The Rataka, good as they are said?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
So here I'm trying to figure out something, I'm trying to figure as to why the Rakata are somehow better than the later eras of government/organization in regarding technology and the like.

From what I gathered, it's because of 2 things..

1. The Starforge

2. Terraforming planets

Now the 2nd point, ok I get that because as far as I know, no other era has done so because well there really isn't a need.

But this thread is more to the military part of the Rakata. I'm recalling a few old posts on the net regarding whenever they are in a battle that they would just stomp any other era, because their tech was so vast and great, etc and so on.

But the thing is....I'm not seeing any tech that is greater than anything the later eras show.

I mean the only thing the Rakata have...is the Starforge to build stuff...which is great but their ships weren't entirely impressive. Unless I've missed something.

It seems to me, that they only seemed impressive because during their time...they were the big fish in the small pond so to speak as none could really directly challenge them.

I mean hyperdrives, shielding, droids, etc....it's not impressive for them when looking at later eras who have it and also having a more refined and better utilization of technology.

So I have missed something?

Nephthys
A lot of their tech used the Force or was powered by Force users. That's why it was so l33t.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Nephthys
A lot of their tech used the Force or was powered by Force users. That's why it was so l33t.

Ok...so? How would that make it any better than later tech?

Also wouldn't that kind of be a glaring flaw?

Revanchiste
Originally posted by Zenwolf
So here I'm trying to figure out something, I'm trying to figure as to why the Rakata are somehow better than the later eras of government/organization in regarding technology and the like.

From what I gathered, it's because of 2 things..

1. The Starforge

2. Terraforming planets

Now the 2nd point, ok I get that because as far as I know, no other era has done so because well there really isn't a need.

But this thread is more to the military part of the Rakata. I'm recalling a few old posts on the net regarding whenever they are in a battle that they would just stomp any other era, because their tech was so vast and great, etc and so on.

But the thing is....I'm not seeing any tech that is greater than anything the later eras show.

I mean the only thing the Rakata have...is the Starforge to build stuff...which is great but their ships weren't entirely impressive. Unless I've missed something.

It seems to me, that they only seemed impressive because during their time...they were the big fish in the small pond so to speak as none could really directly challenge them.

I mean hyperdrives, shielding, droids, etc....it's not impressive for them when looking at later eras who have it and also having a more refined and better utilization of technology.

So I have missed something?

There technology is based on the force everything even their hyperdrive.... They massivly use slave like America ! Yhea and America is doing pretty good on an economic level.

They are all force sensitives (before than a virus show up create by human sientist to especialy exterminate them...)

They ****ing use force knowledge..

They begin to use machine toreplace their slave.. There a Rakattas philosophe who make many tome on how bad it is to try to replace organic by machine....

They rule the galaxy longer than the republic exist !!!! It take time for them to build their own empire !

Nephthys

The Force is more powerful than that pedestrian shit, bro. It can do all kinds of crazy crap.

Well yeah, its a big part of why their civilisation collapsed iirc. Doesn't make their tech any less sweet though.

Revanchiste

Rakattas are force sensitiv it allow them to prohibite access to their slave......
Vader said than the death star was a toy in comparason of the force...

You forget than they have also the time...
On there side.... They old the galaxy for 20 000 years !!!!

The republic hold the eastern part for 4 000 years....

Zenwolf
The Force is more powerful than that pedestrian shit, bro. It can do all kinds of crazy crap.

Well yeah, its a big part of why their civilisation collapsed iirc. Doesn't make their tech any less sweet though.

Ok but it's still not answered....how is their tech better than later era tech?....Just being powered by the Force...doesn't cut it, that just means they didn't have another way to power their tech, which is fine.

But I don't see how it makes any of their tech greater than what other era tech has shown.

Unless their is a showing of their tech, that hasn't been already shown by later tech. The whole Force powered tech, doesn't really mean anything other than that it's just a way to power said technology.

Nephthys
Are you asking for why their tech is better or why we should consider their tech better? Because the answer to the first one is "it's just better", theres no revelation there. It's like asking why our tech is better than the Romans, we're just more advanced. The second one is that the Rakata has the tech to influence whole systems, create infinite armies and fleets, engineer half the prominent species in SW, defeat and contain the World Razer etc etc.

Zenwolf
Are you asking for why their tech is better or why we should consider their tech better? Because the answer to the first one is "it's just better", theres no revelation there. It's like asking why our tech is better than the Romans, we're just more advanced. The second one is that the Rakata has the tech to influence whole systems, create infinite armies and fleets, engineer half the prominent species in SW, defeat and contain the World Razer etc etc.

I'm asking why is their tech military wise is considered better than the later eras.

IE: Shielding, Droids, Ships, etc etc

Because I'm not really seeing why. Sure they can create infinite things...but the quality of it, is what I'm trying to figure out.

Revanchiste
Hum isn't that obvious than Dark side is realy agressive and then most of the benefit are military oriented?
Look at sith technology based on the Dark side and remanant of Rakattan technology as an holonet member... I know than sith tech = quality.

Mandalorian Sith Zabrak Chiss and all those Dark oriented species or factions devlopped powerfull weapons... I've seen 379 guns... And I know each faction that produce the best guns.

Trust me I'm an holonet elite memeber and star wars tech is my domain...

Or you can see this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQhYXhRKl0

P.S : at the end of there empire they begin to devloppe new weapon that needn't the use of the force.... They devlopped the first blaster rifles wich are really powerfull...

The Merchant
They're not lol. They're incredibly over-rated. Star Forge is good and all but really the Galactic Empire should be able to create something similar WITHOUT the need of an outside power-source to feed the machine. The Death Star's power generation is stated to be equal to hundreds of Super-Giant stars. The OT era is way more advanced than the Rakata's era. The only thing they could be superior to is the OR era's Sith Empire and the Republic. They also have teleportation but I recall reading somewhere that the only reason why teleportation doesn't exist in SW has to do with morality rather than them not being able to.

The Merchant
Oh as for the "quality" of things well originally Leviathan-class ships were supposed to be Rakatan ships and they apparently were equal to a Victory-class Star Destroyer. That was retconn'd however. We see their ships during Dawn of the Jedi and all their orbital bombardments did was cause some forest fires.

Revanchiste
It is staten than rakatta technology still in competition with new republic era.....

Leviathan or better I say interceptor ARE OLD REPUBLIC DESIGN SHIP !!!!!!!!

Saul Karath brought one to Revan who sacrified the ship to mass produce it.. The star forge eat the ship to obtain the plan and it mass produce it...

You are wrong so wrong !!!
May dueling is your domain technology is my main domain !!!

The Merchant
New republic era? I'm pretty sure that the only comparison that the Rakata ever had with any other faction was when Malgus said that their tech was better than theirs. And he was amazed cause of some power generator that the Rakata built that was just Hypermatter technology essentially, which the OT era pretty much refined way better than any other era.

Also yeah I know the SF if it gets any plans for a ship it can built and mass-produce it. I know the SF in general is really powerful, but that's the Rakata's crowning jewel. The GE created artificial Planets to give away to their best men, so why is that so impressive? The only reason why the GE never invested in something like that is seriously just cause no one ever took the time to realize that the Empire's industrial capacities is freaking huge.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The Merchant
Oh as for the "quality" of things well originally Leviathan-class ships were supposed to be Rakatan ships and they apparently were equal to a Victory-class Star Destroyer. That was retconn'd however. We see their ships during Dawn of the Jedi and all their orbital bombardments did was cause some forest fires.

Q, was that ever sourced? I don't recall any source noting about the Leviathan being = to a Victory destroyer and even then, that equality is kinda vague...equal in what exactly?

The Merchant
IIRC it was in the New Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology. Also I shouldn't have said equal, but it was said to be comparable to a Victory-II class Star Destroyer in terms of power.

ChaosTheory123

Only forest fires?

Are you sure you're not just citing a low end?

Because this is considerable above "forest fire"

KOTOR1 also shows gigaton level explosions on Taris during your first space battle on the Ebon Hawk

Pay attention to the background event, its easy to miss them

Zenwolf
@ Merchant, I'm not seeing anywhere in the Guide about it.

@ Chaos, ok see NOW we are getting somewhere. Anything else you have? Also I'm speaking of strict Rakata tech, not tech infused with rakata stuff. Just the Rakata tech itself.

The Merchant
Pretty sure right after that page of that bombing we see the turbolaser blasts hitting the ground and just causing forest-fires.

I already know about the 2nd one, which I see no problem with them. However Leviathans aren't Rakatan ships.

ChaosTheory123
Only other thing I can offer you is they were technically able to defeat the World Razer

Hearsay for me, but from what I understand?

Historical records in TOR mention that it was something that was able to wreck planets and stars alike?

I can't really confirm that though, I haven't touched TOR.

They're not just big fish in a small pond, most of Star Wars suffers from technological stasis IIRC. Some advances are made in the EU, but little differentiates the powers of capital ships and super weapons from era to era :hmm

Granted, I imagine the GE would probably do just fine and defeat the Rakata, but they're far from weak.

ChaosTheory123
Pretty sure right after that page of that bombing we see the turbolaser blasts hitting the ground and just causing forest-fires.

Don't remember honestly

Doesn't look like a forest fire to me, too violent a detonation

Depending on how the scan looked too?

You could have just been seeing the edge of the AOE anyway.

Inverse Square Law, energy decreases in potency the larger the surface area gets.

Wouldn't know :hmm

I thought they were, but maybe they were KOTOR era ships the Forge produced?

The Merchant
They defeated Soa, a guy who claims he could destroy stars with a mere thought. Problem is that I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating about his power considering that he was defeated by the Republic/Sith Strike team. There's also how we know in SW Force Users don't destroy stars usually with just brute power. Some Inquisitor kid was able to manipulate Solar Flares and even claimed he could cause a Star to go Supernova if he intended it.

The Merchant
We literally see the turbolaser bolt come down from orbit and hit nearby the main protagonists. Wish I had the scan on me since I've seen it before.

Leviathan classes are also known as the Interdictor classes and were originally created by the Old Republic and later adopted by Revan's Sith Empire.

ChaosTheory123
They defeated Soa, a guy who claims he could destroy stars with a mere thought. Problem is that I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating about his power considering that he was defeated by the Republic/Sith Strike team. There's also how we know in SW Force Users don't destroy stars usually with just brute power. Some Inquisitor kid was able to manipulate Solar Flares and even claimed he could cause a Star to go Supernova if he intended it.

Not Soa

The World Razer

this thing

Hearsay, but something about historical records espousing its power to destroy stars and planets

**** if I know for sure though

ChaosTheory123
We literally see the turbolaser bolt come down from orbit and hit nearby the main protagonists. Wish I had the scan on me since I've seen it before.

That'd be a low end

This showing and the showing you're mentioning are different events dude (the one I posted was done in the past IIRC, this was told via flashback)

These have an AOE of hundreds of kilometers

what you mentioned probably didn't encompass a kilometer

Gotcha :hmm

ChaosTheory123
Also, you have a bad habit of selectively appealing to conservation of energy dude :hmm

Zenwolf
Not saying they are weak Chaos, I'm just trying to figure where they stand is all.

ChaosTheory123
That I can't help you with

I'm more interested in characters than the tech

I just know about some feats they have

Interesting fact about the Rakata ships by the way?

They're entirely powered by nameless force sensitive slaves as told in the scan I posted earlier :maybe

Nephthys
I wouldn't exactly call it hearsay that it can destroy planets when it's freaking name is literally the World Razer.

Revanchiste
Turbolaser bolt working with classic energy they are not sourced by the force !
If they were sourced by the force it will requiere a force sensistiv sourcing each turbolaser !!!!!
Interdictor are Republican their design is republican...

This is not about rakatta technology ! SHut up please !

Leviathan classes are also known as the Interdictor classes and were originally created by the Old Republic and later adopted by Revan's Sith Empire.

Well fine.. Good to read... This is Saul karah the friend of Carth Onasi who stole the first model of interdictor before deserting the republican ranks to Join Revan...

Imagine a turbo laser.. It need a lot of energy.. For those who have played X-Wing alliance most of the ship cannot run at 100% with their shield engine and weapon system at the same time....
The same for the capital ship.

For a Rakatta ship.. It is sourced by the force, the darkside of the force. The power of the ship is boosted by the rage the pain and the fury of the battle.
The ship can rune at 300% !!!!

Their ship are like superman no theorical limit... In pure theory one of their turbolaser can reach the power of an axial superlaser...

Q99

It gave capabilities that normal tech doesn't. A different power source.

Btw, their ships and such still got surpassed by conventional tech eventually, and way down the road Krayt's force tech is IMO quite superior.

It's an edge, not an insurmountable one.

It was. That's why they fell, and why they were limited to just a few hundred worlds (force based hyperdrive is not nearly as flexible).

Originally posted by Revanchiste

They rule the galaxy longer than the republic exist !!!! It take time for them to build their own empire !

Nah, we don't know precisely when it started, but we only have 11k+ years confirmed, and the Republic lasted 25k.

Theory vs practical and all that. In practice, there'd only be so much dark side energy around. Oh, and at some point you'd burn out your emitters, I'd think.

No Rakatan ship would be remotely near a match for a Super Star Destroyer in practice, or many of the later era ships.

Revanchiste
"Theory vs practical and all that. In practice, there'd only be so much dark side energy around. Oh, and at some point you'd burn out your emitters, I'd think."

It's like superman can accumulate infinite quantities of energy in theory but in pratice this is totaly different...

You explain everuthing for me....

But in pratice their ship can really run at 300%.

They don't fire super laser but they match a star destroyeur in my opinion.. Because we never seen a single Rkattas ship ! We do not know their performance however we know the performance of their opponents.. Onfaction that resist the Rakattas where the celestians....

Revanchiste
P.S I have only found some transports slave transports....
No tru combat ship except a supper weapon.... Some kind of Giga Holocron with some mass power of destruction...

We know than there blaster are more advanced than imperial ones....

Sith were using the same kind of device...

ChaosTheory123
Originally posted by Q99

Btw, their ships and such still got surpassed by conventional tech eventually, and way down the road Krayt's force tech is IMO quite superior.

It's an edge, not an insurmountable one.

I'm not doubting they were surpassed, but its hard to determine how significant the advancement of tech in Star Wars is from era to era

The better feats of a given eras capital ships generally appear to land around the same ball park as far as I've seen and all :hmm

Barring, perhaps, considering the Half the GE fleet = Deathstar shit and that one trading card feat IIRC anyway :hmm

Q99
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123
I'm not doubting they were surpassed, but its hard to determine how significant the advancement of tech in Star Wars is from era to era

The better feats of a given eras capital ships generally appear to land around the same ball park as far as I've seen and all :hmm

It should be noted that the size of ships do steadily increase.

The Hammerhead class cruiser was a mainstay and perfectly normal in size for a ship of the line when it was introduced in the Old Sith Wars at 315, and bigger than the Old Sith Empire's 215 meter Derriphan-class vessels that stayed around til Revan's time, getting some print runs on the Star Forge (and the Derriphan lacked shields, even! At least at first).

Leviathan/Interdictor-class ships came out a bit later during the Mandalorian wars and at 600 meters served as flagships but did become ships of the line, and the 1,200 Centurion class was the rare-and-powerful large command ship.

In the TOR era, the Harrower class was introduced and noted as being a big step forward in Warship design. It was 800 meters long and the biggest mass produced ship out there, requiring groups of Hammerheads to take on, and now we have a ship of the line bigger than the prior big flagship.

By the Clone Wars, the Venator was a solid new ship at 1,137 meters long, notably bigger and tougher than a Harrower- as were it's foes. Notably, this is also around when giant super-flagships start cropping up, like the CIS's 4,845 meter Subjugator heavy cruiser.

The Venator was soon surpassed by Imperial Star Destroyers a few years later, at 1,600 meters long. Super flagships were often 8km, and sometimes as much as 19km. Ships the same size as, and even with some design influences from, the Hammerhead, are now in a mere 'frigate' role and only are used against the SDs in groups (Nebulon-B). Clearly, they had gotten better at building big, and ships were stronger.

And by Legacy, things started to progress a bit differently as there was an emphasis on more compact ships, especially by the Galactic Alliance. The Pellaeon class of the Fel Empire was a bit shorter than an ISD but bulkier, the Imperious class a bit bigger but still in that size range and considered the best ship around, the 2+km 'Dragon ships', and they often went against Scythe-class ships about 1/3rd the length of the Pellaeon (so, smaller than a Harrower!) who, due to a combination of advances in turbolaser technology (more rapid fire) and a designed based on focus fire, they were able to take on the larger ships.

Or to put it another way, late-era ships resemble giant flagships from earlier era, until you get to Grand Alliance Legacy ships, which merely pack the firepower of early-era flagships in tiny packages, said 'tiny' packages still being bigger than the early-era line ships.

SW doesn't really jump massively in firepower and toughness, but there's enough clear advances seen during eras (introduction of Harrower, Venator-to-ISD, introduction of the compact-powerful Scythes, etc.) that incremental increase is clearly there and later ships are definitely both bigger than their past counterparts on average and, eventually, pound for pound stronger than early ones. You can do most of the same things with the older ships, you just need more of them, they're less tough and have less gun.

And, looping all~l the way back to the Ratakans, I'm pretty sure their ships were smaller than the Hammerheads, though very likely stronger due to the pound-for-pound edge of the force tech (but still definitely fightable with Hammerheads)... and from the above progression, you should note that makes them smaller than, and likely very significantly outgunned by, the 'small and compact' Scythe class ships of Legacy.

Revanchiste
Originally posted by ChaosTheory123

Barring, perhaps, considering the Half the GE fleet = Deathstar shit and that one trading card feat IIRC anyway :hmm
But it is staten tha gathering all the fleet was a major issue for the security of the empire and it wasn't a tool of fear... In the intro of the latest version of ANH.

However when you see what a single interdictor can do to taris....

Centurin are slow so slow....

I'm sure than you forget the mandator I (appear at the end of the clone war) Mandator II and III.
The bellatorI and II which are the first model of super star destroyeur before the executor...

Quasi all the Rakattas ship have been destroyed in a civil war...

XD Rakattas like the vong were playing the kamikaze with ship full of slave has shield.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.