Spiderman returning in an MCU film.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

One_Angry_Scot
From the Hollywood reporter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-swings-marvel-studios-772127

I know it was already mentioned in another thread but I thought to have some centralized discussion in this thread would be good.

One_Angry_Scot
Spider-Man looks to be appearing in the Captain America: Civil War film.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/sinister-six-delayed-at-sony-spider-man-to-appear-in-captain-america-civil-war

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by One_Angry_Scot
Spider-Man looks to be appearing in the Captain America: Civil War film.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/02/10/sinister-six-delayed-at-sony-spider-man-to-appear-in-captain-america-civil-war

Sinister Six movie still going ahead? That's strange, seen as TASM2 set up SS, and yet the TASM series is being rebooted.

StiltmanFTW
Garfield replaced, thank God...

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Sinister Six movie still going ahead? That's strange, seen as TASM2 set up SS, and yet the TASM series is being rebooted.

From what I read in an article was that Sony still has the rights to Spider-Man, in the sense that they can govern what happens to Spider-Man in a film if it's something they don't like. Marvel just gets the benefit of allowing to have him appear in a film.

DARTH POWER
From what I read in an article was that Sony still has the rights to Spider-Man, in the sense that they can govern what happens to Spider-Man in a film if it's something they don't like. Marvel just gets the benefit of allowing to have him appear in a film.

Yeah but it's a shared Universe between them now. That alone means there will have to be major collaboration between the studios in everything they do.

I mean Sony can't have the Sinister Six destroying New York without discussing with Marvel what that will mean for the MCU.

Similarly Marvel can't have Spider-Man revealing his secret identity to the world in Civil War without discussing with Sony what that would mean for their Solo Spider-Man movies.

juggernaut74
So we're going to have two different Spidey's on the bigscreen?

One_Angry_Scot
Yeah but it's a shared Universe between them now. That alone means there will have to be major collaboration between the studios in everything they do.

I mean Sony can't have the Sinister Six destroying New York without discussing with Marvel what that will mean for the MCU.

Similarly Marvel can't have Spider-Man revealing his secret identity to the world in Civil War without discussing with Sony what that would mean for their Solo Spider-Man movies.

And I am just sitting here waiting for a Sentry film or appearance...

But yeah who do you want to see playing Spider-Man?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by juggernaut74
So we're going to have two different Spidey's on the bigscreen?

No just the one. Garfield is out.

DARTH POWER

But yeah who do you want to see playing Spider-Man?

Honestly not thought about it. I loved Garfield in the role but am more than happy to have him leave for Spider-Man to be in the MCU.

As long as it's a half decent actor I'm not bothered. Because once he puts that mask on Spidey is Spidey whoever plays him. But I do hope he keeps the cocky sense of humor Garfield had. That is how Spidey is in the comics anyway.

Golgo13
I hated Garfield, TBH. Glad we're getting a new one.

AMC movie talk segment.

phR-Q2u8aJA

BruceSkywalker
if anyone whether it be internet trolls or not want someone hired to be of old age, think again, the actor hired will be someone younger than that sorry ass Garfield was

http://www.superherohype.com/news/329567-get-ready-for-a-much-younger-spider-man

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
if anyone whether it be internet trolls or not want someone hired to be of old age, think again, the actor hired will be someone younger than that sorry ass Garfield was

http://www.superherohype.com/news/329567-get-ready-for-a-much-younger-spider-man

This article as well is saying Sinister Six and Female Spider related movies still happening. I don't get that.

roughrider
I still think Marvel & Disney could have waited Sony out, and eventually gotten the rights free and clear. The latter was the desperate party here; the MCU is the biggest franchise going right now. They don't need to do favours for a rival.

I guess they really care about old Webhead...

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by roughrider

Of course they do. He's always been Marvel's Poster Boy. It would be like Dc not being able to use Superman or Batman. Although that probably aided Marvel in its Mega success with smaller properties.

It wasn't about financial need/greed for them at this point. It was the sentiment of being able to use their No.1 Icon. It was about fan satisfaction. The fans who used to buy those Marvel comics to see Spider-Man team up with the Avengers.

And as far as I can tell they haven't invested much(if any) financial risk in this deal.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Golgo13

AMC movie talk segment.

phR-Q2u8aJA

Man that was a seriously boring analysis of the biggest Superhero movie news since the announcement of Batman vs Superman.

Where the heck was Kristian Harloff?

Golgo13
So psyched about this! My favorite Marvel character aside from Hulk and Wolverine interacting with the likes of Thor, Hulk, and possibly GOTG. Good news all around.

Henry_Pym
Can you guys imagine the mark out moment when Spidey shows up in the Iron spider armor.

I hope he's in Avengers 3 along with the Netflix guys.

BruceSkywalker
This article as well is saying Sinister Six and Female Spider related movies still happening. I don't get that.

i don't either but i guess its all part of the deal

JayDaDon
The only Female spidey film I think would be cool is Spider-gwen.

DARTH POWER
So psyched about this! My favorite Marvel character aside from Hulk and Wolverine interacting with the likes of Thor, Hulk, and possibly GOTG. Good news all around.

I know. This is the biggest news since the announcement of Batman vs Superman.

Spidey was always my favorite Marvel character as a kid, and is still my 2nd favorite after Thor.

Although I'd be more excited to see him team up with Hulk than Thor. Thor doesn't really need team up's stick out tongue

Originally posted by JayDaDon
The only Female spidey film I think would be cool is Spider-gwen.

Well we can have any Spider-Woman now, as they'll be no issue as to who has the rights.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by roughrider
I still think Marvel & Disney could have waited Sony out, and eventually gotten the rights free and clear. The latter was the desperate party here; the MCU is the biggest franchise going right now. They don't need to do favours for a rival.

Well looks as though Marvel actually paid nothing for this deal, and are doing it completely risk free:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/

I guess the biggest risk they're taking is if Sony still makes bad Spider-Man movies it might reflect bad on Marvel as well. But let's face it, do Marvel even have the time/resources to start making Spider-Man movies right now with everything else on their plate?

So Win-Win all around really.

BruceSkywalker
http://www.superherohype.com/news/329659-who-will-play-the-new-spider-man

JayDaDon
Id be happy with either of those two names playing Spidey.

SamZED
EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Although sorry for Garfield.

Still.. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

StiltmanFTW
You feel sorry for him after tasm2?

SamZED
Honestly I still don't get the hate the movie received, it was "overcrowded" but by no means a bad movie. In fact this is the only Spider-man movie where Spider-man was in character the whole time (The first one had less time due to the origin story). Also most of the people complaining about Garfield are "Tobey fans" because he is "perfect for the role of Spider-man" somehow. I guess people are just tired of Spider-man movies. And Sony didn't help it but shoving yet another origin story down our throats.

At the same time I don't get the love DOTFP gets. Other than the Pietro scene I barely remember it. Crapload of characters, angsty Mistique as the main antagonist of all people, and the second you watch the trailer you know it's going to be one of those overly complicated time traveling movies that rape the established continuity. Which it did. Might've as well rebooted the whole thing. I enjoyed the second Wolverine solo movie a whole lot more. Minus the Robo-Samurai that is.

Speaking of which, I'm willing to do all kinds of nasty sex stuff for Fox's CEO just so they'd lend Logan to Marvel long enough for us to get the New Avengers movie.

JayDaDon
I'm starting to really see Dylan Obrien as Parker, mostly due to his roles in Teen wolf and the Internship. How about you sam?

TheHulk
Originally posted by SamZED
EEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

Although sorry for Garfield.

Still.. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! this. Happy but seriously loved AG....

SamZED
I'm starting to really see Dylan Obrien as Parker, mostly due to his roles in Teen wolf and the Internship. How about you sam? He's got the looks that's for sure. That said I haven't watched Teen wolf so don't know him as an actor. Think he can pull off both Spidey/Pete?

Originally posted by TheHulk
this. Happy but seriously loved AG.... Saddest of all - he's a true Spidey fan.

StiltmanFTW
@Sam

What the quack don't you get? Overcrowded? No, that wasn't the problem. Everything else was. Including CGI and - obviously - acting. Easily one of the worst movies in the history of comic book movies. People won't forget it.

2014 was a truly incredible year for cb films. Tasm 2 was the only exception. The black sheep.

What's your problem with DoFP? It was respectful towards the entire series, done really well. Magneto = epic win.

Winter Soldier. Gotg. Sin City 2. Everything stomped Tasm 2 which only good scene was the neck snapping from whiplash effect, true to the books.

JayDaDon
He's got the looks that's for sure. That said I haven't watched Teen wolf so don't know him as an actor. Think he can pull off both Spidey/Pete?

Saddest of all - he's a true Spidey fan.

He didn't jump out to me as the obvious choice until I thought of him in Internship and TW. He's DEFINITELY got that smartass quality and in the Internship he did look nerdy while still looking like someone MJ would give a second glance. The big surprise usually comes with how they handle being under the mask, but I think he could very easily tap into the character.

Firefly218
I'd take Logan Lerman rather than O'Brian as spidey

ares834
Is take neither. Hell, I'd rather have Garfield back than either of those two clowns.

SamZED
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
@Sam

What the quack don't you get? Overcrowded? No, that wasn't the problem. Everything else was. Including CGI and - obviously - acting. Easily one of the worst movies in the history of comic book movies. People won't forget it.

2014 was a truly incredible year for cb films. Tasm 2 was the only exception. The black sheep.

What's your problem with DoFP? It was respectful towards the entire series, done really well. Magneto = epic win.

Winter Soldier. Gotg. Sin City 2. Everything stomped Tasm 2 which only good scene was the neck snapping from whiplash effect, true to the books.

I just don't see it. Think it's the case of "jumping on the bandwagon". Or could be I'm overlooking some of movie's sins because Spider-man was in character for the first time on the big screen. Either way it's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

Respect? It shat on the series. "Hey, kids! Remember those x-men movies you love and grew up watching? They no longer count! Retcon bitchezzz!" The whole movie was a time travel cliche that were so popular in the 80s when the comicbook came out. All the main characters die so dramatically... except not really (honestly were you fooled even for a second?) Also Stilt remember when you were a kid and every week you were dying to read all about Magneto/Xavier/Mistique love triangle in the x-men comics? I vaguely remember that. In the same issue where Kitty discovered her time travel powers for the first time. I could go on but there was a Family Guy episode that sums it up a lot better. Bryan: So none of this really happened? Isn't that like a giant FU to all the people who wasted time watching it? Stewie: Yeah well, who gives a crap.

Tbh GOTG and Winter Soldier stomped all over both TASM and DOTFP. No contest.

SamZED
He didn't jump out to me as the obvious choice until I thought of him in Internship and TW. He's DEFINITELY got that smartass quality and in the Internship he did look nerdy while still looking like someone MJ would give a second glance. The big surprise usually comes with how they handle being under the mask, but I think he could very easily tap into the character. If they choose him I'm gonna have to watch Teen wolf, just to get the idea. big grin

StiltmanFTW
"Some" sins? It's a chore to go through that poor excuse for a movie. Not a single actor was likable. Hell, couldn't watch it without pausing it a few times. And remember, I haven't complained shit about any previous webhead movies. Even though Tasm 1 now kind of looks bad, that's how awful the sequel is.

DoFP, not DoTFP. It had Tyrion Lannister in it; your argument is invalid. Retcons happen all the time, your own walllicker got rebooted. Who knows, probably getting the treatment again, now, as we speak.

I hope Jester and Jack will rape Parker on the big screen. That's what he deserves.

DARTH POWER

Respect? It shat on the series. "Hey, kids! Remember those x-men movies you love and grew up watching? They no longer count! Retcon bitchezzz!"

Don't really agree given it worked wonders for Star Trek.

Plus they may never have happened but Wolverine remembers them all, and let's face it, they were all just Wolverine movies, so he's really the only guy who needs to remember. So his character development (the only character development in those movies) still counts, because he still remembers all that.

So yeah I'm not crying over that Original timeline, the one where Cyclops lived and died a useless life, being wiped out.

That being said I also completely disagree with StiltmanFTW. Garfield was an Awesome Spider-Man, And the romance between Gwen and Peter was a really nice one. As was the whole concept of TASM Imho.

SamZED
"Some" sins? It's a chore to go through that poor excuse for a movie. Not a single actor was likable. Hell, couldn't watch it without pausing it a few times. And remember, I haven't complained shit about any previous webhead movies. Even though Tasm 1 now kind of looks bad, that's how awful the sequel is.

DoFP, not DoTFP. It had Tyrion Lannister in it; your argument is invalid. Retcons happen all the time, your own walllicker got rebooted. Who knows, probably getting the treatment again, now, as we speak.

I hope Jester and Jack will rape Parker on the big screen. That's what he deserves. What EVAH Rhino car chase is still the best and most accurate depiction of Spider-man on screen. You never complained before because you secretly like Tobey, give it up, I figured you out.

"DoFP, not DoTFP" really, Stilt? Really? I expected better from you. Yeah, they rebooted the movie. That's a whole different story. DOFP actually made a retcon within the same movie universe, that's considered a lazy writing when it happens in comics. Even if it happens once every three decades. Seriously, DoFP is the Brand New Day of comicbook movies.

Jester is what Sabertooth wishes to be when he becomes a real villain. evil face

SamZED
Don't really agree given it worked wonders for Star Trek.

Plus they may never have happened but Wolverine remembers them all, and let's face it, they were all just Wolverine movies, so he's really the only guy who needs to remember. So his character development (the only character development in those movies) still counts, because he still remembers all that.

So yeah I'm not crying over that Original timeline, the one where Cyclops lived and died a useless life, being wiped out.

That being said I also completely disagree with StiltmanFTW. Garfield was an Awesome Spider-Man, And the romance between Gwen and Peter was a really nice one. As was the whole concept of TASM Imho. thumb up I enjoyed their chemistry. Didn't watch Star Trek. Thought it was a reboot, not a retcon?

StiltmanFTW
Rhino car chase was dumb. 'Come to daddy' line while catching shit almost made me vomit. Tobey wasn't in tasm1 and you didn't hear me say a thing.

Even Mindset liked dofp. And usually he doesn't notice anything that doesn't have several rape scenes in it.

Sabretooth, not Sabertooth.

ares834
TASM2 was so bad they are rebooting the franchise... Again!

DARTH POWER
thumb up I enjoyed their chemistry. Didn't watch Star Trek. Thought it was a reboot, not a retcon?

It was retcon like DOFP. Time Travel changed the past so the future is all changed and open. But they did mention the words "Alternate reality". So many Star Trek fans are assuming the original Trek still exists as another reality. But I personally think the alternate reality they referred to was the changing timeline.

Although I really enjoyed both DOFP and the new Star Trek, I do agree that they should either do Pure Prequels (like X-Men: First Class) or Pure Reboots (like MOS or Batman Begins).

Because Time Travel retcons get caught between the confusing "Is this a Prequel or a Reboot" grey area. The new Terminator's also taking that route.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ares834

It's being rebooted to fit into the MCU without confusion. Not because TASM2 was bad. Although TASM2's underwhelming financial performance likely did make Sony open to a deal with Marvel.

JayDaDon
If they choose him I'm gonna have to watch Teen wolf, just to get the idea. big grin

Or just check the Internship. It's been a while since I saw it but from what I remember, he was pretty much Peter Parker in the flesh whilst being kind of a dick.

http://www.heyuguys.com/images/2013/07/The-Internship-2.jpg

SamZED
@Stilt That's a very Spider-man thing to say, you didn't like it because you're still struggling with your latent attraction to the character, it'll pass. Also if you can stomach one second of Tobey's Spider-man voice nothing should make you nauseous.

Must be that Mystique bullet scene, felt pretty rapey. Also your childhood should feel violated after watching DoFP. That counts as rape too.

Nobody cares what that loser's called, Stilt. Nobody cares.

SamZED
Or just check the Internship. It's been a while since I saw it but from what I remember, he was pretty much Peter Parker in the flesh whilst being kind of a dick.

http://www.heyuguys.com/images/2013/07/The-Internship-2.jpg Looks awesome. Parker chilling at the DB. big grin

SamZED
It was retcon like DOFP. Time Travel changed the past so the future is all changed and open. But they did mention the words "Alternate reality". So many Star Trek fans are assuming the original Trek still exists as another reality. But I personally think the alternate reality they referred to was the changing timeline.

Although I really enjoyed both DOFP and the new Star Trek, I do agree that they should either do Pure Prequels (like X-Men: First Class) or Pure Reboots (like MOS or Batman Begins).

Because Time Travel retcons get caught between the confusing "Is this a Prequel or a Reboot" grey area. The new Terminator's also taking that route. Maybe it works better for some than others. I'm biased, don't like retcons and time travel movies. DoFT has both. sad

StiltmanFTW
laughing out loud

Pretty much, yes.

SamZED
laughing out loud

Pretty much, yes. Are you ignoring me? miffed

NEED. ATTENTION!!!

Firefly218
thumb up I enjoyed their chemistry. Didn't watch Star Trek. Thought it was a reboot, not a retcon?
It was pretty much a retcon

StiltmanFTW
Are you ignoring me? miffed

NEED. ATTENTION!!!
Norman with a "scary" voice, bs disease and claws. Pussy Harry aka angry retard. Jaimie Fox trying to get the worst actor ever award by playing an awkward spidey fanboy who sucks balls at everything and gets raped by mutated eels.

Goblin getting ko'd and sleeping through everything instead of getting punished for killing Stacey. Lame ass jokes, lame ass dialogues, lame ass cgi, lame ass everything. The movie was a disaster.

Tasm2 = IM3 = Batman and Robin. That bad, yes.

Superman Returns looks like a masterpiece compared to it.

Firefly218

Tasm2 = IM3 = Batman and Robin. That bad, yes.

More like...

IM3 > TASM2 >>>>>>>>>>> Batman and Robin

JayDaDon
Yeah anybody comparing ASM2 to batman and robin sounds like an outright hater.

DARTH POWER
^ Yeah TASM2 and IM3 were massive disappointments. Batman and Robin though was just on a proper level of "this sucks."

DARTH POWER
Good article explaining why Marvel won't go for X-Men like they did for Spider-Man anytime soon:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2015/02/marvel_comic_book_movies_wolverine.php

WhiteWitchKing
Good article explaining why Marvel won't go for X-Men like they did for Spider-Man anytime soon:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/artattack/2015/02/marvel_comic_book_movies_wolverine.php

MCU can go around this by just having a few mutants living among man kind: Wolverine, Apocalpyse, Xavier, Magneto, etc. in Phase 4 or 5. Have a Marvel event where the Power Gem or Reality Gem ripples throughout the Earth and activating the X gene latent in humans thanks to the Celestials. A revise House of M no more mutant deal. Have somebody like Apocalypse do it. As the world fills up with mutants, man kind becomes wary and fearful of all super heroes. Xavier forms the X-Men to fight for peace between the mutants and human. Magneto uses this opportunity to fight for mutant dominance. The Avengers still protect mankind but is less trusted by the population. This gives way to the Dark Reign type story line where Norman Obsorn and Hammer to over the police of the world.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by WhiteWitchKing
MCU can go around this by just having a few mutants living among man kind: Wolverine, Apocalpyse, Xavier, Magneto, etc.

Yeah something like that could work. Since they already have 2 (QS and SW). I just think it would be complicated introducing a whole race of mutants at this point. (The Inhumans are mostly in their own hidden city presumably).

You know David Koepp recently gave his ideas for the Spider-Man movies (how he wanted to do it) with different series of films with different continuities:

http://screenrant.com/spider-man-david-koepp-franchise-ideas/

I really think he's on to something, if the different superhero studios would pay attention to that idea.

Fox could begin a new X-Men continuity working with Marvel to take place in the MCU and call the new films something different like "Uncanny X-Men," whilst still carrying on the Hugh Jackman movies separately.

Similarly Sony could carry on with their new MCU Spider-Man calling it "Spectacular Spider-Man" or whatever, whilst simultaneously finishing off their TASM series with Garfield, and do their Sinister Six stuff in the TASM Universe (they already wasted a movie building that up).

I think that would really work for all the studios, and give Marvel all their own characters back to play with. And hey different continuities at the same time have often taken place in the comic world.

I guess anything's possible now after the Marvel/Sony deal. Feige's really made film history with that deal Imho.

Firefly218
As long as we're getting good movies from Fox, I'd prefer X-Men and MCU stay separate.

Spidey and MCU though, that's match just fits.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Firefly218
As long as we're getting good movies from Fox, I'd prefer X-Men and MCU stay separate.

I don't mind that either tbh, because X-Men is such a Huge Universe in and of itself. They've actually got 3 X-Men related films out next year (Deadpool, Apocalypse and Gambit) and they can do all the crossovers they want between them. Not to mention they have Fantastic Four. Assuming they ever do anything good with that, they can cross that over with X-Men. So they have their own Marvel Universe to play with really.

But what do you think of the idea of making another X-Men Universe Fox can share with Marvel while carrying on the Singer series as well?

Spidey and MCU though, that's match just fits.

thumb up

Marvel's Poster Boy and Biggest Icon sat all alone with Sony was just wrong.

DARTH POWER
Won't be happy if this is true. I want Peter Parker to be in the MCU. Miles Morales can come later but Parker first for me please. Otherwise my excitement for this will suddenly drop if Parker is a casualty of Spider-Man's transfer to the MCU:

https://uk.yahoo.com/movies/next-spider-man-may-be-miles-morales-not-peter-111650967329.html

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/21/rumor-spider-man-likely-wont-be-white-nor-will-he-be-peter-parke/

JayDaDon
Didnt marvel say it would be Peter in civil war atleast?

Golgo13
I think they might go with Morales, because of the whole diversity issue. Wb/dc has a bunch of diversity when it's all said and done. Aquaman, Cyborg, Black Adam, Wonder Woman, etc... all non white. Will Smith as Deadshot, too. Not to mention Marvel is seriously looking to Angelina directing Captain Marvel. Following WB's decision for hiring McLaren to direct WW.

I can easily see Peter, but if they get Morales, it's likely because they want diversity. I'll be happy with either.

DARTH POWER
Didnt marvel say it would be Peter in civil war atleast?

The guy from the Wrap is saying it might still be Peter Parker but either way he almost definitely won't be white:

http://screenrant.com/spider-man-marvel-reboot-2017-casting-race/

This is the bit that's worrying me:

White actors are still going out for Spider-Man but their reps are telling me they think Sony is leaning "ethnic."

So white actors from the get go are not going to have much chance of landing this part. So there goes your Dylan O Brian and Logan Lerman.

I think Sony still doesn't get the most important thing is to get an actor whose going to own the part. Not leaning to one color or another to try and prove a point.

ares834
Have Peter Parker (played by Tobey Maguire) serve as a mentor for Miles.

thumb up

DARTH POWER
I think they might go with Morales, because of the whole diversity issue.

Morales is just gonna confuse the heck out of audiences Imo. You can't just switch Spider-Man like that in the next movie. There needs to be a transition.

So if Rhodes takes over as IM, then at least there's been some transition there, first introducing the character then making him War Machine e.t.c.

And it would be such a downer to finally after all these years get Spider-Man in the MCU, only to not have Peter Parker making it there.

I really don't think Sony's in a position with it's Spider-Man franchise to take that kind of risk tbh.

Have Peter Parker (played by Tobey Maguire) serve as a mentor for Miles.

thumb up

Honestly something like that could work. But there has to be that transition from Parker to Morales.

You can't just suddenly ignore Parker and have Morales instead.

Super-flare

This is the bit that's worrying me:

White actors are still going out for Spider-Man but their reps are telling me they think Sony is leaning "ethnic."

So white actors from the get go are not going to have much chance of landing this part. So there goes your Dylan O Brian and Logan Lerman.

I think Sony still doesn't get the most important thing is to get an actor whose going to own the part. Not leaning to one color or another to try and prove a point.

And why does this worry you?

Golgo13
Morales is just gonna confuse the heck out of audiences Imo. You can't just switch Spider-Man like that in the next movie. There needs to be a transition.

So if Rhodes takes over as IM, then at least there's been some transition there, first introducing the character then making him War Machine e.t.c.

And it would be such a downer to finally after all these years get Spider-Man in the MCU, only to not have Peter Parker making it there.

I really don't think Sony's in a position with it's Spider-Man franchise to take that kind of risk tbh.

Honestly something like that could work. But there has to be that transition from Parker to Morales.

You can't just suddenly ignore Parker and have Morales instead.

Good points. Although, if they go with a black Peter Parker, I'd be disappointed. I'd rather have Morales instead.

Firefly218
Good points. Although, if they go with a black Peter Parker, I'd be disappointed. I'd rather have Morales instead.
Marvel aint Fox, they're not gonna make Peter Parker black

Super-flare
Marvel aint Fox, they're not gonna make Peter Parker black

They will.

JayDaDon
Were basing all this off of what one random dude says though? I'm gonna need something more concrete.

ares834
"One random dude"? Sure, he could be wrong. But let's not pretend this is some random guy talking out of his ass.

JayDaDon
He's a reporter *shrug* nothing confirmed or even close

DARTH POWER
Were basing all this off of what one random dude says though? I'm gonna need something more concrete.

He's known for breaking superhero scoops. He's heard rumours from studio reps, but I also think he wants this and thinks it's a great idea which is why he's saying "95%". But even on his twitter he has noted white actors can still audition.

I'd honestly say it's 50/50 at this point.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Super-flare
And why does this worry you?

Because if they're "leaning" towards a certain colour then they're not looking for the actor whose going to "own" the role and instead are looking to be bold and lead a massive policy change to the comic book movie world.

And look if they do this at this point then either they jump straight into Miles Morales and ignore Peter Parker which I think would be a terrible idea, or they possibly make Parker black which I don't see the need for when you can transition to Miles Morales later on.

But if they're casting Parker but looking at ALL races to find the guy who Owns the role, then I'm all for it.

I mean why they just going for black/latino? Why not then consider chinese and indian as well?

JayDaDon
I'll just take the Golgo mindset and wait until we get something more official.

DARTH POWER
I'll just take the Golgo mindset and wait until we get something more official.

Fair enough. I would just prepare for the possible shock now though. The gist I'm getting is they (Sony) are looking for a radically different take on the character to keep people interested, seen as this is the 2nd reboot in the last few years.

Although I would personally think being in the MCU would get everyone interested enough.

JayDaDon
Im also wondering what marvel is thinking on this. If those plans dont line up with Marvel's cap 3 we may end up with 2 Spideys.

Firefly218
There's no reason to change the race. **** diversity.

DARTH POWER
There's no reason to change the race. **** diversity.

laughing out loud

So true.

Honestly I hate this idea just as much as I would hate them making Blade white.

Bring in Miles Morales later on if they want to diversify, but first I want Peter Parker interacting with Tony Stark and the Hulk. We've waited years for this, so I hate this idea.

JayDaDon
They cant keep saying diversity if they keep making everyone black. That isnt diversity. Making some asian, indian, latino, THATS diversity

DARTH POWER
They cant keep saying diversity if they keep making everyone black. That isnt diversity. Making some asian, indian, latino, THATS diversity

Exactly!

thumb up

Firefly218
To be fair, there aren't very many Indians or Asians in hollywood. Latino ppl like me look white, so they don't count. Black people are the easiest to diversify with.

Kazenji
The Dark times have begun at Sony

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/markcassidycbm/news/?a=115753

Existere
Morales is just gonna confuse the heck out of audiences Imo. Lol, we can trust audiences to understand and accept all the characters within Guardians of the Galaxy, but not a different, black (and latino!) Spider-Man?

Just market it properly, and any confusion about switching from Peter to Miles would be minimal.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Existere
Lol, we can trust audiences to understand and accept all the characters within Guardians of the Galaxy, but not a different, black (and latino!) Spider-Man?

Just market it properly, and any confusion about switching from Peter to Miles would be minimal.

If there's no mention of Peter Parker then yeah its gonna confuse the heck of of audiences. Heck I know people who were slightly confused with the TASM reboot.

You're GOTG point is completely irrelevant seen as they were all new characters to the big screen.

Kazenji
Don't get your hopes up for those that have bothered to read the link i posted.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Kazenji
Don't get your hopes up for those that have bothered to read the link i posted.

I'm not too worried about Tim Roth seen as Marvel will be calling most the shots now. Unless everyone at Sony are Completely High, they will do whatever Feige tells them is best.

But if this deal between Sony and Marvel breaks down after the first MCU Spider-Man solo film, then we'll know why.

Kazenji
New Details On Just How Much Control Marvel Studios Has Over SPIDER-MAN

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=115816

DARTH POWER
Hope this is true. Drew Goddard would be a Great choice:

http://www.latino-review.com/news/exclusive-marvel-and-sonys-spider-man-writer-and-director-revealed

Golgo13
Not familiar with Goddard. Why is he a good choice?

JayDaDon
He wrote and directed Cabin in the woods. Good choice for Spider-man.

Henry_Pym
He's Joss Whedons friend.

Thus the nut riders like him, (not directed at Jay) it's the same as the Nolanites.

I'm more excited for Spideys rogues being in the mcu than Spidey himself.

JayDaDon
I didnt know he was friends with whedon. I say hes a good choice because based off of CITW he seems very comfortable with genre films.

Henry_Pym
Whedon helped him write Cabin in the woods.

BruceSkywalker

he would be fracking awesome to do Spidey

Golgo13
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Whedon helped him write Cabin in the woods.

Yeah, he hasn't done enough for me to get excited about. I'm not THAT crazy about Cabin in the Woods.

Kazenji
He's also done alot of writing

Daredevil netflix show is his current work.

Firefly218
Yeah, he hasn't done enough for me to get excited about. I'm not THAT crazy about Cabin in the Woods.
Goddard wrote several brilliant episodes of Buffy, Angel and Alias. He also wrote for the TV show Lost.

He even did a terrific job with Cloverfield.

DARTH POWER
^ Yep. People should read this guy's resume before saying "this is nothing to get excited about".

He was also spearheading the upcoming Daredevil series for Marvel, before he quit that to do Sinister Six. And Marvel was happy with his work/ideas on that.
Sony have also tried to hang on to his Sinister Six concept throughout the whole Spider-Man reboot, so he must have had some great ideas which they didn't want to let go of.

So yeah this isn't confirmed, but if it's true this would be a really good choice. The kind of choice Marvel would make.

Kazenji
^ Yep. People should read this guy's resume before saying "this is nothing to get excited about".

That person is probably too lazy to him up on Imdb.

Henry_Pym
Goddard wrote several brilliant episodes of Buffy, Angel and Alias. He also wrote for the TV show Lost.

He even did a terrific job with Cloverfield. you mean he is Whedons friend?

The less said about Lost the better, the writing in that show wasn't its strong suit

BruceSkywalker

He was also spearheading the upcoming Daredevil series for Marvel, before he quit that to do Sinister Six. And Marvel was happy with his work/ideas on that.
Sony have also tried to hang on to his Sinister Six concept throughout the whole Spider-Man reboot, so he must have had some great ideas which they didn't want to let go of.

So yeah this isn't confirmed, but if it's true this would be a really good choice. The kind of choice Marvel would make.

well you know who golgo is waiting to get approval from and then he'll get all excited about Goddard..

IHMO, Goddard is good for this as I believe he will do a kickass job

Firefly218
you mean he is Whedons friend?

The less said about Lost the better, the writing in that show wasn't its strong suit
Yeah, he's friends with Whedon. That's not the reason for his hiring though. Sony had Goddard working on Spiderman long before Marvel made the deal for Spiderman.

I actually haven't seen Lost, so I can't speak for it. I have seen every episode of Buffy, Angel and Alias he's written, and it's easy to tell that he's a terrific writer. Cabin in the Woods had shown he can be a great director too.

Also, I've heard jj abrams praise Goddard on many occasions. That's gotta carry some weight.

Golgo13
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
well you know who golgo is waiting to get approval from and then he'll get all excited about Goddard..

IHMO, Goddard is good for this as I believe he will do a kickass job

Who?

Golgo13

I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but there is nothing on his resume that gets me pumped up.

DARTH POWER
I'm not saying it's going to be bad, but there is nothing on his resume that gets me pumped up.

But weren't you pumped up for the Wonder Woman director because she's directed a few episodes of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones?

I'd say working Buffy and Angel is good experience for a property like Spider-Man. Plus he's a talented guy in terms of his ideas.

Firefly218
There was nothing to get pumped up about on the Russo Brothers' resume before Cap 2 or Jon Favreau's resume before Iron Man.

Inhuman

YES! Very good choice, WB!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=57316

thumb up Yeah, and supposedly she is the co writer for the movie. Couldn't be more happy. Michelle has proven herself.

Has she written anything good before?

Nothing major, but she's going to have a writing team behind her. It's her directing skills that are important.

Originally posted by krisblaze
Then why couldn't you be more happy?

Like I said, nothing major. It's her directing that I'm excited about. Plus, she's not writing this alone. She'll have a team.

Originally posted by krisblaze
Okay, so nothing major.

But what has she written?

Obviously "you couldn't be more excited" for a reason. What is that reason?

haermm

Golgo13
But weren't you pumped up for the Wonder Woman director because she's directed a few episodes of Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones?

I'd say working Buffy and Angel is good experience for a property like Spider-Man. Plus he's a talented guy in terms of his ideas.

I've been actually impressed with her episodes unlike Goddard. I'm not a huge Cabin In the Woods fan. Like I said, IMO, Goddard hasn't done anything that has impressed me. That does not equate for the movie being bad.

Golgo13
There was nothing to get pumped up about on the Russo Brothers' resume before Cap 2 or Jon Favreau's resume before Iron Man.

Right. I didn't say the movie is going to suck, just asking what he has done that people are getting pumped up about. Films like Cloverfield and Cabin in the Woods isn't an automatic slam dunk for me.

DARTH POWER

Exactly! Goddard would be a very "Marvel" choice. Finding someone talented but who hasn't done a major blockbuster yet.

DARTH POWER
I've been actually impressed with her episodes unlike Goddard.

Just like I've been impressed with Goddard's work on Buffy and Angel. Which are pretty relevant franchises. Anyone who can do Buffy well would likely do High School Spider-Man well Imho.

Add to that his passion for the Spider-Man Universe makes this a Great choice (IF it's true).

Golgo13
Just like I've been impressed with Goddard's work on Buffy and Angel. Which are pretty relevant franchises. Anyone who can do Buffy well would likely do High School Spider-Man well Imho.

Add to that his passion for the Spider-Man Universe makes this a Great choice (IF it's true).

I'm only speaking for myself, of course! But people here get sensitive when people question Marvel like they can do no wrong. laughing out loud But that's hardly the case, IMO. They've done some great stuff (Primarily Avengers and GOTG), but half of their films are average to below.

Time will tell who the director is, but for me, Goddard is a question mark. At least for me. Seeing as he's working with Whedon, it will probably be good, anyway.

Henry_Pym
Yeah, he's friends with Whedon. That's not the reason for his hiring though. Sony had Goddard working on Spiderman long before Marvel made the deal for Spiderman.

I actually haven't seen Lost, so I can't speak for it. I have seen every episode of Buffy, Angel and Alias he's written, and it's easy to tell that he's a terrific writer. Cabin in the Woods had shown he can be a great director too.

Also, I've heard jj abrams praise Goddard on many occasions. That's gotta carry some weight. you have any proof that Goddard has been working on Spider-Man before December? And that's just the date of the leak.

Sony saw what Whedons did for Avengers and I'd say it's easily traceable that Whedons recommended him. Also working on your buddy's show isn't a great show of ability.

Firefly218
you have any proof that Goddard has been working on Spider-Man before December? And that's just the date of the leak.

Sony saw what Whedons did for Avengers and I'd say it's easily traceable that Whedons recommended him. Also working on your buddy's show isn't a great show of ability.

News came out that Goddard was writing the Sinister Six script in the beginning of 2014, well before Sony got fvcked with TASM 2.

You have any proof Whedon recommended him? And even if he did, Sony won't just take his word for gospel.

Working on his buddy's show? You do realize that Goddard had to write a spec script, interview and compete to get a job on Buffy. It was only after Goddard was hired and did quality Buffy work that he and Whedon became friends. Also, Whedon wasn't even the person who first hired Goddard. Marti Knoxin, who became the head writer on Buffy after Whedon went to work on Angel and Firefly, is the one who found, interviewed and hired Goddard.

Be a little optimistic... I'm tellin ya this guy is talented.

Henry_Pym
They take Feigie's as gospel and he LOVES Whedon.

I'm fine with him, but I'm not "excited".

Firefly218
They take Feigie's as gospel and he LOVES Whedon.

I'm fine with him, but I'm not "excited".
Anyone who's familiar with Whedon's work that doesn't absolutely LOVE him is insane. The Avengers is actually one of Whedon's weaker works, and that's impressive imo.

Fair enough, I wasn't excited about the Russos either.

Henry_Pym
I STRONGLY disagree, it's far an away the most critically and financially important in his career of work.

thumb up cool

Inhuman

Fair enough, I wasn't excited about the Russos either.

Same. Now I'm actually excited that they are the front runners to direct infinity war over Whedon.

Golgo13
I STRONGLY disagree, it's far an away the most critically and financially important in his career of work.

thumb up cool

I think he means in terms of quality. Avengers was really good either way.

Henry_Pym
I said Criticlly.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Inhuman
Same. Now I'm actually excited that they are the front runners to direct infinity war over Whedon. I doubt marvel is moving away from Whedon, and more to do with him needing time off.

Inhuman
I doubt marvel is moving away from Whedon, and more to do with him needing time off.

My theory is that he will direct Captain Marvel instead, since he is pro portraying powerful women,etc.
Makes sense to me.

Henry_Pym
Depends how the press feels on the fem-spin on WW.

Firefly218
I said Criticlly. I'm referring to quality. As a Whedon fan myself, I consider Buffy, Firefly, Angel and Dr Horrible more emotionally resonant

Originally posted by Inhuman
My theory is that he will direct Captain Marvel instead, since he is pro portraying powerful women,etc.
Makes sense to me.
Nah, as great as that would be I can almost guarantee it won't happen. Whedon is exhausted of big budget studio films and wants to do something original and fresh.

Henry_Pym
Your referring to personal taste not quality.

I love doctor horrible, but it's not better than the Avengers.

Firefly218
Your referring to personal taste not quality.

I love doctor horrible, but it's not better than the Avengers.
Quality is a matter of personal taste. Dr Horrible ALWAYS without fail gets me teary eyed at the end.

Avengers is amazing, but not Whedon's best work.

I think, in terms of writing and directing quality, Whedon's single best work is Firefly episode "Objects in Space". Simply brilliant.

DARTH POWER
So Russo Brothers have signed some 3 year contract with Sony. I guess there's still a chance they'll be taking on the new Spider-Man franchise. (His first appearance will likely be in Civil War a movie they're directing anyway).

I'd personally be really happy with Russo bros or Drew Goddard. Although my personal top choice would be Mathew Vaughn. But he's not even rumored and seems to be working mostly for Fox.

DARTH POWER
^ Ah just read on Ign Russo's could be doing Ghostbuster films with Channing Tatum for Sony.

Firefly218
^ Ah just read on Ign Russo's could be doing Ghostbuster films with Channing Tatum for Sony.
Those guys are getting some serious attention

DARTH POWER
Seems like they're sticking with Peter Parker for now (Thank Goodness):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/key-next-spider-man-movie-783693

ODG
F*cking stupid. Da phuck we need a 3rd Peter Parker for?

Keep Garfield around then. His character's developed the angst and pathos that would help sell the internal struggle that Civil War will surely dip into. Last thing we need is another origin.

It's be like Warner Bro's recasting Superman for the Dawn of Justice movie.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by ODG

It's be like Warner Bro's recasting Superman for the Dawn of Justice movie.

It's a little different in the sense that Marvel's never had Parker on the big screen before. He's always been with Sony.

ODG
^ I really don't want Civil War to suffer because Marvel doesn't have the patience to bring in Spider-Man organically into their MCU. But I can't see it bring avoided now that we have to go through a new Peter Parker introduction. Again.

We had Downey Jr. already. Didn't need Spider-Man, a movie character with significant cinema fatigue to slow down the plot and pace of the movie. I hate this. I wanted Wolverien and mutants alongside Avengers so we could get "AvX." Now we're in danger of getting "Spidey and Friends."

JayDaDon
The last thing I wanted to see was Miles Morales to be honest. As long as they really mean it when they say the character is their most important focus, I'm all for Parker again. As long as they skip past the damn origin.

DARTH POWER
The last thing I wanted to see was Miles Morales to be honest. As long as they really mean it when they say the character is their most important focus, I'm all for Parker again. As long as they skip past the damn origin.

thumb up

I don't mind them transition to Miles a few years down the line, or do a Miles spin off or else world or something. But my excitement for Spider-Man coming to the MCU would suddenly drop by like 80% if I found out Peter Parker was a casualty of that move.

I want to see Parker with the Avengers first, then I don't mind them changing things up and experimenting later. Maybe they will do a whole thing later down the line where Rhodey is IM and Miles is Spider-Man. Wouldn't mind that at all.

But yeah no origin story please. In fact if they gave us Miles Morales now, they would HAVE TO give us another origin story, because nobody knows how Miles got his powers and why he fights crime, and why he calls himself Spider-Man.

Originally posted by ODG
I wanted Wolverien and mutants alongside Avengers so we could get "AvX."

That was never really an option tbh.

Firefly218
thumb up

I don't mind them transition to Miles a few years down the line, or do a Miles spin off or else world or something. But my excitement for Spider-Man coming to the MCU would suddenly drop by like 80% if I found out Peter Parker was a casualty of that move.

I want to see Parker with the Avengers first, then I don't mind them changing things up and experimenting later. Maybe they will do a whole thing later down the line where Rhodey is IM and Miles is Spider-Man. Wouldn't mind that at all.

But yeah no origin story please. In fact if they gave us Miles Morales now, they would HAVE TO give us another origin story, because nobody knows how Miles got his powers and why he fights crime, and why he calls himself Spider-Man.

That was never really an option tbh.

Rhodey is probly gonna die in avengers 2

ODG
The last thing I wanted to see was Miles Morales to be honest. As long as they really mean it when they say the character is their most important focus, I'm all for Parker again. As long as they skip past the damn origin. If they have a brand new actor, either it's the same Peter Parker from ASM or its a brand new Peter Parker with no ties to ASM. Either way, they have to waste time in a Captain America vs Iron Man movie establishing it's the same Peter Parker by revisiting his ASM history or they have to wholly re-establish his different origin (again) to dispel any confusion as to whether he might be the ASM Peter Parker.

And why do they need to waste time reintroducing the same character for the third time in 8 years? If you're going to waste time introducing a character it might be as well be for some character we've never seen before.

There's something I'm a fan of in movies: when a single scene serves several different purposes in advancing the plot.

Example: Boromir picking up the One Ring when Frodo drops it on Carathas Mountain. That single scene foreshadows Boromir's betrayal, demonstrates Aragorn's distrust, reinforces Frodo's vulnerability and importance as the one and only Ringbearer, illustrates the powerful influence of the One Ring, and displays a pretty fantastic mountain landscape that draws you into the world.

Now the opposite for me is also true: I despise scenes that serve no purpose but retreading old plot lines. Needlessly. Captain America: Civil War isn't about Spider-Man, ffs. Don't slow down that movie's plot and waste needless scenes on a 3rd Peer Parker Spider-Man.

They should just make a Spider-Man/Hulk movie if they really wanted to use Peter Parker so bad.

JayDaDon
Actually I think we might not get any of the Spidey origin in Cap 3. I can see a little cheeky introduction scene where we really get to know the personality of the new Parker(because everyone knows his story by now) hopefully they save the "origin" for a quick opening sequence in the Sony made movie similar to how the Incredible Hulk did it.

DARTH POWER
^ Yeah they're not going to waste time on Spider-Man's origin. It will either be an after credit scene in Avengers 2 (probably too late for that) or Ant-Man, or it will be ignored in Cap and done as an intro scene in the next Spider-Man movie.

As long as they call him Peter Parker, there's no need to explain who he is in Cap3. Because we all know who Parker/Spider-Man is. Just like they don't need to explain to us who Batman/Bruce Wayne is in Batman V Superman.

If however it was Miles Morales, then people would be confused, and then a detailed explanation would be required.

Also I expect Spider-Man to have an Important role in Civil War (just like he did in the comics) but I don't expect him to have much screen time in it. And if he does, then he will probably just be replacing what was initially Black Panther's role in the film, so it wouldn't change much about the film itself, or take anything away from Cap. But it will make it an even more anticipated/hyped up movie.

Originally posted by ODG

They should just make a Spider-Man/Hulk movie if they really wanted to use Peter Parker so bad.

That would be sweet. But a duo movie might be difficult under their contract with Sony. Either Sony does a Spider-Man movie with Hulk appearing in it, or Marvel do a Hulk movie with Spider-Man appearing in that. But a proper duo movie like Batman V Superman or Civil War just wouldn't work under their agreement (I don't think).

JayDaDon
It will be very interesting to see how they introduce him in Cap 3 because tons of TONS of people still have no idea he's going to be in it.

DARTH POWER
It will be very interesting to see how they introduce him in Cap 3 because tons of TONS of people still have no idea he's going to be in it.

They will know before it comes out, because he will be shown in the trailers, and all the movie news stuff will be talking about it.

Firefly218
Cap 3 marketing for spiderman might be similar to Avengers marketing for Vision. Rest be assured, Sony's gonna make damn sure ppl know that their spiderman is part of the MCU though.

DARTH POWER
Shortlist of Director's for the new Spider-Man

http://deadline.com/2015/05/spider-man-director-short-list-marvel-sony-1201421161/

^ I'm really gutted that it seems like Drew Goddard is totally out.

CPT Space Bomb
Cap 3 marketing for spiderman might be similar to Avengers marketing for Vision. Rest be assured, Sony's gonna make damn sure ppl know that their spiderman is part of the MCU though. Yah....everyone wants a piece of that Marvel Money making machine right now....lol.

SamZED
Heard a rumor that the title for this film will be "The new avenger". If that's true, I like where this is headed.

ares834
Am I the only one who just doesn't give a shit about this movie? This is the third Spider-Man we've had in 10 years and I'm not a fan of a young kid playing him even if he is supposed to be in high school.

Firefly218
Am I the only one who just doesn't give a shit about this movie? This is the third Spider-Man we've had in 10 years and I'm not a fan of a young kid playing him even if he is supposed to be in high school.

Yes, you're the only one

ares834
Well at least one person in the universe is sane.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>