Movie characters and their comic book counterparts

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

TheVaultDweller
So it's quite common for movie adaptations of comic characters to be significantly weaker than their comic counterparts. But it isn't always the case. So I thought it could be interesting to list the movie versions of characters who actually appear to be either equal to, or more powerful than, their comic counterparts.

Two that come to mind for me are Quicksilver and the Thing.

Based on the Pentagon scene, movie Quicksilver is probably multiple times faster than his comic counterpart.

Same goes for the Thing, with the London Eye feat. Some sources put its mass at 2100 tons while others have it at 1700. Either way, lifting it (with some assistance from Reed and Sue to keep it stable), easily puts him in the Class 100+ strength level, which is well above what his 616 counterpart is normally capable of.

So which other movie characters live up to, or surpass, their comic versions?

marwash22
Manhattan.

he didn't do everything onscreen that he did in the comic, but it's seems if the movie was even more about him and he had even more screen time, he would've showed capable of everything he's known for.

marwash22
there's a couple bastardized characters (namely, Callisto and Shaw) from the X-men franchise who had powers they didn't have in the comics... making them more powerful than they were supposed to be.

Silent Master
Comic Thing has done stuff like dual wield 100 ton swords and compressing cars into baseballs and then throwing them hard enough to break the sound barrier and IIRC Quicksilver has run to other countries before people can finish a sentence.

Mindset
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
So it's quite common for movie adaptations of comic characters to be significantly weaker than their comic counterparts. But it isn't always the case. So I thought it could be interesting to list the movie versions of characters who actually appear to be either equal to, or more powerful than, their comic counterparts.

Two that come to mind for me are Quicksilver and the Thing.

Based on the Pentagon scene, movie Quicksilver is probably multiple times faster than his comic counterpart.

Same goes for the Thing, with the London Eye feat. Some sources put its mass at 2100 tons while others have it at 1700. Either way, lifting it (with some assistance from Reed and Sue to keep it stable), easily puts him in the Class 100+ strength level, which is well above what his 616 counterpart is normally capable of.

So which other movie characters live up to, or surpass, their comic versions? QS has dodged lightning and outran radio waves iirc.

KingD19
Comic QS is way faster especially recently.

Like Silent said, a year or so ago he got scared and ran to not a different country, but a different continent. And came back before a sentence was finished.

And he raced halfway around the world in 1 1/2 minute I believe.

TheVaultDweller
Huh, didn't know that about Quicksilver. Seems he has been amped a lot in recent years. Guess they couldn't have his fake-nephew be faster than he is. Thing is still stronger though IMO. He would have been lifting and holding well over 200 tons during that scene.

Esau Cairn
Movie version Batman...slow, bulky, restricted fighting skills compared to comic version.

Q99
Does it have to be comic characters? Sometimes novel-to-movie power levels also change.

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Huh, didn't know that about Quicksilver. Seems he has been amped a lot in recent years. Guess they couldn't have his fake-nephew be faster than he is. Thing is still stronger though IMO. He would have been lifting and holding well over 200 tons during that scene.

Quicksilver got a power up when he got speed powers again.

He was about mach 2 in the old days, lost his powers in House of M, temporarily got time powers, then eventually got speed again in Mighty Avengers, faster than ever.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Q99
Quicksilver got a power up when he got speed powers again.

He was about mach 2 in the old days, lost his powers in House of M, temporarily got time powers, then eventually got speed again in Mighty Avengers, faster than ever.

Yeah, I lost interest in him with the whole Terrigen Crystals nonsense, so haven't really been keeping up with him in recent times. I know he got his speed powers back after some hallucinations or something along those lines, but not that his powers got amped.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.