Civil Rights activists protest the Oscars because no blacks are nominated.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
http://deadline.com/2015/02/oscars-al-sharpton-protest-diversity-controversy-1201377645/

Apparently it's because there are no black nominees. I'm against racism, but this is ridiculous. We don't have to like a black star, there doesn't need to be a black artist or star there. I don't think they understand that we aren't obligated to nominate an African-American man/woman.

wakkawakkawakka
Yeah this is pretty dumb. With that said I'm kind of disappointed David Oyelowo wasn't nominated for best actor.

Tzeentch
David Oyelowo was clearly snubbed, so the butt-angst was warranted.

Though I'm not sure casting it in a racial light is- DeCaprio has been snubbed like 20 times at this point. lol

Jmanghan
I just can't believe that they have the audacity to think they control who who should be nominated, it's not like it was ONLY celebrities that voted, it was the people too. :/

Mindset
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I just can't believe that they have the audacity to think they control who who should be nominated, it's not like it was ONLY celebrities that voted, it was the people too. :/ What people?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Tzeentch
David Oyelowo was clearly snubbed, so the butt-angst was warranted.

thumb up

Alright, sooooo...what do we do from here?

Mindset
Originally posted by dadudemon
thumb up

Alright, sooooo...what do we do from here? Cry.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Mindset
What people? Was under the impression that the general public
was able to vote on nominees? No?

Mindset
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Was under the impression that the general public
was able to vote on nominees? No? No.

Lestov16
I think Cooper should win

TBH, it doesn't matter though. I refuse to watch the Oscars after Pacific Rim got snubbed for a Visual Effects nomination and that shitty ass Lone Ranger won it instead. Oscars have never been objective standards of film quality IMO.

vansonbee
Originally posted by Mindset
No. Really? I never watch a full hour show, so this is new to me. Are the movies judged by old white men or something? Still wondering why the blacks are so angry!

I guess we should also file a a complaint from the Asian community as well. embarrasment

jaden101
Selma never done itself any favours by going ahead with filming without trying to get the licenses to use MLK's big speeches. Instead it's all paraphrasing and minor speeches because the rights to the big well known ones were already sold to another film studio for a movie that will likely never be made. Also the fact that Ayelowo done interviews bleating in front of the Lincoln memorial about how he deserved to be nominated was just crass. He then went on about black people not being nominated enough as if 12 years a slave, The Butler, Precious, What's Love got to do with it, Training Day, Ray, The Last King of Scotland, Hotel Rwanda, Glory and many more far better movies and performances than his were never made. It's not anyone else's fault they ****ed up making this movie.

Mindset
Originally posted by vansonbee
Really? I never watch a full hour show, so this is new to me. Are the movies judged by old white men or something? Still wondering why the blacks are so angry!

I guess we should also file a a complaint from the Asian community as well. embarrasment Voters
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS), a professional honorary organization, maintains a voting membership of 5,783 as of 2012.

Academy membership is divided into different branches, with each representing a different discipline in film production. Actors constitute the largest voting bloc, numbering 1,311 members (22 percent) of the Academy's composition. Votes have been certified by the auditing firm PricewaterhouseCoopers (and its predecessor Price Waterhouse) for the past 73 annual awards ceremonies.

All AMPAS members must be invited to join by the Board of Governors, on behalf of Academy Branch Executive Committees. Membership eligibility may be achieved by a competitive nomination or a member may submit a name based on other significant contribution to the field of motion pictures.

New membership proposals are considered annually. The Academy does not publicly disclose its membership, although as recently as 2007 press releases have announced the names of those who have been invited to join. The 2007 release also stated that it has just under 6,000 voting members. While the membership had been growing, stricter policies have kept its size steady since then.

In 2012, the results of a study conducted by The Los Angeles Times was published which revealed the demographic breakdown of approximately 88% of AMPAS' voting membership. Of the 5,100+ active voters confirmed, 94% were Caucasian, 77% were male, and 54% were found to be over the age of 60. 33% of voting members are former nominees (14%) and winners (19%).

In May 2011, the Academy sent a letter advising its 6,000 or so voting members that an online system for Oscar voting will be implemented in 2013.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Awards#Nomination

wakkawakkawakka
Originally posted by jaden101
Selma never done itself any favours by going ahead with filming without trying to get the licenses to use MLK's big speeches. Instead it's all paraphrasing and minor speeches because the rights to the big well known ones were already sold to another film studio for a movie that will likely never be made. Also the fact that Ayelowo done interviews bleating in front of the Lincoln memorial about how he deserved to be nominated was just crass. He then went on about black people not being nominated enough as if 12 years a slave, The Butler, Precious, What's Love got to do with it, Training Day, Ray, The Last King of Scotland, Hotel Rwanda, Glory and many more far better movies and performances than his were never made. It's not anyone else's fault they ****ed up making this movie.

He does have a point about there not being enough black nominations...though I'd argue that the nomination would benefit for being more diverse in general with the Oscars.

jaden101

dynamix
Nominations to fulfill quotas 1st and recognise exceptional performances 2nd would make the Oscars etc even more of a farce than they already are.

truth. it wouldn't even make sense.

wakkawakkawakka
Nominations to fulfill quotas 1st and recognise exceptional performances 2nd would make the Oscars etc even more of a farce than they already are.

Oh course, I'm arguing that the lack of diversity in general for the Oscar is rather disappointing. Recognizing a wider range a talent across the board would be beneficial.

Bentley
The Oscars kind of suck though.

Arhael
Those Civil Rights need to check wiki at least before starting their stupid protests.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ List_of_black_Academy_Award_winners_and_nominees#B
est_Actor_in_a_Leading_Role

Mindship
Nominations to fulfill quotas 1st and recognise exceptional performances 2nd would make the Oscars etc even more of a farce than they already are. This.

Time Immemorial
It's funny Hollywood snubs Black culture in Oscars but uses them as a public lynching against police/consertive folks after all the racial issues this year in America.

Time Immemorial
I was under the impression liberal Hollywood/celebrities was in the Afrocan American people's corner. I find it deplorable they use the black culture when they want and discard them they don't need them. There were some really good actors that deserved it. Certainly not Micahel Keeton as Birdman.

Bardock42
Claims of objectivity are hallmarks of racist thinking and action nowadays.

The Academy Awards are not just a representation of what exists, they also influence what happens.

Daisy Roberts
I wonder what will happen if there aren't whites among the nominees?))

Mindset
Originally posted by Daisy Roberts
I wonder what will happen if there aren't whites among the nominees?)) That will never happen, so who gives a shit?

Robtard
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
There were some really good actors that deserved it. Certainly not Micahel Keeton as Birdman.

Did you watch Birdman?

KingD19
Birdman is one of Keeton's best performances ever. Of all time.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.