Game you regret buying.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Spawningpool
Do you have a game you regret buying???
I regret buying Ecco the dolphin... That game just was not for me

Reflassshh
Resident evil 3, nights without sleep as a child are testimony of that regret laughing out loud

dadudemon
Destiny

One_Angry_Scot
Brink for sure.

Smasandian
Hmm, good question.

Destiny, pretty much every sports game aside from MLB The Show and definitely CoD Advanced Warfare.

juggerman
Battle of Z.

Impediment
Destiny, easy.

One_Angry_Scot
Originally posted by Impediment
Destiny, easy.

What is bad about it? Not defending it or anything but I never played it. It didn't appeal to me personally.

Was it a lack of content issue or something?

Smasandian
My problems were:

1. Lack of quality content. No side missions, just shoot things.
2. Boring. Each story mission is the same.
3. Loot system was ****ed.
4. Just small things that were exacerbated by the issues above.

Quincy
Originally posted by Smasandian
My problems were:

1. Lack of quality content. No side missions, just shoot things.
2. Boring. Each story mission is the same.
3. Loot system was ****ed.
4. Just small things that were exacerbated by the issues above.

Tzeentch
Blacksite: Area 51

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Spawningpool
Do you have a game you regret buying???
I regret buying Ecco the dolphin... That game just was not for me
I liked the 2D Ecco.. Heard the 3D ones were worse though.

As for me, Hey You Pikachu!
no expression

Originally posted by juggerman
Battle of Z.
Felt it was solid for an online co-op and multiplayer experience (mostly the former), but with playing offline one would be disappointed (unless they like the AI teammates).

Most DBZ games are just rehashes without that much change, but Battle of Z felt kinda fresh for me (in a good way, and the gameplay seemed easier to catch onto handling, even if it didn't have that much depth), and I liked how it made every fighter their own type (support/assist, interfere, ki blast, melee), making even some of the weakest characters more viable, in addition to them having more retry amounts than the stronger characters.

That was nice team balancing, but for multiplayer, they should've limited how many players can use someone like Broly, SSJ3 Goku, etc. on a team, as having teams of them in certain multiplayer modes is the most unbalanced thing ever, though I guess to be fair, when were DBZ games (at least by Namco) ever balanced? If someone uses like Yamcha against an equally skilled player whose using Kid Buu or something, you know what the result's gonna be.

Nemesis X
Destiny. Never thought I'd ever regret buying a Bungie game sad

Zack Fair

BackFire
I don't really regret buying Destiny. Even though I think it's a mediocre game it came out at a time where there wasn't anything else I was interested in, and it gave me something to play for a month or so, and I put a decent amount of hours into so I got my money's worth.

I regret buying COD: Ghosts. Game's not good. Also regret MGS: Ground Zeroes. It's not bad, but I paid full price for it and it's essentially a demo. Not worth the money.

Zack Fair
Dragon's Age Inquisition.

NemeBro
Originally posted by BackFire
I don't really regret buying Destiny. Even though I think it's a mediocre game it came out at a time where there wasn't anything else I was interested in, and it gave me something to play for a month or so, and I put a decent amount of hours into so I got my money's worth.

I regret buying COD: Ghosts. Game's not good. Also regret MGS: Ground Zeroes. It's not bad, but I paid full price for it and it's essentially a demo. Not worth the money. I'd play ten more playthroughs of Dark Souls before I bought Destiny, to be honest.

Zack Fair
lol

Kazenji
Fallout collection (1, 2 & Tactics)

Bentley

I regret buying COD: Ghosts. Game's not good. Also regret MGS: Ground Zeroes. It's not bad, but I paid full price for it and it's essentially a demo. Not worth the money.

I love your rationalisation of being forced into buy a bad game because a console came out too early. Agreed on MGS: Ground Zeroes though, that was insane.

I can't say I regret buying Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but I certainly got bitter over the fact it didn't have local multiplayer in between different regions. My brother has an american 3DS and I couldn't play with him at all. Phuck that region lock shit.

ares834
Super Smash Bros 3DS.

Originally posted by Zack Fair
Dragon's Age Inquisition.

thumb up

Tzeentch
'sup with DA: I?

I can understand Zack not liking it since it's lacking in 10-years old FPS mechanics, but not a fantasy-whore like you, Ares.

Bentley
Originally posted by ares834
Super Smash Bros 3DS.

Sounds legit, I'm glad I didn't buy that one.

Scythe
CoD Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2. They were enjoyable but the fact that every person playing was five killed it for me. I know that's the norm these days but for me, I game online once in a blue moon and when I do, they're all children. Gave those games away so fast.

Smasandian
I find Battlefield games on the PC much better in that regards.

But I did play Killzone Shadow Fall MP yesterday and enjoyed it but I had to mute everybody because these two Spanish guys were having a conversation.

That's something that would never happen on the PC. I guess it because you need to go out and buy a very good headset/microphone if you want to do that.

Jmanghan
Dragon ball Xenoverse beta test.

Jmanghan
Actually that was kinda fun, and being one out 20,000 others was pretty cool too.

dadudemon
There was a massive askreddit thread that asked what the most disappointing game of all time was. Destiny was not mentioned (until I or someone else posted it and got lots of upvotes). I could not believe it.

Perhaps we are just being whiny bitches and Destiny was not as bad as we thought?

TheHulk
Originally posted by dadudemon
There was a massive askreddit thread that asked what the most disappointing game of all time was. Destiny was not mentioned (until I or someone else posted it and got lots of upvotes). I could not believe it.

Perhaps we are just being whiny bitches and Destiny was not as bad as we thought? This...i'm surprised by how much hate Destiny is getting....even if i heard it is a shitty game...

dadudemon
Originally posted by TheHulk
This...

I don't know you but I'll take my medicine like a man. estahuh

KingD19
Rogue Warrior for X360.

Newjak

Perhaps we are just being whiny bitches and Destiny was not as bad as we thought? You are being whiny mad

stick out tongue

j/k I can see where people could find Destiny disappointing. I'm not one of them. I quite enjoy the game. I'm still playing it.

As to games I regret buying. I never buy too many games. I mostly borrow them. I did buy Dragon Age I and Destiny. And I've enjoyed both.

I think the last game I was disappointed playing after I bought it was a sonic game.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Newjak
You are being whiny mad

stick out tongue

Probably. I'll admit I am a b*tch about Destiny (how many people do you know created a list that is 30 points long, each point being at least 1 paragraph and some points being 5+ paragraphs) that outlined the shit they didn't like about the game? Not even writers at Kotaku had a list that in-depth.

Originally posted by Newjak
j/k I can see where people could find Destiny disappointing. I'm not one of them. I quite enjoy the game. I'm still playing it.

Honestly, if we played together, I'd probably enjoy the game much much more. We don't have the same consoles with the game and you probably play when I don't. Part of a game like Destiny is having friends on that you're used to, and playing when they do (this is true of many multiplayer FPS games).

Newjak
Probably. I'll admit I am a b*tch about Destiny (how many people do you know created a list that is 30 points long, each point being at least 1 paragraph and some points being 5+ paragraphs) that outlined the shit they didn't like about the game? Not even writers at Kotaku had a list that in-depth.

Honestly, if we played together, I'd probably enjoy the game much much more. We don't have the same consoles with the game and you probably play when I don't. Part of a game like Destiny is having friends on that you're used to, and playing when they do (this is true of many multiplayer FPS games). My roommate, who still plays, would constantly nag about all the same points as you did and more.

I agree it is a great game to play with friends. At least is for me.

Surtur
Oh man..this is a short list for me since I usually try to research a game before I buy it, but I have a few I regret, though none are new. First is WCW Mayhem for the N64. I was a huge wrestling fan at the time and bought it..it was terrible. Another game was Dragonball Z Sagas for Gamecube. Again, turned out to be terrible.

As I kid, I got the "Lemmings" game for SNES. Yeah, I regretted that too.

ares834

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Tzeentch
'sup with DA: I?

I can understand Zack not liking it since it's lacking in 10-years old FPS mechanics, but not a fantasy-whore like you, Ares. Shut up scrub.

Zack Fair

Honestly, if we played together, I'd probably enjoy the game much much more. We don't have the same consoles with the game and you probably play when I don't. Part of a game like Destiny is having friends on that you're used to, and playing when they do (this is true of many multiplayer FPS games). I have it on Xbone. Barely play it because everyone I play with is on PS though.

Star428
With me, it's more "which games I don't regret buying" because about 70-80% of the games I've bought for PS3 I've either become frustrated or bored with. I finally learned that if the game isn't turn-based then I probably won't like it and shouldn't waste my money. Too bad there's not a huge selection of turn-based games for PS3 but the few ones that I have are all quite addictive and I don't see myself getting tired of them for a very long time. I've been playing XCOM since Oct of 2012 and still haven't gotten bored with it.

juggerman
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Felt it was solid for an online co-op and multiplayer experience (mostly the former), but with playing offline one would be disappointed (unless they like the AI teammates).

Most DBZ games are just rehashes without that much change, but Battle of Z felt kinda fresh for me (in a good way, and the gameplay seemed easier to catch onto handling, even if it didn't have that much depth), and I liked how it made every fighter their own type (support/assist, interfere, ki blast, melee), making even some of the weakest characters more viable, in addition to them having more retry amounts than the stronger characters.

That was nice team balancing, but for multiplayer, they should've limited how many players can use someone like Broly, SSJ3 Goku, etc. on a team, as having teams of them in certain multiplayer modes is the most unbalanced thing ever, though I guess to be fair, when were DBZ games (at least by Namco) ever balanced? If someone uses like Yamcha against an equally skilled player whose using Kid Buu or something, you know what the result's gonna be.

I hoped it would be an updated Raging Blast/Budokai Tenkaichi. Played it for like 15 mins and just wasn't feeling the new style. Idk, maybe I should give it a chance

Bentley
Originally posted by Star428
With me, it's more "which games I don't regret buying" because about 70-80% of the games I've bought for PS3 I've either become frustrated or bored with. I finally learned that if the game isn't turn-based then I probably won't like it and shouldn't waste my money. Too bad there's not a huge selection of turn-based games for PS3 but the few ones that I have are all quite addictive and I don't see myself getting tired of them for a very long time. I've been playing XCOM since Oct of 2012 and still haven't gotten bored with it.

I love turn-based games myself so I get what you are saying.

dadudemon
I have it on Xbone. Barely play it because everyone I play with is on PS though.

Yes, I know. sad

How dare you. weep

Originally posted by Bentley

Me too. Final Fantasy Tactics on Gameboy Advance...

Super Mario RPG...

So many hours sunk into those games.

Star428

In that case, I highly recommend you pick up XCOM: EU or XCOM: EW (latter is better, imo). It's the most fun I've ever had with any videogame in my entire life. Music, graphics, turn-based combat, etc... is all superb. It's looks and sounds so friggin' awesome on my big plasma HDTV and 5.1 surround speaker system.... Just make sure if u decide to get it that u get the disc version and not downloadable one as the latter one has serious issues with base defense mission. The multiplayer is lots of fun too.

NemeBro

Zack Fair
The Raids are a lot of fun, and are quite challenging though.

Destiny gets a lot of hate, but it is not as bad as people will make you believe. It is also not as good as fanboys will say.

All in all it is a good game that could have been better and failed to meet people's expectations because of Bungie's lousy, and often shady, communication/marketing skills.

Execution and bad decisions were/are the game's biggest problem.

ares834
Originally posted by NemeBro
How does it try to be a turn-based RPG?

Don't know the name of the combat system which is why I put it in quotes. But the Neverwinter/DA:O-esque combat system was what I was reffering to.

BloodRawEngine
Might be going pretty far back, but Tales of Symphonia's sequel on the Wii, Dawn of the New World is among my most hated games of all time. The thing is, I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the first one with all that I had read on it and its details, but nothing could prepare me for the horribly irritating, unlikable, and pretty poorly-playing lead characters, the asinine menu-based overworld, the cheap knock-off excuse for the series' combat system (nothing flows, there's no technical application to artes, and returning characters have that ridiculous level 50 limit), and any aspect of the game that could even remotely be considered a step forward (like full movement across the battlefield) was completely outweighed by the aforementioned problems and thensome, and that's not even getting into how shallow the gameplay was made in order to push its awful monster mechanic. I honestly pity anyone who had started the Tales series with this game and is cursed with lenience towards it. It doesn't deserve anything but the dust its collected.

Another would be The Last Story. In my opinion, definitely the weakest game of Operation Rainfall. I found its linearity to be mind-numbing for an RPG, the gameplay seemed unique on paper, but in execution things eventually just become a matter of the player sitting back while the AI's do all the work, and all the extra touches to the combat to help liven it up really just feel clunky. The theme was one of the most grating cliche's around, most characters I found annoying, and the game's length is lacking. Where this game was pretentious with its attempts at supposedly "reviving old tropes" considering it really just accentuated what people hate about the modern JRPG. It's basically the fisrt half of FFXIII.

Zack Fair
I found Dragon's Age combat to be lame. Really really lame. Then again I find the combat of most of these games dull and robotic/unintituitive.

Tzeentch
Then again I find the combat of most of these games dull and robotic/unintituitive. super13

Zack Fair
Dem pixels awesome

NemeBro
Then again I find the combat of most of these games dull and robotic/unintituitive. Then why do you like Destiny?

Jmanghan
I hoped it would be an updated Raging Blast/Budokai Tenkaichi. Played it for like 15 mins and just wasn't feeling the new style. Idk, maybe I should give it a chance The best version is the PS3 version cause Sage Goku. Oh, and SSJ Bardock was just a cash cow. But the game gets boring too fast. I mean, I guess adding custom soundtracks was something to spice it up a bit on PS3/PS Vita, but it just gets boring far too fast v.v

Zack Fair
Then why do you like Destiny? Because Destiny's gunplay/gameplay/battle mechanics are second to none and are actually a lot of fun and highly polished.

It's cool to hate everything Destiny, but the actual combat is damn near perfect and controls like a dream.

NemeBro
Because Destiny's gunplay/gameplay/battle mechanics are second to none and are actually a lot of fun and highly polished.

It's cool to hate everything Destiny, but the actual combat is damn near perfect and controls like a dream. There is no reason to assume that.

They are amazingly adequate.

Zack Fair
Assume what? Why I played Destiny? Well I was talking about combat lol. But yah.

I really need to get into Dragon's Age =\.

BackFire
Have you played the other Dragon Age games? If not, you should. Playing them before Inquisition makes Inq better.

I'm kinda surprised you aren't liking Inq more than you do, since you like the ME games and there's a lot of similarities, particularly in character quality.

Maybe you should try playing another class or something.

Ridley_Prime
I hoped it would be an updated Raging Blast/Budokai Tenkaichi. Played it for like 15 mins and just wasn't feeling the new style. Idk, maybe I should give it a chance
Maybe... What system do you have it for?

Did you try the demo out before you got the game? Should've done that to see whether or not it was the thing for you.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
The best version is the PS3 version cause Sage Goku. Oh, and SSJ Bardock was just a cash cow. But the game gets boring too fast. I mean, I guess adding custom soundtracks was something to spice it up a bit on PS3/PS Vita, but it just gets boring far too fast v.v
Only if you have no friends to play it with. It was built as a co-op game. And I got a Naruto related costume for Goku on the 360 version when I pre-ordered it.. You sure that's PS3 exclusive?

I loved SSJ Bardock. Super Vegito should've been a regular unlockable though like the rest.

Also, thumb up @ the mention of the Tales of Symphonia sequel on the Wii. **** that game.

Zack Fair
Have you played the other Dragon Age games? If not, you should. Playing them before Inquisition makes Inq better.

I'm kinda surprised you aren't liking Inq more than you do, since you like the ME games and there's a lot of similarities, particularly in character quality.

Maybe you should try playing another class or something. I'm surprised too. On paper it has lots of stuff I like in games. But I don't know why I can't get into it.

I'll have to try another class. This whole sneaking around and crap is not working for me.

One_Angry_Scot
I could also choose Gothic 3 as a game that I regret buying.

BackFire
I'm surprised too. On paper it has lots of stuff I like in games. But I don't know why I can't get into it.

I'll have to try another class. This whole sneaking around and crap is not working for me.

I've played it twice, once as a warrior and once as a mage. Both were fun. Haven't tried rogue.

Like I said, definitely helps if you've played the other DA games. Makes the whole thing richer.

Smasandian
I played Rogue as an archer. Never touched daggers at all....it's a good think you can restart your skill points throughout the game.

I played it on easy, which turned it into an action RPG almost but it's a pretty tactical game on higher levels.

BackFire
I played on normal on my first playthrough and then easy on my second. Both times I played it as an ARPG, almost never used the tactical camera. Just not really for me.

Bentley
Originally posted by BloodRawEngine
Might be going pretty far back, but Tales of Symphonia's sequel on the Wii, Dawn of the New World is among my most hated games of all time. The thing is, I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy it as much as the first one with all that I had read on it and its details, but nothing could prepare me for the horribly irritating, unlikable, and pretty poorly-playing lead characters, the asinine menu-based overworld, the cheap knock-off excuse for the series' combat system (nothing flows, there's no technical application to artes, and returning characters have that ridiculous level 50 limit), and any aspect of the game that could even remotely be considered a step forward (like full movement across the battlefield) was completely outweighed by the aforementioned problems and thensome, and that's not even getting into how shallow the gameplay was made in order to push its awful monster mechanic. I honestly pity anyone who had started the Tales series with this game and is cursed with lenience towards it. It doesn't deserve anything but the dust its collected.

Another would be The Last Story. In my opinion, definitely the weakest game of Operation Rainfall. I found its linearity to be mind-numbing for an RPG, the gameplay seemed unique on paper, but in execution things eventually just become a matter of the player sitting back while the AI's do all the work, and all the extra touches to the combat to help liven it up really just feel clunky. The theme was one of the most grating cliche's around, most characters I found annoying, and the game's length is lacking. Where this game was pretentious with its attempts at supposedly "reviving old tropes" considering it really just accentuated what people hate about the modern JRPG. It's basically the fisrt half of FFXIII.

I didn't know Last Story was lame, certainly Tales of Symphonia 2 was a disappointment.

Kazenji
The second Tales of Symphonia's is that bad...i haven't touched it, I have that Chronicles collection for the PS3.

NemeBro
I once told a buddy of mine that a friend loaned me Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

He responded with,"Then he's not your friend, is he?"

It's sort of a bad game.

Surtur

The Avatar Korra game for the PS3 is actually pretty awesome, it's not turn based though.

Smasandian
I played on normal on my first playthrough and then easy on my second. Both times I played it as an ARPG, almost never used the tactical camera. Just not really for me.

Yeah. If it was turn based, I would be all over that but in real time, not my thing.

juggerman
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Maybe... What system do you have it for?

Did you try the demo out before you got the game? Should've done that to see whether or not it was the thing for you.

Yeah I know sad

Henry_Pym
The First Skylanders game; it's a series that's bleeding me dry.

BloodRawEngine
I didn't know Last Story was lame, certainly Tales of Symphonia 2 was a disappointment.

The Last Story at least is a game I'd still say to try for yourself if it piques your curiosity--I can admit to my distaste for that game being based on practices I've never been very fond of in certain RPG's.

Dawn of the New World still needs to rot though.

I once told a buddy of mine that a friend loaned me Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

He responded with,"Then he's not your friend, is he?"

It's sort of a bad game.

I'm saving that.

BloodRawEngine
On the subject of turn-based, I realized that I never really liked turn-based combat in games at all, but merely tolerated it. To this day, I tihnk it's just really outdated. I don't think it adds any sense of strategy that real-time fighting in RPG's could have, it just reduces it to glorified menu swapping and cinematics more than add any strategic edge. Real time has a technical edge and a more pressing sense of dynamicism that I much prefer.

Dramatic Gecko

Bentley
On the subject of turn-based, I realized that I never really liked turn-based combat in games at all, but merely tolerated it. To this day, I tihnk it's just really outdated. I don't think it adds any sense of strategy that real-time fighting in RPG's could have, it just reduces it to glorified menu swapping and cinematics more than add any strategic edge. Real time has a technical edge and a more pressing sense of dynamicism that I much prefer.

This probably deserves is own thread.

If I want Real Time Strategy then I play, well, RTS games. For design reasons and balance, AI will always be lacking and a pushover in RPGs, the combination of grinding and actions depending on your reflexes will also be often redundant. I'm yet to meet a Real Time RPG battle system that isn't a disappoint at some level thumb up

Star428

Disagree. TBS allows you more time to think thereby greatly improving how much of a role strategy plays in the game. Chess is the greatest strategy game of all-time and it's turn-based. I've tried several games of both genres and I'll take tbs any day of the week over rts. But, whatever floats your boat and makes you happy is all that matters. TBS games are the only games I really enjoy at all.

SpadeKing
Defiance... Back when it was actually $60

BloodRawEngine
If I want Real Time Strategy then I play, well, RTS games. For design reasons and balance, AI will always be lacking and a pushover in RPGs, the combination of grinding and actions depending on your reflexes will also be often redundant. I'm yet to meet a Real Time RPG battle system that isn't a disappoint at some level thumb up

Lacking AI is something that Turn-based combat only ACCENTUATES by bogging it down for the sake of what you're ccalling "balance". With real-time there's a helluva lot more in terms of sliding scale of diffuculty than just higher stats or larger repertoire of attacks. It's those things IN ADDITION to a more direct and more rewarding sense of progress. I've yet to meet a Turn-based systm that doesn't feel exactly the same as they did back in the 90's.

It really doesn't. As far as I care, it gives you more time to think at the expense of giving you any variety in HOW to act and HOW to perform your roles. Instead of a party handling like a well-oiled machine it's reduced to a point and click. Turn-based combat in RPG's and chess are two completely different things, and if I wanted to play chess, I'D PLAY CHESS. In my experience, TBS games do a better job of capturing only tedim by taking away the sense of competition you can actually get when playing chess, considering that's a two-person game.

Nemesis X
One game that I REALLY regret buying is Marvel vs. Capcom 3 before the Ultimate version was announced.

Kazenji
Should'eve known that was going happen if Capcom's Street fighter series is any indication.

Bentley
Lacking AI is something that Turn-based combat only ACCENTUATES by bogging it down for the sake of what you're ccalling "balance". With real-time there's a helluva lot more in terms of sliding scale of diffuculty than just higher stats or larger repertoire of attacks. It's those things IN ADDITION to a more direct and more rewarding sense of progress. I've yet to meet a Turn-based systm that doesn't feel exactly the same as they did back in the 90's.

Again, you seem to say "turn based games (chess being an example) make for poor AI", except that historically they are more involved with good AI. You see, in real time, resource management will always be more efficient if you're a machine, you have to give up that advantage to even give the player a chance. Balance is only achieved with a decent AI and fine tuned mechanics. This has been proved time and time again. Which doesn't mean that every game gets it right.

There are several turnbased systems, from jrpgs to strategy games with resource management, there is not one and only system of turn based games (there are also grid based and unit based ones that allow for many combinations). In any case, the fact the gameplay hasn't changed also vouches for it's staying power and reliability.

It really doesn't. As far as I care, it gives you more time to think at the expense of giving you any variety in HOW to act and HOW to perform your roles.

Again, it's impossible for a human being to manage resources like a computer in real time. Even the "how" of your choices is more flexible in a turnbased game. It just "feels" less interactive.

Instead of a party handling like a well-oiled machine it's reduced to a point and click. Turn-based combat in RPG's and chess are two completely different things, and if I wanted to play chess, I'D PLAY CHESS.

Depends on the game, I agree that your average RPG skims on strategic values, but that doesn't mean action RPGs are inherently more strategic, they might just be more strategic in average.

In my experience, TBS games do a better job of capturing only tedim by taking away the sense of competition you can actually get when playing chess, considering that's a two-person game.

But an actual RTS game is much more competitive than mediocre RPGs with combat. Keep in mind chess is also made more competitive by adding a time constraint. My point is that by adding not only levels but also allowance for movements and different actions you have to widen the amount of viable strategies to win each combat, which diminishes the need to look for an optimal one.

BloodRawEngine
Originally posted by Bentley Again, you seem to say "turn based games (chess being an example) make for poor AI", except that historically they are more involved with good AI. You see, in real time, resource management will always be more efficient if you're a machine, you have to give up that advantage to even give the player a chance. Balance is only achieved with a decent AI and fine tuned mechanics. This has been proved time and time again. Which doesn't mean that every game gets it right.

There are several turnbased systems, from jrpgs to strategy games with resource management, there is not one and only system of turn based games (there are also grid based and unit based ones that allow for many combinations). In any case, the fact the gameplay hasn't changed also vouches for it's staying power and reliability.

How is that more involved with good AI? That's more involved with redundant AI. What you're trying to exemplify is irrelevent to my point when the sense of resource management still exists in plenty of examples real time battle, merely on another course. That's not a matter of giving up resource management for the sake of giving a player a cahnce in real-time combat, it's a matter of giving up EVERYTHING ELSE for it in Turn-based. That's my experience with the two extremes, and I've never preferred the latter.

And no, speaking for its "staying power" might be a more gorunded claim if it weren't for the battle system itself being either discarded with franchise's future installments or relegated to so few, often niche titles.

REad above. There are several real-time titles with just as much if not more felixbility in your choices on battle. However, instead of making that the only and primary sense of interaction IN THE ACTUAL BATTLE of an RPG, which is my problem with too many Turn-based titles, it's allowing a sense of adaptability outside of it in what I consider a more realistic (for lack of a better term) application that I believe adds a sense of challenge and to that end satisfaction that I just can't get in turn-based titles.

Yeah, and those aspects that turn-based combat takes away in my experience by reducing it to a single often repetitive route is not sometihng I've ever found to my tastes. In their efforts at accentuating any one route, you lose everything else, and in my opinion, that's simply tedious, and that's my main problem with TBS as a whole.

Star428

It really doesn't. As far as I care, it gives you more time to think at the expense of giving you any variety in HOW to act and HOW to perform your roles. Instead of a party handling like a well-oiled machine it's reduced to a point and click. Turn-based combat in RPG's and chess are two completely different things, and if I wanted to play chess, I'D PLAY CHESS. In my experience, TBS games do a better job of capturing only tedim by taking away the sense of competition you can actually get when playing chess, considering that's a two-person game.

Well, I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree then. As I said, Turn-based strategy or tactics games are all that I really enjoy playing. Oh, and I'm not just referring to TBS role-playing games. I'm talking about war games live Civilization Revolution and XCOM (turn-based squad tactics). Both of those games are extremely addictive and competitive. They both require great skill and knowledge and they're both turn-based. smile The best video games I've played in my entire life, tbh.

I've tried RTS games and liked none of them. Usually, I'm constantly pausing the game to think. Not my idea of a good time. It's clear to me that strategy plays a much greater role in TBS games than it does RTS games.

Reflassshh
I regret trading my Devil may cry 4 for a Red faction: guerilla. What a disappointment.

BloodRawEngine
Oh, and I'm not just referring to TBS role-playing games. I'm talking about war games live Civilization Revolution and XCOM (turn-based squad tactics). Both of those games are extremely addictive and competitive. They both require great skill and knowledge and they're both turn-based. smile The best video games I've played in my entire life, tbh.

And any decent MOBA title subverts the notion that any game with a sense of competitiveness or strategic knowledge aren't exclusively turn-based. My only incentive on having to end my time with League was the toxic community, not the gameplay at hand.

That's your problem if you're at a loss for things. Me, I prefer the sense of challenge that can come from adapting to the more constant change in something real-time that translates more directly to the fighting at hand.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.