Mara Jade Skywalker vs Darth Malgus - Sabers Only

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ILS
Sabers only, who wins?

Trocity
Malgus.

carthage
MALGUS

Angelalex242
Mara requires the Force and a hell of a lot of Batmanning to win. Also, sabers only denies her her blaster and crush gauntlets and other tools.

...I have to give it to Malgus. Mara without tools is not a good Mara.

chilled monkey
Mara wins this. Even without other weapons she's a more versatile fighter than Malgus, probably more skilled overall, a lot smarter and a vastly better tactician.

carthage
More skilled how? Her best showings involve prep and an environmental advantage and nearly dying to Lumiya and knocking herself out?

Angelalex242
You don't understands. Sabers only puts Mara in the position of being Batman going up against Bane in a fistfight. That's not how Batman beat Bane. He uses his utility belt and his environment to win.

In this setup, however, Mara's denied all the things that make her a winner.

carthage
I didnt make this topic ILS is on a rampage defamig NJO characters because he is a meanie. Dont blame me for here lack of usual equipment

chilled monkey
Originally posted by carthage
More skilled how? Her best showings involve prep and an environmental advantage and nearly dying to Lumiya and knocking herself out?

I just get the feeling that Mara is more skilful. As I said she's smarter and more versatile. No doubt she has more finesse. It just seems right to me that she'd be more skilled.

Malgus never struck me as really skilled. He's like Bane, a brutish thug with a lightsabre that relies mainly on strength to get by.

Plus, New Jedi Order Jedi just seem better to me since they aren't close-minded like previous Eras.

Trocity
Malgus is an extremely skilled duelist, and can be acrobatic in his own right in conjunction with his strength. He also has experience dueling and beating skilled duelists who had finesse themselves. ( Satele, Zallow )

carthage
Bane is a brutish thug but overall he sucks and isnt as skilled as Malgus who has beaten individuals superior to a trainee. Apart from needing prep/selecting an area on Kavan that prevented Caedus from using his lightsaber, Mara utilizes blasters but Malgus has deflected blaster bolts/withstood a thermal detonator. Apart from nearly dying to Lumiya, Mara hasn't beaten anyone that superior to Zallow.

Please dont compare Bane to Malgus, Malgus has actually beaten people in fights by his own skill

ILS
Originally posted by carthage
I didnt make this topic ILS is on a rampage defamig NJO characters because he is a meanie. Dont blame me for here lack of usual equipment Someone on CV tried to argue that Mara even with her disease is still better than Malgus, lol. I like the contrast of opinions between there and here. And by contrast I mean I like escaping the immense NJO wankage.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by chilled monkey
Malgus never struck me as really skilled. He's like Bane, a brutish thug with a lightsabre that relies mainly on strength to get by.
Neither Bane or Malgus are lacking in skill or technical refinement.

carthage
Bane has nothing on either as a duelist, but that unskilled scrub has nothing to do with this topic. Chilled just made a bad comparison to a superior duelist i,e Malgus

carthage
Originally posted by Trocity
Malgus is an extremely skilled duelist, and can be acrobatic in his own right in conjunction with his strength. He also has experience dueling and beating skilled duelists who had finesse themselves. ( Satele, Zallow )

I can't really fathom how anyone can compare him to an unskilled and mediocre duelist like Bane thumb up

Originally posted by ILS
Someone on CV tried to argue that Mara even with her disease is still better than Malgus, lol. I like the contrast of opinions between there and here. And by contrast I mean I like escaping the immense NJO wankage.

I think they're in the same tier, personally. Without her tools though she'd just get overpowered by Malgus in a duel, and has no real way to take him down due to his durability.

Angelalex242
Indeed. Malgus is a freight train. You don't take down freight trains by standing on the tracks. And engaging him in a straight duel is standing on the tracks. A fool's errand, if ever there was one.

carthage
Coming back to this, its probably a lot closer than I recall.

After reading a least halfway through the Vong material/Dark nest trilogy the two are at least equals in skill at their absolute peaks (both just slightly beneath Maul/Kenobi). They have advantages that counter act each other in interesting ways, with Malgus really just differentiating himself through superior durability and being more physically imposing. Malgus is physically stronger and the strength of his offense has worn fighters down, but Mara is probably a little faster (maybe not..?), just as relentless, and can counteract Malgus's own endurance to a certain respect. In terms of a lightsaber skill they both have similar feats, with some controversy remaining in how to interpret Mara's showing against Caedus.

Even without that showing its probaby an even split, Mara's hand to hand showings won't mean much to Malgus whose physically superior to Lumiya. I also question how Mara would ward off Malgus's strength (which was wearing Aryn down physically). If she maintains her ferocity like she did against Caedus I doubt the edge would matter all that much.

It could go either way

Nephthys
Malgus

carthage
cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.