but not as good as the Kyle one. Though I suppose hearing or smelling anything with outer space as a "barrier" should be ridiculous since there's no air to carry sound or scent.

Pretty much. I always wonder if they ever said just how far away Kyle was.

I also like the feat in For Tomorrow where he's looking for Lois's heartbeat as he's coming back to Earth, and can identify it out of so many.

Also, the one where he could hear Oliver Queen calling him, even among billions of voices.

Delta1938
Pretty much. I always wonder if they ever said just how far away Kyle was.

I also like the feat in For Tomorrow where he's looking for Lois's heartbeat as he's coming back to Earth, and can identify it out of so many.

Also, the one where he could hear Oliver Queen calling him, even among billions of voices.

I'll have to check again. I figure it's at least in another star system so lightyears away.

And yeah, those are pretty good. What about where he counts all those raindrops? Speed did play a role, but still.....holy shit.

Juntai
In Countdown hearing Jimmy's watch from Andromeda and flying there in a couple panels.

Delta1938
In Countdown hearing Jimmy's watch from Andromeda and flying there in a couple panels.

I forgot about that one. Apparently it was retconned. Didn't see the actual instance, but saw people arguing with Kurt Busiek about it on the DC boards years ago.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.