"Hello, police, there's a skinny black guy in my neighborhood!"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard
Short version: 57 year old East Indian man who recently migrated to the US to be with his kids was walking around, some neighbor called and said there was a "suspicious black man", police show up and end up slamming him so hard on the concrete they break vertebrate and now the man is partially paralyzed after surgery. Much to the officers' dismay, the man turned out to be a brown-skinned East Indian instead of a black guy.

Story: A Madison, Alabama police officer has been charged with the third-degree assault of Sureshbhai Patel, a 57-year-old Indian man who remains partially paralyzed after police slammed him to the ground last week, even though no crime had been committed at the time.

Police Chief Larry Muncey has said officer Eric Parker's actions were not in line with the Madison Police Department standards, and he will be recommending Parker's immediate termination.

"I sincerely apologize to Mr. Patel, Mr. Patel's family, and our community," Muncey said at a press conference Thursday. "In addition, the FBI is conducting a parallel inquiry to ascertain if there were any federal violations."

At the same press conference, police replayed a call made to a police non-emergency number on February 6 about a "suspicious" man walking along Hardiman Place Lane in Madison, as well as dashcam footage filmed from two different patrol cars.

One of the videos shows police approaching Patel and demanding to know where he lives and what he is doing in the area. In an earlier statement on Monday, the Madison police department said officers had responded to a report from a neighbor that a man was peering into garages of homes. The caller describes Patel as a "skinny black guy."

"The caller, who lives in the neighborhood, did not recognize the subject and thought him to be suspicious," police said in the statement. The Patel family's lawyer Hank Sherrod refuted claims that Sureshbhai was checking out people's garages or that he was on private property.

Sureshbhai had recently made his second trip ever to the US, traveling from India to visit his engineer son, Chirag Patel, and his daughter-in-law, to help the couple look after their 17-month-old baby. According to Chirag, his father was simply taking a morning walk in the neighborhood when the incident took place, AL.com reported.

A "communication barrier" is highlighted in the earlier police statement. Sureshbhai does not speak English, only Gujarati. Sherrod claims his client said "no English" when approached by the cops, and attempted to provide them with Chirag's phone number.

Police said in their earlier statement that when the officers on the scene tried to frisk Sureshbhai, he reportedly started placing his hands in his pockets. They said Sureshbhai also tried to pull away when the cops attempted to pat him down. Sherrod, however, said Sureshbhai did not attempt to pull away, and that one of the cops twisted his arm behind his back and threw him to the ground, planting him on his face.

In the dashcam videos, police can be heard and seen pulling Patel up from the ground and telling him to "stand up," but Sureshbhai's legs dangle lifelessly under him and the officers place him back on the sidewalk.

After being transported by ambulance to Madison Hospital later the same morning, Sureshbhai reportedly could not move, or had minimal movement in his limbs, his family said. He also sustained injuries to his spine and underwent a surgical procedure to fuse two vertebrae.

The family has since filed a federal lawsuit against the city of Madison, officer Parker, and his partner at the scene. The suit claims that Sureshbhai sustained a bloodied face and damaged spine. He has since regained partial movement in most limbs, but his right leg remains paralyzed, the suit claims.

Sureshbhai does not have health insurance, according to the Washington Post, but an online GoFundMe campaign that has been established to help pay for medical costs has already received more than $47,000 in donations at the time this article was published." Story Link

DhOFS6DWqvA#t=35

NUV6uaTvoA0#t=17

Actually spoken in the video: "I don't understand what his problem is, he won't listen to me." After it's been clarified that the man "doesn't speak a lick of English"

|King Joker|
Stories like these infuriate me. I hope that cop goes to prison for a long, long time.

Time Immemorial
Why read all that nonesense and watch a 10 min video with nothing going on when this gets right to the action

cb9LcRP4BSU

Now gimmie my Happy meal

Robtard
You missed a spot on those bootstraps, now get down lower and lick better

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Why read all that nonesense and watch a 10 min video with nothing going on when this gets right to the action

cb9LcRP4BSU

Now gimmie my Happy meal
mhmm Not sure if racist or just stupid AND racist.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
mhmm Not sure if racist or just stupid AND racist.

Its called the internet.. stupid.

Then against were you not the guy who said black people in you're hood made you more cautious laughing

Bardock42
If one is again and again accused of racism, perhaps at some point one has to accept that the fault lies with oneself.....

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
If one is again and again accused of racism, perhaps at some point one has to accept that the fault lies with oneself.....

Lol yea posting videos someone recorded is racism. Did I miss something or you saying the video Rob posted and OP was not racist, and a video of a McDonald's fight is racist?

We know you are short but don't be short on common sense.

ArtificialGlory
The black African male is the most dangerous and cunning of all animals. You can't blame the cops for being too careful.

NemeBro
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
The black African male is the most dangerous and cunning of all animals. You can't blame the cops for being too careful. Dangerous maybe. Cunning? Come on now.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NemeBro
Dangerous maybe. Cunning? Come on now.

I was thinking of the sort of primal, bestial cunning.

Bardock42
Lol yea posting videos someone recorded is racism. Did I miss something or you saying the video Rob posted and OP was not racist, and a video of a McDonald's fight is racist?

We know you are short but don't be short on common sense.

Oh, I guess you didn't get what I meant. I was saying you are a racist.

Mindship
Originally posted by Robtard
Short version: 57 year old East Indian man who recently migrated to the US to be with his kids was walking around, some neighbor called and said there was a "suspicious black man", police show up and end up slamming him so hard on the concrete they break vertebrate and now the man is partially paralyzed after surgery. Much to the officers' dismay, the man turned out to be a brown-skinned East Indian instead of a black guy.
http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/Elmer-Fudd_small.jpg

"Be vewy, vewy quiet. I'm hunting bwacks."

Dramatic Gecko
This is why I'm never going to America. I'm already the guy who always gets bomb tested in Australian Airports. You ****tards would probably shove a camera up my butt.

Bentley
If something remotely like this happened in France the Prime Minister would meet the victim and his family, apologize in public and clean up the whole police department where that happened. The guy who made the call would become a pariah and probably lose his job too.

But to be fair with the cops, there is next to no chance of finding a random guy holding a gun, so you don't get paranoiac at people touching their pockets.

Omega Vision
Its called the internet.. stupid.

Then against were you not the guy who said black people in you're hood made you more cautious laughing
that was me admitting subconscious racism, something I believe more people should do. Hint hint.

Bardock42
Or start with the conscious one..

Omega Vision
Seriously though, TI, if someone posts an example of serious racism and you then mock the example and post a ridiculous example of black people acting stupid, one can only take from that that you don't take racism seriously and perhaps even that you think black people are basically coons.

AsbestosFlaygon
I'm not surprised he got treated that way.

I've personally seen Indians who are as black as Africans.

Like these guys:

http://www.way4indians.com/uploaded_files/youthcareer/glry_109.jpg

Girl in blue and guy from the far right have noticeable black complexion.

http://www.thehindu.com/multimedia/dynamic/01628/TH-05_MIGRANT_WORK_1628384f.jpg

On the other hand, there are also fair-skinned blacks:

http://www.the4pointplay.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Klay-Thompson-1.jpg
http://knicksnow.com/uploads/players/jerseys/jersey_image/22/kidd.png

Time Immemorial

Your a stupid idiot.

Mindset
lol the ironing.

Robtard
goes all the way to eleven

dadudemon

Bardock42, I hate this kind of bullshit post. Don't be a coward and post shit like this. Actually say what you mean to say.

Like this:

thumb up thumb up thumb up

Originally posted by Mindset
lol the ironing.

lol, this made me chuckle.

As for the thread's point:

Cops are racist in America?

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/666/_57c8a1a431a592af806925e57258202f.png

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140611160252/videogames-fanon/images/6/6f/You_don't_say%3F.jpg

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/264/615/242.png

Robtard
Agreed, we should stop discussing racism and the police since it is known to exist thumb up

Bardock42
I feel like my initial post was plenty clear.

BackFire
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, Bardock.

dadudemon
Agreed, we should stop discussing racism and the police since it is known to exist thumb up

What do you want, a pity part of useless words?

"Oh man, those ****tards are racist."

"They should be fired."

"They belong in jail for assault and battery."

"The police should be held to a higher standard."

Bla bla bla.

You're implying that my point is to ignore racist police and that your point, discussing police racism, will do something about it. Neither of those implications are true. Discussing it does shit all. If you want something done, call the police chief, commissioner, mayor, write your congressmen, write the president, campaign for political office and make laws, become a lawyer, etc. You know, stuff that would require you to do more than whine about it on a dying forum. smile

BackFire
Maybe someone who otherwise wouldn't have done so will now contact one of those people in authority because of this discussion. Which would mean this discussion served a purpose.

dadudemon
Originally posted by BackFire
Maybe someone who otherwise wouldn't have done so will now contact one of those people in authority because of this discussion.

Well, if we are entertaining highly unlikely probabilities, maybe a meteor will break up in the atmosphere and the pieces will pierce the skulls of every racist cop in America with no other causalities.

I like my highly improbable supposition more than yours.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by dadudemon

"They should be fired."

Bla bla bla.

You're implying that my point is to ignore racist police and that your point, discussing police racism, will do something about it. Neither of those implications are true. Discussing it does shit all. If you want something done, call the police chief, commissioner, mayor, write your congressmen, write the president, campaign for political office and make laws, become a lawyer, etc. You know, stuff that would require you to do more than whine about it on a dying forum. smile

Lol true that, but wait, Bardock lived in Maine for 6 months so he knows all about racial problems in America.

BackFire
Well, if we are entertaining highly unlikely probabilities, maybe a meteor will break up in the atmosphere and the pieces will pierce the skulls of every racist cop in America with no other causalities.

I like my highly improbable supposition more than yours.

I do too.

Time Immemorial
Backfire are you still in Huntington Beach?

NemeBro
Maybe someone who otherwise wouldn't have done so will now contact one of those people in authority because of this discussion. Which would mean this discussion served a purpose. I never thought of it that way. I'm gonna do that right now.

Jmanghan

"They should be fired."

Bla bla bla.

You're implying that my point is to ignore racist police and that your point, discussing police racism, will do something about it. Neither of those implications are true. Discussing it does shit all. If you want something done, call the police chief, commissioner, mayor, write your congressmen, write the president, campaign for political office and make laws, become a lawyer, etc. You know, stuff that would require you to do more than whine about it on a dying forum. smile Just because it wouldn't do anything, doesn't make it a pointless thread.

Tzeentch
You're implying that my point is to ignore racist police and that your point, discussing police racism, will do something about it. Neither of those implications are true. Discussing it does shit all It fulfills the function of this board, which is to discuss things. ._.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Tzeentch
It fulfills the function of this board, which is to discuss things. ._.

Ahhh, someone actually wants to address my point.

I would agree with you if this particular topic wasn't a dead horse in the GDF. You can only discuss police racism so many times with the same exact people before you run "out of content." Take a look at the other thread where Time Immemorial and I are recycling the same exact "thug" discussion we had in the GDF.

Jmanghan
Ahhh, someone actually wants to address my point.

I would agree with you if this particular topic wasn't a dead horse in the GDF. You can only discuss police racism so many times with the same exact people before you run "out of content." Take a look at the other thread where Time Immemorial and I are recycling the same exact "thug" discussion we had in the GDF. What are we supposed to do? Ignore it? By the time the public knows, the officer is already behind bars, or scheduled for a court date. We can't just go to the police chief, point at a random officer and say "Sir, that guy looks suspicious". So yes, these threads are pointless, but the problem can't just be ignored, we're here to say that we aren't staying silent about stuff like this.

Time Immemorial
Shh don't shed light on the double standard by using the word "thugs", as no one will address the issue. Much as Bardock and Omega quickly logged off and ran for the hills.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Jmanghan
What are we supposed to do? Ignore it?

Define "we" as you explicitly intend it to mean, here. Pretty please?

Before the rest of your post can be entertained, your ambiguous pronoun reference needs to be defined.

Robtard

"They should be fired."

Bla bla bla.

Oh, I guess you didn't get what I meant. I was mocking you.

BackFire
Backfire are you still in Huntington Beach?

Yes. Why?

Jmanghan
Define "we" as you explicitly intend it to mean, here. Pretty please?

Before the rest of your post can be entertained, your ambiguous pronoun reference needs to be defined. Us, the people in this thread???

Time Immemorial
Yes. Why?

I miss that place.

BackFire
I miss that place.

Did you live here as well? It's a nice place.

Time Immemorial
Did you live here as well? It's a nice place.

My buddy lives in Redondo Beach and spent lota time in MB.

dadudemon
Us, the people in this thread???

Thank you very much! I can now respond to your previous post (I substituted all of the ambiguous pronouns in your post with your above words so that you would not think I turned your points into strawman arguments).

What are the people in this thread supposed to do? Ignore it?

Take a look at the post you quoted. Then take a look at the post that quoted. Then take a look at that post quoted. That post is this:

Discussing it does shit all. If you want something done, call the police chief, commissioner, mayor, write your congressmen, write the president, campaign for political office and make laws, become a lawyer, etc. You know, stuff that would require you to do more than whine about it on a dying forum. smile

Therefore, in order for you to ask such a question, you have to have ignored a post that was already made.

To make my point even more simplistic, I already stated what would actually make a difference. I also stated why these threads are beating dead horses on KMC: we've had probably a dozen of these types of threads in the GDF.

By the time the public knows, the officer is already behind bars, or scheduled for a court date. The people of this thread can't just go to the police chief, point at a random officer and say "Sir, that guy looks suspicious".

Of course, that would be asinine. They should, instead, and if and only if they feel very very strongly about this particular situation (or others like it), do as I recommended in the quote of mine I just reposted.

So yes, these threads are pointless,

Now? Yes, they are rather pointless. We all get the news from far better sources than KMC, these days. We all have heard each other's arguments regarding police racism. We all know that police in the US are racist (but some think they are more racist than they are and some think they are less racist than they are...some don't think they are racist at all but those are morons and we ignore them).

In the past? No. These threads would not be pointless. This type of discussion could be brand new to some of us 8+ years ago. And it was.

These days? Yeah, very pointless.

but the problem can't just be ignored, the people of this thread are here to say that we aren't staying silent about stuff like this.

In that case, you should like a bunch of Facebook posts to save the children starving in Africa. That would be just as effective.

Holy shit, I'm hilarious. haermm

dadudemon
Oh, I guess you didn't get what I meant. I was mocking you.

Oh, this kind of response? The one where you ignore that I directly understood and addressed your point and you ignore that and say I didn't so you don't have to get into a lengthy argument because your feelings were hurt and don't have the energy for it and buttsex and poop?

Robtard
I still feel like you didn't understand that I was mocking you for trying to play Thread Topic Moderator again.

dadudemon
I still feel like you didn't understand that I was mocking you for trying to play Thread Topic Moderator again.

And I still feel like you ignored the point(s) I made and are still pretending I didn't "see what you did there." It was not some complicated point. It was quite obvious. And, no, your point was definitely not "stop playing thread moderator." That's just something you've started doing within the last few minutes or so because you think it is clever.

Your feelings were hurt. That much is obvious. Move on. Don't act all butthurt.

Robtard
That was a rather long "lolumad"

dadudemon
That was a rather long "lolumad"

I certainly do appreciate this roundabout accolade regarding it, though. smile

But, lest I get a big head (ha, it can't get any bigger both literally and figuratively), volume does not equal content. But I think I did a good job of making my point without being redundant. Oops, I might get into trouble for patting myself on the back, again. :O

BackFire
I might get into trouble for patting myself on the back, again. :O

I think everyone is used to you doing that.

dadudemon
I think everyone is used to you doing that.

It's not over until the whole bus cheers, though.

BackFire
Why stop there? Aim big, how about the whole stadium?

dadudemon
Why stop there? Aim big, how about the whole stadium?

I'm not sure if you got my reference...

BackFire
I'm not sure if you got my reference...

So many possible references about buses cheering.

dadudemon
So many possible references about buses cheering.

It was a reference to AC's over-the-top story about arguing with some homophobic dude on the bus. He pretended to "own" the dude in an argument and the climax/resolution of the story was, "...and the whole bus cheered."

I now use that phrase to self-deprecate. Heh, that sounds like a euphemism for masturbation.

Mindset
It was a reference to AC's over-the-top story about arguing with some homophobic dude on the bus. He pretended to "own" the dude in an argument and the climax/resolution of the story was, "...and the whole bus cheered."

I now use that phrase to self-deprecate. Heh, that sounds like a euphemism for masturbation. LtqEknAtyQQ

BackFire

I now use that phrase to self-deprecate. Heh, that sounds like a euphemism for masturbation.

I know.

Robtard
He'll know you know in about two weeks

Arhael
With all the known ****ups by police and bad rep I would expect current members to be somewhat more careful. Yet, they slam this guy at first opportunity. Does anyone even teach police in USA about basic safety, when physically handling someone?

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Arhael
Does anyone even teach police in USA about basic safety, when physically handling someone?
They teach them to do this.

In any direct/indirect physical confrontation, no matter how great or small, the police have the right to subdue the aggressor with whatever means necessary.
Suspects have no right to resist arrest.

The problem here is there seems to be no physical attack from the alleged suspect whatsoever.
But he may have resisted arrest, which led to him getting slammed on the floor and sustaining those injuries.

When my parents first migrated to the US, they were taught in a seminar that immigrants should not resist arrest if ever they get detained in the airport.
Answer the questions calmly and with confidence. Most immigration officers in the US airports are known to be racists.

The safest thing to do is just "go with the flow". If the police starts questioning you for whatever nonsensical reason they came up with, just answer them in earnest and you'll be fine.
US police sometimes go bonkers once in a while. It happens to all of us.

KingD19
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
They teach them to do this.

In any direct/indirect physical confrontation, no matter how great or small, the police have the right to subdue the aggressor with whatever means necessary.
Suspects have no right to resist arrest.

The problem here is there seems to be no physical attack from the alleged suspect whatsoever.
But he may have resisted arrest, which led to him getting slammed on the floor and sustaining those injuries.

When my parents first migrated to the US, they were taught in a seminar that immigrants should not resist arrest if ever they get detained in the airport.
Answer the questions calmly and with confidence. Most immigration officers in the US airports are known to be racists.

The safest thing to do is just "go with the flow". If the police starts questioning you for whatever nonsensical reason they came up with, just answer them in earnest and you'll be fine.
US police sometimes go bonkers once in a while. It happens to all of us.

The problem here is that he wasn't resisting. He was legitimately confused because he speaks not a lick of English, except the pretty much universal term for foreigners which is "No English". So there's no fault on the victim aside from simply taking a walk and "looking" black and not knowing the language of a country he doesn't live in.

Even if he did resist, he's a senior citizen and the amount of force they used is waaaaaaaay beyond overkill. He's lucky to be alive if that slam actually damaged his spine as severely as it did.

And @Arhael, the reason the cops don't care to stop this atrocious behavior is because for decades they've been getting away with shit like this, so why would they stop now? Even with clear evidence of police wrongdoing vs absolute innocence from the wronged party or the victims, there's still an extremely high percentage of the police either getting off scott free or the victim being charged for some reason.

I remember the guy who got arrested and then after the cops literally beat him bloody, he got sued for assaulting them and getting his blood on their uniforms.

Eric Garner was surrounded by 8-9 armed police officers and aside from verbally explaining his irritation, he wasn't resisting arrest. Then he gets choked out in an illegal hold, which is applied for far too long despite his cries he can't breathe. He keeps getting choked despite the fact that he's already on the ground and cuffed and can't do anything to fight back. When he dies, the cop gets off.

Robtard
There's also the question if the officer had due cause to touch/search the man in the first place.

Constitution of the United States - Fourth Amendment - Search and Seizure

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

The guy was seemingly just walking down the street. Not sure cops have the right to feel up your boybag because someone called and said "suspicious".

Astner
Informing an international forum dedicated to movies and comic books about American police brutality isn't going to change anything.

If you're upset, rally a few thousand people from your local area and demonstrate.

ArtificialGlory
BO8EpfyCG2Y

Quincy
The logic of some of these posts is suspect.

Why get upset that this is being discussed? If a topic can't be changed by talking about it, then this entire site is pointless, and you've got yourself in some kind of nexus of self-loathing by being here.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Quincy
The logic of some of these posts is suspect.

Why get upset that this is being discussed? If a topic can't be changed by talking about it, then this entire site is pointless, and you've got yourself in some kind of nexus of self-loathing by being here.
Yeah, well, DDD and Astner are both noted contrarians.

Time Immemorial
Cops are getting fired.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2015/02/second_police_officer_removed.html

Quincy
Was the trainee officer fired as well? Or just the officer who slammed the guy?

Time Immemorial
Was the trainee officer fired as well? Or just the officer who slammed the guy?

IDK. This guy parker should get serious jail time though.

Astner
I'm not upset. It's just that we have a new variation of this thread pop up every other week or so and people take the same sides and post the same responses and the thread doesn't lead anywhere.

Why? Because there's nothing to discuss. It's a heinous act. The only reason people are posting in this thread is because Time Immemorial decided to stir up some drama by playing the devil's advocate.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by Astner
Informing an international forum dedicated to movies and comic books about American police brutality isn't going to change anything.

If you're upset, rally a few thousand people from your local area and demonstrate.

Agreed, but see we also fear the long arm of the government. They will prolly shoot us.

Robtard
Originally posted by Astner

Okay DDM part two. Thanks for your valuable input.

Quincy

https://40.media.tumblr.com/96064fb9c0b3371eec2349149dc15f11/tumblr_ncwis7r8jF1t2ig4wo1_500.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.