New canon, good or bad?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WildBantha88
Even though the new canon is only just begun I would like your opinion on whether it is being handled well or poorly. Please explain why you feel this way

Zenwolf
I think it's kinda early even for that.

But eh....it's slippery. I'm digging the Vader solo even if it's only 1 issue in, Rebels is...a mixed bag for me, I like it at times, others not so much.

DARTH POWER
Love the fact that there's a story group now to keep it all consistent.

Technically there was before as well, but problem was Lucas would ignore them and do his own thing (which he was perfectly entitled to do) when it came to the higher canon mediums.

ILS
Son of Dathomir was meh, in all honesty. As the first piece of canon EU it didn't do much in the grand scheme of things, and the one thing we were all hoping for it to succeed in (epic fights between characters who have never clashed blades before), it ultimately failed in.

Rebels I have enjoyed so far, but I also acknowledge that it is nothing other than movie-filler (not necessarily a bad thing for everyone).

The new comics have been solid so far. The essence of the OT crew has been captured well in what will hopefully be a fresh set of stories. Vader and the Emperor are characterized perfectly by Aaron, and by including Boba Fett and a brand-new bounty hunter in Vader's first issue, my interest has been captured perpetually.

The novels appear to be equally if not more interesting, with them exploring lesser-used characters such as Ventress (who has always played the role of antagonist opposed to protag), Quinlan Vos, Tarkin and so on.

I think the success of the new canon hinges almost entirely on how well the movies do.

|King Joker|
Yeah, SoD was pretty underwhelming.

Everything else is pretty good for the most part. Rebels, Tarkin, Marvel's Star Wars and Vader, etc. The "new canon" seems promising.

Trocity
I just caught up on the new Marvel comics and honestly, they're pretty quality. I enjoyed them a lot more than I expected to.

Rebels is another story.

|King Joker|
Please share your story, Trocity.

ILS
Originally posted by Trocity
I just caught up on the new Marvel comics and honestly, they're pretty quality. I enjoyed them a lot more than I expected to. How did you react to seeing the Imperial Guards, looking badass and standing and shit?

Trocity
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Please share your story, Trocity.

Rebels just isn't... I dunno, serious? enough for me. Granted, I only watched the first few episodes, but in one of the early episodes, the ease with which Ezra tricks the stormtroopers and escapes from his cell and just other little things. It's too geared towards younger children imo, but like I said, I'm sure it gets more serious and interesting later on, I just haven't really stuck with it.

Originally posted by ILS
How did you react to seeing the Imperial Guards, looking badass and standing and shit?

LOL. They really are BA background scenery.

NewGuy01
It's very much like TCW; it's not particularly good right now, save for the episode where Tarkin debuted, but I have confidence that it will improve in later seasons.

Nephthys
Personally I really like it. It isn't super serious, and I don't think it should be. The original movies weren't and I find myself deeply responding to how similar Rebels feels to it in terms of tone. The stormtroopers were kind of derps there as well if you'll recall.

I'm also liking the slightly lower stakes and more personal feel. Again, it's reminding me a lot of ANH where it's not all CHOSEN ONE GREAT HERO EPIC JOURNEY and is more about about people trying to make a difference and their personal struggles against an evil force that utterly dwarfs them.

ares834
Originally posted by Trocity
Rebels just isn't... I dunno, serious? enough for me. Granted, I only watched the first few episodes, but in one of the early episodes, the ease with which Ezra tricks the stormtroopers and escapes from his cell and just other little things. It's too geared towards younger children imo, but like I said, I'm sure it gets more serious and interesting later on, I just haven't really stuck with it.

It's a very good show. Far better than TCW. Yes, the first few episodes weren't all that great. I actually recall being disgusted by the first episode. But it really comes into its own about half away through season 1.

FreshestSlice
TCW was a pretty good show though. I might watch Rebels if it's "much better."

|King Joker|
It isn't. But that's coming from a pretty big fan of TCW so take it as you will.

The_Tempest
Trocity

Rebels is ok. Conceptually, I love the idea of a low-key, low-scale adventure involving cosmically insignificant characters and their struggles against an omnipotent Empire in a galaxy far, far away. Aka Firefly but in Star Wars.

Unfortunately, that's really not what's been delivered. The Empire is portrayed largely as a bunch of incompetent boobs {arguably worse than the Separatists imo} and the inclusion of film characters like Vader, Lando & Tarkin {in a transparent attempt to milk the cash cow} only serves to make the titular rebels more important than what they need to be and consequently make the Star Wars universe smaller. References to major events & characters and, perhaps, eventual cameos by the likes of Vader and Tarkin are all well and good but suffice it to say that these clowns are punching well above their paygrade. Creative issues like shoddy dialogue and questionable pacing that have plagued the franchise for years and years continue to manifest to some degree in Rebels.

On the flipside, the creative authorities behind Rebels aren't suffering from the identity crisis that plagued TCW and have a cohesive, personal narrative that allows for some consistent and engaging character development. So there's that.

Comparing it to TCW, I'd say Rebels is much more consistent in its quality than TCW ever was: it has yet to plummet to the depths TCW did and it's also yet to match its highest points. As lame as some of the episodes are, we aren't getting stories about Threepio & Artoo being kidnapped by bounty hunters in the middle of a shopping spree, thank God. Nor are we getting close to the thrills of "The Lawless."

It's fine imo. Doesn't evoke the same passion in me that TCW did in either its triumphs or failures. My interest in it is mostly clinical. Like most things Star Wars, it's not as good as it could be but it could be worse.

SIDIOUS 66
Not to mention that, while in TCW we didn't see as much separatist victories as we should have, we did see the republic suffering many casualties, making the "bad guys" seem far more threatening than what we will see from the Empire in Rebels, with it now being aired on Disney, which wouldn't be a problem given that it focuses on a small group rather than the galaxy as a whole, but I feel that the early interference of Tarkin is making the small group out to be much more problematic to the empire at large than what they should be, thus making the GE seem less threatening. Like Temp said, small cameo appearances of the higher ranks is all well and good, but not Tarkin's direct involvement in exterminating these particular rebels. I mean, what's next? Tarkin just leaves after exposing the threat Kanan and crew present? So far, I don't like where the show is heading. Hopefully they pull it off.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Nephthys
Personally I really like it. It isn't super serious, and I don't think it should be. The original movies weren't and I find myself deeply responding to how similar Rebels feels to it in terms of tone. The stormtroopers were kind of derps there as well if you'll recall.

Problem is...no, they weren't. The GE and Stormtroopers were NEVER incompetent in the movies.

ares834
Da fuq you talking about?

They got their asses handed to them by Teddy bears and were incapable of hitting the broadside of a farm.

Edit: Look at this display of competence!

raF9wfPxir8

Zenwolf
Originally posted by ares834
Da fuq you talking about?

They got their asses handed to them by Teddy bears and were incapable of hitting the broadside of a farm.

Yeah, because it's not like they weren't outnumbered or anything, it's not like their mission wasn't to go and just capture a strike force, it's not like they were just fighting Ewoks, no the Ewoks didn't have help from Rebel SpecForce and the top gunslinger in the galaxy and his Wookiee companion or anything, it's not like one of their heavily armed vehicles wasn't stolen and it turned around the entire battle against them.

Also lol at them not being able to hit anything. You must be joking Ares, otherwise you'd know that Stormtroopers made hella accurate shots, one of which was very impressive.

Also amusing, I swear people don't watch movies anymore to see the context behind scenes even when it's spelled out right infront of them.

Luke and co were allowed to leave the DS, hence the reason why the Stormtroopers missed...do you not recall the dialogue literally right after their escape?

It's not like the Empire wasn't trying to find the hidden Rebel base or anything....yeah, they should just kill the guys heading straight for the base instead, that is a completely smart move.

WildBantha88
I'm going to make a thread with my thoughts on rebels

ares834
The argument that the Stormtroopers were missing on purpose during the Death Star has always been asinine. Sure, Vader and Tarkin were willing to let the rebels escape but that doesn't mean the Stormies were just standing around waiting to be killed...

Zenwolf
The argument that the Stormtroopers were missing on purpose during the Death Star has always been asinine. Sure, Vader and Tarkin were willing to let the rebels escape but that doesn't mean the Stormies were just standing around waiting to be killed...

Apparently you don't know Stormtroopers then, they follow orders to the letter, no matter what. Also how is it asinine exactly? That's what happened, there isn't really an argument.

ares834
It's asinine to believe that entire squads of soldiers are going to follow an order to intentionally miss and allow themselves and fellow soldiers to be shot.... And no, it's not "what happened". It's never stated in the films or script. It's just a shitty theory some fans have based on the fact that Vader and Co let them escape.

Zenwolf
It's asinine to believe that entire squads of soldiers are going to follow an order to intentionally miss and allow themselves and fellow soldiers to be shot.... And no, it's not "what happened". It's never stated in the films or script. It's just a shitty theory some fans have based on the fact that Vader and Co let them escape.

Yeah, because the dialogue didn't mention that they were let go or anything by the Empire....right.

Tarkin: "Are they away?"

Vader: "They just made the jump into hyperspace."

Tarkin: "You sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I've taken an awful risk Vader, this had better work."

Then later...

Leia: "They let us go."

Leia: "Their tracking us."

The Empire was trying to find the Rebel base, in what sense would they kill the group going directly to the base?

It was pretty much flat out said, that they were let go.

Also yes they would, Stormtroopers were trained to follow orders and ignore casualties.

ares834
facepalm

Are you dense or did you not read my post? I said "Vader and Co let them escape." However, no where is it stated that the Stormies are in on the plan. And, well, it's borderline ridiculous to believe they are.

chilled monkey
Originally posted by WildBantha88
I'm going to make a thread with my thoughts on rebels

Please do. That would be interesting.

Emperordmb
Or, Vader and Tarkin simply didn't send as many storm troopers after them as they should've.

What a few squads? The Millennium Falcon relatively unprotected? Four TIE fighters sent after them as they made their escape?

Vader and Tarkin didn't need to tell the stormies to suck for Luke and friends to escape. All they needed to do was adjust the strategy with which they deployed the stormies.

ares834
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Or, Vader and Tarkin simply didn't send as many storm troopers after them as they should've.

What a few squads? The Millennium Falcon relatively unprotected? Four TIE fighters sent after them as they made their escape?

Vader and Tarkin didn't need to tell the stormies to suck for Luke and friends to escape. All they needed to do was adjust the strategy with which they deployed the stormies.

thumb up

Exactly.

Zenwolf
facepalm

Are you dense or did you not read my post? I said "Vader and Co let them escape." However, no where is it stated that the Stormies are in on the plan. And, well, it's borderline ridiculous to believe they are.

Why is it ridiculous to believe that they were? It doesn't have to be stated that the Stormtroopers knew....why would Tarkin and Vader be the only ones knowing about the plan?

Plus who do you think placed the homing beacon aboard the falcon? I don't think Vader or Tarkin would do it personally.

But fine, believe what you will.

ares834
I never said Vader and Tarkin were the only ones who knew. Rather I was saying that all the STs didn't know. As for the ridiculous, it's the ST intentionally throwing themselves into the meat grinder. It's a big step from following orders to serving as a meat shield.

Zenwolf
I never said Vader and Tarkin were the only ones who knew. Rather I was saying that all the STs didn't know. As for the ridiculous, it's the ST intentionally throwing themselves into the meat grinder. It's a big step from following orders to serving as a meat shield.

So you know, Stormtroopers have taken on suicide missions and have no fear of death. So....it's not really ridiculous. They follow their orders to the letter, it doesn't matter if they die.

But fine Ares, believe what you want, but Stormtroopers don't suck at the end of the day.

ares834
They do. smile

ANH, RotJ, and now Rebels confirm it. thumb up

The_Tempest
They do. smile

ANH, RotJ, and now Rebels confirm it. thumb up

...Do you typically enjoy it when the bad guys suck or is this motivated by some sort of nostalgia induced boner for the OT?

DARTH POWER
Man I love Stormtroopers just because of their outfit. Still look much better than any Clonetroopers ever did. But it is a shame they're not anywhere near as competent as the Clones.

ILS
Are you dense or did you not read my post? The sign of a promising debater thumb up

Nothing like accusing the opposition of bring dense to get your point across.

Revanchiste
Even though the new canon is only just begun I would like your opinion on whether it is being handled well or poorly. Please explain why you feel this way

They needn't to erase everythings I mean if they make a good moovie with better a better story. The esthetic of Dark empire series was total shit. So make better graphics etc...

They pretext : free artiscal blabla...

But the EU is REALLY OPEN !!!!!!!! You are already totaly free ! You make your moovie awsome you get the canon !

The rumor say than they have echues with the scenarios... They must follow the construction of previous moovies.

ares834
Originally posted by The_Tempest
...Do you typically enjoy it when the bad guys suck or is this motivated by some sort of nostalgia induced boner for the OT?

Not sure where you got the idea that I enjoy incompetent villains... However, other villains (in both the OT and Rebels) make up for the STs lack of competency.

Originally posted by ILS
The sign of a promising debater thumb up

Nothing like accusing the opposition of bring dense to get your point across.

And had you bothered to read the argument, you would see he clearly misread or ignored a direct statement I had. Yeah, it happens.

Revanchiste
Why rebooting all the entire EU when the EU allow you to produce a REMAKE?????

ILS
And had you bothered to read the argument, you would see he clearly misread or ignored a direct statement I had. Yeah, it happens. I read the argument. Nothing warranted calling him dense. You, on the other hand......

ILS
Lol actually, Wolf cornered Ares in that debate, at which point Ares called him dense and gave his own fan-fiction interpretation of events that are supported by nothing.

I think it's safe to say that Wolf isn't the dense party here.

ares834
Cornered? In what way? He presented a fan theory that says the STs were ordered to miss and act incompetent, something that is never stated in the movie/script. I, however, never once presented "my own fan-fiction" but rather pointed out that Vader and Co letting them go does not require the STs to miss on purpose and claimed it was ridiculous to believe soldiers would follow such orders.

ILS
1. It only makes sense that they would tell the stormtroopers not to kill them, if they wanted them to escape. Their job is to prevent them from escaping. I doubt they took a look at a monarch, a farmboy, a smuggler and wookiee and thought "Nah... our elite fighting force won't be able to take them out even if we give them orders to do so... let's just not tell the stormtroopers that we want them alive. Tell them to shoot to kill and if that ****s up our plans, oh well, at least ares834 from KMC won't look dense".

2. It's actually a pretty well documented fact that stormtroopers will follow the Emperor's orders without question, regardless of what they are. From EU reading, anyway.

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by ILS
It's actually a pretty well documented fact that stormtroopers will follow the Emperor's orders without question, regardless of what they are. From EU reading, anyway.

There was a comic focusing on the story of a certain ST who was killed by Leia in the opening sequence of ANH. His last thoughts being that he, like all STs, only lived to follow orders and that his death was absolutely meaningless to the rest of the Empire, including his fellow STs. I believe it was in one of the tales, so it may or may not have been canon. However, IIRC, the gist of the comic elaborated on Zen's point.

It's not so hard to believe, especially living in a world where we, ourselves, have soldiers who are trained to kill themselves if the plan calls for it, hence all the suicide terrorist attacks. I think Ares point, though, is that he's not convinced that the STs were given orders to allow themselves to be killed.

SIDIOUS 66
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Man I love Stormtroopers just because of their outfit. Still look much better than any Clonetroopers ever did.

You really think so?

I always thought the clone troopers look more badass.

ILS
I don't think there orders were to allow themselves to be killed, either. Just that they weren't supposed to kill the rebels but to make their escape seem convincing enough that they wouldn't feel like it was a set up.

And yeah, reading "The Mandalorian Armor" atm, and Xizor and Palpatine speak for a long time about why all of those who are in his empire are so fear-addled that their lives become meaningless. All they are to Sidious is a tool in his hands, to be used for whatever purpose he see's fit. I don't see them giving their lives as being too crazy of a concept, tbh.

Revanchiste
I share this theory....
They didn't have direct order they just take inexperienced one.....

I don't know how but the incompetence of the storm troopers is linked to the will of destroying the rebels base...
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
You really think so?

Yhea especialy during the clone war show the microserie where they needn'tto talk..

Not in TWC where it's a fun retconny show where they never shutt up and try to look like americans marines....
This is the probelm with TWC they never shutt up... They keep talking talking and talking !

Zenwolf
There was a comic focusing on the story of a certain ST who was killed by Leia in the opening sequence of ANH. His last thoughts being that he, like all STs, only lived to follow orders and that his death was absolutely meaningless to the rest of the Empire, including his fellow STs. I believe it was in one of the tales, so it may or may not have been canon. However, IIRC, the gist of the comic elaborated on Zen's point.

It's not so hard to believe, especially living in a world where we, ourselves, have soldiers who are trained to kill themselves if the plan calls for it, hence all the suicide terrorist attacks. I think Ares point, though, is that he's not convinced that the STs were given orders to allow themselves to be killed.

Was in Tales 10, it also showed some flashbacks of how brutal Stormtrooper training was, they trained to the death IIRC. Kinda wished I picked up that particular issue before it went away...I can still get it, but have to buy a bundle of other Tales for $14.99, don't think i'll do that just for 1 issue.

Also I don't see why they need to have it shown that Stormtroopers were given direct orders not to kill....it's told that Luke and co were let go. The Empire was trying to find the Rebel base, it would make sense to give the illusion that the crew wouldn't just walk out of a heavily guarded Imperial battle station.

Why isn't that enough?...

Revanchiste
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Was in Tales 10, it also showed some flashbacks of how brutal Stormtrooper training was, they trained to the death IIRC. Kinda wished I picked up that particular issue before it went away...I can still get it, but have to buy a bundle of other Tales for $14.99, don't think i'll do that just for 1 issue.

Also I don't see why they need to have it shown that Stormtroopers were given direct orders not to kill....it's told that Luke and co were let go. The Empire was trying to find the Rebel base, it would make sense to give the illusion that the crew wouldn't just walk out of a heavily guarded Imperial battle station.

The problem is that the idea of strom troopers = total shit trooper came popular so we had some little not fan service but Id on't know how to explain this..
Still storm troopers suck in espisode VI !

They also train some stormies at cheap cost to do the police job on some world located in the outer rim... Or guard teh death star...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVONEL55HPI

ares834
Originally posted by ILS
1. It only makes sense that they would tell the stormtroopers not to kill them, if they wanted them to escape. Their job is to prevent them from escaping. I doubt they took a look at a monarch, a farmboy, a smuggler and wookiee and thought "Nah... our elite fighting force won't be able to take them out even if we give them orders to do so... let's just not tell the stormtroopers that we want them alive. Tell them to shoot to kill and if that ****s up our plans, oh well, at least ares834 from KMC won't look dense".

2. It's actually a pretty well documented fact that stormtroopers will follow the Emperor's orders without question, regardless of what they are. From EU reading, anyway.

1. And, like I've said again and again it's a theory. There are other ways the Empire may have used to "aid" the rebels escape. Beyond that, this is far from the only acts of incompetence seen by the Empire's troops thorougout the films.

2. Perhaps.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Revanchiste
The problem is that the idea of strom troopers = total shit trooper came popular so we had some little not fan service but Id on't know how to explain this..
Still storm troopers suck in espisode VI !

They also train some stormies at cheap cost to do the police job on some world located in the outer rim... Or guard teh death star...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVONEL55HPI

No they don't and they never were shit troopers, if people paid attention to their showings.

Also Stormtrooper training isn't cheap lol, no idea where that notion comes from.

Revanchiste
I know episode V....
But in mind of some peoples... They always think noobs when they see a storm tropers..

There is an elite training, I know. And I don't remember when and how palpatine decide to recruit more storm troopers in order to keep control on 5 or 6 world in the outer rim....

And on teh death star... Because palpatine quicly realise than you needn't elite troopers everywhere... There is boring post where just the sheer numbers of storm troopers can resolve any problems if something happen...

10% of the imperial army get a cheap training.... Because palpa recruite a lot...

+
To keep a decent skill you have to train, and most of "patroling troopers" begin to loose their skill. Making the training pointless....

The training begin to be a waste of timeand ressources...
The idea came topalptine : abuse of the image of the actual storm troopers an elite one. Yhea became like all those bad ass clones. Receive a shitty training and you will be an elite.
The training one some region have became a brain washing... With high pressure etc... In order to insure total loyauty and obeiscence to the empire.

Still the idea became latly.... 3-5 years after the rebellion on Kamino something like that... and it end quicly...

Zenwolf
/Sigh..

You clearly don't know Stormtroopers, the GE didn't give them shitty training or anything like that. The only branch that received bad training, was CompForce.

DARTH POWER
You really think so?

Oh yeah I've always loved the Stormtrooper look.

But yeah Clone Troopers look like they'd kick the crap out of Stormtroopers.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Oh yeah I've always loved the Stormtrooper look.

But yeah Clone Troopers look like they'd kick the crap out of Stormtroopers.

They are comparable tbh, as much as many don't want to hear that, they are.

|King Joker|
Filoni confirmed clones > stormies, for what it's worth.

ILS
Filoni also successfully retconned Luke saying that he was a Jedi at the beginning of RotJ. He actually only said it at the end.

Filoni thumb up

|King Joker|
thumb up

Revanchiste
/Sigh..

You clearly don't know Stormtroopers, the GE didn't give them shitty training or anything like that. The only branch that received bad training, was CompForce.

Find the exact number 12% of the imperial army receive this cheap training.

Where standard training have an high level of failure... The cheap one had a low level of failure so yhea... a sheer number of person sucess this training even if it was localiaze and didn't last long....

it make just a boom in the size of imperail army....

"Filoni confirmed clones > stormies, for what it's worth."
Superior training that favor skill to loyauty.
Because in anyway as long than the Kaminoan are well payed by the republic, clone will still loyal they are "PROGRAMMED" for...

Clones rebels on Kamino. Because the Kaminoan rebels and change their allegance and loyauty.... They prep a rebellion in the silence....

So after this rebellion happen... Loyauty begin to be the first preoccupation...

SIDIOUS 66

I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you.

Yeah, I used to own two of the bundled copies. Not sure how many there are. But even a few years ago, the single stories were hard to find, I had to purchase the bundled copies just for a few stories, so I could only imagine now.

The_Tempest
Not sure where you got the idea that I enjoy incompetent villains... However, other villains (in both the OT and Rebels) make up for the STs lack of competency.

Because stormtroopers represent the bulk of the Empire's forces. If stormtroopers are truly as incompetent as a more literal interpretation depicts them, then it not only undermines the narrative from a thematic perspective but also calls into question how the hell the Empire reigned absolutely for 20+ years.

So I'm always shocked when I see stormtrooper syndrome apologetics. It seems to derive from people who have a literal interpretation of the OT and regard the OT as sacrosanct and perfect or from people who don't understand the value of a formidable villain and the fact that the theme of the OT {underdog rebels vs. an all-powerful tyranny} requires that the Empire be bigger, stronger, and more powerful which in turn requires stormtroopers to be good at their job. thumb up

You never struck me as either sort of person hence my confusion.

{It's also interesting that those very same people often b1tch about the flaccid battle droids from the PT.}

Nephthys
I don't know, I always kind of accepted that stormtroopers were largely made up of ordinary recruits and wouldn't be too competent. It kind of fit for me with the Empire giving them crappy armor and ships that they really didn't give a shit about them other than as disposable fodder so didn't bother training them all that well. The Empire always felt so large and powerful that could afford that. And it kind of seemed appropriate with their own complacency and arrogance biting them in the ass and letting the plucky rebels actually compete with them.

Zenwolf
I don't know, I always kind of accepted that stormtroopers were largely made up of ordinary recruits and wouldn't be too competent. It kind of fit for me with the Empire giving them crappy armor and ships that they really didn't give a shit about them other than as disposable fodder so didn't bother training them all that well. The Empire always felt so large and powerful that could afford that. And it kind of seemed appropriate with their own complacency and arrogance biting them in the ass and letting the plucky rebels actually compete with them.

....Are you serious?....The Empire gave the Stormtroopers the best weapons and armor that they could afford and in no way shape or form, was the Empire ever incompetent as a whole. They were kicking the Rebels asses throughout the EU and also in the movies tbh, in one particular instance, the Rebels nearly lost their entire fleet due to a plan set by the Empire. Sure the TIE fighter wasn't that greatest in terms of armor and had no shielding, but it was by far one of the most maneuverable craft at the time and boasted weapons greater than an X-wing. Then came the likes of the TIE Interceptor, Aggressor, Phantom etc that made it better.

Other instances, their bases were destroyed. There's a reason why the Rebels was a hit and run operation, they were never gonna be able to straight up engage the Empire at all.

In fact quite honestly, the Rebels shouldn't have even won the GCW. The only reason they lasted so long, was because they were constantly on the move.

The Merchant
The EU even stated that Stormtroopers were their elite branch of troops.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The Merchant
The EU even stated that Stormtroopers were their elite branch of troops.

In virtually EVERY single book/sourcebook yeah...

The Merchant
People just misinterpret the Battle of Endor. Oh and Rebels isn't doing too much of a good job, although I like to think that planets like Lothal had newbies running around.

Zenwolf
People just misinterpret the Battle of Endor. Oh and Rebels isn't doing too much of a good job, although I like to think that planets like Lothal had newbies running around.

1. That is a gross understatement.

2. I kinda cringe at it, infact I think that was stated but they have had some alright showings. Nothing big, but still...even then, there's still a whole mess of new EU to explore and besides the movies already show the Stormtroopers as great anyway.

They also now have a few of the best accuracy feats in the new lore now when looking at the movies.

IE: The Speeder bike chase and Tatooine, where Obi-Wan comments that Stormtroopers > Sand People in terms of accuracy and we saw in EP 1 Sand People tagging and destroying Podracers which were moving fast.

Before someone brings up Obi-Wan wasn't at the race, it doesn't matter. He's lived on Tatooine for quite some time, he showed knowledge of Sand People being frightened, how they ride single file, his statement isn't baseless, he wouldn't have made it otherwise.

The Speeder Bike chase, that Scout Trooper made a ridiculously accurate shot with his blaster pistol considering he was driving one handed and he and Leia were driving on fast moving speeder bikes through the forest.

The Merchant
The Galactic Empire>>>Vitiate's Empire btw.

Zenwolf

Well there's a big can of worms you just opened up, although not sure it's appropriate for this thread.

Hope you can manage all the worms Merchant.

The Merchant
Pfft, these Dreks can't tell the difference between a nebulon-b Frigate and a Mon Calamari Star cruiser.

Revanchiste
I wasn't necessarily disagreeing with you.

Yeah, I used to own two of the bundled copies. Not sure how many there are. But even a few years ago, the single stories were hard to find, I had to purchase the bundled copies just for a few stories, so I could only imagine now.
Yhea the problem with this training is that it's a big waste of time ressources and men (this training got an high failure rating).
When this training was needed just to do some patrol things......
Palpa also clone a model of the perfect patroling guard. (Remember than after the rebellion of Kamino they begin the diversifications of the cloning on Kamino....)

Revanchiste

Galactic empire have a bigger fleet with better technology...

Still Vitiate have hord and hord of mega powerfull force users under his command, some fury fighters..... And some good intell...

1. That is a gross understatement.

2. I kinda cringe at it, infact I think that was stated but they have had some alright showings. Nothing big, but still...even then, there's still a whole mess of new EU to explore and besides the movies already show the Stormtroopers as great anyway.

They also now have a few of the best accuracy feats in the new lore now when looking at the movies.

IE: The Speeder bike chase and Tatooine, where Obi-Wan comments that Stormtroopers > Sand People in terms of accuracy and we saw in EP 1 Sand People tagging and destroying Podracers which were moving fast.

Before someone brings up Obi-Wan wasn't at the race, it doesn't matter. He's lived on Tatooine for quite some time, he showed knowledge of Sand People being frightened, how they ride single file, his statement isn't baseless, he wouldn't have made it otherwise.

The Speeder Bike chase, that Scout Trooper made a ridiculously accurate shot with his blaster pistol considering he was driving one handed and he and Leia were driving on fast moving speeder bikes through the forest.
I like exploring the EU I'd love disney to do that and do that well....
Like the rhand sorcerer
Anyone who have played the RPG or read the shadow of mindor know how awsome they are !
And please the RPG in question is made by the same editor than The KotOR campaign guide !

chilled monkey
Rebels is great. It's a lot of fun.

Other than that I haven't bothered with any of the so-called "new canon." With the state of the economy I don't want to waste my money and none of it looks interesting anyway.

So overall besides Rebels the new canon doesn't interest me in the slightest.

Revanchiste
In term of story better keep the old one....
That was good stuff like the apprentice...

WildBantha88
I don't know, I always kind of accepted that stormtroopers were largely made up of ordinary recruits and wouldn't be too competent. It kind of fit for me with the Empire giving them crappy armor and ships that they really didn't give a shit about them other than as disposable fodder so didn't bother training them all that well. The Empire always felt so large and powerful that could afford that. And it kind of seemed appropriate with their own complacency and arrogance biting them in the ass and letting the plucky rebels actually compete with them. kind of like rome

WildBantha88
Well there's a big can of worms you just opened up, although not sure it's appropriate for this thread.

Hope you can manage all the worms Merchant. made the thread

Revanchiste
kind of like rome

That's right don't feed imperial propaganda !

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.