What game do you think is the most underrated???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spawningpool
I believe that twisted metal is one of the most underrated games of all time.
Story is awesome
Gameplay is fun
Plot twists great
Easter eggs pretty cool
Weapons and vehicles are off the chain too
And all this comes from the mind of David Jaffe

But please tell me what game you think is underrated

Quincy
Most underrated is a hard question to answer.

I'd throw in for Dishonored tho

Kazenji
Project Eden.

Nemesis X
Predator: Concrete Jungle

BackFire
Sleeping Dogs.

F.E.A.R

TheHulk
Originally posted by Quincy
Most underrated is a hard question to answer.

I'd throw in for Dishonored tho thumb up

jaden101
Shadow of Memories on PS2

-Pr-
Originally posted by BackFire
Sleeping Dogs.

F.E.A.R

thumb up

Loved both of those.

Alpha Protocol is another, imo.

Nephthys
thumb up

Alpha Protocol for sure.

Impediment
Clive Barker's Jericho.

Reflassshh
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Predator: Concrete Jungle thumb up

Resident evil 1 and batman arkham origins are underrated too.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Impediment
Clive Barker's Jericho.

That game should've gotten a sequel.

Bentley
Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto V.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Reflassshh
thumb up

Resident evil 1 and batman arkham origins are underrated too.

Agreed on both counts.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Bentley
Halo 2 and Grand Theft Auto V.

How are those underrated?

Bentley
How are those underrated?

Lots of people bash them without even playing them awesr

Kazenji
I've seen people online bashing GTA 5, They consider Red Dead Redemption to be still better.

Estacado
Predator: Concrete Jungle
Best predator game evaa!

Kazenji
^ Wouldn't mind seeing a new game, Have it like Assassins Creed gameplay.

Smasandian
Crysis 2.

Estacado
Originally posted by Kazenji
^ Wouldn't mind seeing a new game, Have it like Assassins Creed gameplay.
That would be so awesome!!!

NemeBro
Originally posted by Kazenji
I've seen people online bashing GTA 5, They consider Red Dead Redemption to be still better. That's probably because it is, lol.

Kazenji
Meh....they both equally good imo

Reflassshh
RDR >>>> GTA

Surtur
I always thought Phantom Dust never got enough love. Also Breakdown, which like Phantom Dust was on xbox. I have a soft spot for Advent Rising too.

Also for the PC, Anachronox. Though that game is less underrated and more just..not known by a lot of people.

That game should've gotten a sequel.

If we are talking about Clive Barker games that deserve a sequel, Undying is at the top of that list.

Smasandian
I never played Undying but I remember it getting some love back in the day.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur

If we are talking about Clive Barker games that deserve a sequel, Undying is at the top of that list.

Yeah good game that one...got that one on GOG.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Smasandian
Crysis 2. thumb down Gotta disagree. The only thing that game had going for it was good shooter mechanics. Every aspect of the SP was generic and uninspired as they come, the enemy's design was derivative, etc.

Haven't played 3, probably never will, but Crysis and Warhead > 2, imo.

BackFire
I didn't like Crysis 2 much the first time I played it, but I recently replayed it and thought it pretty good. The story is bad and it's simply not as good as the first game, but it's a solid shooter with a pretty good campaign.

Surtur
I never played Undying but I remember it getting some love back in the day.

It's a really great game, and it creates a really great atmosphere too, it has really great sound effects too, which is something I don't usually notice. Plus it does the whole magic/guns thing in a FPS shooter well.

To be clear, while it is a FPS shooter, it is nothing like Jericho(it's also actually a lot better in both gameplay and story).

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I didn't like Crysis 2 much the first time I played it, but I recently replayed it and thought it pretty good. The story is bad and it's simply not as good as the first game, but it's a solid shooter with a pretty good campaign.

Yeah, the story in the series isn't good anyways so I didn't really care but I liked how it had more direction than the first.

I enjoyed the first as well and I can understand why people wouldn't like the second as much (or all) but I liked the environments and setting much better in the second. It came out before all the "destroyed major city" look became popular.

In Crysis, the first part of the game are brilliant. The cat and mouse game between you and the North Koreans is fascinating. There isn't a game out there that does it like that but once you get into the ship, the game becomes much worst. The ship sequence is frustating and boring, and while the frozen sections are really cool to look at (but extremely taxing), the alien's are boring as shit.

Reflassshh
I'd like to add DB Raging Blast 2, that game got no love back in the day just because RB1 was shit. erm

And Mass Effect 3, everyone talks shit about it but the only thing I see it's wrong with it is the endings, which could've a bit more different between each other and could've made your choices actually matter. But the game in itself was EPIC imo.

Smasandian
I agree about ME3. I wanted something truly epic and that's exactly what Bioware did.

I still think the Reapers in the Mass Effect series are the best species/supreme bad guys in any series. I wanted Reapers to fly through planets destroying everything in their path. They have an awesome look and the sounds they make are ****ing brilliant. In Mass Effect 3, where they're was going to be no chance of surviving, they actually create gameplay moments where it felt there was no chance on winning. Can't wait for the the new set of games and hopefully they remaster them so I can play them again on new consoles.

-Pr-
Mass Effect 3 is a very good game, aye. I dunno how underrated I would say it is though. That thing sold tons of copies.

I suppose people do shit on the rest of the game, over-exaggerating faults due to the endings and ignoring the good stuff.

Smasandian
Yeah, I would agree on your assessment that people do over-exaggerate the faults of ME3 because of the lackluster ending.

I will admit that the ending is not what I wanted but that's because the series was so well done in terms of caring about characters and what happens in the world it created that I don't know if any ending would of been sufficient. Most endings in most games are not good. This is just one of them.

But the ending does not ruin the 40 hour experience I had. When I replayed the game, I still ****ing loved how well Bioware created the atmosphere for the universe that I didn't mind the ending.

Henry_Pym
Fallout: New Vegas.

People shit on it for not being very different then 3, but hold Fallout 3 up like its the bible for great video games. I personally love the faction system in it, but survival mode is a little douchey in the DLC's.

-Pr-
Yeah, I would agree on your assessment that people do over-exaggerate the faults of ME3 because of the lackluster ending.

I will admit that the ending is not what I wanted but that's because the series was so well done in terms of caring about characters and what happens in the world it created that I don't know if any ending would of been sufficient. Most endings in most games are not good. This is just one of them.

But the ending does not ruin the 40 hour experience I had. When I replayed the game, I still ****ing loved how well Bioware created the atmosphere for the universe that I didn't mind the ending.

I know that I would say it had more faults than you would, but it still did a lot of things right, and that shouldn't be ignored.

Reflassshh
Yeah, every game has faults. The thing with ME3 is that it brought an epic closure to one of the best sagas of last generation. And I mean EPIC.

It succeeded in making you feel the pressure of war, the pressure of knowing that no matter how hard you try you won't get to save everyone. That alone trumps the asinine ending.

I meant underrated in the sense that critically, people tend to trash talk about the game saying things like the ending ruined the series just because they didn't get a clear happy ending, or Shepard clearly surviving or his decisions actually having an impact beyond mere war effort points. Are this complains justified? Of course, bioware basically fooled ME's fandom, but it's not reason for disregarding the game imo.

BloodRawEngine
Assassin's Creed III. Not only are its problems blown out of proportion (or just plain inaccurate), but Black Flag honestly has way more problems.

jaden101
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Assassin's Creed III. Not only are its problems blown out of proportion (or just plain inaccurate), but Black Flag honestly has way more problems.

Only problem I had with it was the horrendously boring protagonist. Didn't enjoy playing the sailing but there wasn't anything wrong with it technically. Just not my thing.

BackFire
I enjoyed the setting of ACIII, more so than the other games. Liked that it had a wilderness aspect.

Smasandian
Yeah, it was a nice refreshing environment from the devs instead of being another brown and grey city.

ares834
Dragon's Dogma is underrated (although I'm sure there are many other game that are more underrated).

It had some severe problems, but overall was a ton of fun.

BloodRawEngine
Definitely Dragon's Dogma. The overwolrd as a whole wasn't the largest or most diverse you'd find in an RPG, but it was sizeable in its own right and the character controlled fluid. The fighting was great with attacks that were sick and were all as powerful and effective as they looked (though being on the receiving end of Maelstrom was hell and a half) and the character customization (a personal pleasure) was one of the most refined of its kind without being convoluted. It and Kingdoms of Amalur made for two of the best RPG's of 2012. They've said they plan to do more with Dragon's Dogma as a franchise and I certainly hope so.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by jaden101
Only problem I had with it was the horrendously boring protagonist. Didn't enjoy playing the sailing but there wasn't anything wrong with it technically. Just not my thing.

I actually much preferred Connor to Edward. Edward just became more and more of a stubborn tool with nothing good to show for it in terms of development until the last fraction of the game, and even that gets shot in the ass in the supplemental material where it's pretty apparent that most of what went wrong with the Kenway family line was his own damn fault. I thought Connor had a lot more resolve and a much better sense of determination to see it through, and the only thing I wish he had was that monologue at the end of the book that they apparently cut out of the final game. Edward's first mate Adewale was a much better character and deserved a much longer/larger DLC campaign IMO.

Altair was horrendously boring.

Smasandian
Everything about the first game was horrendously boring.

Tzeentch
I'm having a hell of a time trying to work up the resolve to continue playing Kingdom of Amalur. The game has excellent combat mechanics but god damn, I'm about 12 hours in and the story and setting just make absolutely zero attempt to engage you whatsoever.

The quests are also very repetitive.

BloodRawEngine
I disagree. I'd say that's well past the part where the main campaign starts kicking off if anything, and considering how much of the game revolves around the combat mechanics and the versatility to it, I thought it was more than enough. I mainly don't play games for story either, and much preferred how soon this game managed to open up and subvert the idea.

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
I disagree. I'd say that's well past the part where the main campaign starts kicking off if anything, and considering how much of the game revolves around the combat mechanics and the versatility to it, I thought it was more than enough. I mainly don't play games for story either, and much preferred how soon this game managed to open up and subvert the idea.

I picked up Amalur on Steam not knowing what to think of it. I was very surprised by the time I finished the game. Magic is absolutely awesome. I like doing the Mages Guild quests.

Reflassshh
MGS4.

appletonia
Final Fantasy VIII's gotten hugely underrated. I personally have it as the second best Final Fantasy after VII.

Surtur
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I'm having a hell of a time trying to work up the resolve to continue playing Kingdom of Amalur. The game has excellent combat mechanics but god damn, I'm about 12 hours in and the story and setting just make absolutely zero attempt to engage you whatsoever.

The quests are also very repetitive.

I suppose this is true, but for me the combat was fun enough to keep me playing until the end. I mean for me gameplay is the most important thing. I don't care much about the story, though I guess I would prefer it not be HORRIBLE. But Amalur's story is far from horrible. It's mostly just..generic.

Though I did enjoy learning about the lore of the universe. It's also my experience that in most long RPG-type games the quests eventually do become a bit repetitive.

Surtur
I also want to add a game called Paper Sorcerer that came out a year ago. It's the first time I've seen a FPS that is also a turn based RPG. It's got a unique look too:

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/2/b/1/gfs_268647_2_2_mid.jpg

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/6/f/2/gfs_268647_2_3_mid.jpg

Kazenji
Looks alot like Phantasy Star 1 when your walking around in the dungeons.

Bro SMASH
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

Really enjoy that game (almost more than the Smash Bros. games).

Too bad so many people whine so much about which characters didn't get in.

Smasandian
Another one is FEAR 2: Project Origin.

Not the greatest game in the world (and not as good as the first) but I still enjoyed it immensely. I just really enjoyed a lot of the areas you get to explore and it was still a pretty creepy game.

-Pr-
Originally posted by appletonia
Final Fantasy VIII's gotten hugely underrated. I personally have it as the second best Final Fantasy after VII.

thumb up

****ing love that game.

Nibedicus
Originally posted by Surtur
I also want to add a game called Paper Sorcerer that came out a year ago. It's the first time I've seen a FPS that is also a turn based RPG. It's got a unique look too:

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/2/b/1/gfs_268647_2_2_mid.jpg

http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/6/f/2/gfs_268647_2_3_mid.jpg

Might and Magic (not the tbs one) was actually a turned based first person RPG game. Fun as hell, too. Back in the day...

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Bro SMASH

There is more to it than that and you know it.

Bentley
Originally posted by appletonia

FFVIII is better than FFVII. But yes, it's a very underrated game.

Agreed, fun game didn't get the attention it deserved.

Quincy
anyone ever play Enslaved?

Smasandian
Yeah, great game.

KingD19
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West? That game was pretty awesome.

The Warriors game by Rockstar was amazing.

Bro SMASH
There is more to it than that and you know it.

Oh yeah, there's also people overreacting to the KO system too, though that doesn't get talked about as much as the roster.

In the end, that's why it's an underrated game.

Nemesis X
Oh yeah, there's also people overreacting to the KO system too, though that doesn't get talked about as much as the roster.

In the end, that's why it's an underrated game.

On that, we agree.

Unrelated to the above posts, another game that's been feeling seriously underrated is Fable II. Some people actually claim the third installment was better even before the Traitor's Keep expansion was released for it.

Nemesis X
Oh my god I forgot about Bio Freaks and War Gods. Anyone who had a Nintendo 64, loved fighting games, and had older siblings sneaking things past their parents in the 90's would know about those guilty pleasures. Sucks that they were Midway games and I doubt anyone bought the rights to those two before the company went out of business which is unfortunate. I would've bought the HD rereleases for nostalgia's sake.

Kazenji
I use to have Bio-Freaks for the PS1.

Ridley_Prime
Oh my god I forgot about Bio Freaks and War Gods. Anyone who had a Nintendo 64, loved fighting games, and had older siblings sneaking things past their parents in the 90's would know about those guilty pleasures. Sucks that they were Midway games and I doubt anyone bought the rights to those two before the company went out of business which is unfortunate. I would've bought the HD rereleases for nostalgia's sake.
Damn... Wish I had known of those games back then. The main fighting games I had on the 64 was like Fighter's Destiny and one or two other obscure ones.

Surtur
I also think Torchlight 2 is an underrated game. I've been playing it on Steam a lot recently, just got my Embermage to level 27. Yes my animal companion is a wolf I named Bosley.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.